Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

My chain ritual was always spray & wipe w/ WD-40 and rag and then lube with ~90w gear oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those aren't your stator wires. 3 yellow wires are your stator wires.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Awful things involving a car and the road happened to my motorcycle today (I'm relatively unhurt, bike will almost certainly be some sort of write off). I like Kawasaki Ninjas - my past four bikes have either been Ninjas or their close relative the ZZR. However, should I wish to branch out, are there any sorts of bikes I should be considering? IIRC the Fireblade is Honda's equivalent, but what else could I look at.

UK goon, budget will be about 2k.

Pictures of the damage can be posted if you want to point and laugh or join me in mourning.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Pics please

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The bar that supports the screen has also snapped, and she was making squeeking noised when the mechanic rolled her up into the van :(

Green NHS bag has all the bits that fell off.

Probably going to retain after the write off because my mechanics want the engine, and if I get another Ninja I want the exhaust and tyres transfered over.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I finally found time to get to this. I tested my voltage over the battery while the bike was idling and it was right around 13.5v. I revved the engine to ~7k rpm and was getting around 12v. I've (mostly) followed this guide: https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

I skipped to the part where you test your stator wires. These are what I tested. These are what I'm looking for, right?

On two of the three pairs I was getting readings just about identical. I'd get .04, .04, and .00. Or 4.75, 4.8, and .9. Does that mean my stator is shot, or is there still another possible culprit?

Those aren't your stator wires. Start at that wire coming out of the bottom left side of your engine and trace it up to a plug that is square-ish and has 3 yellow wires in it.

I'm sorry. I kept my 96 CBR600 after they totaled it, but I never got around to fixing it. It still ran, it was just ugly as gently caress. I sold it a few weeks ago for $1000, $200 more than I paid the insurance company to keep it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm sorry. I kept my 96 CBR600 after they totaled it, but I never got around to fixing it. It still ran, it was just ugly as gently caress. I sold it a few weeks ago for $1000, $200 more than I paid the insurance company to keep it.
I was joking with my mechanics a couple of weeks back that the next time the fairing got damaged I should just streetfighter the bike, but no-one was expecting this sort of thing :(

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 22, 2015

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That doesn't look that bad, you could probably fix it fairly cheaply.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Shimrod posted:

Yup, this.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shimrod posted:

You 're looking at 600 odd for the fairing and all the broken bits going by an ebay search. There might also be actual frame damage this time around. I realise that 600 is less than the 1-2k a replacement bike will cost, and there's the whole thing of having to learn all the quirks of a replacement machine, but I'm not sure I feel good about riding this one any more.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Your AV is irritating me because one of those things is a wolf, not a cat, and I won't hear any pathetic arguments to the contrary.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Slavvy posted:

Your AV is irritating me because one of those things is a wolf, not a cat, and I won't hear any pathetic arguments to the contrary.

Inner sphere 4 lyfe!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Inner sphere 4 lyfe!

Filth.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My only problem today is ignorance:

What the heck are these rubber things all up in my engine cooling vanes?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Didn't someone here ask the same thing just recently? Vibration dampeners wasn't it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I asked, the wisdom imparted upon me was that they reduce painful/uncomfortable vibrations/noises. Don't know why they stuck it on a two-stroke single in my case but ok.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...I'm taking them off. :shlick:

But seriously, rubber engine mounts I can understand, I can't even begin to imagine how a free floating rubber block just resting on the side of the cylinder, unconnected to anything else, could possibly have any noticeable effect.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm guessing at certain RPMs it stops those fins resonating like a tuning fork...

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh, point. :downs:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Renaissance Robot posted:

My only problem today is ignorance:

What the heck are these rubber things all up in my engine cooling vanes?

They keep the fans from "singing."
Not so much on those bikes, but on others (like my CB750) they definitely do.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm guessing at certain RPMs it stops those fins resonating like a tuning fork...

Yes, this exactly. On quieter, multi-cylinder bikes with thinner fins, you can seriously hear them and it's annoying, sometimes painful.
I can also hear dog whistles... so there's that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My DT175 sings with them in place, I'd hate to hear it without any. I bet it could snap fins.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can also hear dog whistles... so there's that.

So can I every time they talk about the "immigrant crisis".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did they eventually solve that issue by altering the design somehow? Like, bandit 1200's haven't got them, but they also have much finer and more numerous fins than older bikes seem to.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Did they eventually solve that issue by altering the design somehow? Like, bandit 1200's haven't got them, but they also have much finer and more numerous fins than older bikes seem to.

To be honest I'm kind of intrigued that they'd be able to build up any kind of resonance at all, being quite thick and connected to each other, but I'm guessing you could get a bit of resonance between two random fins.

