Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it was just a blackbird.

Aphrodite posted:

Will Smith pronounces Earth normally in Independence Day, you racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

spite house posted:

Yeah, it's handled so well that it didn't even occur to me how unusual it is to have that much Spanish in a mainstream American show. I guess if you expect the Netflix crowd to sit through all those subtitles, it might seem necessary to shoehorn in a boring whitebread audience proxy. God he's boring -- and it's totally implausible that he'd be undercover in Bogota with no Spanish at all. I hope we get more bilingual TV though.

Yeah that and having to move his wife around with him in hostile foreign countries as an undercover agent, I guess that happens but I dunno. Him not speaking Spanish was just like, a huge joke. It makes no sense, except I guess that Americans just dont' give a gently caress? :911:

Anyways it gives an excuse to have Pedro Pascal's character who is waaaaaaaaay better than agent whitebread.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spite house posted:

and it's totally implausible that he'd be undercover in Bogota with no Spanish at all.

That part actually happened, though? I mean, it's based on a true story, and the hunt for Escobar is kind of important in that it motivated a lot of what he did, so I don't know why they'd leave out one of the people leading the investigation.

Speaking of implausible, I do wish they kept the way that Gacha died true to real life. Instead of being shot like he was in the TV show, he pulled the pin on a grenade and held it to his head when he saw his son died.. That's one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" things that there's no way you could get an audience to buy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of implausible, I do wish they kept the way that Gacha died true to real life. Instead of being shot like he was in the TV show, he pulled the pin on a grenade and held it to his head when he saw his son died.. That's one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" things that there's no way you could get an audience to buy.

Oh poo poo :stare: That's hardcore.

My IMM is that they got Guzman to play Gacha. He's just waaaaaaaaay too recognizable. Otherwise Pedro Pascal is the only actor I recognize and I only know him from a brief role in Game of Thrones. Everybody just feels like authentic characters and then in comes Guzman and its like every Hollywood film ever made about Hispanic gangsters. Guzman is good as the intimidating bad guy, but he's just too much. He feels like a cartoon character at times in the middle of a bunch of real criminals.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo :stare: That's hardcore.

My IMM is that they got Guzman to play Gacha. He's just waaaaaaaaay too recognizable. Otherwise Pedro Pascal is the only actor I recognize and I only know him from a brief role in Game of Thrones. Everybody just feels like authentic characters and then in comes Guzman and its like every Hollywood film ever made about Hispanic gangsters. Guzman is good as the intimidating bad guy, but he's just too much. He feels like a cartoon character at times in the middle of a bunch of real criminals.

I don't think you understand that your original reaction there, where you said 'Oh poo poo :stare: That's hardcore.' was because Gacha actually was that intensely crazy. Go read up on it, that dude is actually playing it way straight. He's the Audie Murphy of the Colombian Drug Cartels in terms of his stories having to be toned down to be believed.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Frostwerks posted:

Those days are gone man and likely not coming back.

Hopefully CGI will become good enough soon(ish) that the lack of practical effects will be a non-issue. An actor doesn't react well to the CGI? gently caress it, replace him with a digital-double and make the fucker flinch. They already use digital doubles way more than people realise so it's just a matter of time before nobody cares about CGI over practical because they can't ever tell.

Lots of people seem surprised about the amount of practical in Mad Max when they first find out so they obviously would have been happy if it was CGI - and there's a poo poo ton of cgi in that movie and I doubt a majority of the people praising it for doing so much practically could point out where each is used in the movie.

I guess some people will always complain about it but I think it's like ebooks vs paperbacks. *mic drop*

hottubrhymemachine has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Sep 24, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

therobotking posted:

Lots of people seem surprised about the amount of practical in Mad Max when they first find out so they obviously would have been happy if it was CGI - and there's a poo poo ton of cgi in that movie and I doubt a majority of the people praising it for doing so much practically could point out where each is used in the movie.

This doesn't make sense. When people find out its practical they're surprised, ergo they would have liked CG just as much? Only if the CG looked exactly as the practical did? And that's the whole point; for lots of situations CG still doesn't look as good as practical. If it did nobody would care but it doesn't so that's the whole point.

There is a ton of CG in movies that people don't realize, really subtle transitions like in batman begins when the batmobile gets knocked around it starts as a real physical batmobile but then after the impact the image of the batmobile flipping through the air is CG, and they blend between the two so smoothly and quickly you don't realize anything's changed. That's a good use of CG.

I absolutely could point out what in Mad Max was practical and what was CG, although maybe I'm not the typical moviegoer. Funny enough some of the CG in Mad Max actually didn't look so great, but most of the scenes were done really smart where they used practical effects for the main up-close details (and even recorded at-speed for many shots, but not all) but then used CG to composite in additional cars or explosions which would be dangerous to have close to the other cars / actors. And many times the things they're CG-ing in are still practical effects, just recorded separately and layered in. That's not really what people mean when they say CG is bad. You're oversimplifying it.

