Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

dex_sda posted:

you say that but if that's what happened at school I'd never have missed a day

Yes, but presumably a trained professional would be the one doing everything and I wouldn't be allowed anywhere near that poo poo myself. I know they have a "don't try this at home" thing at the end, but it's certainly presented like one of those "Here's some cool science experiments you can do yourself!" videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
As a trained professional, I expect that MazeofTzeentch will be reading you all my obituary shortly after I get a decent workspace. Not much exciting chemistry to be done in an apartment besides metal finishing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

ArcMage posted:

As a trained professional, I expect that MazeofTzeentch will be reading you all my obituary shortly after I get a decent workspace. Not much exciting chemistry to be done in an apartment besides metal finishing.

Only if you promise to do the same for me.

I should not be entrusted with a back yard

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Countdown to lost fingats...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dex_sda posted:

Things I remember from high school chemistry:

-Thermite
-Popping candy into molten potassium chloride (a laffy taffy at the end of the day filled the entire room and hallway with smoke)
-A gauss cannon powered on 120v AC (this one isn't really chemistry related, my teacher just REALLY wanted to punch a hole in a ceiling tile. Came pretty close, IIRC.)
-A demonstration of why you should be careful not to get silver nitrate on your skin ("In retrospect, I should probably have just told you what happens instead of showing you. That's not gonna come out...")
-Bringing in an entire tub of dry ice for us to play with. Yes, one idiot managed to burn himself.

I'm sure I'll remember more.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

KillHour posted:

All the good science teachers are slightly insane.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not as bad as discussed above, but I saw a video a while ago showing how to find the high-voltage cathode pin on a CRT flyback transformer. The guy wrapped a few turns of magnet wire around the exposed core, pulsed power through it, and moved the anode cup near the pins to see which one the spark arcs towards.

I thought he was crazy, but it turns out that it really is the best way to do it and I've done it a few times myself.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Anything for you :love:

I had a small assortment of pyrotechnic colorants that made for an entertaining bonfire a bit ago, and in the other direction, I've got 5/3 of a PA amp that needs concatenation.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

jetz0r posted:

I remember sitting through a lecture one day in 10th grade chemistry, and from down the hall hearing a massive explosion followed by some kid yelling "OOOOHHHH DO IT AGAIN!!"

The combustion unit is everyone's favorite.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

I remember sitting through a lecture one day in 10th grade chemistry, and from down the hall hearing a massive explosion followed by some kid yelling "OOOOHHHH DO IT AGAIN!!"

The combustion unit is everyone's favorite.

One of my favorite demos was the "tent warmer". I had an old paint can with a hole punched in the center top and on the side near the bottom. I would fill it with natural gas and with a finger cleverly placed over the lower vent hole, would light the gas at the top.

I would introduce it then as something clever I saw in a camping magazine. You could take it with you on a hike, filled with gas, and it would provide a small flame to warm your tent at night. The kids were generally wtf about it, so I would shrug and set it aside, then go on with the lesson.

Over time, air would enter through the hole at the bottom, and as the gas got increasingly oxygen rich, the flame would get smaller and lighter, until it was completely invisible and the kids forgot all about it.

Then after almost exactly 5 minutes it would explode, blowing the lid clear to the ceiling. It was very effective at getting their attention.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

-Thermite
-Popping candy into molten potassium chloride (a laffy taffy at the end of the day filled the entire room and hallway with smoke)
-A gauss cannon powered on 120v AC (this one isn't really chemistry related, my teacher just REALLY wanted to punch a hole in a ceiling tile. Came pretty close, IIRC.)
-A demonstration of why you should be careful not to get silver nitrate on your skin ("In retrospect, I should probably have just told you what happens instead of showing you. That's not gonna come out...")
-Bringing in an entire tub of dry ice for us to play with. Yes, one idiot managed to burn himself.

I'm sure I'll remember more.

