Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Where does dark matter exist? Is it only in "blobs" out in interstellar and intergalactic space? Or is there perhaps some here on Earth in some quantity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Weird poo poo happens in my email box: ok, so teacher sends an email to the whole class, asking us if we received his previous email: I haven't and apparently I'm not the only one. How do I know? Well for some reason people replying to him have their messages sent to my email box as well. They're replying to each other and I get to see the conversation. How weird is that?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

El Jeffe posted:

Where does dark matter exist? Is it only in "blobs" out in interstellar and intergalactic space? Or is there perhaps some here on Earth in some quantity?

IIRC, mainly within galaxies, distributed in a halo around (and bigger than) the galaxy, decreasing in density from the galactic core.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

IIRC, mainly within galaxies, distributed in a halo around (and bigger than) the galaxy, decreasing in density from the galactic core.

Does that mean that there could be some in the space of our own solar system, albeit at very low density?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Kumquat posted:

Couldn't find a good thread for this so:
I'm looking into getting contact lenses again for the first time since 2006. Does brand matter at all or is it super subjective and I should be fine regardless of what brand I purchase?

I have only used one brand, but if you buy online you have to make sure you buy the right ones with all the exact same specifications for your eyes.

I didn't have much of a choice between brands as there was I think only 2 companies that made the exact prescription and size that I was fitted for, and you do have to get fitted for contacts as the prescription is different from your glasses. So I had a choice between one companies dailies and one companies monthlies.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

El Jeffe posted:

Does that mean that there could be some in the space of our own solar system, albeit at very low density?

Presumably. This paper says a density in the local area of 0.3 GeV/cm3, so about a third of a proton per cubic cm.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I have a little bluetooth device that plugs into the aux in jack in my car so I can listen to my music and take calls, etc. It's this, if that matters. As you can see, there's one big "call" button on the front and smaller forward/backward buttons on the top. In the past, if I was playing music in my music player (I use amazon music), left the car, came back shortly, and hit the "call/play" button, the music would start back up where I left it. If I closed the music app, it'd just bring up my call dialer.

Recently, however, the main button has been bringing up Google Play and just playing whatever random poo poo it feels like. I don't use Google Play. I don't want to start using Google Play. I can't get this loving thing to stop bringing up Google Play. There's no settings in the Play app or in bluetooth settings that I could find that would allow me to disable bluetooth from pulling it up.

I downloaded This fuckin app and told it to bring up amazon music, or google's voice search instead, but it didn't work for either.

Is there a different third party app or some setting I'm missing to make this poo poo stop? It's so frustrating to KNOW amazon music is open and paused on my phone, hit the play button, and have Google loving Play spring open and start playing my loving ringtones folder. It never used to do this and I haven't the slightest idea what's changed, but I hate it.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Can't offer a solution, but for what it's worth, the same thing started happening to me after my phone OS upgraded to Lollipop (5.1). I always listen to Pocket Casts in the car, but a few times it's decided to start Google Play instead, even though I've never used it before.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Presumably. This paper says a density in the local area of 0.3 GeV/cm3, so about a third of a proton per cubic cm.

Thanks! That makes me wonder if it would be possible to collect it with a space probe. Although, any DM collected would be a drop in a bucket of dust and other crap it also picks up.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

El Jeffe posted:

Thanks! That makes me wonder if it would be possible to collect it with a space probe. Although, any DM collected would be a drop in a bucket of dust and other crap it also picks up.

Only if the particles would interact with a collector, and so far it looks like they don't.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Exactly, the problem with dark matter is not that it's far away, it that it's impossible to get a hold of. It's like touching a ghost, except the ghost is invisible and there is no ectoplasm.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Ok, I knew that DM doesn't interact with the EM force, but I did not know it doesn't interact with ordinary matter at all. Thanks for the info guys.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
What is being said in this theme song?

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/leah-remini-its-all-relative/videos/its-all-relative/

We're from Brooklyn, with lots of sass

Made a Hollywood life out of being _______?

It's bothering me and the wife and Google is not helping.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

kolby posted:

What is being said in this theme song?

