Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

DDRJake's biggest nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

Awesome new mechanics, do you know yet how Horde Unity will be affected by the size of your Horde?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gort posted:

Are there any mods that remove the "directionality" of the trade system? It seems wrong that some nodes are basically pre-destined to be incredible trade earners and others to just have the value sucked out of them.

I always thought it would be cool if you could cause nodes to effectively "drain" from adjacent trade nodes - if the total value of your node was higher than that of neighbouring nodes you would drain wealth from them to represent something like superior economic power. A part of this idea would be to use merchants and trade power in neighbouring nodes to siphon wealth towards areas you want to have more power. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it would be interesting for the trade directions to alter completely from start to finish, with European countries not necessarily being the end nodes.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

No horde is going to reform when they can roll around with an army of only 5-shock cavalry, looting and razing everything while syncretizing with Nahuatl because seriously.

...as it should be :black101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tahirovic posted:

Looks like I was luckier than you, I even beat the euros to the Cape, guess who's earning 200+ in trade. But it will be very close for me, I am currently thinking 1790/1800 to finish it, if I even can, due to being to scared and grabbing extra land to be more powerful for dealing with the euros.

Yeah, they got there really quickly, started around 1530 I think, so I just let them have it while I snuck around to West Africa. And yeah, you have to blob hard in India. Getting all those provinces along the Ganges goes a long way, and then you can drop basic buildings on them for a +0.5 to +0.8 income increase, which is amazing.

My Orissi settled presence in South America is actually quite low, most of Brazil was Portuguese, Colombia split between England and France. Oddly enough British Colombia was the only colonial nation that ever broke free. I supported others, but they'd only get like a 20 warscore, and would take war reps rather than independence.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've always wished that trade node flow direction would not be locked and instead always tried to shift it towards your trade collection node. It's kinda silly that, for example, Japan would push trade value all the way down to Malacca and establish their main trade center there instead of dragging it up to Nippon. Can't the value increase just be removed or be capped to x number of nodes to avoid the potential endless loop exploit? Or just be set according to the number of nodes pumping the majority of their wealth to you? But is it really necessary in the first place since controlling more nodes already gives you more money. :confused:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's fine as is but it does feel silly when, like the Hansa have such control of trade that Lubeck is worth more than EC, but of course node direction never changes so that's inefficient as all hell

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

All of this looks fantastic. Based on the text and screenshot it looks like you can only raze a province that own and thus cannot raze a province you are occupying in a war?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

I'm looking forward to Protestant Syncretism.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bort Bortles posted:

All of this looks fantastic. Based on the text and screenshot it looks like you can only raze a province that own and thus cannot raze a province you are occupying in a war?
Considering it permanently destroys development it would be pretty crazy if you could.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm looking forward to Protestant Syncretism.

What I want to know is once we have our Catholic/Protestant/Reformed syncretic state, can we then convert to 'real' Catholicism/Protestantism/Reformation? Or does that become available after reforming the government?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Sindai posted:

Considering it permanently destroys development it would be pretty crazy if you could.

Looks like it doesn't need to be cored though. With free province returning, you can just take provinces in a war, raze them for free power points, and return them so you don't have to deal with unrest.

This is all gonna change how nomads play a lot, wow. I thought they were already pretty mechanically distinct but this is way better.

e: unrelatedly, they added -10% admin tech cost to confucianism? :eyepop: that changes that from a practically worthless faith into a good one pretty quick

Koramei fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 24, 2015

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There may be a difference between the "syncretic bonuses" you get for being Tengri and the actual bonuses that each specific religion gets, so I wouldn't take that as full confirmation that anything has changed. Sunni also has 10% TE and morale, for example.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah in the dev diary thread Wiz confirmed that. Still it'd be weird if the syncretic bonuses are stronger than the actual faith so I have some hope.

Shinto is 5% discipline/-1 unrest
Shamanism is +2 tolerance own/+25% loot speed

and if you somehow manage to get to the Americas, Nahuatl is +10% land morale, +20% power gain from razing

This change to hordes sounds absolutely amazing. Also potentially a bit overpowered :mmmhmm: I really hope they don't end up nerfing this stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Make it moddable so that all religions can pick a syncretic faith and I'm sold.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

Yeah in the dev diary thread Wiz confirmed that. Still it'd be weird if the syncretic bonuses are stronger than the actual faith so I have some hope.

