Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Aurain posted:

Sins of the Father should have been during Shining Lights, Even in Death.

Nah, I wouldn't change anything about this mission. Like it wasn't even remotely subtle about anything but I thought it was handled really well. I liked that you get the goggles and you think "yeah man, gonna find out who's infected and who's not!!" and then reality sets in and you realize they're all hosed. :smith:

I think the moment might have been ruined a bit with WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah there's that scene where snake gets the electrotorture and hayter goes wild with aaggahhhgahhagbhavbhabgsghhhhsghhbabbbsn and it's really funny

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

oddium posted:

i think peace walker's get in/get out closed levels mission structure works a looooot better than mgsv's boring open world

For me the open world was a lot better than the linear stages of the other games. Being able to go "well that didn't work what if I try getting into this outpost from a completely different angle" was one of the biggest hooks in the game for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There should have been a WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA every time you put down one of your men.

And then:
"I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I will always be with you, plant your roots in me. I won't let you end as ashes. To me, you are all diamonds...We are Diamond Dogs."
"We're not burying them at sea? What then?"
WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Aurain posted:

Buff Skinnyman?!

Fatboy Slim.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oddium posted:

oh yeah there's that scene where snake gets the electrotorture and hayter goes wild with aaggahhhgahhagbhavbhabgsghhhhsghhbabbbsn and it's really funny

I think Raiden is the winner of the man being electrocuted/tickled in a metal gear solid game sound effect competition.

When you're on the electric floor before Prez, specifically.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

OatmealRaisin posted:

For me the open world was a lot better than the linear stages of the other games. Being able to go "well that didn't work what if I try getting into this outpost from a completely different angle" was one of the biggest hooks in the game for me.

I agree that being able to approach a stage from multiple different angles made the gameplay much better but in terms of stage design I found that Camp Omega from Ground Zeroes easily beats anything in The Phantom Pain. The open world system itself didn't necessarily add to anything because the stages themselves were the important part, not the travelling in between part. Camp Omega was able to support multiple different incursion points just by plunking you down at different parts of the map. If, in TPP, we had 10 or so Camp Omega scale maps with just a little bit of wilderness surrounding them that you could spawn into, I think that would have been a been a more effective use of resources than trying to create an open world that ends up being pretty empty and eventually becomes a chore to travel through. I like the little outposts that you can come across between major areas as a nice distraction but the world itself is so dead and uninteresting that I don't have much desire to run around the map when I can just abort to the ACC and get dropped off in a major area.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
prenatual has begun the process of breaking the game's systems over his knee. No traces Backup, Back down with all vehicles, including the helicopter.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't hate the open world, but after Camp Omega being a pretty well designed area, most areas in TPP feel like a step down. Considering that every previous MGS game was a collection of functionally isolated areas, it's hard not to feel that the open world is a step down in the franchise.

Especially because the less generic locations have restricted entry anyways. The airport, oil fields, OKB Zero, Code Talker Mansion, etc. are all great locations, but basically don't benefit from being in an open world because entry to them is controlled by design.

There's a lot of neat thing about the open world, like the transport trucks and reinforcements coming from other real locations, but I can't help but feel that the amount of time it took to develop the open world could have been better spent polishing individual levels.

On the other hand, the open world let them make hundreds of side-ops and optional objectives without having to create areas dedicated specifically to them, so...?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you mean 10 side ops 15 times each

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

you mean 10 side ops 15 times each

Uh, it's clearly 15 side ops 10 times each... get it right.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
And the only replayable ones are the most boring ones that you already did like 20 times anyway. Let me do the Lost Dog missions or the Recover Wandering Mother Base staff ones, and definitely let me do all the yellow ones, they're supposed to be the most important! I can never see the conclusion of the Man on Fire quest ever again because that mission was arbitrarily made a Side-Op rather than a full mission, even though it is set in the content-starved Chapter 2 portion of the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In It For The Tank posted:

And the only replayable ones are the most boring ones that you already did like 20 times anyway. Let me do the Lost Dog missions or the Recover Wandering Mother Base staff ones, and definitely let me do all the yellow ones, they're supposed to be the most important! I can never see the conclusion of the Man on Fire quest ever again because that mission was arbitrarily made a Side-Op rather than a full mission, even though it is set in the content-starved Chapter 2 portion of the game.

yeah there are some bizarre choices in what is replayable in this incredibly freeform game.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Snak posted:

Uh, it's clearly 15 side ops 10 times each... get it right.

Actually it's 10 variations of 15 side ops, and by the end you'll have played many of those individual variations dozens of times while you wait for research to complete.

edit: oh, I thought we were talking about Peace Walker. Strike "research to complete" and replace with "platforms to finish."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

Actually it's 10 variations of 15 side ops, and by the end you'll have played many of those individual variations dozens of times while you wait for research to complete.
Sorry, that's what I meant.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Snak posted:

yeah there are some bizarre choices in what is replayable in this incredibly freeform game.

phantom pain's biggest flaw is I can't replay the Eli smackdown on Mother Base

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

phantom pain's biggest flaw is I can't replay the Eli smackdown on Mother Base

Replay the Eli smackdown on the pirate ship then.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Replay the Eli smackdown on the pirate ship then.

that's not the same and you know it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fight in mission 23 is better, anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was so mad last night. I ghosted the White Mamba missions and had a perfect rocket-punch to Eli's smug face. Hit the share button and "There is not enough hard drive space to record your gameplay".

