Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I know it's fun to paint Rodgers out as an inept moron but he played his part in us coming second too. He got the best out of Sturridge (who was fantastic along side Suarez or without him), Coutinho (who had been wildly inconsistent at Inter), and managed to integrate a whole lot of youth successfully (Sterling, Flanagan, Wisdom etc).

Regardless, I think he should be let go. There are better options out there and I think the current team needs a firmer, more experienced manager- one that can sort out the mess off the pitch too.

Rodgers won't be remembered as a great or even good Liverpool manager but the season before last was the most enjoyable and exciting Liverpool I've seen so I'll always like him for that.

Coutinho is only 23 and made *checks wikipedia* 28 appearances for Inter over his entire time there, of course a young player struggles for consistent performances if they're not playing consistently with a few injuries thrown in. It's hardly a managerial master stroke that an obviously talented player gets some maturity and consistency to their performances as they age, however that said, take away the occasional wonder strike and he's not been particularly fantastic for Liverpool of late either.

Sterling is no longer at the club and Rodgers/Liverpool hilariously mis managed that whole saga, where are Wisdom and Flanagan now?

About the only thing you've said there that can really be credited to Rodgers, is Sturridge playing well, but is that going to continue now that when both Sturridge and Benteke are fit, it's obvious Sturridge will go to his most hated of positions, wide right, the reason he left Chelsea? Otherwise Benteke becomes a very expensive bench warmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Wisdom is on loan at The Mighty Canaries Ninpo, Flanagan has gone back to his day job starring in the Bash Street Kids

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ninpo posted:

Coutinho is only 23 and made *checks wikipedia* 28 appearances for Inter over his entire time there, of course a young player struggles for consistent performances if they're not playing consistently with a few injuries thrown in. It's hardly a managerial master stroke that an obviously talented player gets some maturity and consistency to their performances as they age, however that said, take away the occasional wonder strike and he's not been particularly fantastic for Liverpool of late either.

Sterling is no longer at the club and Rodgers/Liverpool hilariously mis managed that whole saga, where are Wisdom and Flanagan now?

About the only thing you've said there that can really be credited to Rodgers, is Sturridge playing well, but is that going to continue now that when both Sturridge and Benteke are fit, it's obvious Sturridge will go to his most hated of positions, wide right, the reason he left Chelsea? Otherwise Benteke becomes a very expensive bench warmer.

Coutinho was injured a hell of a lot at Inter iirc, so not really going to give Rodgers much credit for keeping him fit. Playing him deeper turned out to be a bit of a masterstroke though.

The Sterling situation wasn't mismanaged. He wanted out and we got what we wanted for him. Maybe we could've kept him, but it would have been for massively inflated wages and I'm not keen on players holding the club to ransom.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Sturridge will be forced out wide. He played up front last weekend with Benteke and Ings, in a front three very similar to the one two years ago. Now Benteke is injured Sturridge is going to be our main striker.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I know it's fun to paint Rodgers out as an inept moron but he played his part in us coming second too. He got the best out of Sturridge (who was fantastic along side Suarez or without him), Coutinho (who had been wildly inconsistent at Inter), and managed to integrate a whole lot of youth successfully (Sterling, Flanagan, Wisdom etc).

Regardless, I think he should be let go. There are better options out there and I think the current team needs a firmer, more experienced manager- one that can sort out the mess off the pitch too.

Rodgers won't be remembered as a great or even good Liverpool manager but the season before last was the most enjoyable and exciting Liverpool I've seen so I'll always like him for that.

Who do you think Liverpool can get that's better than rodgers?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star Error posted:

Flanagan has gone back to his day job starring in the Bash Street Kids

:xd:

EvilHawk posted:

Coutinho was injured a hell of a lot at Inter iirc, so not really going to give Rodgers much credit for keeping him fit. Playing him deeper turned out to be a bit of a masterstroke though.

