Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Do all Corellian males wear the exact same outfit that Han does? I want to know how far down the "every character a race" rabbit-hole goes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Blistex posted:

Do all Corellian males wear the exact same outfit that Han does? I want to know how far down the "every character a race" rabbit-hole goes?

actually no its the all smugglers wear that outfit

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

david... posted:

actually no its the all smugglers wear that outfit

See: Lando on the millennium falcon.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

You ever been in space, son? Nothing quite like a soft linen shirt with a leather vest to both insulate you and whisk away moisture quicker than a vaporator in the Junland Wastes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wraith squadron owns. Rogue squadron,

Xenomrph posted:

while the Rogue books focus on Corran Horn, the biggest Mary Sue in the EU. Better pilot than Wedge, star investigator who unravels a massive Imperial plot that no one else could figure out, irresistible to every woman he encounters (and of course he marries the hot chick), oh and did I mention that he's Force sensitive and becomes a Jedi badass?
poo poo, I can't even name any of the other Rogue pilots in the Stackpole books other than Wedge, Tycho, and Gavin.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blistex posted:

Yes and no, it's a basic outfit but for women

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Worse than Corran's may sue nature is that every character in Stackpole's books speaks in the same voice, they all stand around monologuing at each other and exchanging dry witty retorts all day long.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Just Mara Jade, Corran Horn, and Talon Karrde hanging out.

Can you guess which ones are portrayed by the goony authors who created them?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timothy Zahn at least looks the part for Karrde. I was impressed with how well he visually pulled it off. If they'd had Zahn portraying, like, Thrawn, it would have been goofier.

But yeah Stackpoke as Corran is the gooniest thing, especially given Corran's Mary Sue nature.

I'll always be a fan of Shannon Baksa as Mara Jade, though. She completely nailed that.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

and her hi-larious sadistic droid companions. Its got that hosed up thing where you know its real dumb but youre still entertained anyway.

That fucker shoulda been thrown out airlock somewhere, he is loving things up in about 90% of the Eu books I've read. As nice as the new republic is you think even they would have hit a point where theyre like, "this Borsk Fey'lya rear end in a top hat ruins loving everything, lets drop him off on Hoth with just a sleeping bag and tell him to start hiking and get hosed."

It'd be like if there were 50 ghostbusters books and Walter Peck from the EPA showed up in every loving book. In the last book they proved him wrong and embarrassed him in front of all his friends and associates but somehow the government keeps putting him in positions to cock things up. Oh gently caress, Peck got a legal order to turn off the ghost containment unit for the 39th loving time, that's the Borsk Fey'lya character.
If you're reading through the EU in chronological order and waiting for Borsk to get his comeuppance, keep reading.
I won't spoil it, but I was pretty satisfied with how he gets handled.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Blistex posted:

I pointed out at my cousin's wedding that the preacher was wearing Han Solo's outfit, everyone denied it until I told them "Just close your eyes, imagine Han Solo, then look at him!" Sometimes cosplayers sneak up on you. :(

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Holy poo poo I always thought this was some magic space name with a weird pronunciation, not Jason :psyduck:

I thought it was Jay-seen because i was an idiot fucker

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Tender Bender posted:

Worse than Corran's may sue nature is that every character in Stackpole's books speaks in the same voice, they all stand around monologuing at each other and exchanging dry witty retorts all day long.

Stackpole also is a really big fan of naming the model numbers of poo poo. It's not just an X-Wing, it's an Incom T-65 X-wing.

Where Allston was just like "It's an X Wing and here are Wedge and Han Solo getting hosed up for three days".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is he the reason we know the manufacturer of every ship when that is completely worthless information.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

is he the reason we know the manufacturer of every ship when that is completely worthless information.

Probably. Stackpole was a line writer for FASA on Battletech before he started doing Star Wars novels.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sammus posted:

See: Lando on the millennium falcon.

I assumed he didn't bring a change of clothes. Hell, one guy fleeing cloud city took a loving ice cream maker.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

Actually I don't think he is, that honor probably goes to the West End Games RPG stuff.

