Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
It's everyone. It's been chugging hard for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Asiina posted:

I don't care one way or the other about hats.

Definitely original and update weapons only. I hate the targe, but I would put up with it for my backburner and flaregun. Absolutely no community weapons, that's what destroyed TF2.

The following maps only:

Required:
Granary
Well (CP)
2fort
Hydro
Dustbowl
Gravelpit
Goldrush
Badlands
Badwater Basin

Optional
Steel
Turbine
Fastlane
Well (CTF)

fuuuuuuuuuck no on hydro. not too hot on 2fort either but i'll tolerate it.

add Upward
Gorge
uhhh
Glassworks and Stoneyridge
can't think of any others off the top of my head

Throwing another vote in for Steel and Fastlane. Dunno about Turbine...

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
2fort I could take it or leave it. As long as people don't lose their minds and start stacking engis and snipers because lol sniperfort :v: then it's fun.

I will fite u about hydro though. Hiding out in the pit 4 lyfe.

Also if anyone wants to play right now add me on steam.

Adus I think I can bring in some of the old PA crew if you want to play with them again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hey, I was talking about a TF2 server a while ago, and I wrote down some of my thoughts about how we might do this. Anyone have any input?

I respect your urge to set up a server for the community, but that is quite probably the number one game I've encountered on my list of "my friends all find this to be an utterly fantastic experience, but for me it's completely miserable and I don't understand why." Whenever I try and play it, I get on a server, whatever, game starts, I leave my base, get shot, die. Respawn, get shot, die again. Respawn, shoot at another guy, miss, get shot, die again. Respawn etc. etc. etc. etc. You get the idea.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Upward and Gorge are probably the only maps I'd fight for or against on the list. I can tolerate Hydro if other people like it.

And yeah definitely get any of those guys in on it if they're up for it.

I'd like to play now but I'm on a WoW raid like the frail 30 year old nerd that I am.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Allen Wren posted:

I respect your urge to set up a server for the community, but that is quite probably the number one game I've encountered on my list of "my friends all find this to be an utterly fantastic experience, but for me it's completely miserable and I don't understand why." Whenever I try and play it, I get on a server, whatever, game starts, I leave my base, get shot, die. Respawn, get shot, die again. Respawn, shoot at another guy, miss, get shot, die again. Respawn etc. etc. etc. etc. You get the idea.

the way I learned to play TF2 was: play a bunch of medic, because it's always useful and needed, and it's hard to really be bad at it. through that you'll kind of pick up on how the other classes operate until you feel more comfortable fighting as or against them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think what I'll probably do once I get the :10bux: and :effort: to learn how to set up a decent server is set up a poll on how people feel about all the Valve maps. Enough of a percentage of the playerbase wants a map removed from rotation, it will be. Then, any non-valve maps that get enough write-ins will be added.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Adus posted:

the way I learned to play TF2 was: play a bunch of medic, because it's always useful and needed, and it's hard to really be bad at it. through that you'll kind of pick up on how the other classes operate until you feel more comfortable fighting as or against them.

I mostly did play as medic. That's how bad it was/I am.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 27, 2020

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I can't believe people still want to play FPS games when Super Mario Maker exists

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm like 35 hours into mgs5 and my completion counter says 24%

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Ecco, next time you run a game can I pick the letter?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Little Mac posted:

I can't believe people still want to play FPS games when Super Mario Maker exists

it's completely awesome that such a thing exists, but i couldn't be less interested in actually playing it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ecco, next time you run a game can I pick the letter?

yes but you have to play in it too them's the rules.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

imgay posted:

I'm like 35 hours into mgs5 and my completion counter says 24%

How much of that time is cutscenes?

Rarity posted:

I hope you're all rested now!

I am! The staying awake helped. We decided to work on a puzzle I brought back from the states. It's a large map of the world in the form of a globe. We managed to do all the land masses, but seriously gently caress the oceans. We were super groggy but helped us focus as best we could and stay awake. I may cheat and finish it today... but maybe I won't.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How much of that time is cutscenes?

