Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I'd like something that "feels" like a car, looks like a semi, and handles like Grave Digger. Oh, and I'll pay $50,000 for it if you call it a trim line that makes me feel good about myself. - The American car-buying public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mange Mite posted:

They don't cell the Amarok in America, the truck market.

There's a massive global truck market, the US and Canada only represent the superficially similar yet distinct TRUCK market.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MikeyTsi posted:

I'd like something that "feels" like a car, looks like a semi, and handles like Grave Digger. Oh, and I'll pay $50,000 for it if you call it a trim line that makes me feel good about myself. - The American car-buying public.

The SUPER TEXAS COME AND TAKE IT Edition

There you go manufacturers, I just made one of you another 10 billion dollars in truck sales

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Can someone test a chipped 2500 series truck rolling coal vs a vw tdi? I'm just curious which is worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

There's a massive global truck market, the US and Canada only represent the superficially similar yet distinct TRUCK market.

Define "massive"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

You're making it sound like Grave Digger handling is a bad thing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Like Toyota was bragging about selling 5 million Hiluxes worldwide in the past 10 years but that's still less than just sales of the F series in just the US for the same time period (~7.5 million units).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

You're making it sound like Grave Digger handling is a bad thing.

yeah them things haul rear end and turn p good for a 10,000lb lump of .125 'murican sheet metal high strength steel tubing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

go3 posted:

There you go manufacturers, I just made one of you another 10 billion dollars in truck sales

SUPER CHIEF is a real truck, so this isn't that far off.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Truck talk reminds me, I saw my first Mercedes GLE Coupe today. Their BMW X6 competitor. I'm not sure if it's more or less appalling than the X6. I guess it's not as shocking because I'm desensitized to 4-door coupe hatchback trucks now. It's still ugly though.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

go3 posted:

Truck manufacturers are just trolling the poo poo out of people to see how ugly and how overpriced they can make them and still bilk gullible people out of money

Not trucks, but my favourite example of that attitude is the new Bentley SUV. It has a hideously ugly and tasteless clock as an option. For 170k. The car itself costs about 230k. It is the most transparent "lol let's see how much rich people with no taste will pay" pricing ever and I love it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AlmightyPants posted:

Truck talk reminds me, I saw my first Mercedes GLE Coupe today. Their BMW X6 competitor. I'm not sure if it's more or less appalling than the X6. I guess it's not as shocking because I'm desensitized to 4-door coupe hatchback trucks now. It's still ugly though.

I don't understand this fastback shape at all. It's like a wagon/hatch how you don't get a separate trunk, but it seems like it would be useless from a practicality view. Something like the GLA/A class is understandable, a little jacked up hatchback. But that stuff? yeesh.

Also I don't know why but I find the shape of the CLA intensely annoying. I was behind one on the drive home today and everything about the rear of that car is horrible. The weird window shape, the lights, everything. From the front it doesn't look bad but the back is horrific.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Not trucks, but my favourite example of that attitude is the new Bentley SUV. It has a hideously ugly and tasteless clock as an option. For 170k. The car itself costs about 230k. It is the most transparent "lol let's see how much rich people with no taste will pay" pricing ever and I love it.

The "base" Bentayga is 230K, and the fancy Breitlin clock is actually 235K. Yes, the optional fancy-pants clock is more expensive than the car itself.

But for that money, you get a fully mechanical clock that will flip three times every 15 minutes to wind itself, and you can make it flip on command with a special button on the dash, ostensibly to "impress" your "friends".

It is by far the most :jerkbag: thing ever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

RillAkBea posted:

The gull wing doors are great, I had the pleasure of seeing a whole line-up of AZ-1s with the doors wide open earlier this year.

Good point on the engine actually. I drove a regular boxy kei for work last year and the regular 660 engines in those things are fairly underwhelming at the best of times and god help you if put them on a manual transmission. I imagine with 6 gears in that thing that Honda might have found a way to make it a little more bearable but the manuals I've been in felt like they wanted to stall out on every change. Also the boxy ones are fairly exciting in strong winds.

Unfortunately the manufacturers have the Japanese public convinced that used cars/old cars are :siren:DANGEROUS:siren: so most things on the road are under 10 years old, which means of course they're boring and dumb. (Prius with a "sports" package, anyone?) There is at least one pretty cool garage near me though, has a big sign advertising classic cars and for the longest time I thought it was just marketing because the front lot is all camper vans. Then one day I caught a glimpse of the inside, which is full of old Zs and GT-Rs in various states of restoration/modification. :aaaaa: On a regular basis I mostly just see stuff like Miata/MX-5/Roadsters, Copens, modern Zs, the occasional GT-R and more trashy Silvias than I would care to remember. I used to live up north though where it's Subaru and Evo's all day, every day.

