Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The backpack argument is old. It's 2015 and its full of vital rap artists, this isn't 2005 where white guys are "redefining" rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I guess I just don't understand the cohesive theme behind Graduation.. MBDTF, Yeezus and to a degree College Dropout (and, I guess, 808s) have a theme that run through the album, but I've never really understood Graduation as an album. Then again, I still haven't really figured out To Pimp A Butterfly either, despite everyone calling it an instant classic.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Graduation is Kanye's worst album tbh, still some excellent tracks on it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The idea that great albums need to have a cohesive theme is a fallacy. The two aren't mutually exclusive, either, but it's not a requirement.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just really like Good Life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
MBDTF has no skips(besides Swizz Beatz being trash on hooks) Runaway is my favorite Kanye song.

College Dropout, I loving love that album. It could be because it brings me back to a time and place, and me ranking it high could be me being nostalgic as all hell. But it's easily my second favorite Album.

Graduation, this and 808s are equal in my mind, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Stronger all fantastic

808s Hated this album when it first came out, but went back to it around MBDTF and appreciated it waaaaaaay more.

Late Registration, Solid Don't hate it Close to 808s/Graduation, but those two slightly edge it out.

Yeezus, Has 2 great songs(Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2), 2 good songs(Hold my Liqour, New Slaves), and everything else is p much forgettable

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 22, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
My ranking is

MBDTF
Yeezus
Late Registration
808s
College Dropout
Graduation

Graduation is a good album, but I'd definitely consider it his worst. It just feels like a collection of good singles rather than a cohesive statement like all of his other albums are.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

HorseRenoir posted:

My ranking is

MBDTF
Yeezus
Late Registration
808s
College Dropout
Graduation
this is it. this is the one. god bless you horse.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
whoever mentioned street lights earlier as kanye's best written song is a smart man

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Dexo posted:

MBDTF has no skips(besides Swizz Beatz being trash on hooks) Runaway is my favorite Kanye song.

College Dropout, I loving love that album. It could be because it brings me back to a time and place, and me ranking it high could be me being nostalgic as all hell. But it's easily my second favorite Album.

Graduation, this and 808s are equal in my mind, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Stronger all fantastic

808s Hated this album when it first came out, but went back to it around MBDTF and appreciated it waaaaaaay more.

Late Registration, Solid Don't hate it Close to 808s/Graduation, but those two slightly edge it out.

Yeezus, Has 2 great songs(Blood on the Leaves, Bound 2), 2 good songs(Hold my Liqour, New Slaves), and everything else is p much forgettable

Good post/is right. Even agree about the yeezus breakdown

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

My ranking is

MBDTF
Yeezus
Late Registration
808s
College Dropout
Graduation

Graduation is a good album, but I'd definitely consider it his worst. It just feels like a collection of good singles rather than a cohesive statement like all of his other albums are.

This is probably the one I agree with the most so far

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I don't think MBDTF is nearly as good as most other people (although it's still amazing, like all Kanye's solo albums) but I can't really argue against it. Honestly that's the telling thing about Kanye is dude's consistent excellence. He just doesn't release bad albums.

And I think people are really underrating Graduation. Even if it were just a collection of singles, that's not a bad thing when all the singles are amazing. I mean Thriller was just a collection of singles, and most albums are just collections of singles historically. But I think it's just as cohesive as MBDTF. It's him pretty much going from "just" a rap producer/rapper into a super-megastar. The title is super fitting since it's pretty much just an album about celebrating how he made it or whatever. I mean seriously look at the titles: Champion, Stronger, Good Life, Can't Tell Me Nothing, Barry Bonds. That's not even getting into the content and lyrics. Musically it's also where he started breaking away from his "old" sound and branching out; he had done a bit of that but College Dropout/Late Registration still had a very similar sound. Graduation was where he started pulling in a lot more diverse sounds.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
College, late, and grad beat the gently caress out of yeezus in every way possible.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeezus is not that good sorry. The person who said 2 great songs, 2 good songs pretty much nailed it