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/leah-remini-its-all-relative/videos/its-all-relative/

We're from Brooklyn, with lots of sass

Made a Hollywood life out of being _______?

It's bothering me and the wife and Google is not helping.

Crass?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Where is the best thread to ask about getting my EU passport? I was in the process, then 9/11 happened and everything changed.

Now I'm 31 and need to get this done while I still have living relatives who aren't American.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Trastion posted:

Can anyone tell me what kid of mushrooms these are? Or point me to the thread for that sort of thing. I searched but couldn't find it. Thanks.

These popped up within a few days in a friends yard in western Michigan.

Some sort of Armillaria mushroom is my guess. Compare with http://www.mushroomexpert.com/armillaria_tabescens.html and http://www.mushroomexpert.com/armillaria_mellea.html . If so, it's edible, but inhibits the body's ability to detox alcohol, so no booze 24 hours before or after eating them. There are deadly poisonous lookalikes (Galerina spp.) that can occur nearby, so don't eat them unless you know what you're doing.

Armillaria tend to cause Armillaria root rot, which can kill trees.

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Kurtofan posted:

Weird poo poo happens in my email box: ok, so teacher sends an email to the whole class, asking us if we received his previous email: I haven't and apparently I'm not the only one. How do I know? Well for some reason people replying to him have their messages sent to my email box as well. They're replying to each other and I get to see the conversation. How weird is that?

Have you checked your spam folder?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Where is the best thread to ask about getting my EU passport? I was in the process, then 9/11 happened and everything changed.

Now I'm 31 and need to get this done while I still have living relatives who aren't American.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/apply.html?siteID=Google_IC_Cuba_cuban_tours

Just a regular passport is needed I am p sure.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Disappointing egg posted:

What about something like =IF(SUM(F$1:F3)>SUM(F$1:F2),SUM(F$1:F3),""), which would avoid the hidden column?

Thanks. I tried this on your suggestion.

This may be a function of having to use old versions, but if I blank the display of cell by assigning "" , then formulas expecting a numerical value seem to error out. So I have the number set as zero in the hidden cell for call by another formula, and then just have a display column.

I am not at an Excel power user, so I may well be making other errors, but it seems like the functions using the nulled cell error with the message (The operator "+" expects a number, date, or duration but found "."), which I take it it is shorthand for undefined value.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I apologize if I'm missing something but isn't this site for getting a US passport? I've got that covered.

My father is a naturalized US citizen (born in Bermuda to British parents) and when I was little they wanted me to have dual citizenship for mobility reasons. When 9/11 happened I was a senior in highschool then college kept me busy and I've let things get behind. I'd like to get my EU passport, as my grandfather believes it's far easier for me to accomplish while he is alive. He turns 85 soon.

I appreciate the help.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

El Jeffe posted:

Ok, I knew that DM doesn't interact with the EM force, but I did not know it doesn't interact with ordinary matter at all. Thanks for the info guys.

If it did not interact with ordinary matter at all, it would not matter though, right?

Isn't the Dark Matter gravitationally interacting, thus being suspected to exist in the first place?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 25, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Log posted:

I apologize if I'm missing something but isn't this site for getting a US passport? I've got that covered.

My father is a naturalized US citizen (born in Bermuda to British parents) and when I was little they wanted me to have dual citizenship for mobility reasons. When 9/11 happened I was a senior in highschool then college kept me busy and I've let things get behind. I'd like to get my EU passport, as my grandfather believes it's far easier for me to accomplish while he is alive. He turns 85 soon.

I appreciate the help.

Oh my gosh I massively misread the original post's meaning! Em each member state of the EU has it's own passport so the consulate/embassy for whatever country would be the place to start. I assume it's the British one you want. I would google it but mine is just giving me the British one in Ireland!

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why wasnt Hamlet made king?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

EmmyOk posted:

Oh my gosh I massively misread the original post's meaning! Em each member state of the EU has it's own passport so the consulate/embassy for whatever country would be the place to start. I assume it's the British one you want. I would google it but mine is just giving me the British one in Ireland!

