Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually it doesn't even do that. It sets defense to a random number between 0 and the target's current defense (inclusive). Even if it hits, there's a chance it won't do anything at all! Hence, L3 Useless.

Also nearly every enemy has 10 defense, so it's not actually that hefty of a decrease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That tidbit about Vivi is amazing. I don't know why, but I love things like Grand Dragons in video games. It's something unique entirely to this form of artwork. Like I remember playing Kingdom Hearts 1 for the first time and being like "Oh, I wonder who ??? is. Holy poo poo, it's Sephir-" Dead. It gives you something to work toward assuming you don't know the tricks. Because, at least with my play style, the first thing on the list of things to do when the map is open to us in its entirety is to come back and beat that fucker into dust.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Don't forget, guys, Gizmaluke was being mind-controlled or some poo poo. The enemy forces probably put the whammy on him for the express purpose of gaining control over the grotto. Assuming the "Gizmaluke opens and closes the doors" theory is correct, anyway.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Bufuman posted:

EDIT: Also, the whole Tent trick? It's mentioned very early in the much-lambasted official guide, so I knew about the trick right off. Yes, the guide actually told a player something USEFUL. In retrospect, I'm as stunned as you are.

I must have skipped over that or been like "gently caress you, guide, Tents are expensive!" because I never knew using Tents on bosses could do that until now.

Also, gently caress that guide.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Presumably the guards were carrying more than one apiece originally, since they break on use.

This is the case, since if you screw yourself out of progress by using your bells on the wrong doors (You're automatically given 1 less bell than there are doors in the dungeon) you can go back and loot that first guard's body for another. :eng101:

...Zidane feels bad for doing it. :eng99:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Even if you don't use the Tent trick to cheese out this fight, by this time you have access to a couple pieces of gear that reduce the damage of Giz's watery magic attacks. In addition, Zidane can either use the Mage Masher with Add Status to try and Silence him, or use a special ability on The Ogre to blind him.

This is the first boss you can really shut down with status effects, which is important considering the damage he can put out and if you want to steal the staff he has. I usually skip it because Chocobo Hot and Cold can get you something nice to tide you over until you can get the staff later.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I must have skipped over that or been like "gently caress you, guide, Tents are expensive!" because I never knew using Tents on bosses could do that until now.

Also, gently caress that guide.

I personally only bought the Prima guide for XI for the 10% discount on the game from Electronics Boutique.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

cdyoung posted:

I personally only bought the Prima guide for XI for the 10% discount on the game from Electronics Boutique.

Doesn't that mean you actually paid more for the game?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The bell security system actually makes a lot of sense if you consider the possibility that Gizamaluke's Grotto is usually open, like others have said, but in case of invasion you want to make unlocking everything as annoying as possible for your enemies.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I never bought the Prima guide for this game. I used the walkthrough in Expert Gamer back in the day and that was about it. They covered the tent trick too.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Doesn't that mean you actually paid more for the game?

I wasn;t very bright back then.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One thing this game does really well is demonstrate emotional distress during battle.

Though, you'd think that Freya would have a mandatory Trance segment at some point during this dungeon given what's happening to Burmecia. :shrug:
Yeah the game is really good at actually being very conscious of its characters in knowing when it was appropriate for them to be all like "VICTORY!" and when not to do that.

I actually...don't remember Freya ever getting a mandatory trance, though I know she is not the only one who doesn't since the other character WAY on later in the game doesn't really have any events pertaining to it. I'm also pretty sure that Quina never does for obvious reasons.
But it's weird Freya never gets a mandatory trance segment, I could be genuinely misremembering though so maybe I'll get proven wrong. I didn't like GIzamaluke Grotto despite the fact it's actually one of the shortest dungeons in Final Fantasy if I recall correctly. Certainly felt really contained on itself.

And yes I was one of many suckers who bought that loving Prima guide, I managed to get online to the site and basically scribble down everything into notebook pages, it literally looks like a conspiracy theorist's book with seven-dozen paperclipped notes into the pages.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER SIX: Quark finds fork and swings "JREAK OUFF" it at black mage's throat hitting it in the nailed him.

