Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Hollis Brownsound posted:

What's the consensus on VHT amps?

I need to start carrying some amps and I'm a dealer through their distributor, but I've never actually used one.

I don't know much about the new ones, as far as I know it's a completely different company than when I had a Deliverance 60, but if it's at all similar, it's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

I don't know much about the new ones, as far as I know it's a completely different company than when I had a Deliverance 60, but if it's at all similar, it's good stuff.

The only thing they have in common with the old Steve Fryette stuff is the name.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

From what I understand (heard from a guy I trust) they're not bad circuits, and they are hand made (in China). So they're not terrible but there are some corners cut to hit the price point. About what you'd expect, really.

As with every amp give it a shot. Find one in person or deal with a place that does easy returns.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bread Dragon posted:

Buy this immediately.

Update: Bought it. I even talked him down to $300. "Will you take $300?" "Yes."

Pictured with SG-100, V3 and GU12.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hell yes

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I need some cheap 12AX7's, where's the best place to go? Preferably within Canada?

I did a stupid thing and put eight Tungsram 12AX7's (at about $40 a pop) into some Art tube preamp racks and got rid of the stock Chinese 12AX7s that were in them because I never thought I would ever want to use them for anything. Now I want to sell the preamps, but there's no way I'm letting the Tungsrams go with them. So I need 8 12AX7s on the cheap. Chinese, Ruby, Sovtek, whatever, where can I find them?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Here's a really stupid problem I need help with - I'm getting to the point where I'll be needing a real amp soon and I haven't got the first idea about amps and what I need. The whole time I've played guitar I used a podXT (and recently with this threads help) a THR10X. I mostly (almost entirely) play metal. What should I be looking for (heads, amps, pedals) and how much should I be expecting to pay for something respectable enough to be able to respond to craigslist ads asking for guitarists with their own gear? Sorry if it's too vague of an question, the Real Amp world is just totally completely new to me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rhopunzel posted:

Here's a really stupid problem I need help with - I'm getting to the point where I'll be needing a real amp soon and I haven't got the first idea about amps and what I need. The whole time I've played guitar I used a podXT (and recently with this threads help) a THR10X. I mostly (almost entirely) play metal. What should I be looking for (heads, amps, pedals) and how much should I be expecting to pay for something respectable enough to be able to respond to craigslist ads asking for guitarists with their own gear? Sorry if it's too vague of an question, the Real Amp world is just totally completely new to me.

The first thing to ask here is where do you envisage the amp being used mainly?
If it's bedroom use that would be a different amp to a full on metal rehearsal room for example, so answer that first and suggestions are easier :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

If it's a bedroom, get a small amp with good cleans and use it as a pedal platform. If it's for live gigs, go nuts with like a Peavey 6505+ head and at least a 2x12.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bedroom metal I like the Blackstar HT 5 series, real tooobz and poo poo:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-5/

Bedroom amp I would like as a bluesdad:

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/amps/guitar-amplifiers/blues-junior-iii-230v-eur-black/

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

peter gabriel posted:

The first thing to ask here is where do you envisage the amp being used mainly?
If it's bedroom use that would be a different amp to a full on metal rehearsal room for example, so answer that first and suggestions are easier :)

Bedroom and/or large garage to practice with a band live.

edit: it may be better to assume live actually, because I'd prefer not to have to buy another amp if/when the time comes

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 15, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rhopunzel posted:

Bedroom and/or large garage to practice with a band live.

edit: it may be better to assume live actually, because I'd prefer not to have to buy another amp if/when the time comes

It's all about budget then really, I got one of these specifically because I am about to play live again / rehearse :

https://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-stage60/

Because it's a tube amp which I wanted, it's mega, mega versatile and has some really nice quality of life poo poo built in. I'd recommend it for metal for sure as well. It's very loud when you want it to be as well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Peavey JSX. They're loving great, versatile, and you can get them cheaper than a 6505/+ if you're lucky. Also had a combo version if I remember correctly? Can be rebiased for EL34s or 6l6, whatever's to your taste.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are there any good hot rodded jcm800 style amps with built-in power attenuators? Preferably not super large and heavy.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
emperor 612 or ampeg v4? ( i really dont need either tbqh)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Boz0r posted:

Are there any good hot rodded jcm800 style amps with built-in power attenuators? Preferably not super large and heavy.

