Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

I thought Asetek was their OEM for that though?! What the gently caress was this all about then: http://www.asetek.com/press-room/news/2014/asetek-announces-largest-ever-design-win/

Did they maybe mean they were only the OEM for the 295x2, or the 980ti hybrid cooler?

AMD should have known better, Asetek has trolled Swiftech pretty hard on that patent already.

They were the oem for the 295x2. The Fury x has a coolermaster aio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
That sucks but what are we talking probably like $15 here for AMD? Non trivial, but I think thats more crazy for the AIO market itself.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Today I learned that since nVidia doesn't let partners build custom Titan X cards with upgraded VRMs, they produced external VRM cards that you are supposed to solder to your Titan X, replacing the included VRMs, using copper sheet metal to handle the current. Jesus Christ look at this poo poo:

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 23, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Alereon posted:

Today I learned that since nVidia doesn't let partners build custom Titan X cards with upgraded VRMs, they produced external VRM cards that you are supposed to solder to your Titan X, replacing the included VRMs, using copper sheet metal to handle the current. Jesus Christ look at this poo poo:

Those have been used for a while now. 3 or 4 years

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Alereon posted:

Dont touch the copper bits :3

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FaustianQ posted:

Volta in 2018 when [hopefully] HMC matures. 2018 is a bit of a gap from 2016 so I'm wondering if that means a minor refresh of Pascal?

quote:

While admittedly HMC has shown much slower progress compared to HBM which is already being used in AMD’s latest GPU code named Fiji, HMC still offers some substantial benefits for the server and HPC market. And that’s where Volta is set to shine.

I love how the article so clearly lists what these "substantial benefits" are!

Fantastic journalism right there, folks. Top notch!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's WCCFT, what the hell did you expect? This is why I always do disclaimers every time I link something of theirs.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's WCCFT, what the hell did you expect?

Not much, really. I mostly just found that funny because it's the same statement that Micron makes, with just as many reasons.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
My favorite part of WCCF Tech is their early 2000s as gently caress logo.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

FaustianQ posted:

Pascal pretty close production apparently. Interesting to note is the claim that Pascal will be compute heavy, likely just GP100 but I wonder how Nvidia is going to disable it on consumer products?

So should I hold onto my 660Ti until Pascal drops? I don't want to get a 970 but then later on find out its gimped for DX12 games.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

spasticColon posted:

So should I hold onto my 660Ti until Pascal drops? I don't want to get a 970 but then later on find out its gimped for DX12 games.
If you can wait for Pascal, definitely do. I think it will be one of the larger inter-generational performance gains in recent years, because it's the first die shrink in some time. I think this is really the best advice for anyone who likes cost-effective upgrades.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Alereon posted:

If you can wait for Pascal, definitely do. I think it will be one of the larger inter-generational performance gains in recent years, because it's the first die shrink in some time. I think this is really the best advice for anyone who likes cost-effective upgrades.

we are going from 28nm to what 16 or 14?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

wargames posted:

we are going from 28nm to what 16 or 14?

16 I think but the difference is mostly marketing.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Space Racist posted:

My favorite part of WCCF Tech is their early 2000s as gently caress logo.

Hey now, that thing is seriously CYBER, and therefore futuristic. Christ, there's even an antenna on the headphones, these guys mean business.

And look, the images have like Asian letters in them, so obviously this poo poo is direct from the Chinese factories. Or something.

This is my new go-to site for all things tech...700+ commenters can't be wrong!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

xiansi posted:

Hey now, that thing is seriously CYBER, and therefore futuristic. Christ, there's even an antenna on the headphones, these guys mean business.

And look, the images have like Asian letters in them, so obviously this poo poo is direct from the Chinese factories. Or something.

This is my new go-to site for all things tech...700+ commenters can't be wrong!

In their defense, they do usually get things right. Granted they tend to usually publish literally every single possibility for unknown things, but at least some small fraction is right!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

spasticColon posted:

If you aren't hurting its not a bad idea to wait. However, this is still probably 6 months out which is kind of a while imo.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if Nvidia has any plan/interest/pact with Satan to make a 690 successor. An HBM2, compact dual-gpu card sound nice.

