Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
They will use that retextured xi model until the servers explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Avynte posted:

Yeah, I still have a boatload of 1-15 quests sitting around in Limsa and Thanalan. Doing a mix of dungeons, fates, MSQ, and questing never left me wanting for XP on my first 50. Why would I run across Ul'dah to talk to an npc for 300xp at 40+?

Oh and I had no idea the doman kids thing existed because what cues you in to ever go back at 54? There's cool HW stuff to explore, I'm not going back to mor dhona.

the MSQ makes you go back to mor dhona

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the Doman adventurer's club, but the quests were fast as hell by skipping the cutscenes

I hate quests and all but you're a literal monster

IcePhoenix posted:

The fact that I even need to do a quest to unlock something like the Challenge Log instead of it just being a thing I get at level 15 or 20 or whatever is dumb as hell in the first place.

Same with the dungeons outside the MSQ not just showing up in the duty finder when I hit the appropriate level (especially since at least two of them are literally unlocked by talking to a guy, no actual quest involved).

I wouldn't go this far, even WoW devs are on record saying that they regret making WoW work this way. They really should have more/different quest icons for different types of unlock quests. PS3 limitations I suppose.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I wouldn't go this far, even WoW devs are on record saying that they regret making WoW work this way.

I think some of that regret came from having players not "discover" the dungeon and corpse runs being a problem. But more recent dungeons just dump you at the start of the instance like FF14 does so I don't know how relevant it that regret is anymore.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

They could always expand the Recommendations feature to show when important unlockables become available, and not just show quests in the current zone. And using a different quest icon would be good - something to show that it's not just a lore sidequest.

I'm surprised that they don't use the class/job quest icons for the NPCs with said quests. It even shows up differently in your quest journal.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

DizzyBum posted:

They could always expand the Recommendations feature to show when important unlockables become available, and not just show quests in the current zone. And using a different quest icon would be good - something to show that it's not just a lore sidequest.

I'm surprised that they don't use the class/job quest icons for the NPCs with said quests. It even shows up differently in your quest journal.

Boten Anna posted:

PS3 limitations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I hope they drop support for the PS3.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Weren't they talking about doing so for 4.0? Assuming that comes out in 2017, the PS3 will be over a decade old at that point.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
They've talked about it. I suspect the final decision will be based on subscriber numbers, though. If there are still people playing on the PS3 version, they'll probably continue to support it.

What I think is most likely is that the next expansion (4.0) will be PS4/PC only, but the client will still support PS3 players playing through Heavensward, so UI enhancements that can't be done due to PS3 limitations will still be unable to be done since the base client will still support the PS3. I doubt we'll be seeing a complete dropping of PS3 support for some time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
They just announced ending support for the PS2 with FFXI so as long as the support base is there, SE is gonna take advantage or it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The ending of 3.0 should just be a splashscreen telling PS3 users to get with the times and that 4.0 is PC/PS4 only

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't FFXI at some point say "you will continue to be able to log in on PS2, but we make no claims it will perform well in new areas"?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Would PS3 players get some sort of coupon if support is dropped? It doesn't seem fair that a customer has to buy a game all over again just because their old version is intentionally obsoleted.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

54. You help a bunch of teenage domans recover a book stolen by some lalas.

And I watched a little bit of it but it's just dumb. I just can't find it in me whatsoever to give a drat about it.
The beginning of Hildebrand was about the same (though Hildy has the crazy facial expressions going for him) but I like that it essentially boils down to 'you're the biggest badass this side of Crystal Tower and you're babysitting some children of ninjas. Together you solve crime.'

Plus they summoned mentioned Valefor so that's something to look forward to.

SirPhoebos posted:

Would PS3 players get some sort of coupon if support is dropped? It doesn't seem fair that a customer has to buy a game all over again just because their old version is intentionally obsoleted.

There was already a free ps3-ps4 upgrade opportunity. They could do that again.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

They were giving away PS4 copies to PS3 owners for like a year...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The real issue is that the PS4 is still not worth buying for most people.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of PS4, the Heavensward PS4 bundle is on sale with a 60-day time card for $50:

http://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY...ward+ps4+bundle

I'm somewhat tempted so I can do gaming from my bed. I think it needs an ARR license though.

Eej posted:

The real issue is that the PS4 is still not worth buying for most people.

