Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The evil atheist left agenda of taking care of the less fortunate oh no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Otherizing groups and screaming for ever more strict ideological purity has been working for years. Why would hardcore conservatives stop now just because it's a religious figure?

I say bring it on. Hopefully once enough people find themselves the other in that equation they'll catch a loving clue and we can bury the entire bankrupt structure.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Joementum posted:

~*~ Joey ~*~

"Hey Father, how do you get a nun pregnant by a priest? ...Dress her up like a choir boy! Hahahahahaha!"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

"Hey Father, how do you get a nun pregnant by a priest? ...Dress her up like a choir boy! Hahahahahaha!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Xand_Man posted:

I'm hoping some right wing talking head strokes out for a second and calls the Pope a secret Muslim.

The Federalist and Drudge are currently hyperventilating because in his speech the Pope never said the word "Jesus"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Joementum posted:

~*~ Joey ~*~

Kerry looks pained by Diamond Joe's gregariousness.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

You guys always forget Mary Fallin.

A Winner is Jew posted:

He has to compete with the likes of Scott Walker, Sam Brownback, Rick Snyder, Rick Scott, Bobby Jindal, and Greg Abbott. I mean that's a murderers row of assholes right there.

Those governors aren't idiots. They are highly effective at implementing their agenda in their states. Especially Walker and Brownback. Even Rick Scott did a lot including increasing his own wealth in nefarious ways and he still got re-elected.

The Maine governor is truly an idiot who doesn't understand basic concepts.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Those governors aren't idiots. They are highly effective at implementing their agenda in their states. Especially Walker and Brownback. Even Rick Scott did a lot including increasing his own wealth in nefarious ways and he still got re-elected.

The Maine governor is truly an idiot who doesn't understand basic concepts.

Jindal's not very effective at passing his agenda because the Louisiana establishment hates him for running his pathetic presidential campaign since he was elected. Also calling Walker not an "idiot" is being very generous.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fried Chicken posted:

The Federalist and Drudge are currently hyperventilating because in his speech the Pope never said the word "Jesus"

If he had, would be accusing him of being pro-Mexican.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Kerry looks pained by Diamond Joe's gregariousness.

John Kerry always looks pained.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Are you a hater or a loser? You might want to be careful naming the GOP presidential candidate who called you that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fried Chicken posted:

Pope confirmed muslim/jew.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Those governors aren't idiots. They are highly effective at implementing their agenda in their states. Especially Walker and Brownback.

You can be real good at hammering nails through your dick, but that don't make you smart fer it

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

He has to compete with the likes of Scott Walker, Sam Brownback, Rick Snyder, Rick Scott, Bobby Jindal, and Greg Abbott. I mean that's a murderers row of assholes right there.

I still argue that Gov Nathan Deal is the platonic ideal of corruption.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

John Kerry always looks pained.

My mental image of Kerry for better than a decade now is that of a muppet raisin with a wig.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mentioned this in the Right-wing thread but noted constitutional scholar, Rush Limbaugh actually came out and said that he doesn't know where in the constitution it says that no religious test will be applied to people who want to run for president.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Interweb posted:

Mentioned this in the Right-wing thread but noted constitutional scholar, Rush Limbaugh actually came out and said that he doesn't know where in the constitution it says that no religious test will be applied to people who want to run for president.

Fair enough.

Hindu Shaktas only. :getin:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Didn't Trump learn anything from Arnold Schwarzenegger's run as governor, that you give up your image rights the moment you become a public figure? If he wanted to retain control over his "brand", he shouldn't have bothered to run for office.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

And I don't understand why, but so many people will except this and argue it as fact despite how easy it is to be proven wrong.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hangedman1984 posted:

And I don't understand why, but so many people will except this and argue it as fact despite how easy it is to be proven wrong.

Isn't living in a post-factual society awesome? gently caress your liberal-biased reality, there's truthiness in what Rush says.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Shakenbaker posted:

My mental image of Kerry for better than a decade now is that of a muppet raisin with a wig.

Can't un-see.

Mr Interweb posted:

To be fair, Article 6 is a bit of a "miscellaneous" section. Like I'm not going to pretend this isn't dumb because Google is a thing, but I could see someone assuming it'd be in Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 and only looking there. I mean that's still stupid, but it's somewhat comprehensible of a mistake.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 25, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

El Rushbo doesn't know poo poo about poo poo. A surprising moment of honesty?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Jackson Taus posted:

To be fair, Article 6 is a bit of a "miscellaneous" section. Like I'm not going to pretend this isn't dumb because Google is a thing, but I could see someone assuming it'd be in Article 2, Section 1, Clause 5 and only looking there. I mean that's still stupid, but it's somewhat comprehensible of a mistake.

Sure, but were this brought to Rush's attention, I don't think he'd then go "oh well poo poo, guess it's right there, so yeah, nothing wrong with an Islamic president."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

This flagrant popery and tide of Romishness will not stand! Furthermore, I have words to say on the Mahometans and their false god Termagant.

There is no God but Termagant, and Baphomet is his prophet!

