Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

My Lovely Horse posted:

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

I have a real hard time driving like a civilized person for a couple hours after playing Mad Max. I'm like, "I'll cut across this exit ramp, boost over the embankment, hit crosswise in the opposite lane and I'll be set. It'll save me so much time!" Then I remember I roll a twelve-year-old Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

I got this with a pressing urge to destroy smartcars when I was playing Saints Row 3.

That's just a natural instinct.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

My Lovely Horse posted:

So my commute leads through a freight station full of shipping containers. Today I started feeling vaguely uneasy looking at them, until I realized what I felt was the urge to fulton them all away. This isn't going to end well. Last time it was GTA3 and I couldn't walk past a parked sports car for months without at least feeling a little twinge telling me to jump in and make a run for it.

The original Splinter Cell was an OK game but it was a real trip suddenly being acutely aware of how many of those boxy white security cameras there are everywhere after having a pavlovian response to them drilled into you over the course of the game.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Buzkashi posted:

I got this with a pressing urge to destroy smartcars when I was playing Saints Row 3.

The designers know. One of the challenges is to destroy 50 of them. There's also a challenge to murder 50 mascots. I loved gunning those fuckers down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lagomorphic posted:

The designers know. One of the challenges is to destroy 50 of them. There's also a challenge to murder 50 mascots. I loved gunning those fuckers down.

Many a mission was delayed with a cry of "MASCOT!" while co-oping with a friend of mine :allears:. It turned into a race to see if I could run them down before he shot them from the passenger seat.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
So the new Destiny expansion has these daily heroic missions which are harder versions of regular ones. Yesterday someone was running it and found a door that had always been closed open, and when they went in they got a secret quest. That secret quest is very hard and you have a 10min time limit, but if you beat it you get an exotic sniper rifle (best tier in the game).

There was nothing really alluding to it and It's only accessible if your team doesn't die in the parts leading up and you rush through. The fact that it was found by accident is amazing, and now it's created a rush to see how much more is hidden behind other missions. There's nothing like that sense of wonder being one of the first people to discover something, and Destiny is rolling in that right now.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Judge Tesla posted:

Well the Fallen punishment for failure is to have the two lower arms chopped off, hence the Dregs having two, so I guess they've learned not to get too used to them.

Maybe they're the hands the Fallen wipe with. I need to read the grimoire

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I feel so uncreative because my MGS5 logo is BOX WHISKEY.

I got PURPLE MAMBA after using NAKED OPERATIONS for a while.

There's a metal container at the employee entrance where I work and I keep wanting to climb it and fulton out.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm one of those dicks that has the MGS codec sound for texts and alert sound for everything else on my phone. Yes it gets confusing if I'm playing the games and get an email or whatever but that's balanced out by the inevitable jump of panic that it gives any other nerds in the vicinity.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm one of those dicks that has the MGS codec sound for texts and alert sound for everything else on my phone. Yes it gets confusing if I'm playing the games and get an email or whatever but that's balanced out by the inevitable jump of panic that it gives any other nerds in the vicinity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8gGckCm3RI

It's popular enough to be in a Disney movie, if you're trying to bait nerds it's probably the best non-Nintendo sound effect out there.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The only game I've played that bled into real life for me was Just Cause 2. I have a vivid memory of seeing a radio tower of the highway and thinking that I needed to drive there immediately and destroy it, because I hadn't gotten that base yet. Destroying poo poo in that game is just so much fun.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Driving after an extended Katamari Damacy session was particularly stressful. "Yeah, I'm probably big enough to pick up that mailbox NO WAIT!"

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

NonzeroCircle posted:

I have the ps1 alert theme for my ringtone. Including the "Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAKE!"

Mine is BOX BOX. Super uncreative. Is there a box picture? I have the foxhound logo on it now but I would like box x 3.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Strife posted:

The only game I've played that bled into real life for me was Just Cause 2. I have a vivid memory of seeing a radio tower of the highway and thinking that I needed to drive there immediately and destroy it, because I hadn't gotten that base yet. Destroying poo poo in that game is just so much fun.

For me it was GTA. Back when I was a university student without even a drivers license, I always walked everywhere. Walking is awfully slow going though, so occasionally the thought would creep in that I should steal a NOPE! This is real life, brain, cut it out! :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sometimes after I play mario I get the urge to jump on people.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thin Privilege posted:

I have the ps1 alert theme for my ringtone. Including the "Snake? Snake! SNAAAAAKE!"

