Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Grump posted:

I just got a barbacking job on campus. I work Monday and Tuesday nights. Monday nights is dead, but Tuesdays has a $1 Bud Light, so last night (my second day of work) it was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with kids. The bartenders did quite well, but at the end of the night they didn't tip me out. I calmly asked if I was getting tipped out, and the bartender blew me off as if I was a piece of poo poo

How do I get this 22-yo girl to tip me out at the end of the night? I know this is a college bar, but gently caress. They made good money last night and I saw none of it, despite working my rear end off.

e; The bartender that works Monday's even tipped me $10 for barely any work.

Okay. Definitely a problem with only one bartender. I picked up a Saturday night shift and at the end of the night the bartender told me that I killed it and made her job a lot easier. Opposed to the Tuesday night bartender, who said I was unproductive and "didn't do anything" and who told this to the manager when asked "why didn't you tip Grump?"

So, I'm pretty hosed here. I'm only working two days a week and one of those days gets me no tips while the other day is super dead. Meanwhile, I have a boss who thinks I'm a lazy worker. :argh:

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

nrr posted:

Time warp - 2oz shot, half 151, half absinthe

It'll definitely make them do a jump to the left, that's for sure.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

:gonk: Have... have you actually had this?

I don't remember

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Grump posted:

I picked up a Saturday night shift and at the end of the night the bartender told me that I killed it and made her job a lot easier

ask her to mention this to your manager

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Here to tell tell everyone that coke + like 4 dashes of angostura is really loving good. Also hot chocolate + 1/2 oz of absinthe is pro as gently caress.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nrr posted:

You are a terrible person.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Wachepti posted:

Here to tell tell everyone that coke + like 4 dashes of angostura is really loving good. Also hot chocolate + 1/2 oz of absinthe is pro as gently caress.

Angostura as a main ingredient is fantastic. I like a shitload of Ango with ginger beer. Several dashes of Peychaud's also does incredible things to a Shirley Temple, which was a delightful surprise when I was loving around with bitters and sodas a while back.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

For a very long time, Virgin Crantini has held the title for dumbest drink I ever remember coming out of my dispense printer, but last night a challenger arose and was the only one to walk out of the Thunderdome:

Daquiri
Baileys instead of Rum

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sounds like someone lost a bet.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

nrr posted:

For a very long time, Virgin Crantini has held the title for dumbest drink I ever remember coming out of my dispense printer, but last night a challenger arose and was the only one to walk out of the Thunderdome:

Daquiri
Baileys instead of Rum

Ooh that would not end well. I think mine might be
Gibson
*no onion

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Please tell me none of you were involved in this.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a46486/liquid-nitrogen-shot-bar-fine/

Some idiot loving bartender served a patron a shot of liquid nitrogen. Who are the Brits here?

Edit: Not straight liquid nitro, of course, but still, holy poo poo. How does that even occur?

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 20, 2015

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Isn't this the second time that's happened in England? I remember hearing something similar a few years back and figured that they'd banned it. Welp.

e: Yup: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9594487/Liquid-nitrogen-cauldron-cocktail-drinks-industry-blamed-for-girls-injury.html

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Think that's the same one, actually - the name is the same.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
You might be thinking of this, as it involves Jager and liquid nitrogen: http://www.businessinsider.com/jgermeister-pool-party-in-mexico-turns-poisonous-2013-6

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

in which the problem of dumb people liking Jager takes care of itself

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 21, 2015

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

JawKnee posted:

in which the problem of dumb people liking Jagr takes care of itself

Jaromir is great, what are you talking about

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Jaromir is great, what are you talking about

Great with the 18 yo crowd

hockey Freudian slip

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Please tell me none of you were involved in this.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/news/a46486/liquid-nitrogen-shot-bar-fine/

Some idiot loving bartender served a patron a shot of liquid nitrogen. Who are the Brits here?

Edit: Not straight liquid nitro, of course, but still, holy poo poo. How does that even occur?

I'm a Brit. Nothing to do with me!

Admittedly I'm in Southampton which is hardly hip and trendy bar hub (apart from some weird "bring your own booze" mixology place).

There are hardly any bars I've ever been in anywhere that I'd trust enough to serve me liquid nitrogen in any shape or form. I mean, there are enough places I've been to that I wouldn't trust the ice machine to be clean enough not to kill me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Having worked with LN, I knew it was a matter of time. God dammit.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It always sounded cool, but ultimately unnecessary. I read half of liquid intelligence and loved geeking out with it but then the second half was all about liquid nitrogen and I couldn't relate anymore. The science got too sciencey. Plus it's just tragic what might happen, no matter how little the risk.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

RIP Nrr.

Last night, we got together, we drank tequila, and we mourned the life of "a gentle soul and a wild spirit" as a friend put it. If you, gentle reader of this thread, come across his stories, know that they all happened, and the photos prove it. We are a poorer bar tending community for having lost him.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Wait, what?!?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
For real? :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Yeah. If you need details you know how to get at me. Raise a glass, fuckers.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

That is loving terrible news. Condolences.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

holy poo poo

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
drat that's tragic. Though I didn't know him, I felt he was a bright spot in this thread. Fernet will be had in his honor tonight.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Guess I'm drinking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bloody ghost titty posted:

RIP Nrr.

Last night, we got together, we drank tequila, and we mourned the life of "a gentle soul and a wild spirit" as a friend put it. If you, gentle reader of this thread, come across his stories, know that they all happened, and the photos prove it. We are a poorer bar tending community for having lost him.
gently caress.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

RIP Nrr.

No way. gently caress.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

RIP Nrr.

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gently caress. Nrr was one of those guys whose posts I'd been reading for so long that I felt like I knew him.

nrr posted:

This will forever be my favorite bartending thread post.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
we're remembering nrr in the football forum in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743543 if anyone wants to come talk about how cool he was

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
also to the dude who knew him irl, i don't have PMs, but could you tell us his first name? i have known him for years but i don't think he ever said it and if he did i forgot :(

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

v2vian man posted:

also to the dude who knew him irl, i don't have PMs, but could you tell us his first name? i have known him for years but i don't think he ever said it and if he did i forgot :(

I didn't know him, but his name was Narayan.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well poo poo :(

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

God drat. I always meant to go visit in person and get some drinks from the guy and shoot the poo poo.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Absolutely sucks. My favorite story of his was how he got tipped a nugget of gold from a customer once.

Do have a question for the veterans.

Hotel bartending. I've been offered a position at a downtown fine dining setup. I'm contemplating it because I've been in the club scene for 5+ years now and I'd like a change of pace, there aren't a lot of options right now for bar gigs right now (bit of a recession going on locally) and its something different.

Opinions/thoughts on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Depends on what your patience spectrum is with regard to patrons. I can handle a thousand drunk college kids, but probably not a club scene. How do you feel about serving mostly businessmen (and they are 85% men) that you will either never see again or see depressingly often?

• Locked thread