It's getting a price cut in Japan, so I imagine there will be a cut worldwide soon.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 23, 2015

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Price cut in the UK too.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

The beginning of Hildebrand was about the same (though Hildy has the crazy facial expressions going for him) but I like that it essentially boils down to 'you're the biggest badass this side of Crystal Tower and you're babysitting some children of ninjas. Together you solve crime.'

Plus they summoned mentioned Valefor so that's something to look forward to.

I liked the part where you and the kids line up to confront the criminals, the kids strike a pose in unison, then you glance to the side at them and hurriedly strike a matching pose.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They're the protagonists of kids adventure fiction being followed around by a godslayer.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of PS4, the Heavensward PS4 bundle is on sale with a 60-day time card for $50:

http://www.amazon.com/FINAL-FANTASY...ward+ps4+bundle

I'm somewhat tempted so I can do gaming from my bed. I think it needs an ARR license though.

It's getting a price cut in Japan, so I imagine there will be a cut worldwide soon.

I saw this for PC too I think, just two days after I bought it :negative:

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Editing Forum Tags To Insult People

I made this topic at the start of the year and it DID receive a forum mod response.

This is AGAINST the rules people, it falls under being problematic; DO NOT edit peoples forum tags to insult them thinking you can get away with it because you can't. You can still be reported for it.

For those who find insulting tags added to their forum topics; simply mouse over the names of the insulting tags and write a report via the little triangle exclamation point under you original post and write their names in it with the topic that they are editing your tags to insult you.

This is disgusting and low and I HOPE that they make a sticky this time that will remain at the top of this forum and all forums so people can think twice before they get their posting privileges taken away for good.

Edit: You DO NOT have to be the original poster to report this type of behavior. What we were told on my post about this a while back is that you can report the main post but put something in it like "Tags are being edited by others to insult the player's opinions or statements." and the original poster will not be held accountable for it. This is simply to bring to the attention of Dev's so they can act on it.

Edit #2: Tags are not meant for people to leave smart rear end remarks and rude comments about the OP and his/her topic. They're meant to help you find topics via the search based on the tags that have been placed on them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Please change your avatar to be Rick Perry if you're going to make those posts.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

They're the protagonists of kids adventure fiction being followed around by a godslayer.

Final Fantasy: Babysitters Club

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've been playing the free month of the full version of ARR for the past few days, and I'm just starting to get into the interesting stuff like guildhests and things like that. I started as a Lancer but have been dabbling in a little bit of everything. I'm finding that I die a lot as an Archer, but I'm actually really enjoying Conjurer, and even healed a couple of hests and nobody died! I typically like to play melee classes in games like this, but being a healer has been fun. I don't always have a lot of time to devote to the game, but it's a fun way to spend a bit of time after work if I have nothing else on the go.

I just tried out Botanist and holy cow is it boring. Does gathering ever get interesting? I mean, I'm glad for the ability to get high quality lumber to help make high quality weapons, but I did the level 5 quest and got a new axe that I apparently need to grind to level 8 to use and it just feels kinda dull. I don't really need to get my own trees when I can just buy the mats in bulk, but I assume I'll need to go out and harvest eventually if I want to keep crafting.

I'll probably drop it for now, switch back to Conjurer and get to level 15 to unlock more things.

I didn't want to bother any of the goon groups right away, since I'm still super new and I'm really casual, but if things keep getting more interesting I may go forward with it. My character is on Excalibur.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Gathering will remain boring, though fishing has a certain zen to it. However, gathering will change from "boring and basically pointless" to "boring but gets you poo poo you can't buy from NPCs, only from other players who themselves gathered it". Generally somewhere around level 15. Below that, it's already true for shards, but shards are crap for experience after you gain a few levels.

See if you get into crafting, first. And don't blow off your combat jobs too much for the sake of crafting, unless you find you really love crafting. It'll still be there later, and you don't need to be able to craft your own gear to support your first job's gearing, since quests will do that. If you do get into crafting, gathering may help insofar as letting you get your own poo poo rather than buy it for a markup on the auction house.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Leofish posted:

I've been playing the free month of the full version of ARR for the past few days, and I'm just starting to get into the interesting stuff like guildhests and things like that. I started as a Lancer but have been dabbling in a little bit of everything. I'm finding that I die a lot as an Archer, but I'm actually really enjoying Conjurer, and even healed a couple of hests and nobody died! I typically like to play melee classes in games like this, but being a healer has been fun. I don't always have a lot of time to devote to the game, but it's a fun way to spend a bit of time after work if I have nothing else on the go.