The Sterling situation wasn't mismanaged. He wanted out and we got what we wanted for him. Maybe we could've kept him, but it would have been for massively inflated wages and I'm not keen on players holding the club to ransom.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Sturridge will be forced out wide. He played up front last weekend with Benteke and Ings, in a front three very similar to the one two years ago. Now Benteke is injured Sturridge is going to be our main striker.

Sterling's situation was mismanaged though, the public nature of the transfer saga and how Rodgers made use of one of his two best players during that run of poor results in the back end of last season.

You can't refuse to pay your best players the wages that the clubs you want to be competing with for trophies/league positions will pay them, then sell them on, and then still expect to make the top four at the expense of one of those clubs. Nor can fans be glad Sterling didn't get what he wanted for him to be sold to a club that will finish higher than you this season, then bitch when you're not challenging for the title or even fourth spot.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 25, 2015

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

serious gaylord posted:

Alan Pardew

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pardew's getting the England job next year.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

serious gaylord posted:

Going for Ancelotti would raise a few eyebrows

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Very gratifying to see this flurry of Brendan revisionism whixh all came about because I fearlessly stood up for him #ibelieveinbrendan

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

serious gaylord posted:

I take it you think they can't get anyone who's good anymore?

I don't have full confidence that the ownership or the present board will have the competence to make a good decision, but without the massive debt burden that Hicks and Gillett were imposing on the club, FSG and Liverpool have enough money to hire someone competent although they might have to pay over the odds to do it.

Parity warning posted:

Lol what? I have to know more about this.

From 1999, when it opened, to 2007, Liverpool's Academy was run under Heighway, who was reportedly more focused on developing players by helping them go far in youth competitions regardless of how the senior sides were playing while managers like Houllier and Benitez wanted him to concentrate instead on developing technical skills and tactical understandings. Houllier and Benitez ultimately got so fed up with the lack of input, they stopped working with Heighway and had to develop their own unofficial youth/reserve systems.

Heighway eventually got fed up and quit in 2007, but the first replacement, Piet Hamberg, was basically the same. Benitez was then able to get him replaced by Rodolfo Borrell and Jose Segura from Barcelona, so there was more uniformity in direction. For better or for worse, those guys eventually were pushed out or left after Benitez departed and Rodgers now has his own guys there.

In case you feel like reading more, including some very tasty Scouser tears:

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2015/09/liverpools-blueprint-looking-at-the-clubs-academy-system/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8611991.stm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-continues.html
http://taintlessred.blogspot.com/2013/11/sacking-rodolfo-borrell-and-frank.html

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 25, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Ninpo posted:

Sterling's situation was mismanaged though,
It was, by Sterling's agent.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Xabi posted:

It was, by Sterling's agent.

I don't think Rodgers making jokes about Sterling like "he ran like Ricky Villa, but finished like Ricky Gervais" helped.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blue Star Error posted:

Heh

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Rojo and McNair out injured so we'll get to see some funny Phil Jones faces this weekend.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

peanut- posted:

Pardew's getting the England job next year.

he's too much of a liability for the FA

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Rodgers said in the pre-Villa conference that Firmino cracked a bone in his back against Carlisle.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

Lol

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Ninpo posted:

Rojo and McNair out injured so we'll get to see some funny Phil Jones faces this weekend.

You think he'll play Smalling+Jones at CB and Blind at LB? Possibly. But LVG seems to love Blind's CB play a lot and Jones has only played 30 minutes after coming back from illness, so we might still see Smalling+Blind with Young at LB lol. Or even Darmian at LB with Valencia at RB. :raise:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Rodgers said in the pre-Villa conference that Firmino cracked a bone in his back against Carlisle.

lol perfect

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brony Car posted:

I don't think Rodgers making jokes about Sterling like "he ran like Ricky Villa, but finished like Ricky Gervais" helped.

