Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
It turns out that powering my city exclusively through solar power isn't that good an idea at night! Good thing I have too much money or else that would be a colossal :haw: gently caress up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, solar plants went from possibly the best powerplant to the worst.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"What are batteries, after all?"

Since there's a slight increase in consumption by day you could use solar as a supplemental power source except you can't adjust day/night budgets per facility so you'd have to turn it off manually at night to save money.

Also I just saw a Chirp about Lady Tessier-Ashpool building a space station.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'd like some Sprawl architecture, please

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm having fun making some little beach "boardwalk"-type things with fishing pier/jetski rental at the end of each road

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Antti posted:

Also I just saw a Chirp about Lady Tessier-Ashpool building a space station.

I'd love some futuristic cyberpunk Judge Dredd style architecture DLC.

With megablocks, too.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I just noticed there's a Bus Station ploppable you can use instead of cobbling together a "station" of your own with stops and walkways and poo poo! :dance:

I think they've also toned down the purple pollution effect slightly but I'm still going to mod it away.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Moridin920 posted:

I'd love some futuristic cyberpunk Judge Dredd style architecture DLC.

With megablocks, too.

Yesss I 100% want a dystopian hellscape city sim. In SC2K I would throw down as many Plymouth and Darco arcologies as possible and I want to do the same but even moreso.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right, time to dive head-first into the deep end again. Anyone got any good maps to suggest?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Alkydere posted:

Right, time to dive head-first into the deep end again. Anyone got any good maps to suggest?

I've always enjoyed these maps for Euro builds:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/zakerias/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
so, for some reason, a new game i'm trying to start is taking 10+ minutes to load, which i suppose is somewhat related to the 400+ workshop items i've downloaded from collections linked in here probably being incompatable somewhere . Anyone have an idea where the UNSUBCRIBE FROM EVERYTHING button is on the Steam Workshop? Also, whats the latest recommended mods over the past few months?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oooh, pretty.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there a method/mod that let's you convert an existing two-way single carriageway into a one-way? Sort of how you could in SC4?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is there a method/mod that let's you convert an existing two-way single carriageway into a one-way? Sort of how you could in SC4?

Use the upgrade road tool with the one-way road selected. Right click with the upgrade tool active to make the segment go the proper direction.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm pretty pumped for custom buildings being updated for night lights, this looks amazing.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I anybody else getting a load screen that freezes at 99%? Specifically, anyone who uses Some Roads?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm excited for the new release but I think I'm going to sit on it for a day or two and let the modders catch up a little bit.

Did the two big traffic mods get early access to the game to get their mods released same day?

Does after dark have a built in auto bulldoze option now?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hadlock posted:

I'm excited for the new release but I think I'm going to sit on it for a day or two and let the modders catch up a little bit.

Did the two big traffic mods get early access to the game to get their mods released same day?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520741974

Here's a list of mods working as of the present.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Gula just posted on twitter that he's updated all his (mostly excellent) mods for AD

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've kinda fell behind on this game by a year or so, backlogs and stuff. You know how it is.

SO ANYWAY, I remember one of the things people complained about at release was that the traffic AI was pretty bad. Did mods ever fix that?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pierson posted:

I've kinda fell behind on this game by a year or so, backlogs and stuff. You know how it is.

SO ANYWAY, I remember one of the things people complained about at release was that the traffic AI was pretty bad. Did mods ever fix that?

The vanilla traffic AI works fine, people complained at release because they're bads. There are also mods that change the AI to make it pretty much a complete nonissue, but at the moment they're pretty broken by the recent update.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On one hand, I fully understand why an elementary school would light up to keep track of the kids at night. On the other hand, I don't understand why an elementary school, or any education center, would be open at night. You'd think it would be a dark hole in your city's lightscape at night simply because no one's there.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Pierson posted:

Your post gave me a fright but this did actually come out this March. I was terrified an entire year had slipped by.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hadlock posted:

While this is a good idea and I probably won't have time to sit down and play until Saturday anyway, I still want to say for the record that I hate all of you who manage to play right now.

