Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Pretty sure Survivor's user doesn't have any control over it, which is why DIO considered it the most useless Stand he'd ever seen.

I reread chapter 655 carefully, and you're right; it seems to be uncontrollable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Silver2195 posted:

Holly's Stand.

I like to think that if Holly's Stand fully manifested she'd have been basically Jojo Poison Ivy.

Or at the very least could have made a nice amount of money establishing a nursery.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
More part 5:
http://bato.to/read/_/345472/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v53_ch492_by_jojos-colored-adventure

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

I reread chapter 655 carefully, and you're right; it seems to be uncontrollable.

That's why DIO thought it was useless. If the user had any control over it, it would be very powerful and somthing worth keeping around.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

That part of 5 is so good.

*screaming* IT BEGINS.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's why DIO thought it was useless. If the user had any control over it, it would be very powerful and somthing worth keeping around.

I kinda want Araki to have DIO rate every Stand from now on instead of a Stand stat page.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I kinda want Araki to have DIO rate every Stand from now on instead of a Stand stat page.

It's a scale with only two points: MUDA MUDA MUDA and WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ascalapha odorata posted:

That part of 5 is so good.

*screaming* IT BEGINS.

God Bucci was so fuckin cool.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

God Bucci was so fuckin cool.

I love how his hair is still in perfect form.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Pretty sure Survivor's user doesn't have any control over it, which is why DIO considered it the most useless Stand he'd ever seen.

He considered it useless because it didn't actually make people agressive towards eachother it only amplified pre-existing aggression.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I like to think that if Holly's Stand fully manifested she'd have been basically Jojo Poison Ivy.

Or at the very least could have made a nice amount of money establishing a nursery.

Holly was in basically the same position as young Josuke, and he ended up with a stand; do we have any reason to think she didn't?

Anyway, whoever said part 7 was good was right, I've just got to the part where someone's stand power is creating a plague of were-dinosaurs.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Stairmaster posted:

He considered it useless because it didn't actually make people agressive towards eachother it only amplified pre-existing aggression.

Yeah it did, it made everyone tear each other limb from limb. It was very specific and didn't allow for teamwork. The ground had to be wet and stuff.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wild Horses posted:

Yeah it did, it made everyone tear each other limb from limb. It was very specific and didn't allow for teamwork. The ground had to be wet and stuff.

It specifically mentions it only blows pre-existing aggression way out of proportion, that's why the guards only start fighting when one of them genuinely irritates the other

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Now that I think about it, the whole premise of this mini-arc doesn't make much sense. Everyone is aging at different rates, and some of the first super-aging people we see are female, so how did they know Trish would survive? (Perhaps they predicted Trish's body temperature based on her age and approximate weight as well as her sex, but this is never mentioned.)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Dzhay posted:

Holly was in basically the same position as young Josuke, and he ended up with a stand; do we have any reason to think she didn't?

I'd always assumed that it was Dio's influence that was triggering Holly and Jotaro's stands to activate and once his influence was removed Holly's went dormant again. Josuke would have been the same but he had the gumption to punch people who made fun of his hair so his stand actually developed.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

I can't get this link to work and that makes me very sad.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
IT seems like they took down the last two translated parts. I did noticed a few notes from the editor to the translator in the margins though. So it might just be down until they clean them up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I'd always assumed that it was Dio's influence that was triggering Holly and Jotaro's stands to activate and once his influence was removed Holly's went dormant again. Josuke would have been the same but he had the gumption to punch people who made fun of his hair so his stand actually developed.

Well, he didn't have the pomp when he was developing his stand, because he had the fever from it when his car got stuck and the kindly Josukefromthefuturebutnot helped them and inspired the pomp. So he didn't have that particular complex yet, but the gumption was probably still there.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, he didn't have the pomp when he was developing his stand, because he had the fever from it when his car got stuck and the kindly Josukefromthefuturebutnot helped them and inspired the pomp. So he didn't have that particular complex yet, but the gumption was probably still there.

I'd like to think of Josuke and Polnareff as children full of gumption so I'm fine with being wrong about this.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Now that I think about it, the whole premise of this mini-arc doesn't make much sense. Everyone is aging at different rates, and some of the first super-aging people we see are female, so how did they know Trish would survive? (Perhaps they predicted Trish's body temperature based on her age and approximate weight as well as her sex, but this is never mentioned.)