Shinto is 5% discipline/-1 unrest
Shamanism is +2 tolerance own/+25% loot speed

and if you somehow manage to get to the Americas, Nahuatl is +10% land morale, +20% power gain from razing

This change to hordes sounds absolutely amazing. Also potentially a bit overpowered :mmmhmm: I really hope they don't end up nerfing this stuff.

I knew Tengri/Nahuatl would be the only legitimate way to play the game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hordes are cool but I'm really salivating over what Estates alludes to. More internal mechanics in the vein of the Estates General?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
What's the current strategy for getting a Byzantium Basileus run off the ground? None of the large powers are willing to ally me (and Byzantium also seems to start out with negative trust towards them for some reason).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

What's the current strategy for getting a Byzantium Basileus run off the ground? None of the large powers are willing to ally me (and Byzantium also seems to start out with negative trust towards them for some reason).

You should be able to get Poland and/or Austria as allies. Maybe Aragon? Restart until several large European powers are rivaled to the Ottomans and I think the +1 dip rep adviser is more or less required.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I've tried about 5 starts so far, and in every one the Ottomans declared on me (once as early as 1445) before I was able to butter up Poland into an alliance. Did Byzantium get even harder with the latest patch?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

You have to restart a bunch of times until you get a run where

• Hungary and Poland don't rival each other
  • Poland gets and keeps its PU over Lithuania
  • the Ottomans leave you alone for a few years until your relations are high enough to get Royal Marriages and then alliances with Hungary and PL
  • the Ottomans get into a war with Genoa and Austria over the Crimea, preferably by attacking Genoa while they are still in the Empire so Austria can drag in their allies, but I managed even with just those two
  • Hungary and PL can't be in wars of their own and must be willing to accept your call at that point (the latter in particular has a 50% chance of getting wrecked by TO and friends and being useless)
  • your allies have to stop being stupid for a moment and realize that attacking an Ottoman stack they outnumber by 50% will get them routed individually

Allying Serbia until you can get bigger friends might help (or drag you into an unwinnable war), getting a dip-rep advisor will help, building enough galleys to blockade the Bosporus will likely bankrupt you and probably won't help as the Ottomans will just march through the Ukraine instead. I couldn't get an alliance with Austria until after destroying the Ottomans and conquering Croatia. Also keep in mind that you can make backups of your ironman saves if you value your sanity.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mygna posted:

You have to restart a bunch of times until you get a run where

• Hungary and Poland don't rival each other
  • Poland gets and keeps its PU over Lithuania
  • the Ottomans leave you alone for a few years until your relations are high enough to get Royal Marriages and then alliances with Hungary and PL
  • the Ottomans get into a war with Genoa and Austria over the Crimea, preferably by attacking Genoa while they are still in the Empire so Austria can drag in their allies, but I managed even with just those two
  • Hungary and PL can't be in wars of their own and must be willing to accept your call at that point (the latter in particular has a 50% chance of getting wrecked by TO and friends and being useless)
  • your allies have to stop being stupid for a moment and realize that attacking an Ottoman stack they outnumber by 50% will get them routed individually

Allying Serbia until you can get bigger friends might help (or drag you into an unwinnable war), getting a dip-rep advisor will help, building enough galleys to blockade the Bosporus will likely bankrupt you and probably won't help as the Ottomans will just march through the Ukraine instead. I couldn't get an alliance with Austria until after destroying the Ottomans and conquering Croatia. Also keep in mind that you can make backups of your ironman saves if you value your sanity.

Every Basileus run I've done has involved fighting the Ottomans solo by blockading the strait. Is that not viable anymore?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Ottos build a poo poo ton of ships, so good luck with that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dibujante posted:

Every Basileus run I've done has involved fighting the Ottomans solo by blockading the strait. Is that not viable anymore?

Nope still works, I did a run exactly like this about a month ago. Just delete your fort in Morea, army maintenance to 0, spam galleys, wait for OE to have a slightly shaky start and jump on them. You don't necessarily need to have more ships than they do, you just need to have enough that if you declare while one of their fleets is next to yours you'll win.

You will still have to do tons of restarts because they will DoW you a year or two in most of the time, and unlike some other older strats you don't have 100% chance of success of huge victory in the first war. I had to peace out for just reparations and 1 or 2 provinces the first time round, but just 1 province more naval FL makes a huge difference so if you win even once you'll probably keep on winning.

