Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Pyroclastic posted:

On a related note, I'm going to keep my eye out for buying an unopened box of the Amiibo cards, and selling/trading duplicates (for 'face' value) if anyone's interested.

If you're getting english language cards, I will be ever so happy to buy dupes off of you. Me, my wife, and one of our roommates each have 3 individual packs on preorder, but that, obviously, is not nearly enough cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Moose has been cooped up in his house sick for four days now. Every day I bring him medicine but he isn't getting better.

I think Moose is dying :ohdear:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone ever has any deer leaving, especially Deirdre, I'd love to take them. Especially Deirdre. I got pinged about her leaving a few days ago, but she never pinged me herself. And sadly left on Saturday. She was one of my first move-ins to, within a week of me starting my town. I miss that cute little deer. :sigh:

So I put a totem pole up on her former plot as a memorial.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Manuel Calavera posted:

If anyone ever has any deer leaving, especially Deirdre, I'd love to take them. Especially Deirdre. I got pinged about her leaving a few days ago, but she never pinged me herself. And sadly left on Saturday. She was one of my first move-ins to, within a week of me starting my town. I miss that cute little deer. :sigh:

So I put a totem pole up on her former plot as a memorial.

Deirdre just moved into my village so I'll let you know should she decide to leave. Whatevs.

I see the Happy Home Designer review embargo has been lifted. It sounds decent enough to check out...if nothing else to help fill the gap before the next main series game.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Deirdre just moved into my village so I'll let you know should she decide to leave. Whatevs.

She's probably my favorite villager so far, I like the Uchi villagers. I know the Modern Wood series is a good fit for her house too if you feel inclined to decorate for her. :3:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With the review embargo lifted for Happy Home Designer, I find myself slight trepidation. I know I'm going to have fun with it...but almost every review has commented on the slow and over-tutorialized beginning, and it sounds like as long as you include an animal's 3 specifically listed bits of furniture, they will always be at least "Okay" with whatever you design for them. There's no real failure state

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

good. the closer Happy Home Designer is to a straight up sandbox the better

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdeqxeY_G0

It looks okay, I guess. Making play coins the main currency seems a bit dumb. Sorry Nintendo, I'm not taking my expensive electronics for a jog. There also seems to be a disheartening lack of custom designs. :shrug:

edit: There are actually custom designs in the game. Dan just didn't show them off.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 23, 2015

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least it gives the coins a use outside of fishing (if you spent the money on the Streetpass games like I did :v:.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I do kinda want to get Happy Home. It less Animal Crossing then normal, but at the same time I like playing the Sims just messing around with building houses most of the time.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Does anybody have a couple of spare Basement Walls they could sell or trade? I have access to a lot of stuff in the catalog if you need anything in return.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

And More posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rdeqxeY_G0

It looks okay, I guess. Making play coins the main currency seems a bit dumb. Sorry Nintendo, I'm not taking my expensive electronics for a jog. There also seems to be a disheartening lack of custom designs. :shrug:

edit: There are actually custom designs in the game. Dan just didn't show them off.

How many Coins are we talking, here? My 3DS constantly sits at 300 Coins because I take it with me everywhere and there's never anything to spend them on. Only time I had to spend them in an actual game was when I died like a dumbass in SMTIV and Charon said he'd take a bribe in Play Coins instead of the usual currency because I was broke as well as being stupid. :v: That set me back 14 Coins, two days of carrying the thing around with me everywhere.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Turns out it's 31 coins total. I was expecting something crazier. :downs: I genuinely just don't walk around with the thing, and usually I turn it off when I do because the battery life is so short.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 24, 2015

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I just found Animal Crossing New Leaf at a jumble sale. Not played Animal crossing since I had it on my gamecube, back in....2000? So, is it too late to join the goon comunity in this cute game?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BattyKiara posted:

I just found Animal Crossing New Leaf at a jumble sale. Not played Animal crossing since I had it on my gamecube, back in....2000? So, is it too late to join the goon comunity in this cute game?

no way! come on in friend! animal crossing is great fun indeed!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And More posted:

Turns out it's 31 coins total. I was expecting something crazier. :downs: I genuinely just don't walk around with the thing, and usually I turn it off when I do because the battery life is so short.

Short? Mine lasts all day in my pocket. How else do you get streetpasses?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Jumble sale" is the best phrase and I wish it was used worldwide.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Manuel Calavera posted:

Short? Mine lasts all day in my pocket. How else do you get streetpasses?

It just seems like a waste. :shrug: I don't get them. Tried it once or twice, and got nothing. I just live in the wrong neighbourhood, I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

And More posted:

It just seems like a waste. :shrug: I don't get them. Tried it once or twice, and got nothing. I just live in the wrong neighbourhood, I guess.

Yeah; outside of a dense urban place, or a convention or something, you're going to be stuck streetpassing the same handful of people that happen to live nearby/work in the same building as you. This is slightly alleviated by the streetpass hotspots that can 'buffer' a handful of passes and hand them out to the next few people that pass by, but how many McDonalds and Starbucks do you actually go into each day?

Streetpass is one of those nifty little things that only really works in the right environment, and most of the USA is not that environment.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

And More posted:

31 coins is basically nothing. I'm sitting at like 270 basically all the time because I tend to throw some at my Streetpass games whenever I get those (which isn't terribly often anymore now that I've moved back home from college. campus was like 5 or 6 a day, 20 or so if a new major release like pokemon or smash bros hit that week).