That joke is probably the best thing he ever did at Liverpool, which doesn't say much, but still. That was funny as hell.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

sportsgenius86 posted:

That joke is probably the best thing he ever did at Liverpool, which doesn't say much, but still. That was funny as hell.

This anecdote recounted by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian is my favorite. Ninpo helpfully quoted in the Weekend Web thread.

quote:

It’s surely those manuals that led Rodgers to such excruciating gimmicks as his three envelopes in a drawer, or to the time when he met for the first time a journalist noted for his left-wing beliefs and greeted him, not with his name, as Dale Carnegie would have advised, but with the word “Comrade”.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Term of endearment.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Brony Car posted:

This anecdote recounted by Jonathan Wilson in the Guardian is my favorite. Ninpo helpfully quoted in the Weekend Web thread.

Jesus christ :cawg:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4567112.ece

I promise I'll stop being Liverpool FC RSS for a while, but according to Tony Barrett, Rodgers blocked Liverpool from signing Sturridge in the summer Rodgers joined Liverpool, meaning that he prioritized signing Borini over Sturridge.

To be fair, Barrett has been pretty anti-FSG and anti-Rodgers, probably due in part to losing the insider access he had during the Hicks and Gillett days to James Pearce of the Echo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Term of endearment.

upper comrades in the community think it's crummy, but I don't

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Term of endearment.

Out pops a smiling Frank Lampard who says "Our Rodgers is a friend to all ideologies"

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Mourinho is approaching maximum butthurt over Wenger.

"He can speak about the referees before the game, can speak about the referees after the game, can push people in the technical area, can cry in the morning, can cry in the afternoon, nothing happens. Can be not achieved, keep the job, still the king. It's a privilege.''

Shoren fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 25, 2015

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

Shoren posted:

"He can speak about the referees before the game, can speak about the referees after the game, can push people in the technical area, can cry in the morning, can cry in the afternoon, nothing happens. Can be not achieved, keep the job, still the king. It's a privilege.''

this isn't the wrongest thing i've ever read

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Shoren posted:

Lol, what a loving baby

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Shoren posted:

This is great and an accurate description.

Also Gabriel got a one game ban and a fine. :lol:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
It's Mourinho's history of being a oval office and picking dumb fights that ruins what should be a fun spat with Arsene.

If Jose had just stuck to talking poo poo about Wenger then everyone would love him and we all would be enjoying that quote.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Sturridge played up front with Suarez so I don't know why you'd think he'd be played wide instead of alongside Benteke.

I think Sterling was managed fine. He was bought cheap, played well for the youth team, made the first team, played well, wanted to leave (for far more money than we could pay him) and we sold him for an outrageous amount of cash. What were we supposed to do?

We bought Coutinho for eight million pounds. Given he's clearly our best player (by some distance sadly) it's probably safe to say that Inter didn't value him particularly highly. We took a gamble and got him playing well.

It seems like you want to castigate Rodgers for buying terrible players but give him no credit for buying good ones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sturridge and benteke will be too injured to play together most of the time anyway

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just a fun tidbit, Benitez, who apparently did so well bringing in younger players and integrating them in to the side, was also the man who sold Coutinho to Liverpool because he couldn't figure out what to do with him at Inter.

I guess he just really likes Liverpool.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Just a fun tidbit, Benitez, who apparently did so well bringing in younger players and integrating them in to the side, was also the man who sold Coutinho to Liverpool because he couldn't figure out what to do with him at Inter.

I guess he just really likes Liverpool.

You should know better. Benitez was bounced out of Inter in 2010 and he gave Coutinho his first starts/runs in the first team. Inter didn't sell Coutinho until 2012 and from what I remember, that was after Coutinho had injury issues and a good, but not superlative spell at Espanyol. I think the decision to sell was made during Stramacciani's time there. Benitez was on gardening leave or had started being a fat clown at Chelsea by then.

