Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

The grad school dorm I just moved into doesn't let me use a Chromecast due to the secure wireless network. Does the Fire Stick work differently than the Chromecast when it comes to controlling it via WiFi?

If not then I think my best option is the Nexus TV?
Your school uses WPA2 Enterprise or something?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Aren't you an adult now?

Try creating your own wi-fi network, or using a VPN like Pertino.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

The grad school dorm I just moved into doesn't let me use a Chromecast due to the secure wireless network. Does the Fire Stick work differently than the Chromecast when it comes to controlling it via WiFi?

If not then I think my best option is the Nexus TV?

Do you mean you need to use a login portal instead of just SSID with a password? If that's the case I believe Fire TV does support that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or you can create your own with a wifi-wifi bridge.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
I'm trying to get NFL Gamepass to work on my Fire TV through Plex but I keep getting the error "Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied". Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Raymn posted:

Do you mean you need to use a login portal instead of just SSID with a password? If that's the case I believe Fire TV does support that.

I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work. When we try to set it up it just can't connect to the wireless and doesn't ask for any credentials. There's no login portal, just an SSID/password.

I emailed the IT people and they said Chromecast won't work on the school networks and running our own wifi is also prohibited. Whether 'prohibited' is synonymous with 'frowned upon' in this situation remains to be seen.

With the Fire Stick, I'm wondering if it's controlled differently with it's own interface for browsing, controlling settings, etc. since it has it's own remote and you aren't just casting the video from another device. It's not my Chromecast so I've never used one nor have I used a Fire Stick.

Any more details on the VPN or the wifi-wifi bridge since those wouldn't require me buying anything else?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BIFF! posted:

I'm trying to get NFL Gamepass to work on my Fire TV through Plex but I keep getting the error "Cannot load M3U8: crossdomain access denied". Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I only ever had luck getting gamepass in Plex working on my Apple TV last year, no other clients gave me luck. This year I can't get it working on that either, even though I've definitely got the latest release as it separates US and Int'l versions. At least ATV has a legit app now so I shouldn't need it.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work. When we try to set it up it just can't connect to the wireless and doesn't ask for any credentials. There's no login portal, just an SSID/password.

I emailed the IT people and they said Chromecast won't work on the school networks and running our own wifi is also prohibited. Whether 'prohibited' is synonymous with 'frowned upon' in this situation remains to be seen.

With the Fire Stick, I'm wondering if it's controlled differently with it's own interface for browsing, controlling settings, etc. since it has it's own remote and you aren't just casting the video from another device. It's not my Chromecast so I've never used one nor have I used a Fire Stick.

Any more details on the VPN or the wifi-wifi bridge since those wouldn't require me buying anything else?

Well, to be honest in a large shared wifi environment Chromecast probably isn't a good idea since anyone else on the same SSID will be able to use it. Fire stick might not run into this issue since it has a UI of its own and doesn't require a second device to use.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chromecasts can be controlled locally without sharing a Wi-Fi network, right? Can they be set to only accept command in this way?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

BIFF! posted:

I had this same problem with my nexus player, some people have luck with forcing transcoding for channels but nothing I tried worked.

I just gave up on getting it to work in Plex and use the Gamepass add-on in Kodi instead. That works great.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Raymn posted:

Well, to be honest in a large shared wifi environment Chromecast probably isn't a good idea since anyone else on the same SSID will be able to use it. Fire stick might not run into this issue since it has a UI of its own and doesn't require a second device to use.

Yeah that's another reason even if it could connect. And that point about the fire stick is what makes me think it might work.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I'm planning on re-ripping my Blu-Ray and DVD collection. I guess it's all gonna be straight rips to MKV without any encoding. Will the Plex app be able to play these on an iPhone 6?

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 14, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Monday_ posted:

I'm planning on re-ripping my Blu-Ray and DVD collection. I guess it's all gonna be straight rips to MKV without any encoding. Will the Plex app be able to play these on an iPhone 6?

Provided your Plex Server can transcode your remuxes, then yep! The app on your iPhone should play them without a hitch. How many people do you think will be requesting content from your Plex server concurrently?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Don't newer chromecasts use Multicast DNS (bonjour)? This is likely a mDNS issue, either generally incompatible or specifically disabled. It is commonly disabled on networks such as yours as IT heads see it is causing a lot of overhead, and creates some fringe security issues.

A VPN won't help you, neither will a bridge. A bridge in particular could get you into trouble.
You can connect your computer via ethernet, then create an ad-hoc WiFi network which you join with the chromecast. Performance beyond a few feet is usually very poor however.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

teagone posted:

Provided your Plex Server can transcode your remuxes, then yep! The app on your iPhone should play them without a hitch. How many people do you think will be requesting content from your Plex server concurrently?

