Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool

I've been through that place. No reason in particular but friend offered a tour and I wasn't going to pass it up.

My phone takes lovely pictures and there isn't really anything cool to see but here's the systems I'm babysitting this week...

Edison XC30 - 332 terabytes memory, 2.39 petaflop/second peak performance, 124,608 processing cores, 462 terabytes/second global memory bandwidth, 11 terabytes/second network bisection bandwidth, 7.56 petabytes disk storage, 163 gigabytes/second I/O bandwidth

Hopper XE6 - 1.28 Petaflops/sec, 153,216 compute cores, 217 Terabytes of memory, and 2 Petabytes of online disk storage.

This is awesome. I want to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

As someone who's never seen a supercomputer before, this owns and makes me want to learn about them. Also those mural-cover-things are delightful!

Cray has been doing wierdo furniture/art computers for as long as they've been around. For example, the Cray-1 and XMP was built with a couch attached to the side of each half-tower, the Cray-2 had plexi sides and illumination so you could see the memory boards, the Cray-3 got a plexi, liquid-filled box on the top...the YMP8 got more couches. They had a few "boring" systems, especially during the SG era, but they're their own company again and getting back into the display stuff.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The numbers on super computers are amazing. They are all so huge that it's just really hard for your brain to 'get it'.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

The numbers on super computers are amazing. They are all so huge that it's just really hard for your brain to 'get it'.

Yup, I'm having trouble putting those numbers in a manner I can understand.

Also how much power do those fuckers suck down and what are they being used for?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

Cray has been doing wierdo furniture/art computers for as long as they've been around. For example, the Cray-1 and XMP was built with a couch attached to the side of each half-tower, the Cray-2 had plexi sides and illumination so you could see the memory boards, the Cray-3 got a plexi, liquid-filled box on the top...the YMP8 got more couches. They had a few "boring" systems, especially during the SG era, but they're their own company again and getting back into the display stuff.

The Connection Machines also had what I would say is a pretty kickass aesthetic sense.

Yeah bitch you get pulled on by an Arduino, don't step.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So what are those super computers used for? Mastering chess?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jesus, subaru bajas near me have been selling at around 8 grand for the base model with 150k miles on them. A turbo was going for nearly 11k. The only one currently on craigslist is a 2003 for 9.5k with 100k miles. Thats insane for a ~10 year old car that wasn't that popular to begin with. :dogbutton:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mariooncrack posted:

Anymore its as much for technical accomplishment as anything else, distributed computing has largely eclipsed individual supercomputing (and FWIW most new "supercomputers" are largely just a distributed computing setup with everything in the same datacenter.) I'm sure there's some things that need a shitload of raw processing power and can't be split up into smaller pieces of data to be processed by someone's home PC's spare CPU cycles or offloaded onto multiple purpose-built machines, but the need for a single god-tier supercomputer isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Simulations. Like 'Simulate every atom in a reactor' simulations, or simulating weather patterns where you want to create tens of hundreds of variables.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool

I've been through that place. No reason in particular but friend offered a tour and I wasn't going to pass it up.

My phone takes lovely pictures and there isn't really anything cool to see but here's the systems I'm babysitting this week...

Edison XC30 - 332 terabytes memory, 2.39 petaflop/second peak performance, 124,608 processing cores, 462 terabytes/second global memory bandwidth, 11 terabytes/second network bisection bandwidth, 7.56 petabytes disk storage, 163 gigabytes/second I/O bandwidth

Hopper XE6 - 1.28 Petaflops/sec, 153,216 compute cores, 217 Terabytes of memory, and 2 Petabytes of online disk storage.

This is awesome. I love the trend of decorating the rack doors on HPC clusters now.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 24, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool

Hnnngh :flashfap:

This is very cool. Love the look and the specs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MustardFacial posted:

This is awesome. I want to do this.
Cray's always hiring all over the place.

