Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
There isn't a single PS1 Classics release that works on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Great news since my old copy stopped working. Will the save on my PS3 still be usable?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wait, they're charging ten dollars for Legends when all the other Mega Man games go for six? You loving pigs, Capcom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

Wait, they're charging ten dollars for Legends when all the other Mega Man games go for six? You loving pigs, Capcom.

There's a pretty good chance they actually had to edit the game. (We'll see if they actually did or not.)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Here's hoping Mega Man 64 hits Wii U!

God, the voice quality was AWFUL in that because of the space limitations, but I still had fun playing through it.

Looking forward to kicking the poo poo out of that can.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ImpAtom posted:

There's a pretty good chance they actually had to edit the game. (We'll see if they actually did or not.)

I mean, I'm going to pay the money to have a digital copy since mine doesn't want to read on my PS3 but will on my PS2. If they need an extra four bucks for each purchase to cover editing the game, it better be something major and not just that reference to YAG.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I wonder if MAoTB sold well enough and that the Red Ash kick-start failure got Capcom to re-evaluate the property as potential cash to put this up. I mean Red Ash failed but 500k is still a pretty decent indicator of interest. Might be a testing the water check. (We will never get the third MML game.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

I mean, I'm going to pay the money to have a digital copy since mine doesn't want to read on my PS3 but will on my PS2. If they need an extra four bucks for each purchase to cover editing the game, it better be something major and not just that reference to YAG.

Having to do that to an existing old game is actually pretty significant, especially if you want to make sure it doesn't break anything.

Kortel posted:

I wonder if MAoTB sold well enough and that the Red Ash kick-start failure got Capcom to re-evaluate the property as potential cash to put this up. I mean Red Ash failed but 500k is still a pretty decent indicator of interest. Might be a testing the water check. (We will never get the third MML game.)

It honestly isn't very significant. They had a relatively small number of backers even for that amount, they were just high-budget backers.

I suspect MAoTB did well however which is probably why they're bothering with MML.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Star Man posted:

...and not just that reference to YAG.

I must have missed the dungeon where I find a sample of Yttrium Aluminum Garnet. What?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's the video game design school in Uptown. You talk to a girl wearing an apron with the school's mascot on it. It is or was a game design school in Japan and the school's logo and mascot were licensed for use in the game. The reference to it was removed in the VC release of Mega Man 64. Sony's position regarding releasing PS1 and PS2 classics is that they have to be unchanged from the original release for that region.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm playing Mega Man 6, I've beaten 3 bosses, one of the levels I just beat (blizzard man) has the little 1 up head on it. What does this mean? The other ones I've beaten don't have this.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

I'm playing Mega Man 6, I've beaten 3 bosses, one of the levels I just beat (blizzard man) has the little 1 up head on it. What does this mean? The other ones I've beaten don't have this.

If I'm remembering right, it means there's some kind of secret you haven't acquired from that level such as a Rush Adapter or the Energy Balancer.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

If the level turns blank, that means there is a secret exit that you haven't found in it, where you'll fight the boss again and then get one of the 4 parts needed to use Beat. When you get the Beat part, it will be filled in with a letter. The secret exits require you to have either the power or jet adapters. The levels that get filled in with Mega Man heads don't have secret exits. It's not indicated on stage select whether or not you've found the energy balancer but it's hidden in Tomahawk Man's level.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Star Man posted:

The reference to it was removed in the VC release of Mega Man 64.
The what now? This doesn't exist does it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gaffle posted:

If the level turns blank, that means there is a secret exit that you haven't found in it, where you'll fight the boss again and then get one of the 4 parts needed to use Beat. When you get the Beat part, it will be filled in with a letter. The secret exits require you to have either the power or jet adapters. The levels that get filled in with Mega Man heads don't have secret exits. It's not indicated on stage select whether or not you've found the energy balancer but it's hidden in Tomahawk Man's level.

poo poo, there's an energy balancer in Tomahawk Man's stage? To be clear, that's the thing that allows you to pick up weapon power pellets when you don't have a weapon selected, and it fills in the lowest one, right?

That doesn't sound right, but you all know what I mean. You could buy the item in the store in MM9.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah, that's the one. You need to punch away a block over a seemingly-risky spike pit (you can stand just at the edge and the punch will reach enough, iirc).

I also didn't know about it until waaaay late.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
In MM6, you want to beat Flame Man and Plant Man as early as possible because they give you the most important things in the game. The Armors are really good and are required to get Beat and the Energy Balancer and Flame Blast shits all over every mini-boss.

Luckily very few of the bosses in 6 are difficult at all so you can easily buster duel them, but Plant Man's stage itself is kind of a bitch towards the end.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Uznare posted:

The what now? This doesn't exist does it.

Just read this.

http://www.rockman-corner.com/2015/05/regarding-mega-man-legends-and-property.html?m=1

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

The worst-case scenario is that nothing has been changed, just like with Eartbound and Donkey Kong 64, leaving the fandom with the gutwrenching feeling that maybe the company just didn't loving care.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 26, 2015

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They care enough to change things in order to avoid getting sued over reusing expired licensed material. I'm nit asking for sweeping changes that fix game bugs or improve play. I just don't lake paying an extra four bucks for a game if all it's for is to cover costs for outdated advertisements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The MN9 demo is out now if you're interested. Even if you didn't pick Steam you still get the DRM-free PC version.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far it doesn't seem to like the Dual Shock 4 Input Mapper, and it doesn't look like it can do borderless windowed. Like, it says it does borderless windowed, but when I select it the screen just goes into a different aspect ratio on a normal window.