The only things in Mad Max that were like purely CG and not a little bit practical were the Citadel (which actually looked like a bad blue-screen job when people were placed into it) and the thunderstorm, which was cool but we were able to do realistic CG tornadoes in the 90s. That's easy.

We're still a long long way from being able to do CG people that are indistinguishable from real people and don't fall into the uncanny valley. We're getting better but there's a good reason why Pixar usually avoids people and does things like cars and fish instead, and when they do actually do people they usually make them really cartoony and stylized (The Incredibles, Up)

I studied rendering in college and I think we're still 10+ years away from being able to do truly convincing human performances. It works okay for quick action shots and for inanimate objects but if you're doing real people and you need to see them act, you have to go cartoony and stylized if you don't want uncanny valley.

This like this come close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-pF56-ZYkY but audiences would still find them creepy.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Sep 24, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Will Smith pronounces Earth normally in Independence Day, you racist.

Whoa, calm down bish

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To completely make a CGI person sure, but they've already done stuff like Paul Walker in Fast and Furious with existing footage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't see the problem with Murphy in Narcos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

To completely make a CGI person sure, but they've already done stuff like Paul Walker in Fast and Furious with existing footage.

Sure but they did the same thing in The Crow without the CG :cheeky:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Talking of Narcos, cool thing I read was that the guy who plays Escobar is actually Brazilian, and thus had to learn Spanish in order to play the role.

I admit I'm not great on South American accents but he sounds really authentic, definitely different to European Spanish.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Gaunab posted:

Yeah, the entertainment industry is hesitant to about putting non-white people in leading roles because they think it won't sell well.

White people do tend to throw a bit of a hissy fit whenever it does happen so I guess I can understand their trepidation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

So what's you take on CGI?

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
It's weird watching Capitan Nascimiento working with his mortal enemies. (Wagner Moura basically plays Carillo in the Elite Squad series).

Mister Nobody has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Sep 24, 2015

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I don't see the problem with Murphy in Narcos.
He's just not nearly as interesting as the rest of the show. If the show were worse, he wouldn't stand out as much.

Know how you go to Denny's and order a Grand Slam Breakfast, right, and it's got pancakes and eggs and sausage and bacon and hash browns, all good, and it also comes with toast for some reason, and the waitress asks "wheat or white" and you say "wheat I guess" but it doesn't really matter, and the whole time it just sits there on its little plate getting clammy and sad and you don't care about it at all because it's not why you went to Denny's? Murphy is the toast of Narcos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Interestingly apparently George Miller wanted Mad Max to be in Black and White. Some fans put together and B&W cut called "Mad Max Black and Chrome" and its cool... but I think I prefer the theatrical release in that case.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

I absolutely could point out what in Mad Max was practical and what was CG, although maybe I'm not the typical moviegoer. Funny enough some of the CG in Mad Max actually didn't look so great, but most of the scenes were done really smart where they used practical effects for the main up-close details (and even recorded at-speed for many shots, but not all) but then used CG to composite in additional cars or explosions which would be dangerous to have close to the other cars / actors. And many times the things they're CG-ing in are still practical effects, just recorded separately and layered in.

There's a scene where a steering wheel and a guitar come flying at the camera after an explosion and I turned to my friend and said something like "well, I think I can see what's CG here!"

But nope - all practical (but CG rig-removal and composited, mind you.)

At 57 seconds in on this video, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you're into behind-the-scenes stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGz3b1YpiTs

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

spite house posted:

He's just not nearly as interesting as the rest of the show. If the show were worse, he wouldn't stand out as much.

Know how you go to Denny's and order a Grand Slam Breakfast, right, and it's got pancakes and eggs and sausage and bacon and hash browns, all good, and it also comes with toast for some reason, and the waitress asks "wheat or white" and you say "wheat I guess" but it doesn't really matter, and the whole time it just sits there on its little plate getting clammy and sad and you don't care about it at all because it's not why you went to Denny's? Murphy is the toast of Narcos.

Wait, you're supposed to put your eggs or your meat on your toast, and eat it like that. So which TV show am I putting on which before I consume it?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure but they did the same thing in The Crow without the CG :cheeky:

They absolutely did have a stand-in with Brandon Lee's face CG'd onto him in a few shots. Most notably the scene when he's standing at the window during The Cure song.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Aphrodite posted:

They've been doing stuff like that since loving Gladiator, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gromit posted:

There's a scene where a steering wheel and a guitar come flying at the camera after an explosion and I turned to my friend and said something like "well, I think I can see what's CG here!"

But nope - all practical (but CG rig-removal and composited, mind you.)

At 57 seconds in on this video, but the whole thing is worth a watch if you're into behind-the-scenes stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGz3b1YpiTs

Yep, like I said the CG was mostly just used for composite scenes, and then the citadel and the thunderstorm were pure CG, but not much else was. Oh, Furiosa's arm, obviously.

I've seen lots of Mad Max behind the scenes, but not that specific video. Cool link.

sticklefifer posted:

They absolutely did have a stand-in with Brandon Lee's face CG'd onto him in a few shots. Most notably the scene when he's standing at the window during The Cure song.