Benitez wasn't that great at integrating youth into the Liverpool (or any other) side. All I was trying to point out was that the guy did a lot of much-needed work with Liverpool's basic setup, which may have gone to the wayside now.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brony Car posted:

You should know better. Benitez was bounced out of Inter in 2010 and he gave Coutinho his first starts/runs in the first team. Inter didn't sell Coutinho until 2012 and from what I remember, that was after Coutinho had injury issues and a good, but not superlative spell at Espanyol. I think the decision to sell was made during Stramacciani's time there. Benitez was on gardening leave or had started being a fat clown at Chelsea by then.

Benitez wasn't that great at integrating youth into the Liverpool (or any other) side. All I was trying to point out was that the guy did a lot of much-needed work with Liverpool's basic setup, which may have gone to the wayside now.

Oh, my mistake, they were all idiot clowns at Inter during this time so I mixed them up.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Oh, my mistake, they were all idiot clowns at Inter during this time so I mixed them up.

Leonardo was good.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Ewar Woowar posted:

Sturridge played up front with Suarez so I don't know why you'd think he'd be played wide instead of alongside Benteke.

I think Sterling was managed fine. He was bought cheap, played well for the youth team, made the first team, played well, wanted to leave (for far more money than we could pay him) and we sold him for an outrageous amount of cash. What were we supposed to do?

We bought Coutinho for eight million pounds. Given he's clearly our best player (by some distance sadly) it's probably safe to say that Inter didn't value him particularly highly. We took a gamble and got him playing well.

It seems like you want to castigate Rodgers for buying terrible players but give him no credit for buying good ones.

Sturridge played up front with Suarez in front of a diamond consisting of Sterling (gone), Henderson (injured), Allen and Gerrard (gone). The only way Rodgers seems willing to try two strikers now is with 3 at the back which has been awful.

I think you can call Coutinho a success for the price fair enough but he's nowhere as consistent at creating chances as Sterling was, and he's had a fair few terrible games that he's only salvaged by scoring a wonder goal in the last 10 minutes. He's now in that awkward situation where it doesn't really work to start him every game and build the team around him but you can't afford to drop him either.

Rodgers' biggest problem now is that for all of his talk about systems he doesn't seem to able to pick one and then buy players to fit it. So he ends up either playing people out of position or leaving them on the bench in favour of the likes of Lucas.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 25, 2015

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Brendan had a perfect response to all of you haters at today's press conference:

quote:

"What is clear, in the couple of years I’ve been here, is when we’ve had the availability of top class players, I think I’ve proven I can build a team that plays a way of football that excites and challenges at the top end of the table."

And

quote:

Sixteen months ago we nearly won the league and I was Manager of the Year. Sixteen months later, you’re not so good at your job, when you’re actually better at your job. I think I’ve made it pretty clear"

So that settles that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Scikar posted:

Sturridge played up front with Suarez in front of a diamond consisting of Sterling (gone), Henderson (injured), Allen and Gerrard (gone). The only way Rodgers seems willing to try two strikers now is with 3 at the back which has been awful.

I think you can call Coutinho a success for the price fair enough but he's nowhere as consistent at creating chances as Sterling was, and he's had a fair few terrible games that he's only salvaged by scoring a wonder goal in the last 10 minutes. He's now in that awkward situation where it doesn't really work to start him every game and build the team around him but you can't afford to drop him either.

Rodgers' biggest problem now is that for all of his talk about systems he doesn't seem to able to pick one and then buy players to fit it. So he ends up either playing people out of position or leaving them on the bench in favour of the likes of Lucas.

I think a lot of Coutinho's issues stem from him having poo poo in front of him. Last year we had no Sturridge and no Suarez and only a static Lambert and Mario up front and still was our best player all season. I'm guessing about ninety percent of Liverpool supporters would have rather we sold Sterling than Coutinho- people who actually watch us play every week (unfortunately) know who the better player is.

Agree with the last sentence completely though.

• Locked thread