Only myself. I had time to rip a blu-ray and a few DVDs this morning and they both work fine. Thanks for the quick response though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

kri kri posted:

Anyone have any tips for getting rwd/ffw to work better on my Nexus player? Latest app, latest server version and the experience is dreadful if I need to fast forward on this thing. I have little to no issues with my mobile apps, would getting an ethernet USB otg be worth it? Running 5ghz wifi at the moment.

Anyone have any ideas about this? I got a USB ethernet adapter. Whenever I FFW the video keeps playing as normal but I can see the seek bar moving forward. I then click play and it freezes the video. I then need to click the back button and then re-start the video. I reset the app data last night to no avail. Everything else works fine on my Nexus Player, netflix, kodi, etc.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

kri kri posted:

Anyone have any ideas about this? I got a USB ethernet adapter. Whenever I FFW the video keeps playing as normal but I can see the seek bar moving forward. I then click play and it freezes the video. I then need to click the back button and then re-start the video. I reset the app data last night to no avail. Everything else works fine on my Nexus Player, netflix, kodi, etc.

I had this happen on one file, turned out the file was corrupted towards then end. Does this happen on all files?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Slash posted:

I had this happen on one file, turned out the file was corrupted towards then end. Does this happen on all files?

Yep

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

kri kri posted:

You might have better luck posting about it in the Plex forums.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

You might have better luck posting about it in the Plex forums.

Already posted there, they are not helpful at all aside from "works for me"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Can you confirm that your server is not transcoding during playback? From my own experience,there have been instances where the Plex Web activity shows content being "Direct Played" but upon refreshing it shows that the content is being transcoded. This is mostly for remotely played back streams though. Other ways to see if Plex is transcoding is to open up the task manager and look for the "PlexTrasncoder" or "PlexNewTrasncoder" process is running. Also CPU levels should be rising and whatnot.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

teagone posted:

Can you confirm that your server is not transcoding during playback? From my own experience,there have been instances where the Plex Web activity shows content being "Direct Played" but upon refreshing it shows that the content is being transcoded. This is mostly for remotely played back streams though. Other ways to see if Plex is transcoding is to open up the task manager and look for the "PlexTrasncoder" or "PlexNewTrasncoder" process is running. Also CPU levels should be rising and whatnot.

Yep already verified its 100% being direct played. At a total loss...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just moved into an apartment and I'm looking to expand my home network quite a bit. I have a few threads bookmarked (Home network, NAS, HTPC) but I figured since I'd also like to get Plex (or Subsonic) set up properly on this network, it'd be best to start here.

Currently I just use a desktop that I run Subsonic from for my music. It works great but I'd like to be able to turn my computer off and still stream. I'm thinking of getting a NAS to store all my media, an HTPC to stream the media to the TV, and a Steam Link to stream games from my desktop to the TV. So my question is where is the best place to install and run Plex from? I'm thinking of digging out my PS3 and using that as an HTPC with PS3 Media Server for now, but I assume running Plex/Subsonic from that is out of the question. Is it worth springing for a NAS that's beefy enough for Plex?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Jehde posted:

I just moved into an apartment and I'm looking to expand my home network quite a bit. I have a few threads bookmarked (Home network, NAS, HTPC) but I figured since I'd also like to get Plex (or Subsonic) set up properly on this network, it'd be best to start here.

Currently I just use a desktop that I run Subsonic from for my music. It works great but I'd like to be able to turn my computer off and still stream. I'm thinking of getting a NAS to store all my media, an HTPC to stream the media to the TV, and a Steam Link to stream games from my desktop to the TV. So my question is where is the best place to install and run Plex from? I'm thinking of digging out my PS3 and using that as an HTPC with PS3 Media Server for now, but I assume running Plex/Subsonic from that is out of the question. Is it worth springing for a NAS that's beefy enough for Plex?

Put your computer in a closet and just keep it running plex. That or build a cheap server from craigslist parts or something and put that in your closet.

Its not worth running plex off a NAS, in my opinion due to the fact it won't be able to keep up with any transcoding you need.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've been running Plex server and Plex Home Theater from an old 2010-2011 era Mackbook Pro with a busted screen for a few years and it makes a great server.

Occasionally with really big files it doesn't like transcoding to Chromecast due to lack of horsepower, but I can usually direct stream to Plex Home Theater on my real laptop just fine so it's still holding up.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Currently I'm running the server on an old i7 system of mine. I was thinking about getting a Intel i5 NUC to replace it since having a Dell XPS running 24/7 isn't great on my power bill. About half of my videos would need to be transcoded, but I've limited the remote players to 480p and the most streams I've ever had going was three.

