Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jsor posted:

I think it started as a joke about neurotypical nerds who self-diagnosed with autism as an excuse to not learn about social graces but people lost that thread at some point.

Not really at all. As an insult it's always been about shaming people for becoming obsessive beyond social norms in one subject or another. Nearly identical to this thread's most common mantra "nerds are terrible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not really at all. As an insult it's always been about shaming people for becoming obsessive beyond social norms in one subject or another. Nearly identical to this thread's most common mantra "nerds are terrible".

Then just say "nerd".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Except, of course, that one of those two terms also refers to an actual mental illness, and outside of Gamergate's weirdest, filthiest persecution fantasies, nerds aren't even remotely as discriminated-against as the mentally-ill.

That's a fairly significant divide.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I have yet to see, aside from one or two Cinema Snob videos, an internet critic pull a skit that isn't deeply painful to watch. Make your salient points a part of your discussion, no one needs your 5 minute long joke with the wacky Devil guy and 90's kid or whatever. You're supposed to be talking about the movie, game, comic, etc, not play a lovely SNL sketch.

I've seen some that work, but they're usually integrated fairly well with the review. Obvious bias, but I'd point out Phelous Triangle review (which does a good job of working a time loop into a movie about a time loop), and Jacob's Ladder (which, paraphrasing someone in some comment section somewhere-- the Jacob's Ladder review made for a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies).

Triangle
http://phelous.com/2010/12/15/phelous/and-the-movies/triangle/

Jacob's Ladder
http://phelous.com/2013/07/31/phelous/and-the-movies/jacobs-ladder/

The absolute worst one I ever saw-- to the point where I was fastforwarding just to try to get to the review-- is Blockbuster Buster RIPD.

It was, like, five or ten minutes of-- plot-- maybe? Something about him waking up. Which lead to an into which was just him and a bunch of his friends in "character" screaming at the camera about things-- and-- talking in some Asian language about kissing a stuffed animal? Which lead to a transformation sequence? Which lead to an intro? Which lead to some big long thing about picking a video--- loving HELL.

This was when I'd burned through the archives of everyone else I watched, and was trying to find something new. I figured "hey, maybe I just don't get the skit, so I'll suffer through it to give the reviewer a chance-- it's still going-- it's still going-- there aren't any jokes here AND IT'S STILL loving GOING!"

Finally found the review. Which kept getting interrupted by more "friends in costumes" screaming at the camera.

And then the review finished, and it wasn't worth it. And then there was more sketch.

Now, maybe I just picked a bad episode. But at the time, it was a "new" episode, so it's not like I picked something at random from an archive. And maybe I would have given another episode a chance-- had I not had to suffer through 10+ minutes of horrific "sketch".

And I like sketches and characters and storylines. But that-- wow. That might have permanently turned me off trying to get into a new critic with an ongoing "skit-type thing".

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
It's why my internet review shows been leaning to podcast lately, I am ok with funny banter and off topic rants but it is sad seeing someone like doug making a skit show with a little review cram in.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

e X posted:

Hey poparena, I really like that you planning to pick up your pace, I really love your Animorphs reviews and I like your other stuff, too. It's a shame they don't get more attention on youtube.

Thanks. Hopefully, I can catch a second wind with my post-Animorphs projects. Right now, planning on doing reviews of the Doctor Who Virgin New Adventure novels from the 90s, which I hope gives my channel a nice booster shot.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really want to like Phelous, but it really seems like the guy tries way too hard at times to jump on a movie. His weird thing about absolutely hating a character in a film for like the slightest annoyance and NEVER LETTING IT GO. I'm sure it's like a character thing because otherwise how on earth does he like any horror movie ever made? Also he's second only to Nostalgia Critic in running jokes into the cold ground.

He's really funny at times, but after the 5th video of "ugh these people wanna go to a party/drink beer/ have fun? What assholes, when do we get any likable characters?" it gets grating.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

OldTennisCourt posted:

He's really funny at times, but after the 5th video of "ugh these people wanna go to a party/drink beer/ have fun? What assholes, when do we get any likable characters?" it gets grating.
As a joke, yeah, but if people are still writing scripts that loving lovely then they deserve to have it beaten into their heads.

Because professional filmmakers totally watch internet critics.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Beefstew posted:

As a joke, yeah, but if people are still writing scripts that loving lovely then they deserve to have it beaten into their heads.

Like, I can understand because most of the movies he does talk about are garbage (except Triangle with his a legit good movie) but it's just kind of a weird thing to hang onto and immediately dismiss characters over.

I will fully admit, Bootleg Zone, Halloweenie and many of his other reviews are really funny, it's just this weird thing that annoys me a lot of the time with his stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Except, of course, that one of those two terms also refers to an actual mental illness, and outside of Gamergate's weirdest, filthiest persecution fantasies, nerds aren't even remotely as discriminated-against as the mentally-ill.