My dad's favorite demo from his days as a high school chemistry teacher was to add potassium chlorate to the standard sugar and sulfuric acid demo. One year he did it in a hood that vented over the school courtyard, and it belched clouds of black smoke out over everyone eating lunch there.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

dex_sda posted:

I high school a science teacher who did potassium in water, but ended up putting too much in...good times. He also told us that a student from years past had managed to steal a sizeable chunck of potassium which he then flushed down the toilet...

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

There was a kid in my HS who thought it'd be cool to pocket a chunk of sodium from chemistry class (right after a demo of how it reacted with water).

The chunk didn't enjoy his sweaty jeans, so he wound up with badly burnt nuts.

Edit: now that I'm remembering (this was back in '84-'85), he felt it getting hot in his pocket and ran to the bathroom and splashed water on it. I wasn't in his class but I remember him screaming and there was definitely a burning smell in the hallway afterwards.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

jetz0r posted:

I can't remember his name but one of the science teachers at my high school would take a large coffee can, poke a hole in the lid, fill it with hydrogen and light the escaping gas to make a candle. He'd proceed to tell us all a ghost story saving the very last line for when the flammability limit was reached and boom.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Un chien andalou posted:

I high school a science teacher who did potassium in water, but ended up putting too much in...good times. He also told us that a student from years past had managed to steal a sizeable chunck of potassium which he then flushed down the toilet...

My grandfather may or may not have made a pipe bomb for a science club activity in high school and may or may not have detonated it in a lab sink at said high school causing the blast to resonate through the entire plumbing system of the building...

Enourmo posted:

Back when I was in HS one of the chem teachers got arrested for teaching kids how to make a bomb.

Same grandfather helped my uncle make moonshine for a science project in elementary school.

Powerlurker has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Sep 12, 2015

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Un chien andalou posted:

My Junior year high school chemistry teacher did this as well. He was telling us about the properties of Potassium and its reactions while he pulled this chunk of potassium out of a jar of mineral oil and shaved a little bit off of it, then threw the remaining big chunk into the beaker of water in front of him and the little sliver back into the jar of oil. I remember he stopped immediately after he did that and just calmly went "oh, poo poo" and pushed the beaker into the big lab sink in the middle of the lecturer's table. Apparently people on the other side of the school heard it go off.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Back when I was in HS one of the chem teachers got arrested for teaching kids how to make a bomb.

News Article posted:

...used an overhead projector in class to give instructions in making explosives to students at Freedom High School, including advising them to use an electric detonator to stay clear from the blast, an Orange County sheriff's arrest report said.

So this wasn't just "Hey, this reaction is highly exothermic ;)".

quote:

One student said he set off an explosive device at a golf course on Jan. 6 and videotaped it, an arrest warrant said. The videotape shows an explosion, and the voice of a young man can be heard shouting, authorities said.
Pieski told investigators he detonated chemicals in a coffee can by a ball field four times for his students, the sheriff's office said. He said he did this as a chemistry project to show a reaction rate, the arrest report said.

"Pieski admitted to me that he observed (the student's) video and approved of his successful results," the arresting officer said in the warrant. "Pieski disagreed with the project being an explosion."

"Honest, officer, it was just a repid deflagration! The ensuing rupture of the containment vessel was entirely coincidental!"

quote:

Pieski guided investigators to an unlocked metal cabinet in the back of a classroom, where there was "a can of black powder stored next to other chemicals," the sheriff's office said.

Black powder around high school students, excellent.

I swear I saw video of it back then, but I'm not digging around to try and find it 10 years after the fact.

E: I know "explosion" is often used for "large slow-moving fireball" and I believe that was the case here now I think of it, but still.

Fender Anarchist has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Sep 12, 2015

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Pointless story follows:

I had a chemistry teacher many years ago that made the most wonderful substance. I never found out how he made it as he unfortunately died the following year from cancer.

It was called "Jippo-shack" cologne (nothing to do with Roma, it's just a saying up in northern MN for a logging shack that you stay in for the winter). He would tell a rambling story about how he knew a logger who would never change his long johns all winter and the hair would eventually grow all the way through and he couldn't take them off. So he would shave off the long johns, boil them, and make cologne from them.