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/check-if-you-can-apply

My family always thought citizenship to the UK would be a birthright of mine but I haven't the faintest idea who I would call to ak about that. I guess the embassy? gently caress I wish they figured this out back in the 90's. There is a big file of stuf when we tried to do this when I was young. There was some thought that I might live abroad. But it tapered off. I'd just like to know if dual citizenship is feasible or if I should give up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Captain Log posted:

My family always thought citizenship to the UK would be a birthright of mine but I haven't the faintest idea who I would call to ak about that. I guess the embassy? gently caress I wish they figured this out back in the 90's. There is a big file of stuf when we tried to do this when I was young. There was some thought that I might live abroad. But it tapered off. I'd just like to know if dual citizenship is feasible or if I should give up.

A girl I know has an Irish Mother and Hungarian father and was born in the states and has dual Irish and American citizenship. I'll message her and ask how she set it up! Just remembered now.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Porkface posted:

Why wasnt Hamlet made king?

If I remember correctly:
Uncle kills king, making queen ruling monarch.
Uncle marries queen, making uncle ruling monarch.
then everyone died at the end

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

If I remember correctly:
Uncle kills king, making queen ruling monarch.
Uncle marries queen, making uncle ruling monarch.
then everyone died at the end

This is correct. The reason it seems weird to people is that most people's knowledge of succession comes from the English system of primogeniture. Under that, Hamlet would have ascended the throne upon the death of his father, with his mother becoming the Queen Mother. Even if the uncle married the Queen Mother at that point in time, all that would have happened is he would have been the Prince Consort.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Memento posted:

This is correct. The reason it seems weird to people is that most people's knowledge of succession comes from the English system of primogeniture. Under that, Hamlet would have ascended the throne upon the death of his father, with his mother becoming the Queen Mother. Even if the uncle married the Queen Mother at that point in time, all that would have happened is he would have been the Prince Consort.

How come they have a queen and prince phillip but no king atm? It all seems so complicated!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

How come they have a queen and prince phillip but no king atm? It all seems so complicated!

The only person who gets to be called king is a male monarch. Since the current monarch is female, there is no king. Both female monarchs and the wives of king are called queens, but they're completely different positions. Marrying a king does not put you in line for the throne (and nor does marrying any other member of the royal family).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

Ever since (I think) Mary I, the eldest child can ascend the throne regardless of gender, but only if there's no male heir. If there's something your average royal family loves, it's a precedent! The princes and princesses (Charles, Phillip, George, Charlotte, Harry, Andrew, Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, Anne, in that order) will then ascend the throne as needed. Every time a new baby comes along, everything changes.

So the Queen was it after George the VI kicked on without a son, and her husband, the Awesome Racist Prince Phillip, doesn't get to be king just because he shacked up with her.

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's also the line "stepped in between the election and my hopes" - the Danish monarchy was elective until the 1660s and it's quite in Cladius' character to lobby the voters, especially as Hamlet was away at school at the time.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

In Dune, how come the Emperor gave Arrakis to the Atreides, only to plot against them by disguising Sardaukar as Harkonnen? What was the point of the changeover, which would only presumably disrupt the spice supply, if you're just going to restore the status quo?

It's never stated that the Emperor especially hates the Atreides or likes the Harkonnen, and it's even revealed that Duke Leto is a relation to the Emperor.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

In Dune, how come the Emperor gave Arrakis to the Atreides, only to plot against them by disguising Sardaukar as Harkonnen? What was the point of the changeover, which would only presumably disrupt the spice supply, if you're just going to restore the status quo?

It's never stated that the Emperor especially hates the Atreides or likes the Harkonnen, and it's even revealed that Duke Leto is a relation to the Emperor.