E:

You can go way over your FL, I had at least in the mid-high 20s of galleys when I did this. Just keep all other expenses to a minimum, your galleys are your life.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Dibujante posted:

The Ottos were fielding at least 40 galleys five years into the game in all of my attempts, and Tunis would bring another twenty out to play. Meanwhile, your forcelimits are sitting at 18, and you are barely making a profit even without going over them :shrug:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I keep coming within like 3 or so points of getting Poland to accept an RM -> alliance (with the dip rep advisor) and then the Ottomans DoW me. Is there no way to delay them from DoW-ing you?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mygna posted:

The Ottos were fielding at least 40 galleys five years into the game in all of my attempts, and Tunis would bring another twenty out to play. Meanwhile, your forcelimits are sitting at 18, and you are barely making a profit even without going over them :shrug:

That is actually manageable, as when the ottos go to war they divide their fleet in half, no matter who they are fighting. So if you can beat twenty you can basically keep them in harbor for the rest of the war.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is actually manageable, as when the ottos go to war they divide their fleet in half, no matter who they are fighting. So if you can beat twenty you can basically keep them in harbor for the rest of the war.

It is not unreasonable to match this number. What good is your credit rating if you're a corpse?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

You need a +diplomatic reputation advisor to have any hope as Byz.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Do straits count as land connections as far as coring restrictions go? Within the same continent. I want to get Moscow as France, but I don't particularly want to fight Poland and Lithuania, going through Denmark and Sweden would be a lot easier.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Ottos build a poo poo ton of ships, so good luck with that.

I got Basileus post-Common Sense, when making Galleys took twice as long. You have to take a fuckton of loans to make lots of galleys, and hope the Ottomans don't attack you quickly. Once they try to retake their cores in Anatolia, that is when you attack, block the strait, and reconquest your cores.

The most important part is they don't attack you right away, or you're done. It's luck.

skasion posted:

You need a +diplomatic reputation advisor to have any hope as Byz.

I disagree, to be honest. It'll make it easier for sure, but if you can dominate the strait you should be okay. Once you get big enough and have all the Balkans under your control, you should be able to secure the alliance with PL pretty easily.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Hordes are cool but I'm really salivating over what Estates alludes to. More internal mechanics in the vein of the Estates General?

this is all I can think it could be and I'm so excited. my dream is for a Europe-wide internal politics system, but even a France-specific mechanic ala English monarchy would own.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

Do straits count as land connections as far as coring restrictions go? Within the same continent. I want to get Moscow as France, but I don't particularly want to fight Poland and Lithuania, going through Denmark and Sweden would be a lot easier.

Yes. Although you don't really need a land connection either, you can just connect through the Baltic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. Although you don't really need a land connection either, you can just connect through the Baltic.

I thought unless you had a land connection to provinces you want to core, the stuff out of your coring range won't be corable, until the stuff you can core has been cored. I said cored a lot.

Like for instance, when I did BBB, I had to move my capital to Bergenhus so I could core all those lovely far away Scandinavian provinces at once, instead of having to wait for the closest ones to core, allowing me to core the further ones.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ah, then I don't know. I've never cared enough to figure out why you can sometimes core provinces, and sometimes not. Even when I have a direct land connection I sometimes still have to wait and core in a line.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can someone explain this?

Why will they be sunni when their only province I can give to them will be Shia?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Faith of released subjects is based on the majority faith of all their cores, not just the ones you are able to release.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I can confirm this. I recently tried my hand at an ottos WC and releasing a sunni religion Persia core into Persia still left them as Shia and I had to force convert them ASAP so that the liberty desire could start ticking down faster.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

420 Gank Mid posted:

I can confirm this. I recently tried my hand at an ottos WC and releasing a sunni religion Persia core into Persia still left them as Shia and I had to force convert them ASAP so that the liberty desire could start ticking down faster.
Persia will most likely just convert back to Shia, they have an event/decision for that. At least in my experience it was pointless trying to keep Persia Sunni, and together with the historical enemies modifier I actually regretted vassalising them as Ottoman quite quickly. Much easier to just use the oversees discount to grab and core their provinces yourself.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for the advice so far. In regards to Ideas, I went for Humanism-Diplomacy-Offensive. I am thinking either picking up Quantity or Economic. Would it be a bad idea to pick a military idea so soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for the advice so far. In regards to Ideas, I went for Humanism-Diplomacy-Offensive. I am thinking either picking up Quantity or Economic. Would it be a bad idea to pick a military idea so soon?

As long as your military tactics is current and you don't have a monarch with an awful Mil stat, you generally want to pick military ideas when you can if you do a lot of warring. The sooner you get a prussian army, the more you can utilize it, considering how spam happy the AI gets with level 8 forts. Lategame wars against the AI is more about waiting ages for sieges to finish than they are about battles.

• Locked thread