This guy will make you anything you want.
http://www.phaezamp.com/ampshop/en/

I have his JTM45/Blackface dual preamp amp and it is awesome (Duophonic).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I haven't the foggiest idea about amps as I've primarily played acoustic guitar, but recently I acquired a Zoom G3 (amp/multi-effects simulator + looper) and it's pretty nifty. I'd like to have some means of outputting the sound from it other than my cheap headphones. Coincidentally, my mother is in town and looking to physically purchase me a birthday gift.

I like the sounds that come straight out of the G3, but it's my understanding that most amps color the sound in some fashion unless they have an auxiliary input. Most of the cheap amps I've been able to find in the area do not appear to have an auxiliary input. I also don't like terribly loud things, and would probably only need enough loudness to be heard behind casual living-room conversation.

Since I've got to figure out where we're shopping by Sunday, should I be searching for any specific type / brand of amp, or am I really looking for something more along the lines of a portable speaker with a 1/4" input? Are there cheap amps which don't color the sound too much and would be fine without an auxiliary input?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Handen posted:

I need some cheap 12AX7's, where's the best place to go? Preferably within Canada?

I did a stupid thing and put eight Tungsram 12AX7's (at about $40 a pop) into some Art tube preamp racks and got rid of the stock Chinese 12AX7s that were in them because I never thought I would ever want to use them for anything. Now I want to sell the preamps, but there's no way I'm letting the Tungsrams go with them. So I need 8 12AX7s on the cheap. Chinese, Ruby, Sovtek, whatever, where can I find them?

eBay, buy direct from the source. Assuming time is not an issue of course

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Boz0r posted:

You pretty much just described the Peavey Windsor.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I had a thought about selling my Fender Hot Rod and downsizing to a small tube combo, with a 1x12 extension that I could bring along for the bigger gigs. I'm rarely playing guitar with a band, and if I am it's usually a pickup gig where I don't need that many watts, but I'd still like some oomph behind it.

I was looking at the Vox 4-watt combos and then just whatever small cab I can find, any suggestions?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I haven't the foggiest idea about amps as I've primarily played acoustic guitar, but recently I acquired a Zoom G3 (amp/multi-effects simulator + looper) and it's pretty nifty. I'd like to have some means of outputting the sound from it other than my cheap headphones. Coincidentally, my mother is in town and looking to physically purchase me a birthday gift.

I like the sounds that come straight out of the G3, but it's my understanding that most amps color the sound in some fashion unless they have an auxiliary input. Most of the cheap amps I've been able to find in the area do not appear to have an auxiliary input. I also don't like terribly loud things, and would probably only need enough loudness to be heard behind casual living-room conversation.

Since I've got to figure out where we're shopping by Sunday, should I be searching for any specific type / brand of amp, or am I really looking for something more along the lines of a portable speaker with a 1/4" input? Are there cheap amps which don't color the sound too much and would be fine without an auxiliary input?

Any amp with a series FX Loop will work as the G3 is a preamp unit, you just need the power amp and a speaker cab really but when I looked into that for my G5 it was cheaper to get a 112 valve/tube combo that sounded great on it's own, with the G5 in front or in the FX loop. Zoom G# modelling pedals are awesome. the two main flaws are lovely cab emulation and excessive amounts of gain on the preamp models. Both can be fixed if you turn off speaker emulation in any amp models you use and just use less gain than you would with a real rig.

What style of music are you looking to play and what do you usually use in your patches on the G3?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verizian posted:

What style of music are you looking to play and what do you usually use in your patches on the G3?

I'm still figuring that out. Originally I went in search of a looper since I realized they'd be great practice for my style of undisciplined improvisation, but after doing a bunch of research realized that the G3 would satisfy my needs on that front and give me a bunch of extra gizmos.

Patch wise I only really like the weird stuff (Theremin) or some relatively light, clean effects (a bit of tremolo or some auto-wah). Most of the loud, angry, raw guitar sounds that seem so popular don't do it for me.

I managed to repair an inherited Johnson Reptone 15 amp which does not have an FX input but if I turn the gain down all the way, the volume down most of the way, and keep bass / middle / treble about even it doesn't seem to color the sound too much. I'll look into disabling the speaker emulation, although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if most of what I set up doesn't even involve an amp simulator.

Since I circumvented the immediate need to purchase an amp (and got a cheap expression pedal to go with the G3 instead), I think my current question is resolved. Now I've just got a lot of experimenting to do to hone in on my preferences and get more keen on the lingo.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

After The War posted:

You pretty much just described the Peavey Windsor.