The Atreides had developed their army to within an inch of the level of the Sardaukar. Possibly even exceeding them in prowess. They were smaller than the Sardaukar in numbers, but House Atreides were seen as a group that could have been the seed of a rebellion against the empire. But if the Emperor moved against them directly, the other great houses would have banded together against them, because if Atriedes wasn't safe from imperial wrath, who was? So they gave them the stewardship over Arrakis, knowing that planet to be a crucible in which great houses were either forged or scorched, and sent in the Harkonnen and disguised Sardaukar to tip the balance towards the latter.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Memento posted:

The Atreides had developed their army to within an inch of the level of the Sardaukar. Possibly even exceeding them in prowess. They were smaller than the Sardaukar in numbers, but House Atreides were seen as a group that could have been the seed of a rebellion against the empire. But if the Emperor moved against them directly, the other great houses would have banded together against them, because if Atriedes wasn't safe from imperial wrath, who was? So they gave them the stewardship over Arrakis, knowing that planet to be a crucible in which great houses were either forged or scorched, and sent in the Harkonnen and disguised Sardaukar to tip the balance towards the latter.

I thought it was a plot point that only the Fremen were equal/ superior to the Sardaukar? Caladan wasn't exactly a hellworld that would make such superior troops.

Also, if the Atreides forces were equal to the Sardaukar, how would lower numbers of the Sards beat them? It would only take one captured Sard to spark a Lansraad vs Empire war.

Thanks for the answer, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
At the start of the book, Leto was more popular than the Emperor, and the unofficial voice of the Landsraad. Giving them Arrakis was supposed to deplete them and make them unpopular, riven by conflict with the Spacers' Guild and the other great houses over the Spice. Then, when they realised that if the Atreides recruited the Fremen, they could make their army better and bigger than the Emperor's, they sent in the Sardaukar.

I found the quote I was after:

quote:

Hawat: The Padishah Emperor turned against House Atreides because the Duke's Warmasters Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho had trained a fighting force -- a small fighting force -- to within a hair as good as the Sardaukar. Some of them were even better. And the Duke was in a position to enlarge his force, to makeit every bit as strong as the Emperor's.
Baron: What has Arrakis to do with this?
Hawat: It provides a pool of recruits already conditioned to the bitterest survival training.

So I had the order of events mixed up. The Emperor was concerned about the power Leto had in the Landsraad, so sent them to Arrakis to deplete them, even before the army thing became a concern. Then, when it did, he sent in the Sardaukar, when he felt he had no choice. He also thought that he could rely on the Harkonnen, already second only in power to the Atreides, who would be in his debt after he supported them to take Arrakis and the income from Spice.

If you google "dune pdf" the first link is a searchable PDF of the Frank Herbert books, which was handy for this refresher for me. I didn't link it in case :filez:

Memento fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 25, 2015

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

kapalama posted:

If it did not interact with ordinary matter at all, it would not matter though, right?

Isn't the Dark Matter gravitationally interacting, thus being suspected to exist in the first place?

Dark Matter does interact gravitationally with normal matter. Its gravity interaction is why we suspect it exists in the first place. The rotation rates of large objects like galaxies and clusters of galaxies cannot currently be explained without a lot of extra mass. It does not interact with normal matter through Electromagnetism, so we cant detect it with our normal methods, hence the named Dark Matter. It does not interact with the strong force because it seems to be stable, not decaying over time. The weak force is still up for debate, some proposed forms of Dark Matter interact with it, some don't.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

OneTwentySix posted:

Some sort of Armillaria mushroom is my guess. Compare with http://www.mushroomexpert.com/armillaria_tabescens.html and http://www.mushroomexpert.com/armillaria_mellea.html . If so, it's edible, but inhibits the body's ability to detox alcohol, so no booze 24 hours before or after eating them. There are deadly poisonous lookalikes (Galerina spp.) that can occur nearby, so don't eat them unless you know what you're doing.

Armillaria tend to cause Armillaria root rot, which can kill trees.

Awesome, Thanks.

those look similar but its hard to tell because they all look the same to me. :)
I will pass on the info though. Is/was there a forum or thread for identifying this sort of stuff?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Nm.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How do I resize images? I need to send pictures but they get refused because they're too big.

Schweinhund posted:

Have you checked your spam folder?

Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kurtofan posted:

How do I resize images? I need to send pictures but they get refused because they're too big.

You can resize them with Paint (Windows < 10), paint.net, or I don't know what on Mac OSX.