Mine is BOX BOX. Super uncreative. Is there a box picture? I have the foxhound logo on it now but I would like box x 3.

Ah, the Patriots' B3 project. The aim to reproduce the circumstances of the shadow boxes incident to turn anyone into Solid box, the receptacle that defeated Big Box.

I decided I really like the emblem part unlocking. Most games have rewards for collections and whatnot only when doing everything but Phantom Pain gives emblem bits as minor rewards for things like base capture, S ranking or codename unlocks and even animal capture.
I'm trying to get all the story S ranks to get the Raiden costume and while some missions are giving me hell, it's nice to see that the earlier efforts won't have gone completely to waste if I can't master the whole thing.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Thin Privilege posted:

Yes, there is a box picture. I went for a simple reference:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I had to put up GTA3 for about 6 months after I realized I was no longer bothering to look at stoplights.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You guys won't believe what I did after playing postal 2

Or maybe you will, because I'm a functioning adult who can distinguish between games and reality

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Well that's fun.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I got in a fight the other day and after knocking the guy out I accidentally fulton extracted him without thinking. Don't know where I even got the device and have no idea where the guy went.

What do I do?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I got in a fight the other day and after knocking the guy out I accidentally fulton extracted him without thinking. Don't know where I even got the device and have no idea where the guy went.

What do I do?

Fulton a sandwich and a GPS unit. Hopefully it goes where ever he went.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What do I do?

Didn't even check his stats before extracting? Pssh :reject:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I'm not 100% sure, but I have a hunch that firstperson-staring at D-Dog in the command chopper makes him bark every so often as if to say WHAT

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

As a freshman in high school, I tried to hit M to bring up the overhead map to get to 6th Period. Then I remembered I was not playing Star Wars Galaxies.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Buzkashi posted:

Once I found that there was an actual challenge involving destroying them I had a hard time not chasing those little fuckers down.

I didn't even need a challenge to make me blow up every last Hummer limo though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

What do I do?

You're going to extract him?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sniper Party posted:

From "BOX", two phantoms were born...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sniper Party posted:

Specifically, the box emblem part's lying around on Mother Base. I think on the Command Deck, but don't hold me to that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

3 posted:

well this is just excellent

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
"BOXDIE is a type of retrovirus that targets and kills only specific corrugated paper constructs." - Naomi Hunter

On topic, I was thinking how nice of an immersive touch it is that the iDroid in MGSV doesn't pause things, but that there is a separate pause menu for any of the infinite reasons that every game needs a pause button.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Then iDroid is an incredibly powerful and important gaming interface, and 100% in line with the cassette-based technology of 1984 Afghanistan.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I still start planning ways to climb cell towers and church steeples when I see them, thanks to Watch_dogs and Assassin's creed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chard posted:

Then iDroid is an incredibly powerful and important gaming interface, and 100% in line with the cassette-based technology of 1984 Afghanistan.

The cassette player's a plain old Sony one on Snake's hip that's plugged into the iDroid.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

3 posted:

Perfect

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I absolutely adore how almost everyone here has settled in for what I can only call "barbie-pink" as the color of their helicopter. :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sniper Party posted:

3 posted:

:vince:

Xoidanor posted:

I absolutely adore how almost everyone here has settled in for what I can only call "barbie-pink" as the color of their helicopter. :allears:

I'm sad that there is no hot pink option for the helicopter, especially considering some of the pink colors you can put on your weapons :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In Skyrim I never paid attention to what ingredients made what or were worth collecting, so whenever I walked anywhere I'd grab all the flowers. When walking down the street in real life I found myself thinking that I should be picking the flowers I saw.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anytime I'm in a medical type building, everything from the dentist to my optometrist, I find my thumb smashing an imaginary B button in a vain attempt to speed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chard posted:

Going through the games chronologically, it's weird that they previously build all these mega-badass huge Metal Gears and all this advanced tech, and then you get to the MSX games and the TX-55 and the Metal Gear D seem like a major step down. Even REX seems pretty primitive now. Though I'm sure they'll retcon the poo poo out of that if they remake MG1 and MG2SS.