Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yes, unless you are Etrips you should go to the nearest Apple store and turn your phone in for a Samsung.

There are no screens hard enough for me, I will scratch them all as I carry a pocket full of diamonds at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

So with Crystal now allowing advertisers to pay to get on a whitelist and Peace pulled from the app store, what adblockers are you guys planning to use?

Also how hard is it to get a refund from the app store?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Not hard at all. Submit a support request and explain your reasons and in my experience they always do it.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

I ordered the dock and it's pretty nice. It doesn't have a mold for a specific phone or anything so it works with any Lightning phone.

My last dock from Monoprice was molded to specifically fit the iPhone 5, but the positive was that it didn't require a lightning cable. The Apple dock requires a lightning cable (not included). It's nice though and Lightning cables are affordable on the aforementioned Monoprice.
I don't like the new dock, and had to return it. Feels really unstable to me, the phone feels flimsy and rocks side to side.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

various cheeses posted:

So with Crystal now allowing advertisers to pay to get on a whitelist and Peace pulled from the app store, what adblockers are you guys planning to use?

If you're wondering about Peace I believe apple has announced they are automatically refunding everyone who bought it (or at least that's what was reported in my local newspaper today).

noirstronaut posted:

lol

I got to the Apple Store at like 8:30 or something. The dude there told me that they couldn't accept AT&T payments (I decided to go with Next and pay off one phone) so I had to go to the AT&T store. Cool, they have one in the mall. I get there, the dude is like "We have phones here, you can just get it here if you wanna" so I do exactly that after paying off the phone. Literally no line, store had 250 phones.

It was a new "AT&T Experience" store which was realllllllly nice. Took some obvious cues from Apple but replaced steel with wood.

Anyway, that's my store about how I left and returned to my house all within 30 minutes.

e: Also, it's the Mall in Columbia, MD in case anyone is wondering.

I too enjoy laughing at the sillies who wait in a line for hours. I spent 5 mins preordering my phone, and it arrived at my house at 10 am - there would likely have been people waiting at the nearest apple store when the doors opened at 8 am who were still waiting in line. All it took me was about 10 minutes of effort and the indignity of having to be awake at 10 in the morning, and even that is tolerable once I get a half dozen or so shots of coffee in me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
How are lines elsewhere? We had literally 8 people in line for open at my store. Curious if it's because the Pope is visiting here or if other areas are just as dead.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

various cheeses posted:

Crystal is not exactly "allowing advertisers to pay to get on a whitelist". The user will have the option to view these acceptable ads or not.

Here is the developers blogpost on the matter: http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/9/25/on-acceptable-ads

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Are these available in store to walk in and buy or has that ship sailed?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so I'm upgrading from a 5 to a 6s today; I've had iCloud Backup turned on for a while and am going to plug in and do a full encrypted backup as well. I should be covered as far as restoring if I want to, but is there a way to only restore my text messages? Honestly it's a good time to start fresh, there's a ton of apps that I don't really use but it'd be nice to keep my text timeline in there.

Also, now that I'll be getting a 64gb phone and have a 64gig Air 2, I'd like to start using photo streaming of some sort seeing as I'll actually have space. My workflow right now is Camera/iPhone > Lightroom > iPhoto; from there can I set certain pictures and albums to sync wirelessly across devices? I don't necessarily care about having the photos in my camera roll syncing across all devices, as I'll be dumping them into the computer ~ once a week or so anyway, but I suppose if there's a way to just move certain snapshot photos directly into iPhoto albums and edit from there (family parties, pics of the nephews, stuff that I don't need Lightroom for) that'd be good too.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I don't like the new dock, and had to return it. Feels really unstable to me, the phone feels flimsy and rocks side to side.

Do you have a 6+? My 5 feels fine on it, I imagine the 6S will feel fine too. It's a lot more solid than the plastic Monoprice dock.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

beergod posted:

Are these available in store to walk in and buy or has that ship sailed?

Depends where you go. Sounds like the carrier stores and 3rd party places that aren't Best Buy have plenty (unless you're looking for Rose Gold).

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

noirstronaut posted:

lol

I got to the Apple Store at like 8:30 or something. The dude there told me that they couldn't accept AT&T payments (I decided to go with Next and pay off one phone) so I had to go to the AT&T store. Cool, they have one in the mall. I get there, the dude is like "We have phones here, you can just get it here if you wanna" so I do exactly that after paying off the phone. Literally no line, store had 250 phones.

It was a new "AT&T Experience" store which was realllllllly nice. Took some obvious cues from Apple but replaced steel with wood.

Anyway, that's my store about how I left and returned to my house all within 30 minutes.

e: Also, it's the Mall in Columbia, MD in case anyone is wondering.

This makes me laugh about the 3 people I saw in line outside the Apple Store last night at 7:30 when I stopped in to get a case. Different city, but still

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

bobdigi posted:

Crystal is not exactly "allowing advertisers to pay to get on a whitelist". The user will have the option to view these acceptable ads or not.