Didn't they stop making them because they were poo poo?

On another note, what are peoples' experiences with the 1w Marshalls? I've thought about buying the JCM1H.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Boz0r posted:

Nope. Although if I recall they do have issues with the effects loop (as all high gain amps with effects loop and cliff jacks seem to) and the channel switching function due to heat. Windsors are incredible values if those issues are addressed. They can be modded to Plexi-specs with some value changes. I'd take one over a Bugera 1960 model any day for cheap Plexi tones.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I could really use some advice. I have a Fender Twin Amp from around 2002. I was at rehearsal on Monday, and the amp suddenly cut out and stopped making any sound. I ordered a new set of tubes and replaced all of them, but it still doesn't produce sound. The fuse is good, the tubes glow, but there is no sound. I've tried a different instrument cable and different guitar. I've been doing my testing with the guitar wired straight to the amp, bypassing my effects pedals.

I'm reasonably competent at electronics, I work in a lab designing and building high end scientific instrumentation. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for, and how to access it? I did not smell anything burning, and there wasn't a pop or anything, the sound just cut out.

Please help! We have our first gig lined up for next Wednesday night, and I really want to get my amp working again!

EDIT: Welp, both speakers are measuring open circuit instead of 8 ohms. I have them completely removed from the amp. Ugh. What could happen to blow both speakers at once? Do I need to worry that something else is broken before throwing money at speakers?

Day Man fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 24, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I usually say that stock Fender speakers are replaced on the installment plan - first you blow up one, then you blow up the other. But that's the reason they're wired in parallel, so it's really strange. Obviously try to minimize the time spent with no load, you don't want to fry your output transformer while you're figuring out what's up. Is there a spare speaker you could hook it up to just for diagnostic purposes, like something in an old practice amp?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

After The War posted:

I usually say that stock Fender speakers are replaced on the installment plan - first you blow up one, then you blow up the other. But that's the reason they're wired in parallel, so it's really strange. Obviously try to minimize the time spent with no load, you don't want to fry your output transformer while you're figuring out what's up. Is there a spare speaker you could hook it up to just for diagnostic purposes, like something in an old practice amp?

It was 2 8 ohm speakers in series, not parallel. Yeah, actually, now that you mention it, I have a lovely old small practice amp upstairs. I'll try that speaker out and report back.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Day Man posted:

It was 2 8 ohm speakers in series, not parallel. Yeah, actually, now that you mention it, I have a lovely old small practice amp upstairs. I'll try that speaker out and report back.

Series may have exasperated the problem, killing both where you might have lost just one. Leo went parallel from the beginning (or at least from the Bassman on), figuring that way you could still finish a set if you blew a speaker onstage.

I don't think running at 16 ohms would have caused a problem, but Twins are supposed to be happiest at 4.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

After The War posted:

Series may have exasperated the problem, killing both where you might have lost just one. Leo went parallel from the beginning (or at least from the Bassman on), figuring that way you could still finish a set if you blew a speaker onstage.

I don't think running at 16 ohms would have caused a problem, but Twins are supposed to be happiest at 4.

Why does so much of Leo Fender's stuff follow a theme of "oh, X broke? well okay it's not totally screwed/it's easy to replace"?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

After The War posted:

I did not know that about Twins. This one says in the manual it was set up in series. I may try the replacements in parallel. The impedance was set correctly at 16 ohm, btw.

Anyway, just threw my little lovely speaker in and it made no sound at first. I then accidentally bumped the top of the amp with the head of my guitar, it fuzzed and then it started to output sound. I would have attributed the fuzz to the small loosely fitted speaker shaking around, except it started with no sound. I didn't knock the speaker contacts into place. I guess there's something loose in there. What does a bad reverb tank do?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shugojin posted:

Why does so much of Leo Fender's stuff follow a theme of "oh, X broke? well okay it's not totally screwed/it's easy to replace"?

To some degree, it was probably influenced by his hypochondria, his self-taught "tinker-based" background, and insistence that everything be overbuilt "just in case". But a lot of his design decisions were based on feedback from gigging musicians and the expectation that everything would be treated tough on the road. A lot of things could have been repaired in your average TV shop, or even by a roadie if they could get the parts.