At least with the Xwing manufacturer (Incom) there's a mildly entertaining backstory to it.
The Xwing fighter was originally going to be an Imperial fighter meant to increase the survivability of Imperial pilots (heavier hull, actual shields and ejection systems, 4 laser cannons, onboard secondary weapons), and when Incom finished the first batch of Xwings for the Imperial navy, the Empire went "hey Incom, we're not gonna pay you for these sweet new ships, thank you for your service to the Empire. Also please stand by as we nationalize your company."
To which Incom replied, "huh that's weird, your shipment of fighters seems to have been lost in transit (since we just gave it to the Rebels). Also we're defecting to the Rebellion now, we really hope one of our Xwings doesn't blow up one of your big superweapons or something!"

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I used to masturbate to leia in that one bit in that one movie where she is getting jabbed by that freaky torture bot

pretty swit bra

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blistex posted:

I assumed he didn't bring a change of clothes. Hell, one guy fleeing cloud city took a loving ice cream maker.

That was the central computer core and he has his own action figure.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I used to masturbate to leia in that one bit in that one movie where she is getting jabbed by that freaky torture bot

pretty swit bra

Joke's on you. Carrie Fisher didn't wear a bra when filming Star Wars.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

that story really is all you need to know about how awful the EU was

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

SaltLick posted:

I thought it was Jay-seen because i was an idiot fucker

I mean this is Star Wars we're talking about you had good odds of being right.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xenomrph posted:

The best Wedge book is Starfighters of Adumar, it's seriously hilarious.

The Wraith books are way better than the Rogue books because the Wraith books are ensemble books with fun characters, while the Rogue books focus on Corran Horn, the biggest Mary Sue in the EU. Better pilot than Wedge, star investigator who unravels a massive Imperial plot that no one else could figure out, irresistible to every woman he encounters (and of course he marries the hot chick), oh and did I mention that he's Force sensitive and becomes a Jedi badass?

The biggest Mary Sue in the EU is the Sun Crusher :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blistex posted:

I bought the ice cream maker guy as a gift to my bro one time and it's easily the most cherished figure we have. He gets all-access license to pilot all of our vehicles and was always the first pick when we did battles.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

George Lucas quite naturally believes that he wrote "Starwars", when, in reality, he was told telepathically what to write in the original first three Episodes (4-6), by the very "Force" to which the films refer, and was "forced" to make only episodes 4-6, first, as a very important step in the preparation of mankind for the long-awaited TRUTH, about the real reasons for human life on Earth ("what on earth am I doing here?"), the meaning of life and its purpose, contained in "The Way home or face The Fire", from which episodes 1-3 should have been made, as I did my best, frequently, to tell him.

Unfortunately George Lucas has exercised his "Free-will"; ignored me and made Episode 1 - "The Phantom Menace"; with arrogant actors who publicly ridicule the real message and the real fans, which undermines the original theme and Divine Message; contradicts it and is mere fiction (lies), telepathically fed to him by the Dark-side force (Satan), to try to confuse everyone and undo the good (God's) message contained in the earlier three films (Episodes 4-6). This is Satan's standard-practice and very predictable. He has done it with the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran and the three major religions who claim to be based on them.

Not understanding that he was being told telepathically, Lucas thinks that "Starwars" came from his imagination, which is a perfectly normal human reaction that many people have had over the centuries. Rudyard Kipling thought that he wrote "IF"; Oscar Wilde thought that he wrote "The Picture of Dorian Gray"; Joe Darion thought he wrote the words to "The Impossible Dream"; Steven Spielberg thinks he wrote "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and the list is endless.

Although "Starwars" (Episodes 4-6) is set as science-fiction and in a distant galaxy to make it entertaining, it actually refers to this galaxy and life on Earth.

There actually was a REAL star war thousands of human years ago, in this galaxy, on the "Morning Star" [Venus] (Revelation 12 v 7; 22 v 16; Isaiah 14 v 12 in the king James Authorised Version of the Bible [which was the ONLY translation worth reading until the new "King of kings' Bible" was completed]); (Koran sura 6:76 and 86:1-4) and you were ALL on the losing side.

It is IMPERATIVE that I say, at this point, that the "Star" of Bethlehem was a SPACESHIP and that God and Christ are aliens and the Books known to you as the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran are NOT religious Books in the way that you all think of religion today. These Books are a guide/map sent by the "Force" from the Morning Star and which have been taken and used; abused and mis-interpreted by the various Religious Organisations for their own material benefit.

