Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I love bad things. I like ELO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleInitial
Oct 30, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

I don't see how those two statements are related

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Thus the "explains so much"

Isn't he also involved with EA in some capacity?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Isn't he also involved with EA in some capacity?

He now goes out of his way to say that he is not, though he spends a pile of time on writing about it and discussing it and arguing it and knows all the people and and and

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

neonnoodle posted:

I don't really see what Electric Light Orchestra has to do with any of this. Though if you insist on holding your terrible opinion, we maybe heading for a showdown :rimshot:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Known neo-reactionaries ELO.

They were redpilled by Moldbug while writing the soundtrack for Xanadu.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9qeJskx6r0

:tinfoil:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

This is what a Patriarch looks like

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I assume RUSH's stance on robots renders them unpalatable to the movement?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Prog rock is contaminated by progessivism. It's right in the name.

loving progs.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This is what the neoreactionaries fear most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOyUGK12e58

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
The Cathedral is in fact headed by King Crimson.

I want this to be true so goddamn badly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

The Cathedral is in fact headed by King Crimson.

I want this to be true so goddamn badly.
death seed
blind man's greed
poets starving, children bleed

nothing he's got, he really needs
twenty first century red pill man

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Where does Jethro Tull fit into all this? I'm assuming they're considered a tool of the Cultural Marxists because they won that Grammy for best metal album instead of Metallica.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

Where does Jethro Tull fit into all this? I'm assuming they're considered a tool of the Cultural Marxists because they won that Grammy for best metal album instead of Metallica.

Well let's take a look.

quote:

Jethro Tull (1674 – 21 February 1741, New Style) was an English agricultural pioneer from Berkshire who helped bring about the British Agricultural Revolution. He perfected a horse-drawn seed drill in 1701 that economically sowed the seeds in neat rows. He later developed a horse-drawn hoe. Tull's methods were adopted by many great land owners and helped to provide the basis for modern agriculture. This revolutionized the future of agricultural success.
Sounds like a progressive to me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Let's not forget Yes, the proggiest progs of all with 18-minute songs about how war sucks and we should all join hands in mutual brotherhood.

Also this was my joke. :argh:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Even Rush has given up on libertarianism. I think we can safely say that prog is, in fact, the music of progressive values.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I once heard a rumor that John Petrucci donates to neoconservative think tanks, I hope it's not true.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

neonnoodle posted:

Even Rush has given up on libertarianism. I think we can safely say that prog is, in fact, the music of progressive values.

Years ago I read an interview where Geddy Lee described the band's politics as "libertarian with a heart", so they weren't eligible anyways.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rush softened over time, they started full-on Objectivist, then milquetoast sorta-libertarianism, and now they're just liberal.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Some of you might remember an old video game named Alpha Centauri. During the first half of the 2000s nerds would relentlessly quote it due to it being about post apocalypstic sci-fi nation building on a planet with transhumanist endings and shithead leaders who did bad things with good results in the name of logic and reason. People were quoting these characters like someone might do actual historical or famous fictional characters.

Also barely (un)concealed admiration for the despot guy who's entire society is based on tyranny and pain.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
They are really good quotes though.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Eh. For the most part ruined by association by aforementioned dorks.

Ronwayne has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Sep 24, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ronwayne posted:

Also barely (un)concealed admiration for the despot guy who's entire society is based on tyranny and pain.
That could be like half of them! Which one are you talking about?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You could play "Alpha Centauri or [X]?" with basically every quote from that game, where [X] is libertarian/neoreactionary/religious fundamentalist/whatever other lunatic internet cultist you want.

quote:

What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.
Alpha Centauri or Yud? :v:

Pierson has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Sep 24, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The scottish eco lady was the best one but I think all of them except the democracy guy were tyrants.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Pierson posted:

You could play "Alpha Centauri or [X]?" with basically every quote from that game, where [X] is libertarian/neoreactionary/religious fundamentalist/whatever other lunatic internet cultist you want.

Alpha Centauri or Yud? :v:

Zakharov got way more done than Yud. :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah where every other faction was "THIS IS THE FINAL TERRIBLE FORM OF THAT PHILOSOPHY YOU'RE CURRENTLY LAUGHING AT" the U.N. one was kind of bloodless and pure. They would have probably fit in better if there had been a few more aspects of it closer to reality, but I guess it would have hard to translate some of the criticisms of the real UN into a videogame where they're a single unified faction.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
To a neoreactionary the lyrics to "Lucky Man" sound sincere.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ronwayne posted:

Some of you might remember an old video game named Alpha Centauri. During the first half of the 2000s nerds would relentlessly quote it due to it being about post apocalypstic sci-fi nation building on a planet with transhumanist endings and shithead leaders who did bad things with good results in the name of logic and reason. People were quoting these characters like someone might do actual historical or famous fictional characters.

A handsome young skeptic Ace, wooed women at every wine place, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Time Dissolver posted:

To a neoreactionary the lyrics to "Lucky Man" sound sincere.
The ELP song?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I bet that Yud likes the Data Angels, who were the 90s hacker collective and also a bunch of idiots

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
the best part about the recent south park jenner episode is seeing idiot GGers delude themselves into thinking matt and trey are on their side

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Anyone else remember when libertarians thought South Park was going to destroy political correctness on college campuses (because the current crop of high schoolers grew up watching it) but nothing happened because it's just a loving comedy cartoon?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn, AC even had seasteaders, didn't it? With the weirdo norwegian pirate guy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://thefutureprimaeval.net/the-tragedy-of-light/

Everything, everyday, everything; anime.
Lookin' at a nigga fleshed up like anime,
Lookin' like death note, chop it till your down throat,
-Anime by Soulja Boy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

http://thefutureprimaeval.net/the-tragedy-of-light/

Everything, everyday, everything; anime.
Lookin' at a nigga fleshed up like anime,
Lookin' like death note, chop it till your down throat,
-Anime by Soulja Boy

"Suppose our king was greedy! He'd obviously take long-term policies to rationally maximize long-term gain."

That's not how greed works. Even assuming stupid poo poo like the Laffer Curve would work out. I think this person talking about how absolute monarchy and ultimate power actually make for good governance may have rather ill considered opinions! :downs:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I like that left-wing people saying that fascism should not be respected is considered scary and threatening by LW, but open supervillain plans are just active intellectual questioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

"Suppose our king was greedy! He'd obviously take long-term policies to rationally maximize long-term gain."

That's not how greed works. Even assuming stupid poo poo like the Laffer Curve would work out. I think this person talking about how absolute monarchy and ultimate power actually make for good governance may have rather ill considered opinions! :downs:

Even speaking rationally, it's important to remember that people live for a finite space of time and national policy takes a while to have a visible effect (although I can see how techno-utopians might have difficulties with that bit). That's what means a quick, country-wrecking smash-and-grab that'll let you live out the rest of your life in luxury is a sensible decision if you're a sufficiently empathy-devoid hedonist. Maximum pleasure, minimum amount of work.