Fun fact - the brown Tolex was chosen because it would look the same dirty as clean!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Day Man posted:

I did not know that about Twins. This one says in the manual it was set up in series. I may try the replacements in parallel. The impedance was set correctly at 16 ohm, btw.

Anyway, just threw my little lovely speaker in and it made no sound at first. I then accidentally bumped the top of the amp with the head of my guitar, it fuzzed and then it started to output sound. I would have attributed the fuzz to the small loosely fitted speaker shaking around, except it started with no sound. I didn't knock the speaker contacts into place. I guess there's something loose in there. What does a bad reverb tank do?

Oh, you've got an Evil Twin with an impedance switch? That would explain the series wiring - blackface/silverface versions only had the single tap. You should be able to see if its the reverb tank by just bypassing it with a jumper cable, but I believe the channel-switching Twin would just pull everything out of the circuit if you have it off at the footswitch.

On the whole, it sounds like a cold solder joint. Can you check for continuity throughout the whole thing?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah, it's an Evil Twin. The 94 model. I really love the sounds I get out of it! I guess checking continuity of everything I can get to will be my next step.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Boz0r posted:

On another note, what are peoples' experiences with the 1w Marshalls? I've thought about buying the JCM1H.

Speaking as an owner of the DSL1C, I love this little thing. It obviously doesn't sound just like the big ones, but I'm able to get pretty much any sound I personally want out of it with a little tweaking. Add a reverb in the loop and I'm a very happy (awful) player. That said, I'm unsure what the market price is, I managed to pick mine up rather cheaply used, and it's -still- pretty loud if you want to crank it, even with the 0.1W mode engaged, so it may not be apartment appropriate if you're looking for something super super quiet.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Agrinja posted:

Speaking as an owner of the DSL1C, I love this little thing. It obviously doesn't sound just like the big ones, but I'm able to get pretty much any sound I personally want out of it with a little tweaking. Add a reverb in the loop and I'm a very happy (awful) player. That said, I'm unsure what the market price is, I managed to pick mine up rather cheaply used, and it's -still- pretty loud if you want to crank it, even with the 0.1W mode engaged, so it may not be apartment appropriate if you're looking for something super super quiet.

Also a DSL1C owner and it absolutely owns. Got mine new for super cheep though and even then it was about $600, and I know the JCM ones are the second most popular after the plexi so :retrogames:

Another thing to think about is that only the DSL and JVM ones have an effects loop with none of them having reverb, but apparently pairing the JCM1H with either 4x10 or 1x12 makes it sound actually like the full sized on on full power but without the eviction notice that quickly follows.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Okay, I opened the amp and looked for loose connections. I didn't find anything. I put it back together with my lovely sacrificial speaker, and it wouldn't make sound at first. The tubes glow yellow with the standby switch off. If I turn on the standby switch, the power tubes start to glow a bluish color.

I switched the standby switch a couple times, and the sound faded in. I then played some, and when I turned it back to standby, it didn't immediately cut off, the sound faded out. I turned it back on, and the sound faded in. When I put it back to standby, it made a popping sound. I have my new speakers here now, but I obviously don't want to put them in until I'm sure the rest is okay, so I can avoid blowing them up.

I'll pull it apart again tomorrow to investigate. Anyone have any ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

First obvious answer is the bias resistor(s), but they usually just cause runaway tube heating when they go, and you've got more going on than that. Power sections are their own kind of weird magic, and what's going on sounds complicated enough that you'll probably want to take it to someone with tube amp experience.

Short answer, what you should be looking for is a loaner amp to use at your gig on Wednesday. :smith:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

drat

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
So all this AxeFX / ElevenRack talk has me wondering, do I just need one of these and a powered speaker or cabinet? Is there anything else required? I know there's other stuff I could use, like computers, pedal controllers and the like, but to get started what do I actually need besides the AxeFX or ElevelRack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Remulak posted:

So all this AxeFX / ElevenRack talk has me wondering, do I just need one of these and a powered speaker or cabinet? Is there anything else required? I know there's other stuff I could use, like computers, pedal controllers and the like, but to get started what do I actually need besides the AxeFX or ElevelRack?

If you're just using it at home, powered monitors work well too.

Basically, the rack setups just provide your preamp sound, so you'll need to make it loud in one of three ways;
1) Powered monitors/Speakers
2) PA
3) Rackmount power amp (or effects return of current amp) and guitar cabinet

The powered speakers will give you more frequency coverage than the guitar speakers will.