Much like a normal playthrough, you want to go here to get the most valuable party member.

Unlike a normal playthrough, I name 'm Quark.

Christ I hate English's lack of a true gender-neutral third-person pronoun. I get nothing really accurate for this tiny quanta of matter that will turn out to matter a lot.

I have to because otherwise level 1 is literally and strictly impossible, and I do mean that at least in the short term. In the long term it's almost the same, from like "astronomically low chances" to "feasible".

"They posted like two-dozen screeds about Muslims a day, like hell I'd take their friend request!"

High Tide would be a good name for a dumb pun image macro about laundry detergent with weed.

It also makes Trance gauge gains go from 1-to-Spirit per hit to Spirit per hit. Quark is the least spirited member of the notspirit squad. Bluh.

I do catch a few frogs, but not many as I don't care.

Anyway it's time to backtrack drastically.

Ah, Lindblum area. I don't think you are ever required to leave from the front door like this at any point in the game.

This is the formation I want. I don't know if there's another formation with an Axebeak where it's not alone, but this is the one that exists so I want it.

Ratchel is too stronk to just gently prod Quark awake it seems.

Ah, yes, one of two Blue Magic spells that I'll get. I may get a third if whimsy strikes.

To that guy who thought Frog Drop, christ no it's level*frogs, so it would take 420 frogs to deal 420 damage.

Anyway I'm out! Get to keep the blue magic unlike FF7 too!

Anyway it's a boring 10 minute walk to the Chocolate Bar Forest.

"The secret is, this is actually an indian graveyard and you're gonna be digging their buried treasures and they'll curse you by draining your level."
"Heh I'm already level 1."
"T-the Chosen One????!"

Digging happens. I get a lot of consumables and just enough gil that I break even, actually. You don't have to worry about running out of cash forever, as long as you can access the forest and/or have Gitan around to steal.

The real prize here are the chocographs, as this equipment is actually very helpful for staying alive.

I'm also including screenshots of where they are just because I love you.

The boots have flee, meaning I can give Gitan whatever weapon I want and he'll still have flee. Alert is good because back attacks are really, really bad.

gently caress you mene you meanie

So after about like several millenia of digging I find the only other chocograph that can be redeemed up before the grotto, after every other chocograph that can be dug up in Disc 1 presented themselves.

This also filled me the gently caress up with restoratives.

You know, I remember this chest as having Silk Robes.

Imagine my dismay. At least it's more money.

Anyway, time for one of the harder parts of the run.

Gitan's sensed it. Forced battles with experience-yielding enemies.

This fight is so innocuous in a normal playthrough I would not begrudge you for forgetting it even existed.

It took over 2 hours of constant effort my first go at Level 1.

So immediately I chuck tents. These working quickly is of central importance to this not being a pain.

As, you know, these guys hurt hard.

Gitan resists ice. If the Type A hit anyone else, they're dead. If he cast Thunder on anyone but Ratchel, they're dead. If he cast fire, they're dead. Strike is survivable at full HP for anyone but Papito.

These guys can take down two guys a turn if you don't get lucky.

Thankfully the first tent hits on the second try.

He was just about to do something so this is extremely fortunately.

Second Type A is also nailed on the second tent.

Then I cure poison so they don't die.

Then Quark gets to jabbin' with that Needle Fork.

Forks deal variable damage and these Type As don't have that much HP. I keep them topped off so as to not accidentally kill one.

Lost so many runs that way.

I use my Hi-Potions for something! Isn't it amazing?

These li'l jabs aren't a worry.

While the magic is big-c Ceased, they can technically attack physically.

It misses a lot and doesn't deal much and it's not a worry without the spells on top.

Ah but on this jab the Type A doesn't recoil!

It means the Needle Fork's 10% petrify chance has kicked in!

Goddamn, first jab on the other Type A and it gets stoned.

So, every enemy has an infinite-duration status effect that prevents them from acting.

WE DID IT GUYS WE WON

Petrified enemies don't give experience, by the way.