I was also looking at the QNAP TS-251, but I'm not sure that would be enough to run Plex and a couple other apps on it.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
You could probably get away with transcoding a single stream on that QNAP. Their 'SMB' section of NAS hardware has some better CPU options but it's going to skyrocket the cost. Also keep in mind the QNAP Plex package is pretty much always going to be out of date via QNAP app/package manager so you have to install it manually from Plex website, which luckily does publish QNAP packages.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
One feature I'd love for PMS would be the ability to specify how long to cache re-encoded media for offline sync. For example, 2 weeks ago, I sync'd a movie to my iPad, and then yesterday I sync'd that same movie to another iPad, but the server had to do the whole time-consuming re-encoding process and then downloaded to the iPad. If the data could be cached for a period of time, so all it has to do is download the pre-encoded media, that would be amazing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FWIW (re: PMS on a NAS machine), it couldn't handle transcoding anything but 480p content on my Seagate Nas Pro, which runs on a dual-core Intel 1.7Ghz processor.

http://www.seagate.com/products/network-attached-storage/business-storage/seagate-nas-pro/

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Has anyone experienced really terrible performance on the PS3 plex app? Actually steaming the media content works just fine to the PS3 plex app but navigating the menus is extremely sluggish. Not sure what's going on. Plex on my iOS devices and laptop connecting to my server work just fine. It's just the PS3 app that is having trouble.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Is there a way I can get Plex to transcode 5.1 DTS to Dolby Digital? While my receiver does support DTS, my TV won't pass it through, and my receiver doesn't do HDMI, just optical.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

chaosbreather posted:

Is there a way I can get Plex to transcode 5.1 DTS to Dolby Digital? While my receiver does support DTS, my TV won't pass it through, and my receiver doesn't do HDMI, just optical.

Perhaps you can edit the streaming profile for your device server-side.

On the Roku there are system setting checkboxes for allowable audio codecs and Plex obeys them.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

eddiewalker posted:

Perhaps you can edit the streaming profile for your device server-side.

On the Roku there are system setting checkboxes for allowable audio codecs and Plex obeys them.

Oh, sorry. I'm using Plex Home Theatre on Windows. Unselecting DTS in audio settings downmixes it to stereo but not Dolby 5.1.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Might be worth sticking in a cheap sound card that can do optical via the 3.5mm jack. Will be enough for DTS then.

e: check your motherboard to see if the onboard one doesn't do this already, you might be pleasantly surprised.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Might be worth sticking in a cheap sound card that can do optical via the 3.5mm jack. Will be enough for DTS then.

e: check your motherboard to see if the onboard one doesn't do this already, you might be pleasantly surprised.

My computer is really really far away from my receiver, and it only has one working optical jack, and I have a lot of poo poo that needs to put sound out.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive been using emby+kodi for my Home theater, but i still use plex to watch/listen to things when im away from home.

If the new appletv does plex , id consider using plex exclusively.

One reason i dislike plex is that the metadata doesnt store locally, like emby. I hate having to continually tweak cover art and naming ( ordering the james bond movies together, xmen movies, etc) anytime i make change that forces me to rescan a folder. Plex is supposed ro be able to scrape local metadata, but ive never been able to get it to work. My movies are all in a single folder called "movies " and the nfo files And art are in there with them. Any time i set the scraper to local, it doesnt work. Sometimes it gets plot, but it never gets art.

Has anyone successfully used local metadata for plex? Im convinced it doesn't work

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

Ive been using emby+kodi for my Home theater, but i still use plex to watch/listen to things when im away from home.

If the new appletv does plex , id consider using plex exclusively.

One reason i dislike plex is that the metadata doesnt store locally, like emby. I hate having to continually tweak cover art and naming ( ordering the james bond movies together, xmen movies, etc) anytime i make change that forces me to rescan a folder. Plex is supposed ro be able to scrape local metadata, but ive never been able to get it to work. My movies are all in a single folder called "movies " and the nfo files And art are in there with them. Any time i set the scraper to local, it doesnt work. Sometimes it gets plot, but it never gets art.

Has anyone successfully used local metadata for plex? Im convinced it doesn't work

According to this thread on the official forums, Plex doesn't bother to scrape .NFO files. Apparently you can install a plug-in to do that though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex scrapes my local images fine, but ignores local nfo files. Dont care about that though really.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

According to this thread on the official forums, Plex doesn't bother to scrape .NFO files. Apparently you can install a plug-in to do that though.

Ill try this soon. Mine ignores nfo and images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Cornjob posted:

Ill try this soon. Mine ignores nfo and images.

I looked at this a bit last night. what a pain. forget it. :effort:

So what is the point of plex even having the option of "local files" for a scraper? what is it looking for?