Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think Spyke should be on the streets anymore, since I just gave him 1.5 million Squidollars.

Cocaine Snails are a hell of a drug. Those things are at least 30k a pop and he probably goes through dozens a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

There's nothing quite as frustrating as ranking down, and I really wish games would abandon this model. Please, please just give us a flat ELO number.

Started the night At "A" with 28 points. Lose two in a row and decide to take out my main set. Do really well; lose by one point ending with a score of 9 / 3 and a teammate who went 0 / 11. Ok fine.

Win three in a row to get myself to 98 points, lose a long contested game to lose SIXTEEN POINTS. Win one again, get 6 points. Lose 12. Win 10, and so on, and so on until I'm sitting at A- 68 points.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Night Blade posted:

There's nothing quite as frustrating as ranking down, and I really wish games would abandon this model. Please, please just give us a flat ELO number.

Started the night At "A" with 28 points. Lose two in a row and decide to take out my main set. Do really well; lose by one point ending with a score of 9 / 3 and a teammate who went 0 / 11. Ok fine.

Win three in a row to get myself to 98 points, lose a long contested game to lose SIXTEEN POINTS. Win one again, get 6 points. Lose 12. Win 10, and so on, and so on until I'm sitting at A- 68 points.

I mean a flat elo number might be basically the same - start the night at 1400, drop down to 1300, work back up to 1350, etc. generally from what i've seen, other games that use similar systems wind up just grouping everyone into clumps anyways (3k elo player, 3.5k elo player, etc) so the ranking system basically jsut cuts out that middle man.

That being said, ranking down loving sucks and it happened to me tonight. If anything I'd want it to be more difficult to rank up + down. Make the gains slow waaay down as you get to like 70+, and make the subtractions slow waaaaay down when you get like 30-. Or better yet, maybe remove ranking down, but make ranking up very difficult. Reweight it so you need to consistently get a high enough w/l ratio to rank up, otherwise you drop back down to the middle of the rank - or worse case scenario, you just drop to 0 and have to claw your way back up, but at least then if you get four bad games in a row after ranking up you don't immediately rank down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't think Spyke should be on the streets anymore, since I just gave him 1.5 million Squidollars.

He's a streetwise band member; he has to look and act the part even if he's got more money than you'll ever see in your life.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean a flat elo number might be basically the same - start the night at 1400, drop down to 1300, work back up to 1350, etc. generally from what i've seen, other games that use similar systems wind up just grouping everyone into clumps anyways (3k elo player, 3.5k elo player, etc) so the ranking system basically jsut cuts out that middle man.

That being said, ranking down loving sucks and it happened to me tonight. If anything I'd want it to be more difficult to rank up + down. Make the gains slow waaay down as you get to like 70+, and make the subtractions slow waaaaay down when you get like 30-. Or better yet, maybe remove ranking down, but make ranking up very difficult. Reweight it so you need to consistently get a high enough w/l ratio to rank up, otherwise you drop back down to the middle of the rank - or worse case scenario, you just drop to 0 and have to claw your way back up, but at least then if you get four bad games in a row after ranking up you don't immediately rank down.

Well, maybe your wish is granted at the S levels. When/if you get to that level, +/- 5 is the norm for 'fair' matches rather than +/- 10 or so.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

They should have an item Judd would give you at S+ 99, that'd be pretty fresh

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Night Blade posted:

So I'm getting pretty good with the regular Splattershot.

Oh cool there's a Hero Shot Replica that's a alternate skin for the weapon, how do I get i-

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

On the flip side, if you do get to use the Squid amiibo, the mission to get the Hero Shot Replica is extremely easy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Night Blade posted:

Had a massive losing streak last night, didn't win a single loving match, and disconnected on one of them. So now I'm rank B again. :sigh: I'm never going to make it to A, am I? Much less S...

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So is this one of those games you're just boned if you get into late? I picked it up the other day, and it's just nonstop steamrolling by level 50s and poo poo.

I mean I really want to like it, but getting curbstomped isn't very fun at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well he got 40 of mine today too!

Seriously, how hard is it to roll doubles on Cuttlefish gear, Spike. You cock.

First snail I ever used got me triple runspeed on my cool jacket :smugmrgw:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Man I love the feeling of coming back from the enemy pushing from the start until they're seven away from your base in Tower Capture then running the tower all the way back to their base for a Knockout

Enos Shenk posted:

So is this one of those games you're just boned if you get into late? I picked it up the other day, and it's just nonstop steamrolling by level 50s and poo poo.

