Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

larchesdanrew posted:

"My computer is really slow and Premiere crashes when I try to open it. "

Well let's see wh-... 85% of your C:\ drive is taken up by folders on your desktop. Your media cache folder has 160k items in it and is using up another 18% of your drive.

I think I found your problem.

See, hard drives do break when they get too full. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
103%. That's completely bonklers.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Truga posted:

103%. That's completely bonklers.

I'm a good math man :downs:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Don't you work for a school system? Who the hell DDoS's schools? :psyduck:

Students. Back in 2000-ish roughly half of our school's IT Department was volunteer student workers and sometimes they'd bring the whole network down for a period with an "attack" if they wanted an extra study hall.

They also hosed around with the PA system from time to time. Having "The Wall" blaring over the speakers as students left on the last day of school was pretty fantastic.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sefal posted:

Reading this thread somehow makes we wanna keep learning stuff. U guys inspire me.
During downtime, or times where it just isn't that busy, I prefer to study up on stuff, experiment, but today the head of our department caught me making some java code. He then told me. Do that stuff at home.
Is there a way I can say that I prefer to keep studying on stuff during down time? Tactfully? without killing my career? Or do I just keep my head down and keep studying at home?

In my experience, the best way to learn is to break something in production by being an idiot, and fix it before alerts start going off.

That's how i started in my career, by being a moron, misplacing a "}" in a dns config and freaking out when the service stopped and didn't restart.

Thats also why I post about the stupid poo poo I do (and others, but primarily me) so others can learn from my dumbness.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

nitrogen posted:

In my experience, the best way to learn is to break something in production by being an idiot, and fix it before alerts start going off.

That's how i started in my career, by being a moron, misplacing a "}" in a dns config and freaking out when the service stopped and didn't restart.

Thats also why I post about the stupid poo poo I do (and others, but primarily me) so others can learn from my dumbness.

I once brought a production Xsan down by propagating permissions from the root volume, it was my second week on the job. :downs: I learned that day all about ACLs and POSIX permissions on a Xsan and how to propagate them properly in an Xsan environment.

Alternatively a good (and safe) way to learn is to build a lab environment and then break the crap out of it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

luminalflux posted:

AP chat: We're an open plan office in downtown SF, old brick building (20+ stories), lots of people on wifi, everyone streaming twitch all the time (:rolleyes:).
We've got Aruba gear and it works great, but you'll need some time to fine-tune it.

I have a site with 128 Arubas and like you said if you take time to get it sorted out they seem reliable.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We're phasing out our Aruba gear. It was nice when we got it, but performance has been getting worse and worse as time went on, and support has never been useful enough to justify the enormous cost compared to their competitors.

As far as I know we're the only one with negative feedback for Aruba though.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

As a note to the people who have had issues with UniFi APs. Several years back, one of UniFi's manufacturers (in china, of course) broke contract with UBNT, kept the equipment designs, and started producing and selling the gear by themselves, including the UBNT logo. They were using substandard parts, and the copies from this manufacturer were breaking left and right. Since they LOOKED real, resellers assumed they were legit.

I believe UBNT finally forced them to stop, but the designs 'leaked' and a few other places started making copies in china and russia.

So, long story short, make sure your poo poo isn't counterfeit. If it isn't from a vendor listed on their website, there is no guarantee it's real.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0digal posted:

I once brought a production Xsan down by propagating permissions from the root volume, it was my second week on the job. :downs: I learned that day all about ACLs and POSIX permissions on a Xsan and how to propagate them properly in an Xsan environment.

Alternatively a good (and safe) way to learn is to build a lab environment and then break the crap out of it.

I brought down an entire building of 1,000 users by changing the near end of a trunk link first. Fortunately, the building was only 200 yards away from the main building and I managed to dash over and get it sorted in 10 minutes.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Installing Yosemite on an older (but not much older, only 2007!) iMac with a 1440p screen. The user previously had it set to 720p, presumably so that he could see things better. Does OS X have a global "UI size" thing like Windows does? I can't seem to find it and Google just suggests tuning things per-application.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Segmentation Fault posted:

Installing Yosemite on an older (but not much older, only 2007!) iMac with a 1440p screen. The user previously had it set to 720p, presumably so that he could see things better. Does OS X have a global "UI size" thing like Windows does? I can't seem to find it and Google just suggests tuning things per-application.

Try doing this: http://cocoamanifest.net/articles/2013/01/turn-on-hidpi-retina-mode-on-an-ordinary-mac.html

27-inch iMac should have 1280x720 hidpi mode, which will be pretty cramped but sharp instead of blurry. That's really the only way to do it on OS X, I think.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh stupid poo poo we've done in production?