Can we unlock all that stuff at once with the coins or is there a wait between unlocks?

also: is there going to be a new thread for HHD's release? Like a general AC thread that covers both games? this one is kind of old and huge

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jivjov posted:

Streetpass is one of those nifty little things that only really works in the right environment, and most of the USA is not that environment.

Don't I know it. At least there's cons, yeah.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Can we unlock all that stuff at once with the coins or is there a wait between unlocks?

this one is kind of old and huge

It seems like you have to unlock some stuff by designing homes. I'm too lazy to read it all since I'm still not sure whether this game is for me, but here is the blog post I got my info from.

Agreed. A new thread would be good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Happy Home Designer is live for those who preloaded.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've clocked two and a half hours on HHD. It's very fun and whimsical, but the absolute lack of any kind of challenge kinda makes it boring. No matter what you do, villagers are happy with your design. You could make a mishmash of stuff that doesn't even look good together and they'd praise your amazing design prowess. That's my only complaint though, great game with a ton of content otherwise.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm enjoying HHD so far. I spent about 2 hours designing my first homes:

I'm glad that there isn't a "correct" way to design them, since it gives you the freedom to experiment and do whatever seems fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think anyone is asking for a single "correct answer" or whatever...just a bit more variance than "i am happy with literally anything you toss together"

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does HHD have a free design mode or can you only design to orders?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Is it normal to find less fossils the more your fossil wing of the museum is filled? Because lately I've only been finding 3 fossils a day from the usual 4.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Important question, in Happy Home Designer can Ia have Phil, Fuchsia, and Cyrano?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Is it normal to find less fossils the more your fossil wing of the museum is filled? Because lately I've only been finding 3 fossils a day from the usual 4.

There are always 4. One of them is hiding really well.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I can't decide if I want the bundle with the card reader or to go digital and fork over more money eventually for convenience. I wanna make houses without swapping out games constantly, but I also wanna make Sable a cozy little home. So difficult.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't really get why Happy Home Designer isn't a dlc add-on to New Leaf, or a cool new feature of a new full Animal Crossing game altogether.

Zuzie posted:

Check behind trees and buildings. You've got a fourth one somewhere.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really get why Happy Home Designer isn't a dlc add-on to New Leaf, or a cool new feature of a new full Animal Crossing game altogether.

It's not essential, but I do get how completely redesigning that part of the game was a lot of work, and I think the way they built the game around it is pretty clever. The challenges aren't hard or anything like that, but they're enough to keep you interested if you wanted to design a bunch of houses anyway, and the Mario Maker style online stuff where you get to see other people's houses and rank them is cool.

A new Animal Crossing game with the new home designer stuff will of course be way more awesome, but I get why this is a thing.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Welp, I've got my Happy Home Designer bundle on its way and am hoping to go out after work and find some Amiibo cards. (They weren't all snapped up immediately like regular Amiibos, right? I can still hope for that, right? :ohdear: )

Is it weird that I'm almost as excited about the card packs as I am the actual game? I used to collect trading card games (without actually playing the game) and I can't help it, I still love that crap.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

I don't think anyone is asking for a single "correct answer" or whatever...just a bit more variance than "i am happy with literally anything you toss together"
Eh, I like it this way. It's an aesthetic challenge. There's no good way to judge that, and any additional criteria for judging would just be awkward robotic constraints.

The challenge is self directed. Make the cutest house you can.

It always bothered me when the HHA came around to my Animal Crossing house and told me it was garbage 'cause I didn't theme things or whatever when I was really just going for self expression/what I thought was cute. I mean I ignored it and enjoyed myself, but it made me feel like I wasn't playing the game right. It's nice that this game doesn't even try to constrain things and is just about designing cute homes.

I assume from the general "what even is this?" response Happy Home Designer won't be getting its own thread?

Parasol Prophet posted:

Is it weird that I'm almost as excited about the card packs as I am the actual game? I used to collect trading card games (without actually playing the game) and I can't help it, I still love that crap.
Haha, not that weird. I have a friend just like that. It's nice 'cause I'll just be able to borrow her cards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If there's demand for an HHD thread, I'll start one up tonight or tomorrow.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I need to add some more people to my friends list who still play New Leaf. I recently started into it again, and I like playing it with other people.

I'm in the spreadsheet (that apparently is in the trash and will disappear soon), but here is my FC: 2320-6132-7821. If you add me, please let me know so I can add you back!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Parasol Prophet posted:

Welp, I've got my Happy Home Designer bundle on its way and am hoping to go out after work and find some Amiibo cards. (They weren't all snapped up immediately like regular Amiibos, right? I can still hope for that, right? :ohdear: )

The cards seem pretty common. I got some from GameStop when I picked up a preorder earlier and have a few I ordered online. They seem pretty nice and I got Jeremiah, the only one I honestly cared about.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

My AC amiibo cards arrived:

I'm happy with all of them, especially Axel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Genovera posted:

My AC amiibo cards arrived:

I'm happy with all of them, especially Axel!

Gasp! Phil, my sweet, sweet ostrich-husband!

• Locked thread