My teacher would then take a glass rod and take out a small amount of brown liquid from a graduated cylinder. He would have you smell it and you wouldn't smell anything. He would say, touch it and take a whiff from your finger.

Once the liquid touched your skin, it would stain it brown for a week and smell like the worst BO mixed with rear end you've ever imagined for a full day. You had to use mineral spirits or gasoline to get the smell off and even then you could still detect a little of the rear end smell.

It was the best chemistry trick I've ever seen and I've never heard of how it's done.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

^^^ I suspect that if someone tells what that was I'll facepalm and say "I shoulda known". But I have no idea right now, sorry.

Anyway, from the SAL chemistry thread:

Enourmo posted:

Periodic Videos has been busting glass capsules of alkali metals underwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2YrZNahqiw

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

We had some dumbass kid in my chemistry class manage to get the chemical they use to ID fingerprints on his arm. That particular chemical reacts with organic molecules and produces molecules that like to reflect as purple, ie it turns your skin purple. He had a giant sploch of his arm turn purple because he sprayed it all over himself.

Also, new thread title:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > PYF dangerous chemicals/etc:The most metal way to die

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Come to think of it, ever heard of a supersaturated solution? Want to watch a dumbass with his hand in one as the solute comes out of solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy56zzVAaJc

Skip to 2:00 for beautiful schadenfruede.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Come to think of it, ever heard of a supersaturated solution? Want to watch a dumbass with his hand in one as the solute comes out of solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy56zzVAaJc

Skip to 2:00 for beautiful schadenfruede.

And here's someone doing the same thing with no ill effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDZI2rwyHg

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yep. LA Beast kind of hams it up for the camera, because that's where his money comes from. Mind you, he's done a number of other staggeringly stupid things which have done him great harm on occasion, but I'm inclined to believe the hot ice was more bark than bite. It is a pretty neat little trick, and I recall hearing that mild scalding is a concern, but I dunno, is it even possible to gently caress it up that badly?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I dunno, is it even possible to gently caress it up that badly?

Exothermic reactions are no joke. Girl loses 8 fingers after submerging her hands in plaster:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2009/oct/12/girl-loses-fingers-school-art

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yep. LA Beast kind of hams it up for the camera, because that's where his money comes from. Mind you, he's done a number of other staggeringly stupid things which have done him great harm on occasion, but I'm inclined to believe the hot ice was more bark than bite. It is a pretty neat little trick, and I recall hearing that mild scalding is a concern, but I dunno, is it even possible to gently caress it up that badly?

It looks pretty thoroughly staged. I find it hard to believe that was their first and only take. His hand wasn't even red when he pulled it out of the toilet.

Pretty bad acting overall, IMO.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
The sodium acetate tryhydrate should get up to 58C. Water at 55C can cause serious burns in about 5 seconds. There's some differences because of the relative heat capacities and the fact that water can convect, but that's still hot enough to pasteurize your hand. I dunno if NurdRage is using an excess of water or just has incredibly thick skin or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dilb posted:

The sodium acetate tryhydrate should get up to 58C. Water at 55C can cause serious burns in about 5 seconds. There's some differences because of the relative heat capacities and the fact that water can convect, but that's still hot enough to pasteurize your hand. I dunno if NurdRage is using an excess of water or just has incredibly thick skin or something.

You're off by a little bit.

Burn threshold for touching bare metal/water at 55 degrees C is ~9 seconds, but water/bare metal conducts better than just about anything else - for the same effect you'd need to be touching a plastic surface at 70 C or glass/ceramic at 66 c.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Back when I was in HS I went into my science classroom and three chemistry teachers were all crowded around a bunsen burner that had a cone with soapy water inside. Once it got enough bubbles they would ignite them and watch the flames reach the top of a 15 foot ceiling. They also made sure to tell all the students coming in to never do this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Back when I was in HS I went into my science classroom and three chemistry teachers were all crowded around a bunsen burner that had a cone with soapy water inside. Once it got enough bubbles they would ignite them and watch the flames reach the top of a 15 foot ceiling. They also made sure to tell all the students coming in to never do this.