In the film, "O.B.1 - Kanobi" tells Luke Skywalker about the "Force" and describes it as a good energy field that gives a JEDI his power and which surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy (Universe in reality) together ("love thy neighbour") and he goes on to say that it is created by all Living things and that Life makes it grow, which is repeated later on by YODA.

In fact, the "Force" Itself is the source and Creator of Life and it is Love (not sex) that makes it grow. This small mistake about the creation of Life and the "Force" is the only mistake that O.B.1 and YODA make and everything else that they say about the "Force" and how to use it are perfectly correct.

O.B.1 tells Skywalker that he must learn The Way of the "Force" and how to use the "Force" so that he can help others and Luke replies that he has work to do and that he hates evil, but there is nothing he can do about it, which reflects and symbolises almost everyone on Earth's attitude and reply.

Once Luke has lost his human family and all his material possessions, which are the things that bind him to the Earth and he has "nothing to lose" except his human life, he decides to learn to "use the Force" and fight to put the world right, symbolising what the Disciples did (Luke 18 v 28-30).

The demonstration, where O.B.1 tells the storm-troopers that they do not need to see Luke's identification and that he can move along and go about his business demonstrating that the "Force" can have a strong effect on the weak-minded, actually works, but it works telepathically via the "Force", not with spoken words. It is done with words in the film because it cannot be shown telepathically on a film-screen.

The coffee-bar full of weird creatures symbolises many of the places you have been yourselves, full of "creatures of the night", not all of whom are really bad, but where some boast of their evil deeds and fighting ability and who pick fights with you for no reason.

Luke starts to learn to use the "Force," firstly trying to use his human eyes, then later whilst wearing a helmet with the "blast-shield" down (Ephesians 6 v 17) so that he cannot see, symbolising "blind-faith".

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Otisburg posted:

George Lucas quite naturally believes that he wrote "Starwars", when, in reality, he was told telepathically what to write in the original first three Episodes (4-6), by the very "Force" to which the films refer, and was "forced" to make only episodes 4-6, first, as a very important step in the preparation of mankind for the long-awaited TRUTH, about the real reasons for human life on Earth ("what on earth am I doing here?"), the meaning of life and its purpose, contained in "The Way home or face The Fire", from which episodes 1-3 should have been made, as I did my best, frequently, to tell him.

Unfortunately George Lucas has exercised his "Free-will"; ignored me and made Episode 1 - "The Phantom Menace"; with arrogant actors who publicly ridicule the real message and the real fans, which undermines the original theme and Divine Message; contradicts it and is mere fiction (lies), telepathically fed to him by the Dark-side force (Satan), to try to confuse everyone and undo the good (God's) message contained in the earlier three films (Episodes 4-6). This is Satan's standard-practice and very predictable. He has done it with the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran and the three major religions who claim to be based on them.

Not understanding that he was being told telepathically, Lucas thinks that "Starwars" came from his imagination, which is a perfectly normal human reaction that many people have had over the centuries. Rudyard Kipling thought that he wrote "IF"; Oscar Wilde thought that he wrote "The Picture of Dorian Gray"; Joe Darion thought he wrote the words to "The Impossible Dream"; Steven Spielberg thinks he wrote "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and the list is endless.

Although "Starwars" (Episodes 4-6) is set as science-fiction and in a distant galaxy to make it entertaining, it actually refers to this galaxy and life on Earth.

There actually was a REAL star war thousands of human years ago, in this galaxy, on the "Morning Star" [Venus] (Revelation 12 v 7; 22 v 16; Isaiah 14 v 12 in the king James Authorised Version of the Bible [which was the ONLY translation worth reading until the new "King of kings' Bible" was completed]); (Koran sura 6:76 and 86:1-4) and you were ALL on the losing side.

It is IMPERATIVE that I say, at this point, that the "Star" of Bethlehem was a SPACESHIP and that God and Christ are aliens and the Books known to you as the Old Testament; New Testament and Koran are NOT religious Books in the way that you all think of religion today. These Books are a guide/map sent by the "Force" from the Morning Star and which have been taken and used; abused and mis-interpreted by the various Religious Organisations for their own material benefit.

In the film, "O.B.1 - Kanobi" tells Luke Skywalker about the "Force" and describes it as a good energy field that gives a JEDI his power and which surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy (Universe in reality) together ("love thy neighbour") and he goes on to say that it is created by all Living things and that Life makes it grow, which is repeated later on by YODA.