Accidentally dropped the Users table in a production database because I thought I was connected to the database in test. (Don't have your production database server accessible from the test environment. Firewall at the least, airgap if possible. Don't make the test database have the same name as the production database.)

I've also applied a switch configuration which brought down the entire access network and locked me out of the switch. I had to interrupt a board meeting (because access to the network cabinet was through our largest meeting room :downs:) to plug a serial cable into the switch.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

Try doing this: http://cocoamanifest.net/articles/2013/01/turn-on-hidpi-retina-mode-on-an-ordinary-mac.html

27-inch iMac should have 1280x720 hidpi mode, which will be pretty cramped but sharp instead of blurry. That's really the only way to do it on OS X, I think.

He was running 720p anyway so the screen real estate is essentially the same, everything just looks nice and sharp now. Thanks!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Crowley posted:

Our ISP in on the case. I just opened a ticket saying something like "this line is unstable. WTF guys?" and they took it from there. My only problem right now is being allowed to give them some money for their DDoS guard. :downs:

One of our ISPs actually dropped us during a DDoS because we were affecting their infrastructure. Management still won't let us tell them to gently caress off because they pour advertising money our way.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

Well let's see wh-... 85% of your C:\ drive is taken up by folders on your desktop. Your media cache folder has 160k items in it and is using up another 18% of your drive.

Sounds like somebody needs a Buffalo ASAP!

Regarding stupid mistakes, sometimes I don't notice if computers are on before doing hardware stuff. The other day I pulled a DIMM from a running PC. Windows didn't like that. The worst was several years back when replacing a bad IDE CD drive. Got a nice spark when I plugged the new drive in. Never heard back from the user so I guess I didn't fry it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Knormal posted:

Sounds like somebody needs a Buffalo ASAP!

Regarding stupid mistakes, sometimes I don't notice if computers are on before doing hardware stuff. The other day I pulled a DIMM from a running PC. Windows didn't like that. The worst was several years back when replacing a bad IDE CD drive. Got a nice spark when I plugged the new drive in. Never heard back from the user so I guess I didn't fry it.
I...D....E....?
WTF? Hasn't SATA been standard for the last decade?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ilkhan posted:

I...D....E....?

Several years can include 10 of them.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

deimos posted:

One of our ISPs actually dropped us during a DDoS because we were affecting their infrastructure. Management still won't let us tell them to gently caress off because they pour advertising money our way.

We're a public institution on the national contract. I don't think the ISP can drop us.
On the flip side we can't drop them either, and they're not exactly fast on getting that DDoS blocker up and running. :ohdear:
In all fairness their lines are rock solid once they get installed, and super cheaply priced too.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh stupid poo poo we've done in production?

Accidentally dropped the Users table in a production database because I thought I was connected to the database in test. (Don't have your production database server accessible from the test environment. Firewall at the least, airgap if possible. Don't make the test database have the same name as the production database.)

I've also applied a switch configuration which brought down the entire access network and locked me out of the switch. I had to interrupt a board meeting (because access to the network cabinet was through our largest meeting room :downs:) to plug a serial cable into the switch.

I once deleted a database instead of detaching it. Good thing I had backed up everything before I started working on it.

Also I almost uninstalled a clients Exchange server because they connected me to the server and then told me I can uninstall anything I want since its not in production anymore. I sent a followup email explicitly asking about exchange since I was seeing packets still flying back and forth on it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

My test and production are exact clones, so that also means same db's. I've gone an edited the shell login scripts to say TEST at the end of the prompt. It's a nice, constant reminder of where I am.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
My AWS file upload page is working for multi-part uploads with user logins with varied permissions. It'll be ready to go live after some chroming and stress testing.

I did a thing, guys :unsmith:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

larchesdanrew posted:

"Ok lets have a look at treesize to have gander at our files... why the gently caress has this guy got several tens of gigabytes worth of a my documents folder?"
Filled to the brim with pirate movies and TV shows, I told him to get that off the company laptop and he would be in for a world of poo poo if anyone else knew.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Our dev and production databases are identical, but on completely separate hosts. Thankfully we haven't had any issues with anything in production, although one time I accidentally changed the email address of about 400 test accounts to the same one with a bad where clause :downs:

Worst production issue was probably taking down every production web host at the same time instead of staggering them even/odd like they were supposed to, resulting in about 5-10 minutes of hard downtime. The nice thing about companies that don't poo poo on you for stuff like that is that I ended up being harder on myself than my boss ever would have been, and I rewrote a bunch of production deploy tools from scratch to make sure I don't screw stuff up like that again.