I would attach a rubber hose to the bottom of a glass funnel, then put soap solution in a petri dish. I could blow huge methane bubbles (about 6" across), which would float to the ceiling and I would ignite with a candle taped to the end of a meter stick.

Very big "whoosh" when they ignited.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Deteriorata posted:

I would attach a rubber hose to the bottom of a glass funnel, then put soap solution in a petri dish. I could blow huge methane bubbles (about 6" across), which would float to the ceiling and I would ignite with a candle taped to the end of a meter stick.

Very big "whoosh" when they ignited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMOZGG_2QYc&t=1590s

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

A White Guy posted:

We had some dumbass kid in my chemistry class manage to get the chemical they use to ID fingerprints on his arm. That particular chemical reacts with organic molecules and produces molecules that like to reflect as purple, ie it turns your skin purple. He had a giant sploch of his arm turn purple because he sprayed it all over himself.

There's two very beautifully vivid, very staining purple fingerprint dyes- Gentian Violet, which is hella purple, washes off easily and is incredibly safe (incidentally, they still use a less concentrated solution of it to treat trush in breastfeeding mothers and their babies, you just paint the stuff on the boob and then let the baby feed. Google has some incredible pictures of babies with bright purple grins, looking like freaky little aliens)

And then there's the one I suspect your dumbass friend used, which is called ninhydrin, and reacts beautifully with the amino acids in your body to produce a colour known as Ruhemann's purple. It's a remarkably effective developer of fingerprints on paper when dissolved in acetone or methanol and the paper then gently heated in humid conditions. Although care must be taken to have analysis of the contents and writing of the paper done beforehand as the methanol solvent tends to dissolve the ink. (And it's freaking hilarious when it happened in the forensic science unit at my old college too, there's always one kid who ignores the teachers instructions in the fingerprints unit, does his document analysis out of sync and then squeals like a baby as the written evidence gently dissolves away in the ninhydrin bath.)

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, slight aside but I've been trying to remember the title of a book about industrial chemistry of similar vintage to "Ignition!" written by a guy who ran a fine chemicals company in the US and the strange orders he fulfilled over the years. Several of them were of the "Things I will not work with" variety.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Munin posted:

Btw, slight aside but I've been trying to remember the title of a book about industrial chemistry of similar vintage to "Ignition!" written by a guy who ran a fine chemicals company in the US and the strange orders he fulfilled over the years. Several of them were of the "Things I will not work with" variety.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?

You're probably thinking of "Excuse me sir, would you like to buy a kilo of isopropyl bromide?" by Max G. Gergel.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That's the one!

To no one's surprise the place where he had his chemical works only narrowly missed being an EPA superfund site.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crossposting from the comic strip megathread

'elpful 'enry (1926)

seems to be an accurate methods paper for the nastier stuff in this thread.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It does boggle the mind what sort of poo poo was once handled with little more than a leather apron and either too much or too little will to live.

Actually that's still kind of true sometimes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Marie Curie

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

RIP Marie Curie

Marie Curie forced her lab employees to work with the same non-existent safety standards she did, even after it was long known that the radiation they work with makes people very sick. She told them it'd be fiiiiine and safety wasn't nearly as important as getting the science done in time. Most of her workers died of cancer at a young age because of that. She was a horrible employer.

Sorry if I just destroyed the good image of your idol.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She was just who I pulled up out of general knowledge as 'worked with unsafe poo poo in unsafe conditions' where's any idol worship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

She was just who I pulled up out of general knowledge as 'worked with unsafe poo poo in unsafe conditions' where's any idol worship?

I meant it more as a general thing than directed at you. Some people see her as THE icon of women in science.