With a bit of clever design you could probably eliminate it without sticking bits of rubber on. It's what they already do for bridges, buildings, etc - making sure that the areas of each fin are co-prime up to the nth harmonic, that sort of thing. It's pretty easy to do with CAD, probably way too tedious to do on a drafting table (at least for something that's just a cosmetic issue) so they just stick the rubber in.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

To be honest I'm kind of intrigued that they'd be able to build up any kind of resonance at all, being quite thick and connected to each other, but I'm guessing you could get a bit of resonance between two random fins.

With a bit of clever design you could probably eliminate it without sticking bits of rubber on. It's what they already do for bridges, buildings, etc - making sure that the areas of each fin are co-prime up to the nth harmonic, that sort of thing. It's pretty easy to do with CAD, probably way too tedious to do on a drafting table (at least for something that's just a cosmetic issue) so they just stick the rubber in.

Manufacturing/casting is probably a cheaper process if they're all uniform size and thickness.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Manufacturing/casting is probably a cheaper process if they're all uniform size and thickness.

They're not the same size though - apart from a couple of Harley engines I can't think of any air-cooled bike where the fins don't flare out towards the top (where all the heat is of course)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So how crap an idea is it to buy and ride home a bike with no front master cylinder and no third gear from 100km away? 90% motorway journey on a sunday.

Full disclosure: already bought but might not be able to get a hold of a trailer/ute/van.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

So how crap an idea is it to buy and ride home a bike with no front master cylinder and no third gear from 100km away? 90% motorway journey on a sunday.

Full disclosure: already bought but might not be able to get a hold of a trailer/ute/van.

I'd do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good enough for me :v:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I bought a KLR, 2001, 5000 miles on it. It has clearly sat for a while with some minor riding maybe once every few years but no maintenance whatsoever in that time. And full of 87 octane 10% ethanol. Just a full goddamn tank of it.

I've changed the oil and filter, coolant rinsed and refilled, seafoamed the carb and tank, rebuilt the vacuum petcock diaphragm (that was a weird one to diagnose), de-shitted the chain and sprockets, installed braided steel brake lines, new brake pads and brake fluid flush front and back, removed the airbox snorkel thing, new clutch lever, full tank of no-ethanol gasoline, and I threw a thermobob on there because I'm drinking that kool aid.

It's been a good couple of weekends.

Question: While cleaning and flushing the cooling system, I discovered the coolant overflow reservoir outlet was melted shut. What caused that kind of heat, and will it happen again? The bike runs great afaict, and it doesn't seem to be melting now, so what did this PO do?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its fairly close to the header, right?

Mine didn't have a hole either, but I think it more or less came that way, so I just drilled it out.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it's like right next to the exhaust, too. See here, it's the bottom left corner of the white tank:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Does it have a fourth gear? If yes, then just be careful.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I replaced the front pads and now they squeak. Anyone have a good remedy? Note: I tried ear plugs but they don't work for the general public.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They'll just wear in won't they?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Copper grease between the pad and the disk back of the pad and the thin metal backing plate.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Best way to regain confidence following a smash?

It sounds stupid, but I was literally in tears when I got in to work this morning on the loan bike :(

Part of it is that I went from no accidents in 18 years to three of varying severity in one year :( I don't know if there's something wrong with me that's making me bad or if it was just bad luck.

Have a divvy 600 as a loaner now. It seems to vent the hot air from the engine directly onto my knees. Also, it looks like a Decepticon.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Like anything. Time, practice, experience. Take it slow. Analyze what you did to get in those other bad circumstances, and focus on not doing that thing. Try breath relaxation techniques. Being tense and fever pitch anxious is very unsafe in of itself.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Angrymog posted:

Best way to regain confidence following a smash?

It sounds stupid, but I was literally in tears when I got in to work this morning on the loan bike :(

Part of it is that I went from no accidents in 18 years to three of varying severity in one year :( I don't know if there's something wrong with me that's making me bad or if it was just bad luck.

Have a divvy 600 as a loaner now. It seems to vent the hot air from the engine directly onto my knees. Also, it looks like a Decepticon.

Slow down. Just do everything slower for a month.

Either that or go full mad max shiny and chrome for a few days and you'll either be dead or OK with going fast again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
So my GS500 started leaking gas everywhere last night. It's a steady drip that's making its way from (as far as I can tell) somewhere above the carbs and running down the engine case to my garage floor.

I don't think it's a carb problem, since the petcock is vacuum operated, so if the engine isn't running, there shouldn't be any fuel running to the carbs, right?
Is it possible it's something as simple as a fuel line being old and hosed?

I think I'm going to try to get the tank off tonight and see if I can narrow down where the gas is coming from.