Or gil or items, just AP. Whatever, we can get gil or items elsewhere. We've dodged 230 experience points.

Ah gently caress.

These guys took out two guys in the first dang turn.

That deep in the hole, it's faster to get a game over than to reset or to win.

gently caress this door. There's no need. The Bronze Vest teaches Jelly and Jelly is useless to me.

So let's just progress!

Hey look, admire this frame. iI's as detailed as all the rest despite being a transition frame seen for a split second.

SUDDENLY... BETRAYL??!?!?

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I think it was BradyGames who made the PlayOnline Unfree Brochure. Prima was busy with other lovely guides, like for Jade Cocoon! :pseudo:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zeikier posted:

I think it was BradyGames who made the PlayOnline Unfree Brochure. Prima was busy with other lovely guides, like for Jade Cocoon! :pseudo:

Yeah, it was BradyGames.

NEVER FORGET. :cryingvivi:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Zeikier posted:

Yeaaaaaaah no you are totally right it was BradyGames.

gently caress PlayOnline, holy poo poo what a colossally bad idea that thing was.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

FinalGamer posted:

Yeaaaaaaah no you are totally right it was BradyGames.

gently caress PlayOnline, holy poo poo what a colossally bad idea that thing was.

I got the guide for free basically when I bought it and FF9 off another goon. Holy gently caress, it was even -worse- than I had imagined. Are we -ever- glad Squeenix basically tossed the idea in the furnace after that. Can't even access the stuff anymore outside of the Way Back Machine. You're better off using Bover's FF9 guide if you need it. The Way Back Machine page I have is just concerning the extras, though I'll give them a little credit and say it's -half-way- researched and playtested from what I read.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 26, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
PlayOnline was just about the worst thought-out idea Square ever had, given that GameFAQs was already a thing (having been founded 5 years before FF9's release in 2000). "Sure, let's make this big elaborate guide requiring annoying-as-hell coordination between a buy-able guide and an online website that's frustrating to navigate. It's not like people will just opt to cut out the middleman and copy all our info to another site that lets people ignore our big special site and thus not spend money on our guide. That would be SILLY!"

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Kemix posted:

Are we -ever- glad Squeenix basically tossed the idea in the furnace after that.

The PlayOnline guides went to FFX as well. :eng101: But it was scrapped not long after X was released iirc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

PlayOnline is still alive. It's FFXI now.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Brady published that shitshow of a guide, but they also published a really good art book for FFIX, before the time game art books got to be really popular. Apparently you can buy them for somewhere between $5 and $75 nowdays.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Your plan is to hope your equipment procs petrify?

I guess Level 1 runs get serious about now.

Do you get experience for anything Q eats? That would make it easier, if you didn't.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Your plan is to hope your equipment procs petrify?

I guess Level 1 runs get serious about now.

Do you get experience for anything Q eats? That would make it easier, if you didn't.

Only if you actually win the battle. It doesn't apply some 0 EXP thing like petrify does. So for a lone enemy like Ironites I can't get Angel's Snack and stay level 1 as I can't run after eating it. The Axebeaks were in a pair so one got eaten and the other survived to tell the clan of the horrible sight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want to hack the game so I can have Quina eat Baku.

Also love how much effort and bullshit luck it takes to stay L1 thanks to the mages. Looks like you lucked out with the first fight.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yep, this is why the Needle Fork, and in turn Quina, are so invaluable for a L1 run. It's not blue magic. It's not attack power.

It's because petrified enemies don't give experience, and there's a huge chunk of forced battles in the span between now and when you get better options. You will eventually get the means to inflict Petrify 100% of the time without fail, but that's not until halfway through disc 3. Until then, you've got to hinge on Needle Fork + Add Status's 10% proc rate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Yep, this is why the Needle Fork, and in turn Quina, are so invaluable for a L1 run. It's not blue magic. It's not attack power.

It's because petrified enemies don't give experience, and there's a huge chunk of forced battles in the span between now and when you get better options. You will eventually get the means to inflict Petrify 100% of the time without fail, but that's not until halfway through disc 3. Until then, you've got to hinge on Needle Fork + Add Status's 10% proc rate.

