Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a more generic authorization form for UPS to leave my package where they usually leave them than the one in the email link? As in one that looks less Apple-y/"THIS IS DEFINITELY AN IPHONE" for all my neighbors to see? I mean I'm 99% sure it'll be fine but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a more generic authorization form for UPS to leave my package where they usually leave them than the one in the email link? As in one that looks less Apple-y/"THIS IS DEFINITELY AN IPHONE" for all my neighbors to see? I mean I'm 99% sure it'll be fine but you never know.

If you're that paranoid, call UPS and they can redirect your package to a UPS store.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey guys, I think apple's servers might be under some stress.

Or maybe they're going to sell me 6 phones tomorrow. :iiam:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Hey guys, I think apple's servers might be under some stress.

Or maybe they're going to sell me 6 phones tomorrow. :iiam:

You should update unity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only got three! Ugh, I have a 12:30-1 appointment but then I have a dentist appointment at 1:15 in the same neighborhood, which I totally didn't think about at 4 AM when I made this reservation. I think I'm gonna get there around noon and see they can be nice and accommodate me a little early.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

azzenco posted:

Yeah seems like it freezes a lot when scrolling a webpage and I scroll to an ad. It also crashes FB a lot. At home, I deleted my network from the phone and added it back and now it freezes a lot less. As in, once every ~30 mins instead of once every five minutes. Rebooting my phone seemed to have it working well for about ten minutes but that gets old.

Will test the network deleting thing at work.

Yes same here. FB freezes several times a day, and sometimes it causes my whole phone to freeze (nothing works) for a minute or two. Just now I was searching Apple Music when a text came thru. I tried to pull down the notification bar, but my screen went black. I couldn't make the screen cut back on (I could hear Siri, but no screen), and I even called myself from my work phone, but it never would ring. Finally I had to hard reset it. This becoming such the norm that I am having Android flashbacks from back in the day. It is a crap shoot of what kind of experience I am going to have.

What do you mean delete network? Like 'reset network settings'? I just did that just in case.

I am on a pretty new 6. I've thought about reinstalling everything, but I plan to get a 6s in the next couple of weeks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nate fisher posted:

What do you mean delete network?

"Forget this network"

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone have any empirical advice as to upgrading from an iPhone 5S (16GB)? I've historically used my previous phone to pay for and even make a few bucks when upgrading. However, with companies no longer subsidizing, all of these new plans are throwing me off.

I currently pay around ~$53 for 1GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text on Verizon through a legacy plan. Between data warnings when I'm off wifi and storage concerns, I realize its going to cost plenty more for a 64GB 6S with more data.

tl;dr I'm not married to any one company for service since I live in the city, and am debating whether to buy the phone outright or pay each month. My contract is over on 10/22.

You should go to one of the new plans, 3GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text is $55 before device financing.

Paying for the phone up front is really a personal choice, but you can pay "nothing" up front for a 64GB 6S and pay ~$30/mo for the device over the course of 24 months at 0% interest (assuming your credit isn't poo poo). The new plan structures are way better than the old structure because if you choose to keep your phone longer than 2 years or pay for it up front; you have a cheaper monthly bill. If you decide to finance You pay less money up front ($0 other than taxes in most cases), your bill is about what it was under the old structures (not so in your case, but true for most people).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Works just fine for me, I used the feature last night for dropbox.

Are you typing anything special? Just bits of the file name or what?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

You should go to one of the new plans, 3GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text is $55 before device financing.

Paying for the phone up front is really a personal choice, but you can pay "nothing" up front for a 64GB 6S and pay ~$30/mo for the device over the course of 24 months at 0% interest (assuming your credit isn't poo poo). The new plan structures are way better than the old structure because if you choose to keep your phone longer than 2 years or pay for it up front; you have a cheaper monthly bill. If you decide to finance You pay less money up front ($0 other than taxes in most cases), your bill is about what it was under the old structures (not so in your case, but true for most people).

Money now is worth more than money later as well, so if price is your only concern and you can pay no interest, please opt for the monthly payments. :ohdear:

If you have the cash now you can even put it into a savings account or something and withdraw the $30/month and collect the negligible interest!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just tried with dropbox and it seems extremely hit or miss. The only file I could get it to bring up in search is my favorites.xml that Transmit syncs, no other file or folder names did anything.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

EconOutlines posted:

Anyone have any empirical advice as to upgrading from an iPhone 5S (16GB)? I've historically used my previous phone to pay for and even make a few bucks when upgrading. However, with companies no longer subsidizing, all of these new plans are throwing me off.