:cry:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I don't suppose anyone knows how to unsubscribe from all the subscribed mods at once?
Now that a lot of assets probably won't be updated for a while, I figure it might be a good time to start with a clean modlist.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fasdar posted:

I anybody else getting a load screen that freezes at 99%? Specifically, anyone who uses Some Roads?
I've actually been getting that after I disabled all my mods and started a new city...

Is that not normal? Most reports of that I've seen have been solved by people disabling mods.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm guessing this isn't getting a new thread for the expansion but was gonna throw out

Cities: Skylines - Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Also, hype for this! Got a weekend of nothing but this planned.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Nick Esasky posted:

so, for some reason, a new game i'm trying to start is taking 10+ minutes to load, which i suppose is somewhat related to the 400+ workshop items i've downloaded from collections linked in here probably being incompatable somewhere . Anyone have an idea where the UNSUBCRIBE FROM EVERYTHING button is on the Steam Workshop? Also, whats the latest recommended mods over the past few months?

There's an unsubscribe all button in game, in the content manager under Steam workshop on the left. It made the game freeze up for a couple minutes for me but it did work.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, every nightfall my income drops like a rock before slowly crawling back up over the night. Anyone know what in the world is going on?

The cover of darkness hides my hideous layouts and appalling planning. :v:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Alkydere posted:

On one hand, I fully understand why an elementary school would light up to keep track of the kids at night. On the other hand, I don't understand why an elementary school, or any education center, would be open at night. You'd think it would be a dark hole in your city's lightscape at night simply because no one's there.

-Teachers often work long hours past when students are there
-Staff meetings
-Janitors and service or repair personnel in school districts often work night shifts
-PTA Meetings
-Concerts
-School plays
-Building rented for other means
-The game is an abstraction and it's possible they chose to just leave all public/"city" buildings open all the time because otherwise things break

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So the bus lanes are neat. The road still technically has 4/6 lanes but the outside ones are painted red. Normal traffic avoids the red lanes unless they need to use them to turn off. So the red lanes stay clear for bus, taxi and emergency service vehicles.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 24, 2015

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
How are the bike lanes? Can cims ride on regular roads and pedestrian paths?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nick Esasky posted:

Steam Workshop doesn't have any such button. However, C:S does have one in-game. Go into Content Manager on the main menu, then select Steam Workshop. There should be an Unsubscribe All button at the top of the window.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Saxophone posted:

I'm guessing this isn't getting a new thread for the expansion but was gonna throw out

Cities: Skylines - Hello Darkness My Old Friend

Also, hype for this! Got a weekend of nothing but this planned.

This is probably a smart idea to go with a new thread at this point. We've already gotten major service pack release and now this update. Two hundred pages of discussion about bugs and feature incomplete mods that have been fixed and are now feature complete.

And that's a fantastic name for a thread. :getin:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Metrication posted:

How are the bike lanes? Can cims ride on regular roads and pedestrian paths?

i don't know about those things but i know you can build them next to roads and they get incorporated along the sidewalk. it's great

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It doesn't seem like it matters whether you zone leisure or tourist districts with light or dense commercial.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Everything's so pretty, and pollution effects are noticeably better, but what I really like is that the colour-coded nature of streetlights makes night-time almost like a useful traffic planning view in itself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TheQat posted:

i don't know about those things but i know you can build them next to roads and they get incorporated along the sidewalk. it's great

Oh, kinda like normal paths connect to roads? That's cool. You can also upgrade roads to have bike-lanes. It trades out their parking for bike-space which is nifty.

Also, judging from my new city, water pollution DOES affect property values. There's a section of clean water where the houses on either side are oh so very valuable. Then it drops off rapidly as it hits my sewage pump.

Oh, and once you get the new "Leisure and tourism" tab of the parks menu open there are water buildings you can place. Just drop them on the edge of the water and they'll work as long as a road is near them. Doesn't have to be touching, a 1-2 tile separation works just fine it seems.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 24, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

man new athens started off strong, and then night fell and everyone stopped paying taxes apparently ?? now i don't have enough money to grow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I made a building to celebrate after dark coming out:

Because y'know who doesn't want a terrifying face staring at them at all times of the day.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 25, 2015