Adiabatic posted:

As someone who's never seen a supercomputer before, this owns and makes me want to learn about them. Also those mural-cover-things are delightful!

Sigma X posted:

Can't remember what system it was but one of the older ones was offered in Porsche colors using Porsche paint. All painted by a little Mom & Pop shop in Chippewa Falls, WI.

88h88 posted:

Yup, I'm having trouble putting those numbers in a manner I can understand.

Also how much power do those fuckers suck down and what are they being used for?

mariooncrack posted:

Titan is one of the systems I usually work on, 200 cabinets of XK7 and uses about 9 megawatts when running.

Geoj posted:

Anymore its as much for technical accomplishment as anything else, distributed computing has largely eclipsed individual supercomputing (and FWIW most new "supercomputers" are largely just a distributed computing setup with everything in the same datacenter.) I'm sure there's some things that need a shitload of raw processing power and can't be split up into smaller pieces of data to be processed by someone's home PC's spare CPU cycles or offloaded onto multiple purpose-built machines, but the need for a single god-tier supercomputer isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago.
We have some large jobs that will take thousands of cores (5k+) but for the most part jobs will grab a chunk of cores (50-500) and run. As far as what they're used for it depends on the system and who owns/runs it. Titan is DOE so a lot of energy and combustion related stuff but anyone can pay for time and submit jobs. Those little skirts that are under semis...those were tested on Titan. Our system owned by NOAA is used for climate simulation almost exclusively.

CommieGIR posted:

Simulations. Like 'Simulate every atom in a reactor' simulations, or simulating weather patterns where you want to create tens of hundreds of variables.
This. Instead of simulating things half-assed they simulate every atom or spec of dust or whatever else. One of the systems I worked in Germany last year was used to simulate how the placement of a building downtown contributed to dust from something ending up where it shouldn't.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That is cool as gently caress.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Titan is one of the systems I usually work on, 200 cabinets of XK7 and uses about 9 megawatts when running.

:stare:

That's six of these running at max output.

Note: the footprint of the rotor on one of these is almost a football field.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 24, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

This. Instead of simulating things half-assed they simulate every atom or spec of dust or whatever else. One of the systems I worked in Germany last year was used to simulate how the placement of a building downtown contributed to dust from something ending up where it shouldn't.

Yeah, I helped do HPC babysitting and data access improvement cycles. I miss doing HPC stuff.

Titan gets used a lot for....explosions of the nuclear type, or at least it did till it got moved onto the new cluster they are building.

Its awesome to see what they simulate up at Oak Ridge.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

A class I was in did a tour of ORNL a while back and we got to see Titan just after it had been installed. Very cool poo poo. Do they use still use those fuckoff huge flywheels as part of the backup power supply?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

NitroSpazzz posted:

...Can't remember what system it was but one of the older ones was offered in Porsche colors using Porsche paint. All painted by a little Mom & Pop shop in Chippewa Falls, W...

I worked as a contractor to SGI for a while, helped develop the software environment of and then on-site support'd some equipment they sold. Lot of folks nowadays don't even know who they are, but both Cray and SGI are still up to some really interesting things. In my opinion, it's really difficult to split development of HPC systems between "completely custom" like back in the 70s/80s and "modularized generic" like the Beowulf cluster caused the advent of.Anyone who's spending several million bucks on a system generally wants SOME customization, and when you (as a supercomputer company) start saying "no", they get upset. Conversely, the more customization, the less economies of scale you get.

mariooncrack posted:

I know I'm the third of fourth person to answer, but the "simulations" answer is correct although generic. Computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, genome sequencing, multibody dynamics, data analytics and visualization, even real-time streaming. The USPS uses a HPC system to solve the traveling salesman problem for their deliveries worldwide. Modeling the airflow of an entire vehicle, for example finding out how to design a human-powered helicopter. Models of entire weather systems, hurricanes. Finding vibrational modes of entire rocket assemblies, with each bolt and nut modeled as a separate object with separate density. the NFL uses a HPC system for those bet-you-didn't-know-it-was-so-complicated NRT video overlays. You know, complex things.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 24, 2015

