Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We Are Robin #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Turns out Oh, Killstrike is really loving good. It's kinda like this thread in comic book form, trashing on the shittyness of '90s superhero comics and the excesses of 80s/90s DC mature/Vertigo alike.

I'm stoked. In the past few months I have found Jeff Lemire and now this. I thought, in my old age, I was impervious to liking new things.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Big Trouble in Little China #4

The ape in the shirt is Pete, a demon bound to Jack after he beat Lo Pan, who he got clothed at a truck stop.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sizone posted:

Turns out Oh, Killstrike is really loving good. It's kinda like this thread in comic book form, trashing on the shittyness of '90s superhero comics and the excesses of 80s/90s DC mature/Vertigo alike.

I'm stoked. In the past few months I have found Jeff Lemire and now this. I thought, in my old age, I was impervious to liking new things.

That comparison is so apt I'm shocked I've never heard it before.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

John Dyne posted:

The ape in the shirt is Pete, a demon bound to Jack after he beat Lo Pan, who he got clothed at a truck stop.

I really wish you hadn't told me that, because I think I liked it better without context.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Keeshhound posted:

I really wish you hadn't told me that, because I think I liked it better without context.

This is true. Much of this comic is better without context.

AS SUCH

Big Trouble in Little China #10

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

John Dyne posted:

Is that the one that was hiding in the back of his truck at the end of the movie?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The Mentalizer posted:

Is that the one that was hiding in the back of his truck at the end of the movie?

I think so. The first issue opens up with him realizing Pete's there.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

John Dyne posted:

Big Trouble in Little China #4

ok, I'm sold - is there anywhere I can get a trade? Amazon is a bit price-gougey.

I guess I could see if my local store could order it

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I'm sorry but this looks terrible and as you can see by my avatar I am the foremost expert on Big Trouble In Little China on this internet comedy forum.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 25, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theflyingorc posted:

ok, I'm sold - is there anywhere I can get a trade? Amazon is a bit price-gougey.

I guess I could see if my local store could order it

The trade has sold out of two printings, be patient, Boom will release a new printing soon enough.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You could always buy it digitally on Comixology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chaos Hippy posted:

That comparison is so apt I'm shocked I've never heard it before.

But hair metal is cool. :(

At least compared to other kinds of metal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hair metal is cool, but other metal is also cool.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

But hair metal is cool. :(

At least compared to other kinds of metal.

The worst excesses of hair metal are justified by the existence of "The Final Countdown".

But I'll fight you with knives if you're suggesting hair metal is cooler than power metal. (Plastic knives, so no one needs stitches after.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

The worst excesses of hair metal are justified by the existence of "The Final Countdown".

But I'll fight you with knives if you're suggesting hair metal is cooler than power metal. (Plastic knives, so no one needs stitches after.)

All I'm saying is I'd rather listen to Whitesnake than a 50 minute song with unintelligible screaming.

Also, a 50 minute song with unintelligible screaming is a much better analogy for 90s comics.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chaos Hippy posted:

I used to put on "The Final Countdown" and then read the issue of Thor where he fights the Midgard Serpent. :blush:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh, Killstrike

Fridge joke

Vertigo joke

Indie publisher joke

POUCH JOKE! (actually, there are a bunch of pouch jokes)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

---

Runaways #4

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Solemn fistbump transcends the multiverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh hey, is that the gorgon girl from the Incredible Herc?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'd be so happy if Marvel announced a new post-Secret Wars Runaways with this creative team. The characters I could go either way on, but the writer and artist are fantastic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Oh hey, is that the gorgon girl from the Incredible Herc?

Her Secret Wars incarnation, yeah. Issue also features like the 3rd dead Bucky on Battleworld, as far as the count I'm keeping in the books I've seen.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SynthOrange posted:

Her Secret Wars incarnation, yeah. Issue also features like the 3rd dead Bucky on Battleworld, as far as the count I'm keeping in the books I've seen.

Red Skull
Runways

Any more?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Red Skull
Runways

Any more?

Planet Hulk.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Red Skull
Runways

Any more?

I don't have high hopes for the Civil War version.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

All I'm saying is I'd rather listen to Whitesnake than a 50 minute song with unintelligible screaming.

Screw you buddie. Fixating on the vocals shows that you don't know poo poo about metal.

Black Metal Vol.#1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lencho posted:

Screw you buddie. Fixating on the vocals shows that you don't know poo poo about metal.

I'm fine with that. I also don't know poo poo about ebola and genital mutilation.

E:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I also don't know poo poo about ebola

Hard to believe that considering the level of diarrhea in your posts

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Travis343 posted:

Hard to believe that considering the level of diarrhea in your posts

Yeah, uh, maybe change that graphic to read "I hate good things and love bad things" instead of "I hate the bands that you like"

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
:colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I didn't know there were so many Taranchula fans in BSS.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

50 minute songs are pretentious as gently caress, screaming vocals or otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could've brought up the one that was over 90 minutes long but people would've thought I was using hyperbole.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, this comic is about a cowboy who goes to Mars to fight Nazis. It is surprisingly boring!

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Did he time travel and pick up a hipster sidekick?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, this comic is about a cowboy who goes to Mars to fight Nazis. It is surprisingly boring!
He's...

...from Earth.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

muscles like this? posted:

Dude, the sidekick doesn't just have cauliflower ears. Those are SPROUTS.

Seriously, dude. Doctor. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Unfortunately you don't learn if the "Madman from Mars" is Hitler or not because it is a two part story and that is the last issue. There is a story though where three stone men aliens show up and are all "We're going to conquer your planet!" The heroes try shooting them with guns and arrows but they don't work. Instead of gradual escalation they just drop a nuke on them. It seems kind of like overkill.