In fact, the "Force" Itself is the source and Creator of Life and it is Love (not sex) that makes it grow. This small mistake about the creation of Life and the "Force" is the only mistake that O.B.1 and YODA make and everything else that they say about the "Force" and how to use it are perfectly correct.

O.B.1 tells Skywalker that he must learn The Way of the "Force" and how to use the "Force" so that he can help others and Luke replies that he has work to do and that he hates evil, but there is nothing he can do about it, which reflects and symbolises almost everyone on Earth's attitude and reply.

Once Luke has lost his human family and all his material possessions, which are the things that bind him to the Earth and he has "nothing to lose" except his human life, he decides to learn to "use the Force" and fight to put the world right, symbolising what the Disciples did (Luke 18 v 28-30).

The demonstration, where O.B.1 tells the storm-troopers that they do not need to see Luke's identification and that he can move along and go about his business demonstrating that the "Force" can have a strong effect on the weak-minded, actually works, but it works telepathically via the "Force", not with spoken words. It is done with words in the film because it cannot be shown telepathically on a film-screen.

The coffee-bar full of weird creatures symbolises many of the places you have been yourselves, full of "creatures of the night", not all of whom are really bad, but where some boast of their evil deeds and fighting ability and who pick fights with you for no reason.

Luke starts to learn to use the "Force," firstly trying to use his human eyes, then later whilst wearing a helmet with the "blast-shield" down (Ephesians 6 v 17) so that he cannot see, symbolising "blind-faith".

:agreed:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Xenomrph posted:

I used to be like that, I made it a point to buy every Star Wars comic, novel, videogame, sourcebook, whatever, just to be "a completist". Over time it got to be too difficult/expensive to keep up with everything that was coming out - I know I bought a ton of the books following the end of the New Jedi Order (the Swarm War trilogy, and like all of that 15-book mega-event that came after that) and didn't read a single one of them because to be totally honest my interest in Star Wars was really waning. I didn't buy any of the Fate of the Jedi books because at that point I'd wised up. I just didn't care anymore, and to be honest it's kinda difficult to articulate why I cared so much in the first place.

Finally one day I was looking at all of my Star Wars poo poo and realized that I didn't care about the vast majority of it, and everything else I was never going to read again and was just taking up space. So I sold off like all of the books except for the few I cared about and I knew I'd read again (the X-wing books, the short story anthologies), all of the video games except the ones I cared about (the X-wing/TIE Fighter series, Rogue Squadron series), all of the comics except the ones I gave a poo poo about (the Rogue Squadron ones - noticing a pattern? - and the Tales of the Jedi stuff) and freed up a ton of room in my house.

And then Lucasfilm went and said everything was non-canon anyway lol
But I don't care, I re-read the X-wing comics and books because they're fun to read and I like Star Wars starfighters dogfighting and blowing poo poo up, and I'm not really bothered if it's not "The True History Of The Star Wars Galaxy" anymore or whatever.

My interest in Star Wars dwindled for a long while, even in the face of the new movie coming out and the hype train gaining speed, but I recently got hooked on the X-wing miniatures game (who would have guessed?) and having fun with that, and it's making me want to re-read the X-wing books/comics and see if I still enjoy them as much as I thought I did.

and that's a lot of words about Star Wars

This post pretty much applies to me, too.

The only books I care about are the X-Wing and Thrawn books, the X-Wing\TIE Fighter\Rogue Squadron games rule and the X-Wing minis game is fun.

Xenomrph posted:

In theory yes, because they're claiming everything is equally "canon" now, top to bottom.

Although we'll see how well that holds up a few years down the line when some director wants to tell a cool movie story and the Lucasfilm Story Group steps in and says "hold on now, that would contradict Star Wars comic issue #37 (which the average moviegoing public neither read nor gives a poo poo about)"

There's some old EU stuff I'd like to see "re-canonized", most of which wouldn't contradict anything if it were reintroduced.
- Shadows of the Empire (all of it)
- Much of the 3000 years BBY stuff (Tales of the Jedi comics, Knights of the Old Republic comics and games)
- The Xwing/TIE Fighter/XvT/Xwing Alliance games, and the stuff from the Rogue Squadron games that take place pre- ROTJ
- Mara Jade as a character (in a limited capacity - agent/assassin for the Empire, but don't bother with anything post-ROTJ where she interacts with Luke/Han/Leia). I just like Mara Jade as a character :shobon:
- the bulk of the Boba Fett standalone comics where he's off being a cool dude and doing cool poo poo (namely the one where he kills Jodo Kast)
- gently caress it, the bulk of the West End Games stuff that doesn't contradict the upcoming movie