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: Whoops. Did not mean to post twice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

I worked as a contractor to SGI for a while, helped develop the software environment of and then on-site support'd some equipment they sold. Lot of folks nowadays don't even know who they are, but both Cray and SGI are still up to some really interesting things. In my opinion, it's really difficult to split development of HPC systems between "completely custom" like back in the 70s/80s and "modularized generic" like the Beowulf cluster caused the advent of.Anyone who's spending several million bucks on a system generally wants SOME customization, and when you (as a supercomputer company) start saying "no", they get upset. Conversely, the more customization, the less economies of scale you get.

I have an SGI Onyx 2 Workstation :pcgaming:

Sigma X posted:

I know I'm the third of fourth person to answer, but the "simulations" answer is correct although generic. Computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, genome sequencing, multibody dynamics, data analytics and visualization, even real-time streaming. The USPS uses a HPC system to solve the traveling salesman problem for their deliveries worldwide. Modeling the airflow of an entire vehicle, for example finding out how to design a human-powered helicopter. Models of entire weather systems, hurricanes. Finding vibrational modes of entire rocket assemblies, with each bolt and nut modeled as a separate object with separate density. You know, complex things.

The current system I'm working on does modelling, simulation, and management for an international hotel chain's pricing and reservation system.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

NitroSpazzz posted:

Cray's always hiring all over the place.

I have no idea what I would do for them.

In other news:

Obligatory victory shot

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

1500quidporsche posted:

Hey man. Totally never had a problem with it other than the fact that it idles at 2k rpm right now.

Launch control.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah, those are a heck of a lot prettier than the walls of fiber optic runs that are the fronts of the racks I'm cursed with.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Great Beer posted:

A class I was in did a tour of ORNL a while back and we got to see Titan just after it had been installed. Very cool poo poo. Do they use still use those fuckoff huge flywheels as part of the backup power supply?
They stopped trying to do backup power for our stuff a long time ago, just too much drat power. Some of the file system type stuff is dual feed power, they may use flywheels but I'm not sure.

Sigma X posted:

There's still some custom projects for special customers but it's mostly a case of how big can you afford to go. There's some things that can still be tweaked depending on the specific needs of the customer but more and more it's becoming that everyone gets the same basic system then we adjust cpu/memory/gpu as needed for their application. The XT/XE/XK line are all the same cabinet more or less with different compute blades and interconnects. Same with the various XC systems we're shipping now.

Then there's the new Cray Cluster Solutions stuff, there's way more customization with those. Various rack sizes, blade sizes and compute densities as well as cpu/gpu combos depending on what they plan to do. Everything from blades that are mostly memory to blades that are packed full of GPUs.

MustardFacial posted:

Obligatory victory shot

Needs more lube

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, those are a heck of a lot prettier than the walls of fiber optic runs that are the fronts of the racks I'm cursed with.
We hide that poo poo in the back or in disk racks off to the side that are never photographed or shown to tours.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

:awesome:

My company's datacenter consumes about half that for somewhere around 4-5x as many cabinets. I wish more of our customers would even entertain density like that.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I hate Boston but this is the best thing to come out of it:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopoulos/this-man-yelling-at-a-fish-is-a-massachusetts-hero#.fkAlGzlXE

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Launch control.

It actually gets off the line on gravel ridiculously well if you just revved it a couple hundred more than that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

NitroSpazzz posted:

You know that scene in boondock saints when he demonstrates the versatility of the word "gently caress"?
Yeah. That.

Adiabatic posted:

Which mostly just goes to show you how laughable wind power is.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 24, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's the most hilarious thing I've seen/heard in weeks.