Nah. The bonuses on gear and weapons might add some stuff but it's not anything that's completely game changing. In fact Splattershot Jr. is still a very powerful gun that people at higher levels still run because of it's ease in laying down ink and the Bubbler shield is pretty strong

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Enos Shenk posted:

Any competitive game is rough to get into late, but you can at least concentrate on painting ground and avoiding enemies in Turf War. All the level is an indicator of is how much someone has played and doesn't give any bonuses to you in a match at all, but anyone who has played until level 50 had better be good at the game as a result of having so much practice.

If you're at least level 10 you can play ranked games which are sorted into four tiers by skill level which is more fair than the gently caress-all matchmaking in Turf War. The downside is that the three different ranked modes are all designed to force contact with the enemy so you can't just play keep away the whole match.

Squads are also an option; a bunch of us are S-ranked so we won't lose (or gain for that matter) points playing in squads with you. The game is more fun on voice chat with a group even if you get stomped, and you will learn pretty quickly playing like that. Private group games are also fun but you don't gain experience, cash, or ranks from them. Hop on synIRC #splagoons and we can play with you

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 24, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Enos Shenk posted:

The learning curve isn't too horrible, but you'll find yourself getting smashed in head-to-head skirmishes for the first couple hours. Believe me when I say that level 50s are usually just people who play a lot, not people that are necessarily that great at the game. Play a lot of turf war, learn all the weapons and subs, and help your team by inking in areas that other people aren't. The starting weapon is excellent for learning the ropes, as are the early rollers. Stay away from chargers (sniper rifle-type weapons) until you're comfortable with the flow of the game.

The biggest thing you need to know is, it's not the team that gets the most kills that wins, it's the team that best controls territory and has the best map awareness. It takes a bit to get the intuition ingrained, but you'll get there if you give it enough practice. Don't be like my friend who bought the game and never played again after 2 hours of trying to play it like CoD.

Ranked mode is its own beast, and I recommend going into it with a humble heart and an eagerness to learn through trial by fire.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen people lower than me (level 40) who have stomped me at every turn, and I've seen level 50s with the Legendary Captain Hat and Octoshot who have been useless in a fight and actively dragged their team down by running into fights and exploding all game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not a Children posted:

Ranked mode is its own beast, and I recommend going into it with a humble heart and an eagerness to learn through trial by fire.

Be prepared to stare in awe at the sheer retardation some players can exhibit in these modes. Classics include;

"Why is everyone on my team dancing around the Tower and not getting on it?"
"Why is everyone bee-lining like a lemming right back towards the sniper's killzone for the sixth time?"
"Don't go that way, why the hell are you taking the Rainmaker to our base?! :cripes:"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Be prepared to stare in awe at the sheer retardation some players can exhibit in these modes. Classics include;

"Why is everyone on my team dancing around the Tower and not getting on it?"
"Why is everyone bee-lining like a lemming right back towards the sniper's killzone for the sixth time?"
"Don't go that way, why the hell are you taking the Rainmaker to our base?! :cripes:"

A fresh newbie who actually reads the rules for the mode and has a spine (lol invertebrates) will probably do better than most of the people you find in C and B rank

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Enos Shenk posted:

As others have said, level doesn’t really matter that much. You get more weapons available until lv20, but the starting gun is really really good and used even by S+ lv50s. Their gear has more sub abilities, but sub abilities barely make any difference and won’t account of much of an advantage overall.

This game is deceptively skill-based: it doesn’t seem that way at first, but there is a massive difference in skill levels that can be seen. As you become more familiar with the game and get the hang of things you’ll start feeling like you stand more of a chance - when I first started, I felt like I had the short end of the stick all the time and was frustrated at how useless I seemed compared to everyone else and just wrote it off as “they’re higher level than me so they have access to way better poo poo than me” but that’s just frankly not true.

poo poo, after playing ranked exclusively for a few weeks up to around A/A+, I went back to regular turf war and was astounded by the difference. I’d always felt like an average player at best, a lovely player at worst, but then after returning to unranked I noticed a massive improvement in my skill level. Just keep playing and you’ll naturally improve and the game really comes into its own.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Splattershot Jr. is my favourite gun in the game and I use it when I need an easy break from the Dynamo Roller. For a first attempt at a shooter, Nintendo did astoundingly well at making most weapons not better but just different and better in different situations than others.