The good thing about Japan disliking 'old' cars is that they often end up being shipped out for not much cash. I found a Nissan Stagea in really solid condition for a quite ridiculous $3k boasting a 240bhp from its 2.5l straight six. Oh and it was on a set of Advan Onis for extra JDM cred. Just wish I had the cash to get it over here!

Also you need to get some photos of that garage please, they obviously make cash on the campers and then feed it into the other cars. A few friends and myself have a lovely car page on facebook and one of the dudes that follows it owns the Star Road tuning shop over the East side of Tokyo and he puts out these beauties...

Dream car stuff right there. Probably gonna settle for a kei though for now. :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The "base" Bentayga is 230K, and the fancy Breitlin clock is actually 235K. Yes, the optional fancy-pants clock is more expensive than the car itself.

But for that money, you get a fully mechanical clock that will flip three times every 15 minutes to wind itself, and you can make it flip on command with a special button on the dash, ostensibly to "impress" your "friends".

It is by far the most :jerkbag: thing ever.

Of course it would be Breitling.

God what a beautiful car!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Linedance posted:

Of course it would be Breitling.

It's not just any Breitling, it's a Breitling Mulliner Tourbillon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not just any Breitling, it's a Breitling Mulliner Tourbillon.

I imagine the marketing executive who dreamed up that Bentley abomination, who probably fired every designer who couldn't replicate his hideous vision, looked at his Breitling adorned wrist and thought "you know what, if you put one of these ~perfect machines~ in my glorious creation, I would happily pay double for it".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

88h88 posted:

The good thing about Japan disliking 'old' cars is that they often end up being shipped out for not much cash. I found a Nissan Stagea in really solid condition for a quite ridiculous $3k boasting a 240bhp from its 2.5l straight six. Oh and it was on a set of Advan Onis for extra JDM cred. Just wish I had the cash to get it over here!

Also you need to get some photos of that garage please, they obviously make cash on the campers and then feed it into the other cars. A few friends and myself have a lovely car page on facebook and one of the dudes that follows it owns the Star Road tuning shop over the East side of Tokyo and he puts out these beauties...

Dream car stuff right there. Probably gonna settle for a kei though for now. :)

I think they also make it really annoying to get them road certified and have inadvantageous tax structure for them, too. It's pretty much a sort of subsidy. Instead a lot of their used cars get sent to southeast asia and the like.

Also the funny thing is a lot of Japanese still don't really think Japanese cars are that reliable. Having a large guaranteed domestic market means that in the past they used it to work out the kinks in new models before exporting them.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

go3 posted:

I won't lie, that'd get me to check out a truck.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

go3 posted:

It can be like one of those art cars they make with the fake gun mounts on the hood. Also armored louvers on the windows.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the BMW X3 cheating thing also true?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CharlesM posted:

Is the BMW X3 cheating thing also true?

Apparently it only exceeds requirements in "rural uphill" testing phase.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

go3 posted:

All the manufacturers already have Texas specific or Texas inspired models for sale here.

Ford King Ranch and XLT "Texas Edition" F-150's, Chevy 1500 Texas Edition, RAM 1500 Lone Star, Tundra Texas Edition and Tundra 1794 Edition. poo poo even Nissan sells a Texas Titan package here.

I do like the thought of a super texas come and take it edition though. Only if the tailgate has a airbrushed scene of the Battle of the Alamo, and no less than 12 chrome plated Texas Star badges

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Posted this in the VW thread as well, but it's worth putting here too.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0RP14U20150925

Germany confirmed that 2.8 million domestic VWs had rigged emissions tests. So, it's likely the full 11 million number thrown out earlier could be hit.

VW is truly and deeply hosed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

skipdogg posted:

All the manufacturers already have Texas specific or Texas inspired models for sale here.

Ford King Ranch and XLT "Texas Edition" F-150's, Chevy 1500 Texas Edition, RAM 1500 Lone Star, Tundra Texas Edition and Tundra 1794 Edition. poo poo even Nissan sells a Texas Titan package here.

I do like the thought of a super texas come and take it edition though. Only if the tailgate has a airbrushed scene of the Battle of the Alamo, and no less than 12 chrome plated Texas Star badges

Nothing would be better than a Texas Come And Take It edition pickup sitting at a light, when some old Datsun lowrider pickup with a Mexican flag draped in the back window rolls up, honks "La cucaracha", and pulls away - "We're Trying" embossed on the tailgate.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's about a cannon not land though

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

quote:

"VW needs to think big and bold," Warburton said, urging the new CEO to offer to buy back and scrap almost 500,000 diesel cars sold in the United States, which would cost about $6 billion, as well as suspend the 100 engineers most closely associated with the affected engines and software.

Come on now, what are you supposed to do as an engineer when your job is on the line? That's a hosed-if-you-do, hosed-if-you-don't situation that you have no control over.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them could have become a whistle blower. No sympathy.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them could have become a whistle blower. No sympathy.

