Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i generally like their poo poo across the board but i've never worked with their radios. are you using a soc or module or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'M not using any Atmel stuff unfortunately. I was working with a contractor on an 802.15.4 device, we were forced to use MRF24J40 but said contractor (who is a lot more experienced) said he'd have much rather used the Atmel radios.

The MCU+Radio chips are ok i guess but they're literally two dies in one package iirc, the radio's just hooked up using SPI internally.

Actually the reason why we're using the MRF is because it comes as a complete module that you can just plop onto your PCB, and the Atmels do not. Which means you have to get FCC certification for Atmel based designs whereas you can just piggyback on the FCC cert for the Microchip module. We think/hope.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
modules for rev1, but it's sorta irrelevant from the FW side. im at the dev kit bringup stage, can't speak to real bringup just yet

TI had much better integrated options with the radio module in the same package as app processor, but that kinda locks you onto their stuff

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why is every online verilog resource either strictly about simulation/modeling or aggressively terrible

am i the only person in the world synthesizing poo poo????

gently caress

i long for death

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

why is every online verilog resource either strictly about simulation/modeling or aggressively terrible
is the first result for "verilog tutorial" still "hello world" done with a $display call?

even my formal education in verilog was treated as a gauche lingua franca to implement all our awesome computer architecture ideas

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.asic-world.com/verilog/first1.html#Hello_World_Program yup

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there should be a verilog to synthesize a giant 3d middle finger sticking out of the silicon imo

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i'm pretty sure that is the motivation behind MIMS. the worlds tiniest bird-flipper.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A buddy visited some assembly shop, he said they had no ESD control whatsoever that he could see, no grounding straps or wires or anything at any of the stations. He commented on this.

guy giving the tour: "oh we're all wireless here" :smug:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i have inherited this monstrosity from a co-worker who is leaving: and the powers that be have decided they want 12 more made, i was thinking i could probably get a pcb printed and solder all these boards to it instead of wiring them all individually, someone give me a sanity check

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that'll work. As long as your pcb routing is actually correct and you don't mind the time and/or expense of waiting for boards from somewhere. The result is smaller, cleaner, and less prone to errors if making anything more than ones & twos.

If time allows then I have done exactly that in the past. Otherwise just suck it up and do it all by hand but 10+ of anything really makes you notice the inefficiencies in any kind of assembly work.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

we can do small run pcb printing in-house so ill run it by those in charge see what they say

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we can too but its usually faster/cheaper to just go out of house

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Using a custom made pcb to simply glue together some breakout boards might seem weird in a way but in a situation like what you show it's really just making the wiring job smaller, cleaner, faster to assemble, and less prone to errors in assembly.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

we can too but its usually faster/cheaper to just go out of house

quite true

Mister Sinewave posted:

Using a custom made pcb to simply glue together some breakout boards might seem weird in a way but in a situation like what you show it's really just making the wiring job smaller, cleaner, faster to assemble, and less prone to errors in assembly.

this was my thought entirely, i can't be arsed to sit down for a week wiring up/debugging a million of these, so anything to offload that work is fine by me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

do you have lab techs?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

yep, thats me

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

at least, im the odd job guy who it falls to to manufacture this sort of stuff
a post doc will go "Im conducting a study and i need something that does this, go find or make one for me"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh :rip:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry by proxy for all of the horrendous garbage ive dumped on people like you!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the cool thing about grad school is that as soon as you'd need to support something you're gone!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Bloody posted:

sorry by proxy for all of the horrendous garbage ive dumped on people like you!

Ive got to make some cool stuff actually! gimmie a sec to rustle up a picture of something

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

this is an electronic punching bag i helped some high school interns make, those silver things are buttons we made and it uses the location of a punch in tandem with an accelerometer to calculate force, it also has a led array on it as a kind of rudimentary screen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

thats actually really cool

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

in that plastic box is 2 arduino megas that handle all the input and output, everything is calculated on the computer, it has a high score function too

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like to imagine that sign refers to the punching bag itself

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

makign and troubleshooting a pcb seems like a lot of hassle for 12 units

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Mido posted:

makign and troubleshooting a pcb seems like a lot of hassle for 12 units

they had previously told me they might have wanted up to 50, but they seem to have relented

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like to imagine that sign refers to the punching bag itself

the punching bag is tired

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
does anyone have Strong Opinions about message pack or protocol buffers?

i have a lot of very regular data that i need to punt up to the cloud with a bunch of goofy embedded constraints (like samples being 3b instead of something reasonable) and i'm not going to package things up in JSON

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
protocol buffers require a schema, but will be smaller
if you want to use message pack but need to optimize for size you'll end up giving fields one-letter names

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
thanks!

I'm really sensitive to size, and one end of this is in C which seems to rule out protobuf. i know the format of the 31bytes I want to send. at this point i know enough to spin up a few dummy test cases and work them out. some of the message pack examples looked like they were outside of k:v pairs in JSON format though

debating asking the gray forums

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

thanks!

I'm really sensitive to size, and one end of this is in C which seems to rule out protobuf. i know the format of the 31bytes I want to send. at this point i know enough to spin up a few dummy test cases and work them out. some of the message pack examples looked like they were outside of k:v pairs in JSON format though

debating asking the gray forums

what is the thing running C? if it's an OS you can still use google protobuff and just link it cleverly

contriving my own stupid schema is never a problem, the most difficult thing is keep tracking of MSB/LSB madness depending on the platform/what is serializing/deserializing in the chain of things

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mido posted:

what is the thing running C? if it's an OS you can still use google protobuff and just link it cleverly
m4

im in enough fights with my tools that I don't want to add another language though. and there's actually another programmer around this time, so I don't have the luxury/curse of writing both sides

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

m4

im in enough fights with my tools that I don't want to add another language though. and there's actually another programmer around this time, so I don't have the luxury/curse of writing both sides

hmm, well if i were in your situation i'd probably still use protobuff and just make a little script that generates a static library from the protobuff schema file that is linkable (there's probably reasons it's not this simple)

failing that -- let me know what you end up going with/link your greyforums post here

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

JawnV6 posted:

m4

here's the wire format for protocol buffers, fwiw
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/encoding

it wouldn't be that hard to mash together valid messages ad-hoc if you're just sending

if you're receiving it's sketchier but i'm pretty sure there exists c bindings, even if they're not official

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm pretty sure the C++ req is for the repeatable elements and leveraging the class structure to handle the goopy bits

the C side just needs to emit, for downlink stuff it can be totally different formatting

cool, protobuffs back on. idk if i mentioned but the 3b values will probably end up as 4b for Other Reasons

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what about capn proto?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

what about capn proto?

mentioned in my gray post, but I'm not wild about it

looks like less support and I'm not crazy about moving all in-memory representation over to something goofy. i still like being able to navigate a memory dump on paper & pencil.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
i work out my dumps with a pencil too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

• Locked thread