Edit: gently caress Kraken as a special though, but that might be because of the netcode favouring laggers which projects a massive radius of instadeath around a Kraken in spite of your best efforts to flee or dodge

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 24, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BattleMaster posted:

Splattershot Jr. is my favourite gun in the game and I use it when I need an easy break from the Dynamo Roller. For a first attempt at a shooter, Nintendo did astoundingly well at making most weapons not better but just different and better in different situations than others.

Edit: gently caress Kraken as a special though, but that might be because of the netcode favouring laggers which projects a massive radius of instadeath around a Kraken in spite of your best efforts to flee or dodge

I think the 52-Gal Deco's a good general starter as an alternative to the Splattershot. Good range and damage, Seekers you can swim behind, and the good old Inkstrike :allears:.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I got downranked out of S+ very fast the other day. I don't feel as bad about it given how the scoring works. Default is +3/-6 so welp.

Before that though yeah shoot I went from A+ 99 to A- in an evening and that was a blow to my ego. Worked my way back up though. Sometimes you're just on a bad combo, bad teammates, or for me too tired/drunk to be playing on your normal level.

I'm going to get it back though drat it!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

52 gal is amazing and if I didn't like the 96's echolocator so much I'd still be using it now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Shenk posted:

Lots of other people already gave good advice, but here's mine: play single player all the way through. It's not super long, but you will learn a lot. Getting some of the basics of movement and camera down to muscle memory while no S+99s are shooting at you will really help once you go back to turf war. Pay attention to the little on-screen tips and instructions during the missions. If you can beat the final boss (which is an awesomely fun fight) you will be much better at avoiding curbstompings online.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trent's right. The single player campaign acclimates you to the basics very well.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I feel like this game is easier to get into than a CoD/Halo cause the maps aren't that big, you just need to develop a few habits that you don't have with other games. It's way easier to tell where people are since they have to ink ground to move around.

Learn which spots you can see a lot of the field from and control those spots.

In turf war, don't be that player that keeps pushing into the enemy base thinking that since you're scoring a lot of points you're doing the most for your team. Play a bit more defensively, look around at where other players are, look at your map, and slowly add to your team's line. Ink your flanks so people can't sneak up on you. If you can eventually get up the enemy's base like that, great! Your team just won unless you let them slip behind you.

Try out a lot of different weapons. I personally play with every weapon type depending on my mood. I take .96 gal, a roller, or the octobrush into ranked but I will use the faster shooters, the bucket, or a charger in turfed sometimes. Playing with other weapons helps you predict what players with those weapons will do and you'll learn faster. Play some with every weapon you unlock.

Look at your map often. It will help you get an intuition on where players will be coming from, letting you position yourself so you'll get the first shot.

Most importantly have fun! Booyah a lot and don't really give a poo poo if you lose. Celebrate victory, shrug off defeat!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Best advice in the thread.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The points paradox is why I'm an MVP on Arowana Mall despite barely scoring above 400 on that map most games.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think everyone can benefit from being at least decent with the [Tentatek] Splattershot, the [Krak-On] Splat Roller, and the [Kelp] Splat Charger because those are the most basic weapons that everything is based on in some way (except the Blasters which really deserve their own class, and the Splatlings and Sloshers but those aren't really developed classes yet)

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Trent posted:

Lots of other people already gave good advice, but here's mine: play single player all the way through. It's not super long, but you will learn a lot. Getting some of the basics of movement and camera down to muscle memory while no S+99s are shooting at you will really help once you go back to turf war. Pay attention to the little on-screen tips and instructions during the missions. If you can beat the final boss (which is an awesomely fun fight) you will be much better at avoiding curbstompings online.

I'll give this a shot, it makes good sense. I played a bit of the single player, but just left it because "This stuff doesn't matter" but I didn't think what you're saying here. I get that level isn't super important, but in a 4v4 if I'm not as good as the others my team is obviously going to lose. The matches I've had where it's more even levels has been wildly fun.