That part of it was a deal where I juuuust about allowed myself a moment to wonder how the gently caress it worked and just shut myself down to move on. There are a couple Part 5 sections like that. "Wait a second, that's not how--- no, no, I'll just keep reading, gently caress it."

David D. Davidson posted:

IT seems like they took down the last two translated parts. I did noticed a few notes from the editor to the translator in the margins though. So it might just be down until they clean them up.

Yeah it looked like something slipped in on one page where they wanted to double check a translation (which I thought should have been pocket? Mista puts the ice in his pocket, right?), someone pointed it out on facebook to them and they said it wasn't intentional. Probably fixed soon enough :) When that whole fight is done w/ a better translation I'll have something to point at in a desperate attempt to silence pt 5 haters. Bruno loving wrecks it.

Dzhay posted:

Anyway, whoever said part 7 was good was right, I've just got to the part where someone's stand power is creating a plague of were-dinosaurs.

Augh now I want to read 7 again, too. I'm home sick for the 2nd day in a row with the worst cold I've had in years (I lost my loving voice last night, it's great) so I have nothing better to do

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Did he keep his stand as a kid? I thought He just got it back when he was older and had enough will or whatever, thought haven't read part 4 in forever

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Yeah it looked like something slipped in on one page where they wanted to double check a translation (which I thought should have been pocket? Mista puts the ice in his pocket, right?), someone pointed it out on facebook to them and they said it wasn't intentional. Probably fixed soon enough :) When that whole fight is done w/ a better translation I'll have something to point at in a desperate attempt to silence pt 5 haters. Bruno loving wrecks it.

Yup, back up now:
http://bato.to/read/_/346230/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v53_ch492_by_jojos-colored-adventure/1

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yay! I like that they changed the Stand card font, it's much cleaner to me now. Though I noticed two typos on the stand card page for grateful dead that I'm terrified to point out to them because they already yanked it down to fix stuff :S

Four is coming along at a good clip which is nice because it means Okuyasu can WRECK IT

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yay! I like that they changed the Stand card font, it's much cleaner to me now. Though I noticed two typos on the stand card page for grateful dead that I'm terrified to point out to them because they already yanked it down to fix stuff :S

Four is coming along at a good clip which is nice because it means Okuyasu can WRECK IT

okuyasu doesn't stop keep being the best, ever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why would you ever play as anyone other than Josuke and Okuyasu in EoH when it comes out?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurain posted:

Why would you ever play as anyone other than Josuke and Okuyasu in EoH when it comes out?

Gyro and Johnny are equal in Cool Dudes Having Fun.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Aurain posted:

Because boys are gross

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Aurain posted:

Because I'll get to play Mariah for the first time in thirteen years

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Because JoJo is a rich series with lots of fun characters who all have their unique charms :)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best answer is actually because you can double dip Dios.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Diego is the only cool Dio.

The others are just rich idiots that craved even more power like the pigs they were. Diego pulled himself up by his bootstraps and became a champion. He's basically Speedwagon but not a huge coward.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Diego is the only cool Dio.

The others are just rich idiots that craved even more power like the pigs they were. Diego pulled himself up by his bootstraps and became a champion. He's basically Speedwagon but not a huge coward.

how dare you

speedwagon never did a cowardly thing in his life!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Speedwagon always tried his best. He was a mere human surrounded by a bunch of vampires and dudes who could do breathing magic kung-fu, yet still did his best to support his friends and provide us with heartful narration of the events of a fight.

Mata ne, Speedwagon-sama

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Do you think speedwagon would have a stand, if he lived in the era for it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The Watcher

Stand appears when called, oversees action for a bit, says 'wow, poo poo's getting real,' pops back into user

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Speedwagon's stand would just be a pair of binoculars so he can look at the action from further away

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The binoculars would also indicate oil deposits and such that are nearby.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

mabels big day posted:

Do you think speedwagon would have a stand, if he lived in the era for it?

Mountain Tim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I finished part 4 and I was like "Yeah that was good"

Then I read part 5 and I was like "eh that's a pretty weak ending and I think Giorno did less than literally everyone PS Sex Pistols rules"

Then I read part 6 and was like "yeah this is fuckin swe wait what the poo poo that's how this ends are you serious this was retarded and DIO is the best ever apparently"

Then I finished part 7 and I was all hyped again until the last 5 chapters where it was I, DIO, all along. Again. Za Warudo. God bless America.