Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Some time later mastershakeman realises he was the only one using centimetres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mastershakeman posted:

That's for halfling I'd think? Same size category should be same length, but girth should be wildly different from elf (needle) to dwarf (cube). Minotaur obviously gets to roll with advantage.

The real question is do topsider elves have an inferiority complex wrt drow on this topic.

Once you go drow, you never go back?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Exactly.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

ActusRhesus posted:

To be fair, that's more because of the shackles and spiderwebs than satisfaction.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sage Genesis posted:

To be fair, that's more because of the shackles and spiderwebs than satisfaction.

Once you go underground, you'll never be found.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Fabulous.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ActusRhesus posted:

Once you go drow, you've truly been plow'd.

Ugh I kinda hate myself now.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Once you go drow, you've truly been plow'd.

Ugh I kinda hate myself now.

It's ok. I came up w that one too about an hour ago.

Also once you get drow 'd no scrubs allowed.

NTT please.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 24, 2015

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm starting a new 5e game with some friends (we just finished a 4e campaign, and most of us hated the system). Some of the players have experienced the beginning of HotDQ, so what are the opinions on Out of the Abyss vs. Princes of the Apocalypse? (Or is it too early for people to have played through Abyss?)

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Finishing up rise of tiamat in adventure league. The group of more veteran guys have abandoned pota and are doing homebrew. The other group of mixed experience d players are running it and don't seem to be having the best time. My 2cp.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Today I ran a one-shot of Dungeon World for my D&D 5E group and they absolutely loved having interesting things to do, the freeform nature of the narrative and the collaborative worldbuilding. They were planning on running Elemental Evil and Out of the Abyss after we get finished with Tiamat but they're getting me to just continue running straight DW for them instead. I thought the group were very traditional grognardy D&D-heads so it feels great for them to see how to actually have fun with RPGs.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Boing posted:

Today I ran a one-shot of Dungeon World for my D&D 5E group and they absolutely loved having interesting things to do, the freeform nature of the narrative and the collaborative worldbuilding. They were planning on running Elemental Evil and Out of the Abyss after we get finished with Tiamat but they're getting me to just continue running straight DW for them instead. I thought the group were very traditional grognardy D&D-heads so it feels great for them to see how to actually have fun with RPGs.

Arguably, this should go in the dungeon world thread.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Xelkelvos posted:

Arguably, this should go in the dungeon world thread.

It's a comparison of Next and DW, so he can post it in both/either.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Brocktoon posted:

I'm starting a new 5e game with some friends (we just finished a 4e campaign, and most of us hated the system). Some of the players have experienced the beginning of HotDQ, so what are the opinions on Out of the Abyss vs. Princes of the Apocalypse? (Or is it too early for people to have played through Abyss?)

If you're choosing between the two, pick Princes. Both try to be effective sandbox type games but OotA is a hot mess whereas princes is relatively coherent. You'll have to do a lot of extra work to make OotA into a good game. Princes you'll only do a little extra work.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Once you go drow, you'll hurt sitting dow'.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Plebs.

Drow rhymes with crow. :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Not for anyone I've ever talked with?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

FRINGE posted:

Plebs.

Truth.

Kurieg posted:

Not for anyone I've ever talked with?

Surfacers don't know poo poo. Take the name back!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Wait I can't tell if anyone is being serious.

This is gif all over again!

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Wait I can't tell if anyone is being serious.

This is gif all over again!

It's propaganda! They just want to obsolete your "I Drop Trow For Drow" graphic tee and make you buy their "I Go Bro For Drow" swag instead.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

FRINGE posted:

Plebs.

Of all the things wrong you've said in this thread, this is the most wrong.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

The Drow in Baldur's Gate 2 rhyme 'drow' with 'cow,' so there.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

djw175 posted:

yup

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drow175 posted:

This guy checks out.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
All the elf racists coming out with their cow rhymes.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

not gonna lie, "drow, please" may or may not now be part of our vernacular.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

JonBolds posted:

If you're choosing between the two, pick Princes. Both try to be effective sandbox type games but OotA is a hot mess whereas princes is relatively coherent. You'll have to do a lot of extra work to make OotA into a good game. Princes you'll only do a little extra work.