The sad thing is that immediately after this dungeon, you can get a much, much better way of dealing with forced XP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

Also love how much effort and bullshit luck it takes to stay L1 thanks to the mages. Looks like you lucked out with the first fight.

The only thing that could've gone better is the tents both landing the first try. Mostly it's two characters die instantly and I'm trying damage control the whole time while trying to stab with a fork whenever possible and one falls over GODDAMMIT why do forks deal random damage, stuff like that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only thing that could've gone better is the tents both landing the first try. Mostly it's two characters die instantly and I'm trying damage control the whole time while trying to stab with a fork whenever possible and one falls over GODDAMMIT why do forks deal random damage, stuff like that.

Forks/Axes dealing random damage is one thing I've always hated about the series.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Forks/Axes dealing random damage is one thing I've always hated about the series.

And bags, don't forget the loving bags and flails, depending on the game

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hey, at least in some games there are fixed damage formula axes (FFV) and flails (FFVIII).

Forks have always been and will forever be random.

Incidentally, this is also why there's never any point taking Quina out of the back row - fork damage isn't affected by row placement.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hey, at least in some games there are fixed damage formula axes (FFV) and flails (FFVIII).

Incidentally, this is also why there's never any point taking Quina out of the back row - fork damage isn't affected by row placement.

Naturally, Quina starts out in the front row so you'd never know otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Have there been forks in any other Final Fantasy title?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think this is true, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

Have there been forks in any other Final Fantasy title?

Nope, just spears that occasionally had more than one prong.

FF5 had bells, FF6 had paintbrushes and gambling implements, FF7 has megaphones, FF10 had sports equipment and dolls, FFT has books actually being read and bolts of cloth and purses, and FFTA has souls.

There's off-kilter weapons too like Rinoa's blade-launchy thingy or Vanille's weird-rear end whip-staff thingy or Serah's transforming bowsword that's also a moogle, but those aren't anti-weapons like using a paintbrush or piece of silk.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Nope, just spears that occasionally had more than one prong.

FF5 had bells, FF6 had paintbrushes and gambling implements, FF7 has megaphones, FF10 had sports equipment and dolls, FFT has books actually being read and bolts of cloth and purses, and FFTA has souls.

There's off-kilter weapons too like Rinoa's blade-launchy thingy or Vanille's weird-rear end whip-staff thingy or Serah's transforming bowsword that's also a moogle, but those aren't anti-weapons like using a paintbrush or piece of silk.

ff7 Also had headdresses.

And Vanille's thing is actually a fishing rod.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Books are a good weapon. Words that kill.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FFT has books actually being read

Or thrown.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think this is true, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

I actually double checked and I was wrong, forks are affected by rows! My bad then. Then again I barely used Quina when I didn't have to, he/she was so awkward outside of gimmicks.

Incidentally, in Record Keeper, forks are classified as lances instead. Because they made up a new weapon category for Red's hairdresses and Setzer's darts but they didn't want to give Quina that honour.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually double checked and I was wrong, forks are affected by rows! My bad then. Then again I barely used Quina when I didn't have to, he/she was so awkward outside of gimmicks.

Incidentally, in Record Keeper, forks are classified as lances instead. Because they made up a new weapon category for Red's hairdresses and Setzer's darts but they didn't want to give Quina that honour.

Don't forget Barret's gun-arms, Wakka's balls, or Lulu's dolls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
And naturally FF isn't the only JRPG series with oddball weapons. I can think of maybe 3 series where umbrellas are a weapon.

The big winner for weird-rear end weapons is probably the Tales series, where there's poo poo like books, giant dolls, kendamas, frying pans, straws, urns, and quills being used as weaponry. Hell, those last three are all from the same game!

EDIT: And now that I think about it, those are just the standard weapon classes. That's not even getting into the gag weaponry! Plastic pink daggers, paper fans, brooms (wait, those were used as normal weapons in Phantasia too), scratching posts for cats... cripes, Tales is a loving weird series.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 28, 2015

• Locked thread