I just tried out Botanist and holy cow is it boring. Does gathering ever get interesting? I mean, I'm glad for the ability to get high quality lumber to help make high quality weapons, but I did the level 5 quest and got a new axe that I apparently need to grind to level 8 to use and it just feels kinda dull. I don't really need to get my own trees when I can just buy the mats in bulk, but I assume I'll need to go out and harvest eventually if I want to keep crafting.

I'll probably drop it for now, switch back to Conjurer and get to level 15 to unlock more things.

I didn't want to bother any of the goon groups right away, since I'm still super new and I'm really casual, but if things keep getting more interesting I may go forward with it. My character is on Excalibur.
I'm going to save you so much frustration right here: crafting to make gear as you level is not really worth it, it's much easier to just buy HQ gear if you need it (or ask goons who will almost certainly shower you with gifts). Crafting is really a game for people who have every crafting class at 50 or higher. Think of it as a totally different game from the battle side.

Yes, gathering really is that boring, and it doesn't change until post-50. Some people are into the zen-like mindlessness of it (and the ability to do it while blazed/watching Netflix/both), some can't stand it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I like crafting one thing, rose gold nuggets. I get sort of zen making them. Also they sell decently enough for hq, which is easy enough to get.

Also I haven't been bothered to level my other crafts yet so I don't have all the tools to do more difficult stuff as easily :v:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Leofish posted:

Bother the goon groups anyway. Being in a free company gives you an exp boost and people to chat with/ask game questions of. Worst thing that happens is the game never clicks and you get kicked after 30 days of inactivity.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Time to give this a try again after giving up on it during the release of ARR, mostly due to lag/server issues.

Are all of the DPS and Tank classes relatively competitive with eachother, or are there some that are over/underpowered at the moment?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
One of the tanks is just slightly disadvantaged in end game stuff at the moment but in everything but cutting edge content all the classes on pretty level pegging. It's more about whether or not you're paying attention and reacting than worrying about whether class x is broken and class y is worthless.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

PLD is slightly weaker at cutting edge content, but the other two tanks are comparable. All the DPS classes function fine.

Overall this game has good balance.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The nice thing about gathering compared to crafting is that with gathering, you can just do it whenever you want. With crafting you have to gently caress around with your inventory.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Cool, good to hear.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gathering while waiting for dps queues is nice. There's no worry of having to sprint out of combat if it pops at an innoportune time.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Look at it this way, to us goon omnicrafters, those hq cotton robes you've been eyeballing for around 12000gil cost us about 300 in mats, tops, and we can max out the quality meter for a 100% chance of hq in about 3 steps, fewer if we get lucky

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I was looking at trying Bard and the dps priority system looks like a giant mess and reminds me fondly of feral druid dps at 70 in WoW.

Is it as hard as it looks?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Bard is much simpler than it looks, in fact it can probably be called the simplest DPS class you can learn.

The most basic, bare bones framework is:

Keep Straight Shot Up
Keep DoTs Up
Use your Off GCDs everytime they are up (Bloodletter, Empyreal Arrow)
Spam Heavy Shot

There's way more to consider like weaving in buffs and how to coordinate songs and the like, but on the most basic surface the above is what you need.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Bard is possibly the easiest dps class in this game next to black mage for on paper dps. But it also works like black mage in that fight knowledge and positioning matters a lot more than dummy dps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Doman Kids quest basically justified itself in the moment they all lined up to salute, and your badass godslayer, who's looking oblivious, glances over at what they're all doing and joins the salute perfectly straight-faced. :3:

Also when the thieves get chased off, one of them stops to wave at the kids before disappearing because she thinks (rightfully) that they are adorable.

Anyway, speaking of being a badass godslayer, I finally finished the Heavensward MSQ, which I'm slow at because I was simultaneously leveling warrior, mechanist, ninja, and summoner/scholar.

I'm still reeling over the fact that SE seriously just took the Knights of the Round summon animation from FF7 verbatim and turned each hit into a combat phase. :roflolmao:

I love this loving game.

And also doing every quest and watching every cutscene in it thank you very much.

Mystery Prize posted:

I was looking at trying Bard and the dps priority system looks like a giant mess and reminds me fondly of feral druid dps at 70 in WoW.

If you want a giant John Madden clusterfuck, play Machinist endgame instead. Which I am now, because nobody else I know is, gotta be special. :shepface:

• Locked thread