Can you go into more detail about what you think makes it a "hot mess"? I've been looking at some reviews online (example: http://diehardgamefan.com/2015/09/04/tabletop-review-rage-of-demons-out-of-the-abyss-dungeons-dragons-fifth-editiondd-5e/ ) and it seems like the themes and mechanics are things that would be right up my alley. (I've run CoC games before)

If it just boils down to "the DM has to do a lot of prep and take a lot of notes to keep everything coherent", I'm down for that, because I'm that kind of DM anyway. But if there's other problems, I'd love to hear more from someone who didn't like OotA.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I wouldn't go so far as 'hot mess', but OOTA is the most sandboxy of the released 5e books and requires the most work from the DM. It also assumes you know what you're doing as DM and doesn't hold your hand. Something like 4 chapters of the book happen in any order, they are city/town descriptions with quests and whatnot, so it's entirely up to the DM to balance all that and make it work. We are doing a run of it on the forums here.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Gygax said it rhymes with "brow" or "cow", and since he invented them....

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

TheWyrmDude posted:

The Drow in Baldur's Gate 2 rhyme 'drow' with 'cow,' so there.

And who wrote that game? Surfacers! Don't believe the hype!

FRINGE posted:

All the elf racists coming out with their cow rhymes.

Never trust a honky.

dwarf74 posted:

More surfacer propaganda!

Since this is the Next thread, there's an important question. What's the deal with WoTC giving PC races penalties again?

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 25, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

Tsk, we've already been over the problem that everyone's been happily ignoring Gygax's intentions for 40 years.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

ritorix posted:

I wouldn't go so far as 'hot mess', but OOTA is the most sandboxy of the released 5e books and requires the most work from the DM. It also assumes you know what you're doing as DM and doesn't hold your hand. Something like 4 chapters of the book happen in any order, they are city/town descriptions with quests and whatnot, so it's entirely up to the DM to balance all that and make it work.

Ding ding, I agree! But not with your terms. I think you're confusing "doesn't hold your hand" with "is nothing more than a bunch of disconnected encounters and areas with a related theme. It's not a sandbox - you can't just strike out after rumors and hope to find what you want. It's a "Here's your three possible plot threads, now go to these locations and once you've done them you'll get to move forward in the story." Because of those story-driven breaks you can't tackle the adventure in any order. You can tackle individual segments within the plot in order, but not the story as a whole. You can't "wander" through the plot, following up on interesting leads. You can wander to different locations and set off the story events there as you arrive.

I think PotA is stronger because there's a more focused scope and area. Its various areas, with suggestions as to further content, and different groups to engage with, can be moved through in a *lot* of orders depending on how your group plays out and what they discover. There are not many chocies where your group says "okay, we did X, now let's do Y like <NPC> suggested earlier." It succeeds much better as a real sandbox.

OotA's strong points are that it resembles a video game like dragon age: origins in how the narrative is arranged. You're able to move through each segment or chapter in whatever order you please - but without significant DM restructuring the adventure doesn't account for doing things 'out of order' very well, if at all. Players will end up at weird levels for different parts of the game.

Obviously, with 'DM Work' you can fix these problems... but that's just like a lot of the attempts to fix poo poo in this thread. Ain't worth it unless you're really invested in running that precise adventure.

E:

Brocktoon posted:

Can you go into more detail about what you think makes it a "hot mess"? I've been looking at some reviews online (example: http://diehardgamefan.com/2015/09/04/tabletop-review-rage-of-demons-out-of-the-abyss-dungeons-dragons-fifth-editiondd-5e/ ) and it seems like the themes and mechanics are things that would be right up my alley. (I've run CoC games before)

If it just boils down to "the DM has to do a lot of prep and take a lot of notes to keep everything coherent", I'm down for that, because I'm that kind of DM anyway. But if there's other problems, I'd love to hear more from someone who didn't like OotA.

Err, whoops, didn't address all this. If you're into this because you're going to take it apart and put it back together again, then go with whatever. If you want ready to run, go with PotA. I'm not of the opinion that OotA is CoC-style scary horror. It's more of a whimsical / grimsical bad times horror.

JonBolds fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 25, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Pfox posted:

Since this is the Next thread, there's an important question. What's the deal with WoTC giving PC races penalties again?

~*VERISIMILITUDE*~

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pfox posted:

Well 3.5 did it so...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pfox posted:

There has never been an edition without racial penalties.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

P.d0t posted:

~*VERISIMILITUDE*~

What a horrid word.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

dwarf74 posted:

Actually, Gygax didn't invent the word: "drow" comes from the Scots word "trow", "trowe" or "trouw," and refers to a mischievous sprite or fairy, as in the sentence "Trowies canna tak' thoo' Hushie ba, lammie." He was right about the pronunciation, as "trow" rhymes with cow.
:goonsay:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Splicer posted:

There has never been an edition without racial penalties.

We have always been at war with Paiz Asia.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How now, drow cow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
It's called a rothe.