I currently pay around ~$53 for 1GB of data w/ unlimited talk/text on Verizon through a legacy plan. Between data warnings when I'm off wifi and storage concerns, I realize its going to cost plenty more for a 64GB 6S with more data.

tl;dr I'm not married to any one company for service since I live in the city, and am debating whether to buy the phone outright or pay each month. My contract is over on 10/22.

If I lived and mostly stayed in the city I would just buy whatever phone you want outright and switch to T-Mobile. Their plans are cheaper and seem to be pretty good service inside of major cities. However when we travel, my friends with T-Mobile usually lose service where on Verizon, I'm still going strong.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Falco posted:

If I lived and mostly stayed in the city I would just buy whatever phone you want outright and switch to T-Mobile. Their plans are cheaper and seem to be pretty good service inside of major cities. However when we travel, my friends with T-Mobile usually lose service where on Verizon, I'm still going strong.

I was on TMO for ~8 months and I live in a fairly major city (Raleigh, NC) that on the coverage map should be great, but the service here was poo poo, back on Verizon now and won't go back.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Feenix posted:

Are you typing anything special? Just bits of the file name or what?

Seems that the actual searching within IS borked. It will find things that I have opened from dropbox, but if I have not opened them they do not show up in search results. I searched for a part of the filename and it returned results for stuff I've opened but searching for 'resume' returned nothing until I opened it in Dropbox.

Wondering if this is an issue with the use of the API or something else? Mail app returns results as expected ..

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Okay, so I usually wait in line for upgrades, but I finally wised up and got in on a pre-order.

When you swap out phones at home, do you have to pull out the sim card from the 6+ and put it in the 6S+? I was so tired last year I don't remember if the Apple sales guy did that part or not.

Also, if I want to give my 6+ to someone on another carrier, should I call AT&T to see if they'll unlock it, or should I go through a third party?

Thanks!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mr. BT posted:

Okay, so I usually wait in line for upgrades, but I finally wised up and got in on a pre-order.

When you swap out phones at home, do you have to pull out the sim card from the 6+ and put it in the 6S+? I was so tired last year I don't remember if the Apple sales guy did that part or not.

Also, if I want to give my 6+ to someone on another carrier, should I call AT&T to see if they'll unlock it, or should I go through a third party?

Thanks!

When I have ordered from Apple the phone came with a SIM for the line it was ordered on. The activation ONLY worked with that line's SIM but after you could swap the SIM if you needed to.

If your 6+ is paid off and still carrier locked just submit a request here : https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

It is painless and is done very quick in most cases (same day for me last time).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Seems that the actual searching within IS borked. It will find things that I have opened from dropbox, but if I have not opened them they do not show up in search results. I searched for a part of the filename and it returned results for stuff I've opened but searching for 'resume' returned nothing until I opened it in Dropbox.

Wondering if this is an issue with the use of the API or something else? Mail app returns results as expected ..

For what it's worth, the Dropbox update notes explicitly state that Spotlight can only search documents you've viewed recently or have saved for offline access. I'm betting that Spotlight only works on data actually on your phone and can't search non-Apple clouds (since I assume that would require that app to open their cloud to Spotlight).

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

For what it's worth, the Dropbox update notes explicitly state that Spotlight can only search documents you've viewed recently or have saved for offline access. I'm betting that Spotlight only works on data actually on your phone and can't search non-Apple clouds (since I assume that would require that app to open their cloud to Spotlight).

Arg, I should read the release notes. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think I'm having issues with Mail in iOS 9. I've barely used it (1 minute on screen in last 24 hours) yet it's used so much background activity in the last 24 hours it's the biggest drain on my phone, despite me using it a ton.

Also it's saying that my usage and standby are exactly the same amount of time, which is obviously wrong.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone had issues post ios9 with Sunrise? It seems like it's stopped updating some (but not all) of my calendars entirely.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I am currently on Cricketwireless using my 4S which uses a microsim card. What would be the fastest way to get stuff transferred over to a nanosim if I wanted to pick up a 6S tomorrow?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone had issues post ios9 with Sunrise? It seems like it's stopped updating some (but not all) of my calendars entirely.