My share apps are all hosed up and I haven't been able to trim any of my videos. It's a real pain.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait, am i right in thinking that the game is clearly suggesting that the reason big boss's bandana aka the boss's bandana went from green to blue (so that solid snake would get it at some point) was because it sat the bottom of a lake for 10 years?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's the same colour as ever in MGS V though right?

Or have I gone colour blind or some poo poo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait, am i right in thinking that the game is clearly suggesting that the reason big boss's bandana aka the boss's bandana went from green to blue (so that solid snake would get it at some point) was because it sat the bottom of a lake for 10 years?

Has there ever been anything to suggest that Solid Snake's Bandana was The Boss's? I dont remember anything in game suggesting that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's just that all of Snake Eater is tinted green. The whole game. Green as gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Meryl gives Snake his bandana in MGS1, it's not Big Boss'.

edit: Although that happens at the end of the same game in which he wears a bandana for its entirety so :shrug: I don't think there's anything that says it's handed down from Big Boss though.

edit again: He isn't wearing it in MG1 and he is wearing it in MG2 with no explanation as to where it came from, so he may very well have gotten it from Venom and it is the same bandana. But that'd be real dumb if that were true for some reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 24, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Solid Snake's just wearing a bandana that doesn't really have any connection to The Boss/Big Boss's. He gets one from Meryl, but aside from that, it's just a piece of cloth that he likes wearing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Important update: The manual for Metal Gear 2 says that the bandana is FOXHOUND standard issue. The mystery has been solved.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

Pacifica Ocean.

names in Metal Gear Solid never stop being awesome.

Floating Child. Man on Fire. Skull Face.

I love how...direct these naming conventions are.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If only we'd learned Skull Face's true name, which would just be Hungarian for "Skull Face."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shoot Gunner

Remember that time that Zero was like "I named myself after the escape tunnel from great escape, but I hosed it up. Then, because it's the 1960s, I had a film reel brought to me for a personal viewing because I'm a huge sperge"

edit: ^ google tells me this would be "koponya arc"

Koponyarc is suitably cool sounding name for an MGS character.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Does anyone else find it weird that there coincidentally happen to be characters named David and George when Solid and Solidus are also David and George? With Solid I guess you could argue Zero wanted one of the clones named after himself, but George was the name the white man forced Code Talker to use but Code Talker had nothing to do with LET. So it's clearly just meant to be a coincidence, and they are common names, but that's a weird thing to do in a narrative.

Then again, there are potentially four Johns in the Metal Gear narrative (Big Boss, Johnny Sasaski, Raiden if Jack is a nickname, and Raiden's son). Kojima loads everyone up with ridiculous codenames and then the most exotic real name a character has is "Hal" or "Meryl" or "Sunny."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is only one MGS story, and it can be told in any time with any technology. It is happening all the time, in every time. Time is not sequential, but concurrent. VALIS is beaming the story of MGS into Kojima's head, and that's why he's telling it over and over. It varies, but it's always the same.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
you're forgetting the most important George of them all:

Jack leads to George, George leads to Jack, Jack leads to George, etc.

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 24, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

you're forgetting the most important George of them all:

Who is that?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CJacobs posted:

Important update: The manual for Metal Gear 2 says that the bandana is FOXHOUND standard issue. The mystery has been solved.

I don't buy that, because Ocelot, Sniper Wolf, Liquid, Vulcan Raven, and Psycho Mantis aren't wearing bandannas in MGS1.

And it would've been a dead giveaway for Decoy Octopus.

quote:

Does anyone else find it weird that there coincidentally happen to be characters named David and George when Solid and Solidus are also David and George? With Solid I guess you could argue Zero wanted one of the clones named after himself, but George was the name the white man forced Code Talker to use but Code Talker had nothing to do with LET. So it's clearly just meant to be a coincidence, and they are common names, but that's a weird thing to do in a narrative.

edit: misread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 24, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Snak posted:

Who is that?

Play Revengeance you tool!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nail Rat posted:

I don't buy that, because Ocelot, Sniper Wolf, Liquid, Vulcan Raven, and Psycho Mantis aren't wearing bandannas in MGS1.

Standard issue doesn't mean you have to wear it, it just means it's the standard that it is issued to you! It's not Big Boss' bandana, dagnabbit! :argh:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Who is that?

George from Metal Gear Rising, he's the kid Raiden finds in the sewers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

It was probably first generation Foxhound standard issue. Like Big Boss made it standard issue. Obviously when Liquid took over FOXHOUND, he's not the one who issue a bandanna to Snake/Meryl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Rising also features villains named "Sam" and "Steven."

• Locked thread