You post correct Star Wars things. I agree with this. You just listed the only worthwhile EU poo poo. Only thing you left out was Grand Admiral Thrawn, who is a cool dude.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The first level of Force Unleashed 1 (which was also the demo) is the only genuinely good thing that came out of any of that. Everything that comes after that gets steadily worse in a number of inventive ways to be bad. Both of them felt rather rushed, the second one far more so.

The idea of playing Star Wars Goku is awesome but they hosed up a lot of things along the way. The level design and "story" in the second one are awful and it's basically a 13-year-old's fanfic where he meets all the original series characters, who either wave at him or he kills them.

The prequels and the EU are kinda lovely but the Force Unleashed's storyline is such a slap in the face, it's the one thing that actually pisses me off. The prequels made Darth Vader into a whiny little bitch, but nothing shits over the original movies as much as the Force Unleashed and holy gently caress am I glad that thing no longer counts.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
isnt jodo kast actually admiral thrawn

or was that somehow admiral thrawn pretending to be jodo cast pretending to be boba fett

I seriously hope it isnt the latter because lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tom Brady posted:

isnt jodo kast actually admiral thrawn

or was that somehow admiral thrawn pretending to be jodo cast pretending to be boba fett

I seriously hope it isnt the latter because lol

It wasn't Jodo Kast, but for Specter of the Past/Vision of the Future, it was an imposter.

That just goes to further remind me that despite the original Zahn Thrawn trilogy being decent, Specter/Vision were both piles of hot garbage, and are directly responsible for the ridiculous Mara Jade/Luke Skywalker shipping seen in other books since.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No pretty sure that that was because of the original thrawn trilogy, he laid it on pretty thick by the end

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

silvergoose posted:

No pretty sure that that was because of the original thrawn trilogy, he laid it on pretty thick by the end

Wookiepedia (echh) sez:

quote:

in the article, ComicScan: Luke-ing for Love in all the Wrong Places in Star Wars Galaxy Collector 7, Timothy Zahn stated that one of the conditions for writing these novels was that Luke Skywalker would become engaged to Mara Jade at the duology's conclusion.

I mean I know it was going on the first trilogy, but I vividly recall even 16-year-old hypernerd me rolling my eyes at a bunch of the Luke-Mara interactions in Specter/Vision.

e: also IIRC it was that pair of books that introduced Thrawn's ability to defeat an entire civilization by looking at a painting

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The Thrawn books were really badly written (at least the first one which I couldn't finish) in so many ways I dunno how they're considered good. I've read and enjoyed warham books so it's not like I have particularly high standards for this stuff either.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

drunk asian neighbor posted:

e: also IIRC it was that pair of books that introduced Thrawn's ability to defeat an entire civilization by looking at a painting

Yeah, as much as people like the Thrawn books, Thrawn being able to look at a piece of art and then automatically knowing exactly how a member of any given species is going to behave according to that is beyond stupid.

That said, Galen Marek is the biggest Mary Sue in all of Star Wars and makes Corran Horn seem fine in comparison. And they gave Horn a state funeral of thousands of people when they thought he died. And he was just some X-Wing pilot. Like, compared to Galen Marek or Kyp Durron, Corran Horn almost seems like a good character.

Galen Marek is like, the most powerful guy in Star Wars ever, kicked both Darth Vader and the Emperor's asses, he was Vader's apprentice, was both a Sith AND a Jedi, could move entire Star Destroyers with the force and he is the founder of the goddamn Rebel Alliance. Plus in the DLC he basically kills every beloved Star Wars character ever just to show how awesome he is. The Force Unleashed is like a 12 year old's fanfic.

And then there's the Sun Crusher and Kyp Durron. Even at age 12 I knew the Jedi Academy books were the dumbest poo poo ever.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST!

Even when I make a joke about the most obscure things that you only see for 1/50th of a second in the original trilogy, it turns out there is a billion-word backstory to them.