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Maybe Leonard J. Crabbs could lend a hand?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People should bring up Teri Schiavo more often, it involves two of our current stars! Jeb Bush deployed the police to forcibly keep a woman alive against her and her husbands' wishes in order to score political points. He even got his little brother, the president of the US, to help!

Rick Santorum was involved too, proposing a bill that gave the Federal government power to decide the fate of a single citizen (which was passed without a vote!)

Basically it's a great example of current Republicans being morally bankrupt idiots incapable and unworthy of serving a public office.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

~*~ Joey ~*~

There have been a lot of great poliphotos in 2015 but this is easily top-three

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I think most people just think of "The Constitution" as being a handful of Amendments they are familiar with. Never mind that "amendment" implies there's a whole other document that's being added to.

Did the Pope just not say the word "Jesus" - I have a hard time believing he didn't mention God at all.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Spite posted:

I think most people just think of "The Constitution" as being a handful of Amendments they are familiar with. Never mind that "amendment" implies there's a whole other document that's being added to.

Did the Pope just not say the word "Jesus" - I have a hard time believing he didn't mention God at all.

2nd
Sometimes 1st if it helps me
gently caress you

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Spite posted:

He mentioned God--and Moses, Catholic thinkers, and quoted the Bible as well as Vatican encyclicals. It's that he didn't say the word "Jesus" that they have an issue with. They're either looking for some plausible-sounding bullshit to discredit the Pope's spiritual authority or they're legitimately shocked to encounter a spiritual leader who doesn't sound like a slimy televangelist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Always relevant to discussions of the Constitution: http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Precambrian posted:

He mentioned God--and Moses, Catholic thinkers, and quoted the Bible as well as Vatican encyclicals. It's that he didn't say the word "Jesus" that they have an issue with. They're either looking for some plausible-sounding bullshit to discredit the Pope's spiritual authority or they're legitimately shocked to encounter a spiritual leader who doesn't sound like a slimy televangelist.

That Catholic thought does this - goes heavily into teachings and encyclicals, invokes the saints and martyrs, and says "God" instead of "Jesus" except for when talking about things Jesus explicitly said and did - is one of the big hallmarks separating them from protestant. It is also the sort of the old old old bigotry they are invoking here, that if you don't say "Jesus" in the place of every other theological source (even the ones that Jesus had nothing to do with, which by volume is most if it) you are committing idolatry and deceiving people so as to lead them to hell.

They are going back to a strain of hate that has been dead for most of 100 years outside of chick tracks. That's they only thing they have to defend their policies, hate, so they leap to it, even here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Stereotype posted:

People should bring up Teri Schiavo more often, it involves two of our current stars! Jeb Bush deployed the police to forcibly keep a woman alive against her and her husbands' wishes in order to score political points. He even got his little brother, the president of the US, to help!

Rick Santorum was involved too, proposing a bill that gave the Federal government power to decide the fate of a single citizen (which was passed without a vote!)

Basically it's a great example of current Republicans being morally bankrupt idiots incapable and unworthy of serving a public office.

Jeb's doing a good enough job of ending his campaign without having to drag the husband into the spotlight again.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Precambrian posted:

It's both. If the Holy See was saying outright that corporations and sperm should vote (Republican) the Religious Right in this country would be all over the Pope. Since he isn't, they aren't. God is there to help those who help themselves after all...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

~*~ Joey ~*~

I can't even conceive of what you'd have to say to get a Cardinal to double over laughing. It's beyond comprehension for this former Catholic.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Doctors are biologists.

Nah, they're really more like meat engineers, mostly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Munkeymon posted:

Meat technicians.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

Organic mechanics, really.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Mister Macys posted:

Isn't the Pope essentially an elected dictator for life though? I can understand not having unquestioning control outside the Vatican, but doesn't he have full authority over whatever views he wants the Church to officially espouse?

Obviously, some start is better than nothing at all, but isn't the speed of change directly up to the Pope?

Popes die early if they are too far out of step. Or get retired. Ratzinger almost certainly got forced out, for a recent example. It's better to let the Church go where you want it to than trying to force it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

Fried Chicken posted:

That Catholic thought does this - goes heavily into teachings and encyclicals, invokes the saints and martyrs, and says "God" instead of "Jesus" except for when talking about things Jesus explicitly said and did - is one of the big hallmarks separating them from protestant. It is also the sort of the old old old bigotry they are invoking here, that if you don't say "Jesus" in the place of every other theological source (even the ones that Jesus had nothing to do with, which by volume is most if it) you are committing idolatry and deceiving people so as to lead them to hell.

They are going back to a strain of hate that has been dead for most of 100 years outside of chick tracks. That's they only thing they have to defend their policies, hate, so they leap to it, even here

Which is funny, because evangelicals also seem unaware that Jesus' teachings departed from those of the Old Testament in significant ways.

Like,

Old Testament God: commands that you capture enemy cities and kill everyone except for the women, who he commands that you make your sex slaves.

Jesus: Not okay with violence under any circumstances, commands that if attacked you facilitate further attacks upon your person as a display of your dedication to pacifism.

• Locked thread