34.5 hours

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

nah they can't make the cutscenes long this time because keifer sutherland is too expensive

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

EccoRaven posted:

I played exclusively as medic because I am a support class irl.
for similar reasons I played heavy mainly

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Surprisingly mgs5 is very light on the cut scenes. Most the story is told through cassette tapes you find. Also Snake has like 1 line of dialogue every 2 hours and even that is like "*grunts* yeah" or just like him saying a name ".....kaz". Its a very different game from its predecessors.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rip Hideo

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Konami already making MGS6. Its a pachinko machine though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I've never heard of this Super Mario Maker. It's not listed anywhere on Steam.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm keen for TF2, i'm actually not terrible at it

not sure why you'd want it without hats and full items

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not a 2fort fan at all

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

bowmore posted:

i'm not a 2fort fan at all

same

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've always wanted to play TF2 but never took the time to do so/learn how to play, mainly since I find that online FPS take some time to break into and I never had the patience to learn maps. What's the learning curve, and how long does it take to get to an average skill level?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've always wanted to play TF2 but never took the time to do so/learn how to play, mainly since I find that online FPS take some time to break into and I never had the patience to learn maps. What's the learning curve, and how long does it take to get to an average skill level?
it is a lot more forgiving than the majority of fps's

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jose Valasquez posted:

You can pry the new game announcement thread from my cold dead hands

I laughed about this and the subsequent updates to that thread more than I probably should have.

Also, a general PSA to the mafia thread, if you are in-laws with folks please don't make unannounced visits unless you are 1000% sure that there is nothing going on and/or that they will be cool with it.

RE:TF2: I am super bad at it but it is the one FPS I feel comfortable playing despite being so bad at it (I get self conscious with the rest). I will happily post mediocre K/D's with yall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I love playing Medic and Engineer because good healing or a good teleporter set-up can give you enough points to top the board even if your K/D is poo poo.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Man you guys are lame 2fort is the best.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
TF2 is great. Hats are awesome, I'll never understand the hatred of hats

I could take or leave most of the new items as long as I can have charge & targe and the huntsman and whichever spy cloak thing it is that cloaks you when you get hit (dead ringer I think? it's been a while)

I really like the cart push maps but I don't remember what any of them are called. 2fort sucks hard, CTF in general in TF2 is not very good imo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

I really like the cart push maps but I don't remember what any of them are called.
Dustbowl is the most played cart push map by a big margin.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
ah yes dustbowl, also.. goldrush I think??

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Also 32 man turbine is excellent.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I need more players for Slack Mafia

Since this game will occur offsite in an intriguing new environment, you may choose to escape your meta and play under a new identity! You can PM me directly with your email (your email will show up in slack so you might want to make a throwaway) and I will put you on the roster here as ~Secret Mystery Player~, and you can choose whatever fresh name you want in the Slack.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My previous posts about the old New Game Announcement thread were jokes because I don't actually care very much about who runs what thread, I honestly was surprised when Ecco PMed me that my thread was still around, but the new thread does not serve the purpose of the old thread at all.

The reason we created the old thread was so that people wouldn't have to dig through the garbage discussion happening in this thread to find out about games that were starting. "Casual" Mafia players who didn't want to sit through "game theory" and other circlejerks could just follow that thread and jump in to a game when they wanted to.

The new thread is already at 2 pages and only has one game announcement. New game announcement and in depth discussions about game mechanics are completely different. Where am I supposed to go once a year when I need a Mafia fix but don't want to dig through endless discussions about stuff I don't care about to find a Mafia game that is recruiting?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

My previous posts about the old New Game Announcement thread were jokes because I don't actually care very much about who runs what thread, I honestly was surprised when Ecco PMed me that my thread was still around, but the new thread does not serve the purpose of the old thread at all.

The reason we created the old thread was so that people wouldn't have to dig through the garbage discussion happening in this thread to find out about games that were starting. "Casual" Mafia players who didn't want to sit through "game theory" and other circlejerks could just follow that thread and jump in to a game when they wanted to.

The new thread is already at 2 pages and only has one game announcement. New game announcement and in depth discussions about game mechanics are completely different. Where am I supposed to go once a year when I need a Mafia fix but don't want to dig through endless discussions about stuff I don't care about to find a Mafia game that is recruiting?

perhaps you should check the OP of that thread that has games currently in signups

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
(that is to say it is not a perfect solution but i have a feeling a.) mechanics discussion is going to taper off very quickly and b.) the only other option is having 3 threads which meh)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I agree with Jose and don't understand why three threads is a problem considering one of them only updates when there's a game in signups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

perhaps you should check the OP of that thread that has games currently in signups

... doesn't the OP of this thread have that