What he said. It's been going on for years with more and more cars. Maybe you could argue that not that many engineers were involved with the ecu tweaking specifically for the emissions test but there's a lot of emissions engineers who must have seen the numbers as red flags.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not only that, but various levels of QA and testing.

It was a broad reaching decision that had to be drat near common knowledge at the company for the number of people that would have had to look away. I'm sure many people were told that it wasn't a big deal and not to worry about it. But it couldn't have been secret.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hikaki posted:

Come on now, what are you supposed to do as an engineer when your job is on the line? That's a hosed-if-you-do, hosed-if-you-don't situation that you have no control over.

Umm, I would think as an engineer, you would "practice integrity and fair dealing..." and "participate in none but honest enterprises".
Maybe that doesn't apply in Germany? I dunno.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jamie@vwvortex;88360576 posted:

Additional September 25th Statement:

Statement by the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG

The Volkswagen Supervisory Board consulted intensively on the current situation at its meeting today. There is absolutely no excuse for the manipulations which have deeply shocked Volkswagen. The company will leave no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of this, will call those responsible to account, and take the necessary actions. The first consequences in this regard were agreed upon at today's meeting:

1. The Supervisory Board has authorized the Chairman to mandate German and US lawyers to objectively investigate and fully clarify the manipulation of emissions data of diesel engines.

2. The Executive Committee of the Supervisory Board will be charged with coordinating and safeguarding all necessary steps to monitor clarification until such time as a proposed committee commences its work.

3. With the information currently available the Supervisory Board recommended the immediate suspension of some employees. This process is already underway.

4. Matthias Müller will lead the Volkswagen Group going forward as the new CEO of Volkswagen AG. He is what the company needs now. Matthias Müller is exactly the right man at the right time to make a fresh start and to drive clarification of the current crisis that has hit our company with decisiveness and to draw the right conclusions. We expressly value his critical and constructive approach.

5. The Supervisory Board resolved to propose to the Extraordinary Meeting of Shareholders on November 9, 2015 to elect Mr. Hans Dieter Pötsch as a member of the Supervisory Board. The Supervisory Board intends to subsequently elect him as its Chairman.

Berthold Huber, Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board, said: "The test manipulations are a moral and political disaster for Volkswagen. The unlawful behavior of engineers and technicians involved in engine development shocked Volkswagen just as much as it shocked the public. We can only apologize and ask our customers, the public, the authorities and our investors to give us a chance to make amends." The Supervisory Board today commissioned an American law firm to assist in further clarification and in preparing the necessary steps.

Looks like they're going to try and lay it all on the engineers? Because naturally no one in management would have had anything to do with this. :lol:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

fknlo posted:

Looks like they're going to try and lay it all on the engineers? Because naturally no one in management would have had anything to do with this. :lol:

I would love if "German engineering" shifted from just meaning efficient and reliable to just being a colloquialism for cheating or sneaky dealings. Alright class, when I say go you can flip over your tests and begin using a number two pencil, and eyes forward. I don't want to see any "German engineering"

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I guess I'll say that I have sympathy for an engineer that had to choose between ethics and livelihood. I don't think any engineer at that level would have the same motivation to do shady poo poo that an exec would. Maybe some of the senior or lead guys with stock options, but most are just trying to earn their salary.

I'll concede to this though: in the end, they made their choice and now they have to deal with the consequences. But I'm not going to pretend that everyone involved here was a mustache-twirling villain.

BraveUlysses posted:

With how the US treats whistleblowers, I'm not surprised that people don't do it. Maybe Germany is different.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's one of the many reasons I'm extremely thankful to be a unionized engineer. You're not going to get to fire me for speaking out when someone asks me to do something illegal or tries to compromise the quality of our airplanes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Things are about to get spicy in Europe!

quote:

But the scandal keeps growing. German transport minister Alexander Dobrindt said on Thursday Volkswagen had also cheated tests in Europe, where its sales are much higher than in the United States. On Friday Dobrindt put the number of affected vehicles in Germany at 2.8 million.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0RP14U20150925

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

It's one of the many reasons I'm extremely thankful to be a unionized engineer. You're not going to get to fire me for speaking out when someone asks me to do something illegal or tries to compromise the quality of our airplanes.

Boeing, I take it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

Boeing, I take it?

Yup, just about 9 years here mostly working on the 787.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bentley is going to sell a squillion Belugas, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ Well, they're not diesels, so they're safe on that front :v: And yeah, they'll sell like the proverbial high-temperature baked goods. With or without the optional $235K Breitling clock.

fknlo posted:

That is why you make sure to get everything in writing/email and back it up securely, if anything even remotely suspicious is asked of you.

If the higher-ups can just say "well, he did it of his own volition, it was absolutely not a direct order from management" and you have no proof to the contrary, you are hosed. In most European countries, your union will do everything they can to help, but with no proof, you'll probably take the fall anyway.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 25, 2015