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

How is Black Skinhead forgettable :( It rocks. Probably my favourite song of the album.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Actually yeezus loving owns

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Jumping on the Yeezus owns :bandwagon:

I think the only tracks I don't love are Send it Up and I'm In It

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's brilliant

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Send It Up is one of the better songs on an album full of good tracks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Actually yeezus loving owns
Yuuuuuuup. How does anyone think otherwise? I mean honestly.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

My Kanye West album rankings:

1: MBDTF
2: College Dropout
2: Late Registration
2: Yeezus
2: 808s
3: Graduation

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. 808's
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. Yeezus.

You guys with your different opinions from me are all crazy people.

Quandary fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 23, 2015

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

College dropout
808s
Late registration
Mbdtf
Graduation
Yeezus

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
college dropout
Grad
808s
yeezus
late
mbdtf

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

atrus50 posted:

college dropout
Grad
808s
yeezus
late
mbdtf

look at this guy with his kuhraaazy opinions!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Quandary posted:

1. MBDTF
2. College Dropout
3. 808's
4. Late Registration
5. Graduation
6. Yeezus.

You guys with your different opinions from me are all crazy people.

This is also a good opinion. Whatever had mbdtf first and yeezus last is correct.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I got curious (read: needed some procrastination so as not to work on my thesis) so I tallied up the votes here to see what the consensus was. First place on someones list got 1 pt, last place got 6 pts, I only counted complete lists and people agreeing with complete lists:

1. MBDTF (25 pts)
2. College Dropout (44 pts)
3. Yeezus (46 pts)
4. 808s (51 pts)
5. Late Registration (59 pts)
6. Graduation (60 pts)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

teacup posted:

Kanye for President? Just release your album mate then we'll talk!

:keke:

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
This thread exploding was a big wet fart I see

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

no album with "drunk n hot girls" can be considered good

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

setafd posted:

no album with "drunk n hot girls" can be considered good

Someone could probably bring up another track and I'd probably agree but this is one of those Kanye songs I genuinely just hate

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

literally the only thing that is good about that song is that it ends and then "flashing lights" comes on

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I hated Drunk and Hot Girls at first, then I liked it a lot because I liked how weird and out there the production was, then I kind of hated it again when I found out it was pretty much a straight sample of a Can song, and now I like it a whole lot because I realized how loving crazy it is that Kanye built that song around a loving Can sample. Also I like the cheesy strings he added, makes it feel like a weird off-kilter suspense movie soundtrack or something, which is hilarious given the lyrics

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

I hated Drunk and Hot Girls at first, then I liked it a lot because I liked how weird and out there the production was, then I kind of hated it again when I found out it was pretty much a straight sample of a Can song, and now I like it a whole lot because I realized how loving crazy it is that Kanye built that song around a loving Can sample. Also I like the cheesy strings he added, makes it feel like a weird off-kilter suspense movie soundtrack or something, which is hilarious given the lyrics

okay the Can sample connection is pretty hot but the lyrics he puts to it are just .......... they needed more time in the oven or something

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

setafd posted:

okay the Can sample connection is pretty hot but the lyrics he puts to it are just .......... they needed more time in the oven or something

they are far from the worst lyrics on an album that also includes lines like "Heard they'd do anything for a Klondike/well I'll do anything for a blonde dyke/and she'll do anything for the limelight/and we'll do anything when the time's right"

like, at least Drunk and Hot Girls is a charming lyrical trainwreck, which fits the theme of the song

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

abraham linksys posted:

:stare:

I...can honestly say I never heard about this before. Holy poo poo.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Told you guys poo poo is getting lit :slick:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Great song

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
kanye's verses on flashing lights are probably some of the worst shits ive ever heard even from him.

that production though :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Good life is still the best

• Locked thread