Well I think I figured it out, although it's real dumb. If your Exchange accounts aren't part of the apple mail/calendar/accounts section, apparently Sunrise can't connect to them any longer, but will still display the outdated calendar entries :confused:

I guess I didn't realize it was remora fished it way to calendar support by that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Etrips posted:

So I am currently on Cricketwireless using my 4S which uses a microsim card. What would be the fastest way to get stuff transferred over to a nanosim if I wanted to pick up a 6S tomorrow?

Go to a Cricket store and get a nanoSIM? Or just cut down the microSIM.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Endless Mike posted:

Go to a Cricket store and get a nanoSIM? Or just cut down the microSIM.

I'm assuming I would need the phone with me to make the transfer smoother?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't have concrete word one way or another but something I read (indirectly) by a commenter about the 4k Video on the S iPhones was that the 4k video did not seem to have the image stabilization.

Anyone know/heard one way or another?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The "deep search" doesn't seem to work for me. Everything is turned on for all apps under spotlight search and I've been on 9 since the GM came out. I just updated to 9.0.1 and it still doesn't work. I've rebooted and also gone down the list turning search results off and back on for all apps. Any ideas what else I could try?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Anyone else in here using google contacts and calendar with their iPhone?

I did some googling and apparently only changes you make on your iPhone are pushed instantly to your Google account. The other way around though, if you make changes on the web or from an android device, push doesn't work. So far so good.

I set fetch to manual because I'm pretty much adding calendar events and contacts 99% of the time from my iPhone. Calendar events sync as soon as I open my calendar app.
The problem is contacts.app. No matter what I do it just won't sync. The refresh button in the upper left corner does nothing. The only way I can force a sync is when I change something else on the iPhone. For example when I add another contact the little spinning wheel appears and it pushes the change to Google and at the same time it seems to fetch the changes I made on the web or on my android tablet.

I honestly can't remember if it has always been this way or if iOS 9 broke the refresh button in contacts.app

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The "deep search" doesn't seem to work for me. Everything is turned on for all apps under spotlight search and I've been on 9 since the GM came out. I just updated to 9.0.1 and it still doesn't work. I've rebooted and also gone down the list turning search results off and back on for all apps. Any ideas what else I could try?

Deep Linking/Universal Search: I was complaining about Dropbox above in this thread. Turns out it's only recently viewed items. I tested it by launching the Dropbox app and OPENING a file on my phone. Then I searched it in the Spotlight Search and it was the first hit.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

I don't have concrete word one way or another but something I read (indirectly) by a commenter about the 4k Video on the S iPhones was that the 4k video did not seem to have the image stabilization.

It does.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Feenix posted:

Here's an interesting video comparing 4K on the S/S+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDq1QN1oLSw

Pretty dramatic in certain cases. The part where he's walking inside the plane is super shaky on the 6S and smooth on the +.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want to buy MY GIRLFRIEND a rose gold iPhone. She's on Verizon. I want the phone to be unlocked for use when we travel internationally.

How can I go about doing this? Can I just get a T-Mobile phone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Here's an interesting video comparing 4K on the S/S+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDq1QN1oLSw

Pretty dramatic in certain cases. The part where he's walking inside the plane is super shaky on the 6S and smooth on the +.

Noice!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I have an AT&T 6S+ backordered till October 16 and a reservation at Apple at 8am. What are the chances that I can't get apple sales rep to sell me the phone on the AT&T uprade plan and cancel the AT&T order?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Jealous Cow posted:

I want to buy MY GIRLFRIEND a rose gold iPhone. She's on Verizon. I want the phone to be unlocked for use when we travel internationally.

How can I go about doing this? Can I just get a T-Mobile phone?

If you get one supplied by Verizon it will be unlocked.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

gohmak posted:

I have an AT&T 6S+ backordered till October 16 and a reservation at Apple at 8am. What are the chances that I can't get apple sales rep to sell me the phone on the AT&T uprade plan and cancel the AT&T order?

Why don't you just cancel the order now so it isn't an issue?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress, these 6s+ vs 6s video videos are triggering me big time, should I cancel my 6s order for the 6s+?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

gently caress, these 6s+ vs 6s video videos are triggering me big time, should I cancel my 6s order for the 6s+?

Depends, what's the square footage on your pockets?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Obvi.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Is the video you're recording on your current phone bugging you that much? Are you comfortable with handling that massive phablet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Interested to see if the glaring issues with rotation to landscape are fixed in the new model.

The problems with this are the biggest driver for me to consider getting a 6s and selling my 6 Plus.