Oh, I thought it was all just editing exiting footage old-school. Huh.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Sep 25, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The only thing that bothered me about Furiosa's arm in Mad Max was that you could tell it had mass below the elbow, but that'd be super hard to fake as an actor.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaphod42 posted:

Interestingly apparently George Miller wanted Mad Max to be in Black and White. Some fans put together and B&W cut called "Mad Max Black and Chrome" and its cool... but I think I prefer the theatrical release in that case.

Yes. Filming in black and white you're going to light entirely differently from shooting in color, you don't just desaturate a color film and wind up with anything that looks like a film shot in B&W.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

I've seen lots of Mad Max behind the scenes, but not that specific video. Cool link.

Every few weeks I take a look at https://www.fxguide.com to see what they have. It's a great place to check out movie CG, and is usually aimed at tech guys so it isn't just fluff pieces with the actors.

One of my favourites is about Maleficent - http://www.fxguide.com/featured/maleficent/
Some of the material in there is just :psyboom:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wait, they actually model the blood flow under the skin to make the skin look right rather than just repainting the surface?

Mind. loving. blown.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah at this point there's like 5+ "unseen" layers under CGI skin. Bones, sinews, muscles, veins, etc are pretty much all modeled, the real challenge as I understand it is the skin itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXXdypEuR_M

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Sep 26, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait, they actually model the blood flow under the skin to make the skin look right rather than just repainting the surface?

Mind. loving. blown.

Modern CG makes me wish I had a career back when the N64 was hot poo poo because the sheer amount of poo poo you have to do now to not just be dismissed for having trash quality visuals is insane.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

Modern CG makes me wish I had a career back when the N64 was hot poo poo because the sheer amount of poo poo you have to do now to not just be dismissed for having trash quality visuals is insane.

Mario 64 blew my mind with the level of detail and the ripple effects on the paintings. Still not sure if Mario is reality and we are the simulation

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

And yet most CGI skin still looks unnatural and like plastic. I think CGI is great for doing non-human things, but the uncanny valley obstacle just makes it so hard to accurately do humans without them looking weird. Maybe in 10 years we'll have finally figured it out though :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's all about the lighting though. Check it out, the skin is literally 100% natural:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Mario 64 blew my mind with the level of detail and the ripple effects on the paintings. Still not sure if Mario is reality and we are the simulation

Same until I realised it was the same mesh and effect to matter your location or velocity. Still a cool effect for so long ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It costs more for better CGI and a lot of the time the studios won't pay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's pretty much the definition of diminishing returns. You can spend a million and get CGI that'll pass for human in 90% of cases but if you wanna get to 99%, it's gonna cost you a billion.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I dream of becoming a trillionaire and funding a Jurassic Park sequel with nothing but perfectly-designed animatronic models.

And then mounting rockets and machine guns on them to take over the world, because come on, why not.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just saw the robocop remake. Not the fan remake from last year. The actual one. Everything. Every thing. Right now all I can think is the credits rolled and the movie ended with literally 'I fought the law and the law won' I can't think of a less appropriate capper to that movie.

Oh and the part where congress voted to overturn the making robots illegal in the united states bill and three hours later there's a full compliment of battledroids protecting omnicorp for robocop to fight was just astoundingly dumb. I mean they built him in china because of the law? Because they apparently gave a poo poo about the repercussions of violating the law? And that all happened in one single day. He's juggling these conference calls about alex murphy's wife wanting to see her husband, and also there's the vote, and then he says pull the plug, and also robocop is coming to arrest him, and wait don't let his wife leave the building actually send her back upstairs. Those were all said in the same sentence. Where did all the murder robots that were fully illegal as of noon today come from?

And the part where he's all autism'ed up chemically so he doesn't cry about his own murder anymore, but now his wife is sad, and she pleads with him "find your human heart, and come home. Your son needs you. We are very sad." He fights his programming and... goes on a revenge spree to solve his own murder? If you had one loving scintilla of control why wouldn't you go home to your goddamn traumatized family and watch the goddamn redwings with your son? Like your family was the crowbar that allowed you to break free of your programming but they are ultimately meaningless to him and the film at large.

I don't know that a "rant about movies that are awful in every way" thread exists but my irrational movie moment was that I filtered netflix for movies I've heard of that came out in the last year and chose this because "might as well see how bad it was" and I got mad anyway.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I didn't like furiosa's fake arm; it added nothing to her character, it just looked dumb and cringy. Still a really good movie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

darkhand posted:

I didn't like furiosa's fake arm; it added nothing to her character, it just looked dumb and cringy. Still a really good movie

They didn't have time to add a lot of back story so they did it visually.

I thought it worked well establishing furiosa as a hardass and that she'd lost something in the service of immortan joe.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

syscall girl posted:

I thought it worked well establishing furiosa as a hardass and that she'd lost something in the service of immortan joe.

Yeah. In a hard world, a crippled woman held a position of power. How much of a badass is she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

If she was such a hardass why couldn't she do something as simple as hold on to all her limbs? :colbert: