Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Haha yeah it's probably my phone as I didn't really adjust anything though those lights are terrible and take forever to warm up.

Anyway, I also tried it out with my 42". Might be a bit overkill and I need to figure out some good FOV settings.

Also think that the seat might be a bit low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That looks like a perfect FOV, actually. Ideally, things on the screen should be their real-life size.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Harminoff posted:

Haha yeah it's probably my phone as I didn't really adjust anything though those lights are terrible and take forever to warm up.

Anyway, I also tried it out with my 42". Might be a bit overkill and I need to figure out some good FOV settings.

Also think that the seat might be a bit low.

No need to figure something out, it's pure mathematics and there is only one correct value: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

Edit: I moved my monitor from behind the CSW base to on top of it to gain 5° FOV :haw:

Edit2: If that's a TV it probably has terrible lag.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 23, 2015

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

KillHour posted:

That looks like a perfect FOV, actually. Ideally, things on the screen should be their real-life size.

Adjusting the FOV to the size of the given viewport cuts out things that may be seen with your peripheral vision. This is all subjective, but I'd rather have a high FOV on a single monitor and see more.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Proper FOV isn't a subjective thing.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Norns posted:

Proper FOV isn't a subjective thing.

Wasn't commenting on proper FOV, but rather, that FOV is subjective without considering "properness". At that point, it's a matter of taste. Image distortion vs. increased visibility.

I agree, there is a proper FOV for realism, but that may narrow the viewport too much to be useful.

Ganondork fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 24, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
FOV is objective. When you have your fov set properly, you will drive better because everything is the right scale. You solve the peripheral vision issue with spottter, relative windows, and look left/right buttons.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork

Cojawfee posted:

FOV is objective. When you have your fov set properly, you will drive better because everything is the right scale.

Good point, I could see the image distortion making cornering accuracy more difficult or, well, odd. I'll have to give this FOV calculator a try.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Unrealistically high FOV driving prioritizes some nebulous "sense of speed" and your peripheral vision (which is easily accounted for where it matters with mirrors and glance buttons) over all the other things about vision that make turning and gauging distances/angles easy. The funhouse mirror effect doesn't matter so much in Quake, but it's almost like intentionally wearing drunk goggles and somehow convincing yourself it's giving you an advantage when you're playing a racing sim.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Imo we overthink this, slam all the gears and never lift bithc

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Unrealistically high FOV driving prioritizes some nebulous "sense of speed"

Yeah, it's a false sense of speed bought for the price of a complete distortion of distances.

Edit: I have a TrackIR though, so adjusting was easy for me since I can just look around.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 24, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tim Wheatley posted:

That's right! We're very happy to confirm that rFactor 2 will be joining rFactor 1, and available on the Steam platform in the near future! This is an exciting step for us, as it exposes our software to a much wider audience, an audience that we think is beginning to appreciate simulations more than ever before.

We've put together an announcement trailer, we hope you enjoy it! (Yes, there are some tasty previews of the Stock Cars... When will they be released? You'll be racing them this weekend!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=117&v=7OvC_MdYsQM

It's about time. Hopefully that also means a push to get all the content into a consistent "release" state.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

GhostDog posted:

It's about time. Hopefully that also means a push to get all the content into a consistent "release" state.

Is the AI any good? I wouldn't mind picking it up for offline stock car racing so I can screw around with it without having to go online in iRacing. If I don't buy the lifetime thing, do I still get free content updates? If I understood correctly that is just for lifetime multiplayer access, and from what I've heard multiplayer is pretty dead anyway. (And I have iRacing for multiplayer so doesn't matter much to me)

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

FOV is objective. When you have your fov set properly, you will drive better because everything is the right scale. You solve the peripheral vision issue with spottter, relative windows, and look left/right buttons.

This is right. I have an annoying friend that likes to see more and sets it higher because reasons. My proper FOV I can't even seen the tacho. So I use an app that gives me shift tones, because seeing the tacho isn't worth poo poo in comparison to actually seeing the track and oncoming objects properly.

Do whatever you like in the car, you can drive around in first gear if you want too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Torabi posted:

Is the AI any good? I wouldn't mind picking it up for offline stock car racing so I can screw around with it without having to go online in iRacing. If I don't buy the lifetime thing, do I still get free content updates? If I understood correctly that is just for lifetime multiplayer access, and from what I've heard multiplayer is pretty dead anyway. (And I have iRacing for multiplayer so doesn't matter much to me)

You get the content updates no matter what, the lifetime pass thing is just for online racing which is only really relevant if you race in a league that uses rFactor 2 (which for now is really only endurance leagues). The AI is pretty good on road courses, but ovals not so much at least not in the Indycar. Maybe they'll do some work on it for the release of the stock cars but I have my doubts. My expectations for those are basically that they're going to just release the stock cars, which means there'll be 2 ovals to actually race on. They can't rely on mods to fill in the gaps either since virtually no-one is making mods for it, even after they released those new tools to make converting rFactor mods easier.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

"FOV is objective" is hilarious. I play with 90 and it's cool and I like it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

K

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Eyud posted:

"FOV is objective" is hilarious. I play with 90 and it's cool and I like it.

I bet you get a great view of everyone passing you.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I do but that's because I'm not very good at racing, not because my FOV is too high.

Eyud fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 25, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not very fast.

I ignore the advice of people that are fast.

I am a Goon.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Eyud posted:

I do but that's because I'm not very good at racing, not because my FOV is too high.

You are of course free to play however you like. However, should you ever give it a try for more than the two minutes it takes to go "this feels too slow" you might find you are better at racing than you think. Placing the front wheel just right there on the inside curb where you want it? Getting close to the wall coming out of a corner? Not smashing into cars in the braking zones? These things should be kinda easy to pull off consistenly (as long as you're not overdriving), and guess what? With the right FOV they are. I'm now actually starting to learn how to race instead of being busy placing the car right. I race against AI in the few days since changing my FOV I raised the difficulty across all games by more than I managed for months before.

Edit: I'm just trying to help you man. Come into the light with us.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 25, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

:derp: posted:

I feel ill, this is the most depressing news I have had EVER.
I knew it was just a matter of time before it happened, just like it wont be long before the desktop launcher becomes obsolete.
This to me feels like the death of simulation racing and the door of simcade has just hammered the final nail and it is now been lowered into the ground.
Oh! I will mourn, weep and now lick my wounds and count the cost I have put in to watch my favourite sim cross through the door to the arcade world of push button joypad junkies that is Steam.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I will dance on the desktop launcher's grave the second I don't have to use rF2's package manager to install mods.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FOV chat gets me idly looking at the costs for ultrawide and triple screen setups :negative:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Helicon One posted:

FOV chat gets me idly looking at the costs for ultrawide and triple screen setups :negative:

ha, i'll still never spend the grand its gonna take for 2 more 1440 p monitors :smith:

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
One can only hope Oculus will make everything else obsolete. :awesomelon:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

ha, i'll still never spend the grand its gonna take for 2 more 1440 p monitors :smith:

It'll be more than that, because you'll need a ton more horsepower from your video card(s). That's why I'm sticking with triple 1080, there are plenty of pixels to render at that resolution.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

OhsH posted:

I settled for 3 vg248qe monitors while I wait for vr

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm still torn between making my christmas present a T300/TX or triple screens.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Which wheel do you currently have and do you also play console racing games? If you have a logitech or fanatec wheel and stay on the PC get the monitors. If you have no wheel, or also have an xbox one, get the tx. if you have no wheel or also have a ps4 get a t300.

Or sell a kidney and get the monitors and a tx/t300.

A thrustmaster wheel is better than a logitech or fanatec (not including clubsport) but it's not worth the price of upgrading unless you also want current gen console compatibility.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GhostDog posted:

SKY IS FALLING, THE END OF SIM RACING posted:
I feel ill, this is the most depressing news I have had EVER.
I knew it was just a matter of time before it happened, just like it wont be long before the desktop launcher becomes obsolete.
This to me feels like the death of simulation racing and the door of simcade has just hammered the final nail and it is now been lowered into the ground.
Oh! I will mourn, weep and now lick my wounds and count the cost I have put in to watch my favourite sim cross through the door to the arcade world of push button joypad junkies that is Steam.

I bet this guy fought tooth and nail when games started to move into 64-bit and did not want to give up his Windows XP.

Then years before that was mad about graphics cards being required.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Which wheel do you currently have and do you also play console racing games? If you have a logitech or fanatec wheel and stay on the PC get the monitors. If you have no wheel, or also have an xbox one, get the tx. if you have no wheel or also have a ps4 get a t300.

Or sell a kidney and get the monitors and a tx/t300.

A thrustmaster wheel is better than a logitech or fanatec (not including clubsport) but it's not worth the price of upgrading unless you also want current gen console compatibility.

I have a G27 and only really play on the PC, it's too much effort to take my wheel and drag it over to the PS4/Xbone. Though if GT7 ever comes out I might end up bringing the PS4 over to the rig and doing it that way.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Then years before that was mad about graphics cards being required.

REAL sim racers drive with just the telemetry data, matrix style.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What's the easiest/most fun car to hoon around a track with the tail out that won't just constantly spin out?

I want to be Clarkson reviewing supercars drifting around all silly like. Can this be done in pCars? Something like "teach me how to drift" mode.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
300 SEL in Project Cars.
Skip Barber in rFactor 2.
Opala in Stock Car Extreme.

None of them supercars though, just super cars.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

GhostDog posted:

300 SEL in Project Cars.

This was excellent advice, thank you.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
The Ginetta G40 Junior in Project Cars might be another one to try. I know I'm having a blast with it after the horror that is LMP1's in Monaco.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Helicon One posted:

Triple ultrawide :getin:

aspect ratio of three 21:9 (really it should be written as 7:3) screens is 7:1 (or 63:9 or 21:3)

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

AnimalChin posted:

This was excellent advice, thank you.

I thought the old ford in the same class was a more controllable drift. https://youtu.be/rA5rkBrpJJw whatever car this one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

I'm still torn between making my christmas present a T300/TX or triple screens.

Don't get three monitors. If you currently have three monitors, go with it. If you don't have three monitors, wait for the Rift or Vive. Even with the low resolution of the DK2, you're actually in the car and it's amazing. There's so much depth. At the very least, find someone to let you try VR when it comes out before going with three screens. The extra peripheral of three screen is nice, but you can't place the car as well as you can with a rift.

• Locked thread