That's a fairly significant divide.

Yes exactly.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

OldTennisCourt posted:

I will fully admit, Bootleg Zone, Halloweenie and many of his other reviews are really funny, it's just this weird thing that annoys me a lot of the time with his stuff.

Let's not forget the single best video he ever made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvwWTFxfUaA

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

lornekates posted:

Blockbuster Buster RIPD.

Glad to see that Blockbuster Buster is still terrible.

Shine on you crazy diamond. Shine on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, I have that problem with Hagan as well. Her actual commentary can be hilarious, but the skit/persona stuff she does is just grating.

I just looked up her persona to see who this was, and just reading a description of it made me close the tab.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I love phelous and the movies. (I'm a bit sad that he gave that show a name but I really appreciate where it came from). He knows what makes good horror good really well and is really good at articulating on why these bad movies fail at it. He's at his best when reviewing an adaptation or remake of something he really likes, Silent Hill Revelations(?) is one of my favorite reviews of his because he gives a lot of insight on why the game works as well as it does and how the movie completely misses the point.

I really don't think it's fair to compare phelous jokes with NC when it comes to running them into the ground, he doesn't try to force them into situations where they don't work, they are actually funny, and they are short. I still laugh at the "I got a shotgun", "the nightmare becomes reality", -and Barry Burton line gags.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Something that peeves me out is the occasional segway of "lol look at how sensitive parents/authorities are" when he'll get hung up on some of the most petty of things.

"Hah, the internet is so sensitive. Oh God a lovely character on a subpar sequel cheated on someone for a crappy joke? Let's drag out on just how disgusted I am for this for 10 to 15 minutes."

One of the more dumb things he tried to pull the libertarian poo poo on was over a crappy toy gun that gave out sparks getting banned in Greece. Gotten during a time when there was a major heat wave on a dry weather. Helen LoveJoy hosed up a loooot of people's minds.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I like Phelous in short doses. Like I'll watch him for a couple months, get a little tired of it and move on for a while. It's nice to have a lot of reviewers who don't think that screaming = funny.

I really miss the Sci-Fi Guy's stuff; he wasn't always the funniest, but he brought some really good analysis to the table. He stood by his rules for the genre.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Instead of stuff about bad reviewers, have bad movies. New Best of the Worst :frogsiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnzlIests4

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Beefstew posted:

v:shobon:v

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Remember that time Crispin Glover got angry about Kyle reviewing What Is It?

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
The NC Fury Road review sounds a lot like the Matrix review, which is where I finally gave up on the show. They kept on whining that "everyone thinks it's so smart" while saying squat to counter that. It was just a strawman that let them rag on the movie with the same kind of jokes they always make.

Compare that to whenever Anime Abandon does a popular and acclaimed anime. It's also a riff/recap show focussed on lovely 80s and 90s stuff, but Bennett and Marc know when to step up their game and present an actual critical argument. Meanwhile Doug and Rob sound like they're filling out a 1000-word essay from one half-formed sentence.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The Horse in Tears posted:

The NC Fury Road review sounds a lot like the Matrix review, which is where I finally gave up on the show. They kept on whining that "everyone thinks it's so smart" while saying squat to counter that.

Hey now, he pointed out that the saviour of our world was named Thomas. Thomas!
This is totally a counterargument, right guys?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

So it looks like Noah is going legit insane.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Instead of stuff about bad reviewers, have bad movies. New Best of the Worst :frogsiren:

I kept looking for that stack of Nukie tapes on their new shelves, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. Did they ever say they were going to do something with those tapes or did they just throw them away?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Archer666 posted:

Naaaah, pretty much everyone has, at some point, said something loving insane while 3/4s asleep, whether you remember it or not.

(Also, gentle reminder that this isn't the "Reviewer Twitterwatch Thread")

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, that's no more insane than the time at a sleepover a friend of mine sat up, commanded "THROW THE CHICKEN!" and immediately lay down again.

Brains get weird when we sleep, and sometimes they forget to flip the "no movement or speech" switch.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Hey now, he pointed out that the saviour of our world was named Thomas. Thomas!
This is totally a counterargument, right guys?

Yup, deadnaming is super funny. Though I can't say I'm surprised that Doug failed to pick up on the oodles of trans and queer subtext in those movies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

High Warlord Zog posted:

Yup, deadnaming is super funny. Though I can't say I'm surprised that Doug failed to pick up on the oodles of trans and queer subtext in those movies.

I don't think you can call Doug a transphobe for making fun of that.

I know we hate him since the stuff about TGWTG stuff came out, and I've stopped watching his videos too, but you guys have gone reaaaaalllllyyy hate circlejerk over this mighty quick, and it's annoying. Just stop giving him attention, christ.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Nah. The "Window Creeper" thing is a running joke. I think it comes from a video game or something (?).