How about the 4-eyed bear with the piece of poo poo hanging out of his mouth. . . is there some glorious epic about him?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm still waiting for my Bea Arthur action figure :colbert:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Blistex posted:

JESUS loving CHRIST!

Even when I make a joke about the most obscure things that you only see for 1/50th of a second in the original trilogy, it turns out there is a billion-word backstory to them.

How about the 4-eyed bear with the piece of poo poo hanging out of his mouth. . . is there some glorious epic about him?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Muftak

Muftak was orphaned at Docking Bay 12 of the Mos Eisley spaceport on Tatooine. He grew up among the cantina's regular, local customers, performing odd jobs to make a living. He always knew that he was different from almost every other race that passed through Mos Eisley, but he couldn't learn who or what he was. He searched out information from his friend, Momaw Nadon, but Nadon had never seen a Talz before.

In time, Muftak found and adopted the abandoned Chadra-Fan female named Kabe, and the two were nearly inseparable. Together they were known as pickpockets and thieves, with Muftak providing the brawn, while Kabe provided the brains.
Just after the Millennium Falcon blasted out of Mos Eisley, Muftak and Kabe decided to rob Jabba Desilijic Tiure's Mos Eisley townhouse, where Mosep Binneed had established the Hutt's treasury and financial headquarters. They were rewarded when they were able to rescue a datadot from Barid Mesoriaam, who was being tortured by Jabba for information on the Rebel Alliance. Muftak and Kabe barely escaped, but were paid 15,000 credits and a pair of travel vouchers signed by Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. They fled Tatooine, traveling to both Alzoc III and Chad before visiting other planets.
During this time, Muftak wrote his autobiography, Sands in Winter.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Elukka posted:

The Thrawn books were really badly written (at least the first one which I couldn't finish) in so many ways I dunno how they're considered good. I've read and enjoyed warham books so it's not like I have particularly high standards for this stuff either.

People will wade through baffling amounts of writing that they hate to get their fix of space battles. No idea why - it's not like there's a shortage of space opera. You can afford to be picky.

TheHotCarl
Dec 14, 2003
Bulk Male Playmate of the Month: January, 1967
all fictoin is an eu of reality

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

drunk asian neighbor posted:

also IIRC it was that pair of books that introduced Thrawn's ability to defeat an entire civilization by looking at a painting

No that was the original books, Thrawn isn't even in Spectre/Vision.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Muftak

Muftak was orphaned at Docking Bay 12 of the Mos Eisley spaceport on Tatooine. He grew up among the cantina's regular, local customers, performing odd jobs to make a living. He always knew that he was different from almost every other race that passed through Mos Eisley, but he couldn't learn who or what he was. He searched out information from his friend, Momaw Nadon, but Nadon had never seen a Talz before.

In time, Muftak found and adopted the abandoned Chadra-Fan female named Kabe, and the two were nearly inseparable. Together they were known as pickpockets and thieves, with Muftak providing the brawn, while Kabe provided the brains.
Just after the Millennium Falcon blasted out of Mos Eisley, Muftak and Kabe decided to rob Jabba Desilijic Tiure's Mos Eisley townhouse, where Mosep Binneed had established the Hutt's treasury and financial headquarters. They were rewarded when they were able to rescue a datadot from Barid Mesoriaam, who was being tortured by Jabba for information on the Rebel Alliance. Muftak and Kabe barely escaped, but were paid 15,000 credits and a pair of travel vouchers signed by Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin. They fled Tatooine, traveling to both Alzoc III and Chad before visiting other planets.
During this time, Muftak wrote his autobiography, Sands in Winter.

The fact that you were even able to find out who that character was means that I now have a much lower opinion of you Fojar.

Instead of me posting pictures of every single extra from the original trilogy I guess I could ask. . . does literally everyone have a backstory? Can I point out (during the emperor's arrival on the death star in ROTJ) the storm trooper in the second last row, 5th from the left (which is actually a matte painting, and not even real actors) and he will literally have his own novella about how he slept in during the battle of endor and his turbolaser cannon (the one defending the entrance to the reactor access tunnel) went unmanned, meaning he single-handedly allowed the rebellion to defeat the empire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
In X-Wing: Iron Fist, a Talz prisoner is described as "opening its mouth and roaring." According to other sources, however, Talz do not have mouths, and thus, cannot roar.

• Locked thread