Worst issue from my team, though, was a cron job that was sending out money via a payment provider. Not to go into super detail, but the provider was taking longer to confirm transactions than the cron's interval. Server 1 would find an unfilled invoice, associate and send payment for it, and the expectation was that the constantly-running handler on Server 2 would iterate through sent-but-not-confirmed payments, see that one was confirmed, find the associated invoice and mark everything as complete. Instead, Server 1 found an unfilled invoice, put the invoice number on a payment, fired off the payment... then on the next cron interval, found the same unfilled invoice, put the invoice number a (new) payment, fired off the payment...

That one was pretty bad.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A client of ours has decided to reduce their reliance on Microsoft Office (for what I can only assume to be purely ideological reasons) by just not buying more licenses when they purchase PCs. That's literally as far as the plan goes.

:psyduck:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ilkhan posted:

I...D....E....?
Yeah this was 8-10 years ago, probably on an old Dell Optiplex GX2x0. SATA was on the new machines of the time, but there were still plenty of older machines without it.

Then for a few years HP shipped PCs with SATA hard drives and IDE disc drives for some bizarre reason, we still have some of those floating around (not in my area fortunately).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I'm having some issues with 6800 IA switches. The design requires us to run 15.2 in order to leverage the increased number of switches per stack (5) and the increased number of total switches supported per 6880 (42). I can provision and join each FEX stack while the 6880 is running 15.1, but the switches won't auto upgrade or join while the 6880 is running 15.2. Any ideas?

e: Woah, wrong thread, but I guess I'll keep it here too.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 25, 2015

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Ozz81 posted:

DING DING

I had to deal with 2 infections like this with a client, both people had Dropbox, both had files synced on their home PC to their work PC. Only the PCs got infected (we've got a script that will detect the changed Crypto files and auto-disables all network connections) and ended up being wiped, and policies changed on personal file sharing/backup

Would I be able to pick your brain about that script? I work for an MSP and we get tards clicking on "resumes" all the time. Most of it is remedied by rolling back the VSS snapshots but still... It would be awesome to clamp everything down in the event of an infection.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Knormal posted:

Then for a few years HP shipped PCs with SATA hard drives and IDE disc drives for some bizarre reason, we still have some of those floating around (not in my area fortunately).

My last few comps I built with CD/DVD drives were this way, just because there were usually only 2 SATA ports, plus an IDE, and a disc drive doesn't really gain anything from the better bus.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanks Ants posted:

A client of ours has decided to reduce their reliance on Microsoft Office (for what I can only assume to be purely ideological reasons) by just not buying more licenses when they purchase PCs. That's literally as far as the plan goes.

:psyduck:

Did someone print out this plan on double-sided paper and someone only photocopied the front?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Oh well, at least I'm able to sit down for at least a few minutes and enjoy my coffee. I go to pick it up and the lid falls off and the cup goes sailing to the floor.

This is why you drink coffee out of an actual coffee cup on your two 15-minute coffee breaks per day. Coffee isn't supposed to be mobile and the only type of drinking vessel that's supposed to have a lid is this:

tl;dr: You're doing coffee wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You know who drank out of a lidded tankard? Hint: he was also big on living and dying for the fatherland.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Jerry Cotton posted:

You know who drank out of a lidded tankard? Hint: he was also big on living and dying for the fatherland.

Wilhelm the Second?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pictured: typical mug user.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Pictured: typical mug user.

There, fixed that for ya. :thumbsup:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Stupid things I've done?

Set up automatic ticket creation via email without accounting for Out-Of-Office/Automatic replies.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Stupid things I've done?

Set up automatic ticket creation via email without accounting for Out-Of-Office/Automatic replies.

gently caress I have a user like this. Every time you email him, you get this huge written response about how you've reached the literal Adonis of anchors and he just can't wait to respond to your email and thanks for watching and blah blah blah, like people are writing to his loving fan club.

He's the guy that submits all the "I can't see poo poo" tickets. At least three a day, and every time a ticket is opened, commented, and closed, it emails the submitter.

So he submits a ticket, gets a confirmation email, auto responds which creates a comment which sends an email which auto responds which creates a comment which sends an email over and over and over until the email server just gives up.

I turned that poo poo off real fast for him.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Reminds me of the infamous Bedlam Incident:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2004/04/08/109626.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I kinda want to use one for a coffee cup, just for the looks I'll get.

• Locked thread