Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I like the idea that Harry decided to be more honest with Kim in Fool Moon. As such, she didn't die, and neither did Harley MacFinn, which in turn means he and Tara are still around and able to provide help (including financial help from Harley) to every case after that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renegret posted:

No don't you dare even suggest that.

The change will be that the monk never shows up and Dresden gets all the puppies :3:

This is the best idea. 'Sup bad guys, I know you're thinking about some evil today but how about you just play with these puppies instead. Look how cute they are.

Then: denarian doggy day care, mab's mobile grooming, nemesis gets the pet turtle it always wanted and stops being bad to work on building a really nice heated water feature in the back yard for the turtle to play in. Vampires spend all their time constructing super-elaborate mazes for their pet rats.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Pretty much this. I seriously expect the alternate Dresden and co. to feel like "our" Dresden is the one who made the "wrong" choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm about a dozen pages into The Fuller Memorandum and already have a bit of a creeping notion that this is going to be the Empire Strikes Back entry in the series, isn't it? You know, the one where everything goes to poo poo for the heroes and the bad guys basically win?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm about a dozen pages into The Fuller Memorandum and already have a bit of a creeping notion that this is going to be the Empire Strikes Back entry in the series, isn't it? You know, the one where everything goes to poo poo for the heroes and the bad guys basically win?

You'll feel more like that when you've got a dozen pages left.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose it'll actually be a bit like Grave Peril, then, where they win but you don't feel like they won?

(Not giving anything away, mind you.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My general feeling on the Laundry Files is that basically every single book except maybe the Jennifer Morgue is 'things are getting worse for everyone."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What if Harry never decided to work for Nick Angel? Without the detective angle, he never meets Murphy, probably never meets Michael, never really forges the connections he has in the mundane world.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

ImpAtom posted:

My general feeling on the Laundry Files is that basically every single book except maybe the Jennifer Morgue is 'things are getting worse for everyone."

The book is basically founded on the premise that we're creeping closer to an inevitable apocalypse so yeah, pretty much :v:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

What if Evil Mirror Harry made the "right" choice when Regular Harry made the wrong one?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Is it clear there will be a Harry? What if Harry died due to some choice and we get to see how all the supporting cast makes out without him.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Clinton1011 posted:

Is it clear there will be a Harry? What if Harry died due to some choice and we get to see how all the supporting cast makes out without him.

It's been done already, and the answer is obviously puppies. I don't know why everyone keeps guessing other things.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Clinton1011 posted:

This almost literally describes my DFRPG game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wouldn't it just basically be "everything is hosed when Summer and Winter go to war because nobody but Harry stood a chance?"

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wouldn't it just basically be "everything is hosed when Summer and Winter go to war because nobody but Harry stood a chance?"

Would those events have happened if the masquerade never happened since that's when the nemesis started afflicting members of the fae courts?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clinton1011 posted:

Would those events have happened if the masquerade never happened since that's when the nemesis started afflicting members of the fae courts?

I don't think that the masquerade is where it began infecting everyone, it is just where Lea got her own particular infection from. It's certainly had other vectors.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think that the masquerade is where it began infecting everyone, it is just where Lea got her own particular infection from. It's certainly had other vectors.

The first 3 books are because of Nemeisis . Jim didn't know if he was going to get a contract. That's why the 4th or 3rd book ends with "Mouse I think someone's trying to kill me". If Jim didn't get a contract he could get things rolling on ending the series.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I'm going to go with mirror Harry accepting Marcone's job offer way back when, and things have worked out better as Harry had more resources earlier. Murphy would be more of an antagonistic relationship, kinda on par with early Gard.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
Toma, stop hitting yourself

Edit: Whoa, wrong thread!

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I kind of hope Harry gets turned into a dog by Lea. This elegant solution involves puppies still.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

ImpAtom posted:

Not in a universe where the world existed afterwards, it didn't. Clearly someone stopped that outcome from happening.

That's how universes with main characters work: things that the main characters don't have an opportunity to interact with either aren't a big deal, or else get solved by someone else. It would be really boring if the PCs are enjoying their slow growth to power and excellence when, all of a sudden, an unknowable force destroyed the world.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I've finished the 3 Pax Arcana books and I like 'em.

Any other new-ish good UF series?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blasphemeral posted:

That's how universes with main characters work: things that the main characters don't have an opportunity to interact with either aren't a big deal, or else get solved by someone else. It would be really boring if the PCs are enjoying their slow growth to power and excellence when, all of a sudden, an unknowable force destroyed the world.

Sure, that's sort of like what Thomas is doing in his story from Side Jobs, isn't it?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, that's sort of like what Thomas is doing in his story from Side Jobs, isn't it?

Precisely. :eng101: Excellent example.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Barbe Rouge posted:

Try The Library on Mount Char, California Bones and The Unnoticeables.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Oblivion War is one of the coolest ideas in the Dresden universe, but I doubt we'll see much more of it.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Megazver posted:

Try The Library on Mount Char, California Bones and The Unnoticeables.

True story: I had just finished The Unnoticables when my wife put on the Mario Lopez episode of Family Feud.

I was... unnerved.

Seriously. Go read it. Don't let me be the only one freaked out when A.C. Slater pops up on TV.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

The Oblivion War is one of the coolest ideas in the Dresden universe, but I doubt we'll see much more of it.

Yeah, what a cool concept. I suspect we'll hear more about it in the finale trilogy, though, even though Jim has suggested that we won't.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Barbe Rouge posted:

The Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore is pretty good, and Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust series has already been brought up.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Do we know who she picked it up from?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magres posted:

The knife she got as the gift IIRC.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Hahaha those motherfuckers

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Magres posted:

I think you made someone very angry according to your custom title...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Exmond posted:

I think you made someone very angry according to your custom title...

Magres posted:

Short version is that gamergate hates trans people and gets real, real mad if you ban people for saying lovely thing about trans people.

Long version is that I'm one of the moderators for the r/planetside subreddit. A month or two ago a woman posted a picture of a skirt she made with the logo of one of the in-game factions. Because the internet is awful, the thread devolved into morons pointing and screaming slurs and "OMG ITS A GUY." I banned like a dozen people and told them to write 500 word essays on the (horrifyingly harmful) impacts of transphobia on trans people if they wanted to get unbanned (I figured it'd give me extra chances to mock idiots, and that anyone who actually spent half an hour writing the drat thing was sincere enough to get a second chance). One of them got r/kotakuinaction, the gamergate subreddit, whipped up into a frenzy about Ethics In Gaming Moderation, and one of them decided to drop :10bux: on giving me the best red text ever

it is a good title

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ImpAtom posted:

Gatekeeper could have handled it much sooner. He gave Harry the job to keep him from getting kicked out of the Council.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ConfusedUs posted:

I like the theory that it's literally just Laura manipulating Thomas in such a way that he won't question it.

Go kill these people, and don't give me any lip or tell anyone or the monsters will get everyone.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I like the theory that it's literally just Laura manipulating Thomas in such a way that he won't question it.

Go kill these people, and don't give me any lip or tell anyone or the monsters will get everyone.

And then erase your memory about it afterwards so you can't even remember anything that might make you suspicious.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked up Working for Bigfoot today. Overpriced, but a still enjoyable set of short stories. Lot of charm in those brief adventures.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
Speaking of Mouse, I never got how Butcher mistook lions for dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neremworld posted:

Speaking of Mouse, I never got how Butcher mistook lions for dogs.

Well, a Chinese zoo passed off a dog as a lion.