I lost it when he said they were calling the Coast Guard.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Elmnt80 posted:

Jesus, subaru bajas near me have been selling at around 8 grand for the base model with 150k miles on them. A turbo was going for nearly 11k. The only one currently on craigslist is a 2003 for 9.5k with 100k miles. Thats insane for a ~10 year old car that wasn't that popular to begin with. :dogbutton:

I wish Subaru would bring the Baja back. They never will, but I love mine and I don't know what I'd replace it with if I had to.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

I wish Subaru would bring the Baja back. They never will, but I love mine and I don't know what I'd replace it with if I had to.

as the XV bajatrek with a lift kit and 148hp.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ilkhan posted:

Which mostly just goes to show you how laughable wind power is.

Or how awesome it is. Seriously, wind power is pretty legit. Its never going to be full-grid (well, maybe), but its fantastic for what it is.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Powershift posted:

as the XV bajatrek with a lift kit and 148hp.

I'd be okay with that.
:swoon:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

...That's six of these running at max output...

A particular government three-letter is the largest consumer of power in Maryland*. In 2007, it used 65-75 megawatt-hours and was expected to increase by 10-15 megawatt-hours in the next year, according to BGE (now Constellation Energy)*. HPC is a really big energy sink, both for the systems, and for the cooling facilities to deal with all the heat.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

I passed a semi hauling a blade for one of these things. It was the single largest object on a trailer I've ever seen. After seeing it that closely, I'm just in awe of those things now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I passed a semi hauling a blade for one of these things. It was the single largest object on a trailer I've ever seen. After seeing it that closely, I'm just in awe of those things now.

Yea Ive seen that and they are way huger than I thought.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Siochain posted:

Or how awesome it is. Seriously, wind power is pretty legit. Its never going to be full-grid (well, maybe), but its fantastic for what it is.

Its legit, but its footprint is hilariously huge. It'll never go full grid outside of the plains states.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Its legit, but its footprint is hilariously huge. It'll never go full grid outside of the plains states.

You mean to tell me you need big rear end open fields and stuff to put wind turbines in?!

We almost got it in the northeast, offshore, but a bunch of loving hypocritical politicians went full NIMBY because they didn't want to look at wind turbines from their posh multimillion dollar retreats on MAHHHHTHAS VINYAAAAAAHD.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

My company's datacenter consumes about half that for somewhere around 4-5x as many cabinets. I wish more of our customers would even entertain density like that.
What's scary is compared to the new stuff that power density is nothing. Pushing better than double Titan numbers now :aaaaa:

Sigma X posted:

A particular government three-letter is the largest consumer of power in Maryland*. In 2007, it used 65-75 megawatt-hours and was expected to increase by 10-15 megawatt-hours in the next year, according to BGE (now Constellation Energy)*. HPC is a really big energy sink, both for the systems, and for the cooling facilities to deal with all the heat.
Oh the cooling requirements are stupid for HPC stuff, it's just mindblowing how much waste heat they dump even though they're 'room neutral'. That 9 megawatts is only going to power the compute cabinets. That doesn't include our heat exchange pumps, any of the storage or the customers air handlers and massive chillers.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

First time I saw one of those I just kind of sat and stared. I have a picture somewhere from last summer parked next to one in a truck stop, absolutely massive. Someone in AI or CA works on turbines if I remember right.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

ahem

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

kastein posted:

You mean to tell me you need big rear end open fields and stuff to put wind turbines in?!

We almost got it in the northeast, offshore, but a bunch of loving hypocritical politicians went full NIMBY because they didn't want to look at wind turbines from their posh multimillion dollar retreats on MAHHHHTHAS VINYAAAAAAHD.

Serious question, what about tidal hydroelectric? I fully admit i'm not at all well versed in the details and intricacies of it, but how feasible would it be to build some offshore turbines driven by waves / tidal energy for the express purpose of generating power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

kastein posted:

I don't understand that sentiment one bit; I personally think wind turbines look cool as heck and are very relaxing to look at as they turn.

• Locked thread