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Dude everyone who sleep talks does crazy poo poo like that. You just never remember it.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Remember that time Crispin Glover got angry about Kyle reviewing What Is It?

Nope, I don't remember that-- because that's how threatening to sue someone works, right? It erases memory and bad PR. Right? Right?

watho posted:

Silent Hill Revelations(?) is one of my favorite reviews of his because he gives a lot of insight on why the game works as well as it does and how the movie completely misses the point.

My favorite part of that review is when he points out that by loving with the character backstories across two movies-- in movie one making two of the characters sisters-- and in movie two making the love interest the son of one of those sisters-- without remembering that the main character in movie two is the daughter of the other sister-- they basically ended up accidentally making the love interests cousins.

Yuuuuuuup.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

OH GOD, The're watching Future War! :stonk: I cannot imagine going through that thing without Mike and The Bots.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The NC Fury Road review sounds a lot like the Matrix review, which is where I finally gave up on the show. They kept on whining that "everyone thinks it's so smart" while saying squat to counter that. It was just a strawman that let them rag on the movie with the same kind of jokes they always make.

Compare that to whenever Anime Abandon does a popular and acclaimed anime. It's also a riff/recap show focussed on lovely 80s and 90s stuff, but Bennett and Marc know when to step up their game and present an actual critical argument. Meanwhile Doug and Rob sound like they're filling out a 1000-word essay from one half-formed sentence.

I think that Bennett doesn't really gives a poo poo that he pisses some people off when he criticizes a popular anime. So instead of having to sugar coat things, he can just come out and say stuff like "Naru may be the biggest bitch in the history of fiction" and not care if it pisses off any Love Hina fans. The other thing that helps is that he's prepared to say that he doesn't like something that's seen as really good but he respects the work behind it. In his top 20 best number 1 hits of all time list, there was like four or five where he was prepared to say that they didn't connect with him personally but he can acknowledge just how good they are.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Testekill posted:

I think that Bennett doesn't really gives a poo poo that he pisses some people off when he criticizes a popular anime. So instead of having to sugar coat things, he can just come out and say stuff like "Naru may be the biggest bitch in the history of fiction" and not care if it pisses off any Love Hina fans. The other thing that helps is that he's prepared to say that he doesn't like something that's seen as really good but he respects the work behind it. In his top 20 best number 1 hits of all time list, there was like four or five where he was prepared to say that they didn't connect with him personally but he can acknowledge just how good they are.

He poo poo all over NGE and basically didn't even finish the review he was so fed up with it. I think he's comfortable killing any sacred cow. One of my favorite bits was how he went into the relationship between Inuyasha and Kagome and how it's really an abusive dom/sub deal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I want more videos with Scientist Man: he's funny.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dude everyone who sleep talks does crazy poo poo like that. You just never remember it.

My mom once said when she woke me up to ask about getting on the internet I just responded with "What's the internet?" and went to bed.

Apparently I was really into Jay and Silent Bob

You hit the nail on the head!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

As someone who drinks a lot of water and is entirely ignorant of all the myriad ways using it would get me in trouble even if I only fill it with water, I need that flask.

edit: not the same video, but their review of Turbo Kid makes me wonder what the gently caress kind of person would find that film interesting.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I watched Turbo Kid based on their recommendation. It's not one of the Great Films Of Our Era™ or anything, but it was pretty fun. :shrug:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jsor posted:

I watched Turbo Kid based on their recommendation. It's not one of the Great Films Of Our Era™ or anything, but it was pretty fun. :shrug:

A theater not far from me was screening it about a month ago. I watched it, and I feel it is a fun movie.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
That reminds me. The local theater here is gonna be playing Miami Connection with a live riff from the MST3K guys. I -have to- go see that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Tired Moritz posted:

Lindsay's loose canon on Nightcrawler is out. https://www.patreon.com/posts/3251583

Time to cockblock her from ever doing the phantom.

:neckbeard: I wasn't into Lindsay at all when she was the Nostalgia Chick, but got into her Loose Canon series on a whim when she dropped the gimmick. Really dig it! Also cool (and surprising) to hear that she's a Nightcrawler fan and that her views on the character closely mirror mine.

I got into X-Men during the Chris Clairemont run in the 80's (along with Classic X-Men) when Kurt was the fun, swashbuckling type. He was fairly unique for that, especially for the time - despite his appearance or how bad things got, he was the source of positivity on the group. He also seemed to have a relatively normal life outside of the group (compared to most others within the X-Men at the time). It was a nice contrast to the rest of the group (many of whom were up their own asses) and, as she said, went a long way to making him stand out.

It's a bummer that the version of the character in the movies is based more on the much-maligned Chuck Austen's interpretation (simply due to timing, really), as that'll be the version more folks will be familiar with rather than the version that people actually liked.

Glad that there's been a return to the :yarr:, chandelier-swinging, fun-loving Kurt.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 25, 2015

• Locked thread