No, I'm not counting that 3 grand titan-whatever

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Fable Legends has a Direct X 12 benchmark out and The Tech Report did a batch of testing.

quote:

But, you know, it's just one benchmark based on an unreleased game, so it's nothing to get too worked up about one way or another.

http://techreport.com/review/29090/fable-legends-directx-12-performance-revealed

980Ti is still king of the mountain

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ 390, though. I assume it's also roughly the same for 290? lmaoooo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Disparity isn't THAT big, but it does show the usual substantial Hawaii performance improvements in DX12.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I apologize, XFX, please receive, fix, and return my 290.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
So thats with async compute still not "enabled" ? I wonder if that's just bs from nvidia and it cant be enabled. In any case, at least the 980ti didnt poo poo its pants, which is good because thats what I own lol.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Disparity isn't THAT big, but it does show the usual substantial Hawaii performance improvements in DX12.

The fury x to 980ti is a pretty big difference @4k

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My suspicion on the async stuff is that some core piece of NVIDIA's driver isn't set up to handle things happening asynchronously in that manner, so they're scrambling to do a bunch of heavy lifting there and get perf in a good spot before turning it on.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
drat, that really shows just how good of a card the 290/X is.

It's funny to think that a card released in 2013 will still be a good recommendation into 2016.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine scored an almost brand new 290 (less than a week in use) just 2 weeks ago for 240e. :laugh:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Krailor posted:

It's funny to think that a card released in 2013 will still be a good recommendation into 2016.

"In power consumption tests, our GPU test rig pulled 449W at the wall socket when equipped with an R9 390X, versus 282W with a GTX 980."
It's doing so well because they overjuiced an old architecture that's comfortable at ~850 MHz to 1070.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Krailor posted:

The utter lack of die shrinks is a hell of a thing.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Praising the card for its longevity in the GPU market is a pretty glass-half-full to me... I'd rather there be two generations of improvements since then. I think it sucks. Imagine even with incremental releases they'd easily be ahead of the nvidia offerings.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
It's not totally AMD's fault. They obviously had 20nm designs at least partially ready since they paid the penalty to migrate the designs to FinFET.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

The fury x to 980ti is a pretty big difference @4k
I meant what's usually the relative performance between DX11 and DX12 in general (Hawaii Pro trailing behind 970 usually). The Fury is a poop chute no matter which way you slice it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

sauer kraut posted:

"In power consumption tests, our GPU test rig pulled 449W at the wall socket when equipped with an R9 390X, versus 282W with a GTX 980."
It's doing so well because they overjuiced an old architecture that's comfortable at ~850 MHz to 1070.
1070 isn't a whole lot. Unless the chip was really leaky to begin with it shouldnt need that much voltage. My 290 hits that without touching the stock voltage at all. Does the added faster 390/x vram really add that much to power consumption?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I got a GTX 970 a couple months ago, and I hadn't had any trouble from it except this morning when I woke it up from sleep mode it had white screens with randomly spaced red and blue (I think) pixels, and they'd flash to black and back to the speckled white repeatedly. I've never had a failure like that and restarting the PC immediately fixed it. Does that sound like something I should be concerned about? (i5, windows 10)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Unless your warranty is up in a month i wouldn't be.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks. With new hardware I'm always worried I got a lemon, but with GPUs the expectation of them never loving up is probably unrealistic.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Germstore posted:

Thanks. With new hardware I'm always worried I got a lemon, but with GPUs the expectation of them never loving up is probably unrealistic.

It's probably just something in the driver, tbh. If there was anything even slightly wrong with the hardware, you'd probably know by now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Anyone familiar with XFX warranty crap? I can't get any info out of them on my RMA. USPS says the card was delivered on the 16th. Haven't had any updates on my RMA on the XFX site yet, it still says inbound. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Germstore posted:

I got a GTX 970 a couple months ago, and I hadn't had any trouble from it except this morning when I woke it up from sleep mode it had white screens with randomly spaced red and blue (I think) pixels, and they'd flash to black and back to the speckled white repeatedly. I've never had a failure like that and restarting the PC immediately fixed it. Does that sound like something I should be concerned about? (i5, windows 10)

Uh this happened to me a couple of days ago. I've had my 970 since launch and never had any problems before I'd guess it's a current driver issue. I've been gaming for a few hours today without any problems.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kazinsal posted:

Anyone familiar with XFX warranty crap? I can't get any info out of them on my RMA. USPS says the card was delivered on the 16th. Haven't had any updates on my RMA on the XFX site yet, it still says inbound. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I hate to bear bad news, but 8 days for a warranty turnaround isn't uncommon at places with even a great RMA reputation... which XFX doesn't necessarily have. I wouldn't worry that it's not going to happen or anything at "just" 8 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Germstore posted:

Flashing weird corruption on your monitor can typically be caused by VRAM being dodgy, but if there is a VRAM testing tool equivalent to the ole memtest86 I don't know what it is.