Maybe I'm just getting old and slow. By the time I have some indication an enemy is anywhere near me I'm already toast.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A tip that helped me is that you should basically glue down your left trigger. Whenever you aren't actively shooting, you want to be squidding. Not only is it faster, but you'll be way harder to notice. You also want to fire in short bursts and move around a lot too. Fire a few shots, squid form and move a bit to a different angle, fire more, repeat.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

On the flip side, if you do get to use the Squid amiibo, the mission to get the Hero Shot Replica is extremely easy.

Oh that's good to hear. I mean its not like I'm going to go to Video Games NY tomorrow to buy a 40 dollar squid amiibo for a single weapon skin or anything.

Hehaheh...ehe.hahafaz...

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Everyone's given some great advice. Here's a few miscellaneous tips:

- It's a little easy to overlook, as it's not explicitly stated anywhere, but if you tap on your side's spawn point you can super jump back there. It's handy for getting out of a situation that's turning bad, or if some clean up is due, etc.

- Always be squidding whenever possible.

- How much ground is inked matters for the match tally, but inking walls will still fill the special meter, so that can help in a pinch.

- For real. Try every weapon, they all have their uses. Some are good all around, some might be better for you on some stages more than others, etc. There are some even in the same family that will need to be handled differently (like below).

- If you're trying out rollers, don't forget that flicking ink is an option. You'd be surprised at how many people I've come across who just plant it on the ground and that's it. Making a habit to flick the roller will make stages with slopes a lot less of a pain. This is also especially important for something like the Carbon Roller, which doesn't instantly splat an enemy when you roll over them. (A good flick will do the job though.) Or for the Dynamo Rollers, which move like molasses, but get much better coverage this way.

Remember to booyah your team!!

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Oh that's good to hear. I mean its not like I'm going to go to Video Games NY tomorrow to buy a 40 dollar squid amiibo for a single weapon skin or anything.

Hehaheh...ehe.hahafaz...

Video Games NY is cool and all, but they're stupid overpriced. Please do not pay $40 for a $12 squid.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Everyone's given some great advice. Here's a few miscellaneous tips:

- It's a little easy to overlook, as it's not explicitly stated anywhere, but if you tap on your side's spawn point you can super jump back there. It's handy for getting out of a situation that's turning bad, or if some clean up is due, etc.

- Always be squidding whenever possible.

- For real. Try every weapon, they all have their uses.

- If you're trying out rollers, don't forget that flicking ink is an option.

Remember to booyah your team!!

Regarding Rollers: flicking ink is, in practice, the primary way to splat enemies. Rolling over enemies for a splat should be considered an advanced technique which you should honestly not attempt unless you find yourself developing an affinity for Rollers.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

majormonotone posted:

Video Games NY is cool and all, but they're stupid overpriced. Please do not pay $40 for a $12 squid.

It's overpriced because it's a JP import. The solo squid amiibo isn't available in the US unless you buy the three pack.

... and just like that I'm back to regular A rank. If you're reading this Ariel, golden giant roller guy who was my teammate for all 4 games; you're a good teammate!

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 25, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Stores just got a restock of the 3-pack recently. Hell, I'll buy you the friggin' thing if you pay shipping, just don't drop $40 for a single amiibo for crying out loud

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dreamy Souffle posted:

- If you're trying out rollers, don't forget that flicking ink is an option. You'd be surprised at how many people I've come across who just plant it on the ground and that's it. Making a habit to flick the roller will make stages with slopes a lot less of a pain. This is also especially important for something like the Carbon Roller, which doesn't instantly splat an enemy when you roll over them. (A good flick will do the job though.) Or for the Dynamo Rollers, which move like molasses, but get much better coverage this way.

The roller ink flick is the main event as far as combat goes, you are only really going to get roll kills around corners. Even if you sneak up on someone you should be doing so by bringing the roller down on their head, not rolling over them.

It's only really the Dynamo Roller where flicks are also the best option for painting except for narrow corridors where the flick becomes time and ink inefficient.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I will straight up let you borrow my squid amiibo as long as you're not a creepy goon. Just don't buy a $40 toy from Video Games NY

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

It makes me sad that JP and Euro players don't know the joy of booyah :(

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

quote:

Roller stuff.

WHOOPS yeah, nevermind my bit there. I clearly don't know how to use any rollers that aren't carbon anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did the 3-packs get restocked in Canada as well? Still haven't seen them anywhere.

Can I join a group with a friend, and queue normal turf wars with 2 people, or do I need a full 4? Haven't tried any group play yet but a friend is picking up the game, so we'd like to know our options.

• Locked thread