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like the game just doesn't like Input Mapper, so it looks like I won't be able to use a d-pad

EDIT2: Why is this game dropping frames when I am in the menus?

EDIT3: Why is this game dropping frames all the time?

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 26, 2015

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The MN9 demo is out now if you're interested. Even if you didn't pick Steam you still get the DRM-free PC version.

They also announced the new release dates:
February 9th, 2016 in North America, February 12th for the rest of the world.

The demo doesn't work with Wine anymore.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I've now beaten 1-5 on Game Boy and 1-6 on NES. I'm wondering is Mega Man 6 too easy or are the other games too hard

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

.. does the demo not actually include robot master powers? That seems like an odd thing to leave out.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. does the demo not actually include robot master powers? That seems like an odd thing to leave out.

Yes, they left it out for some mysterious reason. Recent show floor demos had them.

It also seems that $5 tier Backers don't have access to the demo.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Well, I think we can all conclude why the game was delayed for five months.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My general thoughts on playing is that it's pretty fun but has some problems.

The level design is honestly kinda bad. It's a lot of generally-empty space and enemy positioning isn't very interesting. The 'midbosses' just being enemy waves is pretty weak and feels kind of lazy.

The biggest problem I'd say is that there are some genuinely dumb game design decisions, usually put alongside the instan-kill areas. The fact that Dash and Crouch-Dash are different things feels goofy and needless. So far literally the only time I've needed to Crouch Dash is in a stupid area where you have to do it to get under an insta-kill spinning thing, and it seems like the designers knew it was dumb too because a tutorial pop-up occurs there since the game design doesn't teach you naturally about it at all. (I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't realize Dash and Crouch-Dash were different things.)

Especially lacking the robot master weapons it feels a lot more score/speedrun-oriented than a usual Mega Man game. You're strongly encouraged to attack as fast as possible to keep your Xel boosts up. That's not necessarily a negative but it will probably tick people off who were expecting more traditional Mega Man style gameplay, especially since without those weapons the Xel boosts are the only real modifier you have to your abilities.

The boss fights are not bad but at least one has an insta-kill move which seems to exist only as a "Gotcha" and not something more design-oriented like Storm Eagle having death pits. Limited lives are probably going to tick people off in conjunction with that.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I still don't get why Beck stumbles when landing sometimes. Also just in general the game seems to be off in how it controls, but it almost feels like it is intentionally off at times.

Also the voice acting is still not good, and never stops.

EDIT: Why does this game run so terribly?

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 26, 2015

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

How do the shops work in BN4? Do they keep their inventory through multiple playthroughs?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

How do the shops work in BN4? Do they keep their inventory through multiple playthroughs?

no stop turn around

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Looper posted:

no stop turn around

Too late broseph I'm going balls deep.

Also I just S-ranked a ShripyEX+*spider virus which name I can't remember* by comboing Boomer and Whiteweb and it was super sick.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Stink Terios posted:

The best way to use the shop is to remove your MMBN4 cartridge and inserting your copy of BN3 or 6.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So after having beat all of the levels and challenges in the demo I have to say that MN.9 feels like it has a fine idea (shooting and dashing are really fun in a Mega Man game), but it just feels so lazily and cheaply made in almost every way.

With controls, I still don't get why there is the slight stumble when you land, other than it being something to make the game control worse because why not. Also there are little things that I just wonder why they exist, like the Action Shift thing with R2, where it makes you leap backwards but has a large delay on it. I get that it is supposed to be for dealing with the Sniper Joe like enemies, but just jumping in place works far better for that. Finally, with how the dashing works it really feels like this game needs some sort of wall cling/climb, because just coming up short of a ledge and falling in a pit feels terrible.

Then there is the level design, which is just really bland, and relies way too much on insta-death spikes. Alongside that it also just keeps wanting to slow you down with combat arena's for some reason, even though the game is at its best when it is letting you go fast. Then you get to the bosses and you just get a simple fight against something that has a ton of health, and is regularly broken up by needing to dash into them to start the next barely different phase.

All of this, coupled with how genuinely bad the game looks just makes it feel super cheaply made, which is a shame because it does feel like there is a fun solid base to build from.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 26, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Star Man posted:

They care enough to change things in order to avoid getting sued over reusing expired licensed material. I'm nit asking for sweeping changes that fix game bugs or improve play. I just don't lake paying an extra four bucks for a game if all it's for is to cover costs for outdated advertisements.

According to that article, altering the game isn't allowed - is has to be the game as it was originally released. Which means there's no excuse for the years of non-release and quiet - except, perhaps, to engineer the Cartmanland Effect by making people want it more because they can't have it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

So after having beat all of the levels and challenges in the demo I have to say that MN.9 feels like it has a fine idea (shooting and dashing are really fun in a Mega Man game), but it just feels so lazily and cheaply made in almost every way. Also the bosses are kinda simple and go on for way too long, resulting in them being pretty boring.

The dash mechanic *really* doesn't work for boss fights. it adds nothing to it. It makes sense for the stages where it encourages fast precise movement but against bosses it is just like "oh okay now you gotta dash into them."

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ImpAtom posted:

...what happens if I forgot to pick a platform? :geno:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

...what happens if I forgot to pick a platform? :geno:

I presume you can still go back and pick. Try reloading your Humble Bundle if it isn't there, that is what I had to do.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It should be there under "Unclaimed Purchase(s)" at the top of your purchases page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

I've now beaten 1-5 on Game Boy and 1-6 on NES. I'm wondering is Mega Man 6 too easy or are the other games too hard
I still think 2 is the easiest because Metal Blade is broken.