Here is the developers blogpost on the matter: http://murphyapps.co/blog/2015/9/25/on-acceptable-ads

I guess I should've known better than to read an article on The Verge.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

various cheeses posted:

I guess I should've known better than to read an article on The Verge.

You mean the purveyors of such quality content.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

What about this masterpiece in technology news?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

maduin posted:

What about this masterpiece in technology news?

Wow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Refresher for retiring an iPhone. Am I missing any steps?

1) Disable find my iPhone
2) Log out of iMessages
3) Sign out of iTunes
4) Sign out of iCloud

That's all of them, right?

We seem to be getting to a point where there just needs to be a "nuke everything" button.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Any reason to not just use the free Safari Blocker content blocker? Looks p good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

Refresher for retiring an iPhone. Am I missing any steps?

1) Disable find my iPhone
2) Log out of iMessages
3) Sign out of iTunes
4) Sign out of iCloud

That's all of them, right?

We seem to be getting to a point where there just needs to be a "nuke everything" button.

It should prompt you when you log out of iCloud, but make sure you shut off Find My iPhone.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ok, so I'm upgrading from a 5 to a 6s today; I've had iCloud Backup turned on for a while and am going to plug in and do a full encrypted backup as well. I should be covered as far as restoring if I want to, but is there a way to only restore my text messages? Honestly it's a good time to start fresh, there's a ton of apps that I don't really use but it'd be nice to keep my text timeline in there.

Also, now that I'll be getting a 64gb phone and have a 64gig Air 2, I'd like to start using photo streaming of some sort seeing as I'll actually have space. My workflow right now is Camera/iPhone > Lightroom > iPhoto; from there can I set certain pictures and albums to sync wirelessly across devices? I don't necessarily care about having the photos in my camera roll syncing across all devices, as I'll be dumping them into the computer ~ once a week or so anyway, but I suppose if there's a way to just move certain snapshot photos directly into iPhoto albums and edit from there (family parties, pics of the nephews, stuff that I don't need Lightroom for) that'd be good too.

Here is a good writeup from iMore about what/wont be restored if you do a "new" setup vs restoring.

http://www.imore.com/doing-clean-install-your-iphone-6s-heres-what-youll-bring-over-and-what-youll-lose

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

Do you have a 6+? My 5 feels fine on it, I imagine the 6S will feel fine too. It's a lot more solid than the plastic Monoprice dock.
iPhone 6

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Edit: poo poo, Awful ate my post. I was complaining about the multitasking feature not working properly with the Apple leather case on]

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Did you just stick a 6 case on a 6S?

Nope, 6s case. Turns out there's kinda an element of "holding it wrong" involved for me though--basically my problem is the app I was using would start a slide from left action (for instance in Awful it would start to slide back to my bookmarks) but then if I keep going a bit it does snap out of multitasking. So not ideal, but it does work.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 25, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm ashamed I used a 6+ for a year, the 6/6s size is literally god's perfect phone size. I have found nirvana.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lelandjs posted:

So the "force touch and swipe to the right from the edge" multitasking shortcut doesn't work very well with an Apple leather case on. :sigh:

[Edit: and it doesn't work at all from the home screen, wtf apple]

Should have read Gruber's review.

https://daringfireball.net/2015/09/the_iphones_6s

quote:

The biggest thing keeping me from using this case for real, going forward, is that the raised edge along the side of the display gets in the way of performing edge-based gestures, primarily swiping to go back, and the new press-and-swipe to switch between apps with 3D Touch.

A bit of an oversight on Apple's part ...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

lelandjs posted:

So the "force touch and swipe to the right from the edge" multitasking shortcut doesn't work very well with an Apple leather case on. :sigh:

Did you just stick a 6 case on a 6S?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm ashamed I used a 6+ for a year, the 6/6s size is literally god's perfect phone size. I have found nirvana.

Man, I was all set to pick up a 6s+ and I've read a couple things like this now. I have a long bus commute every day and the bigger screen seemed like a sweet upgrade.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SteveMcQueen posted:

Man, I was all set to pick up a 6s+ and I've read a couple things like this now. I have a long bus commute every day and the bigger screen seemed like a sweet upgrade.

Eh, don't let individual opinions away you on size and how it works for you. Some people go up in size and some down in size and are happy both ways. I agonized over which one to get after having the 6, but I am trying the 6S+, particularly since most vendors allow 14 days to return any phone anyway and get a different one.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 25, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pivo posted:

Should have read Gruber's review.

https://daringfireball.net/2015/09/the_iphones_6s

A bit of an oversight on Apple's part ...

Definitely. Expecting people to use a phone without a case in 2015 is ludicrous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mulva posted:

Definitely. Expecting people to use a phone without a case in 2015 is ludicrous.

:lol: if you use anything to cover Jony Ive's beautiful work.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

It might seem really crazy but the best solution to unwanted apps is to delete them.
"Starting fresh" isn't really thing on iOS; I've not done this since the 3G release day and my 6 is identical in performance to any other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: if you use anything to cover Jony Ive's beautiful work.

But iPhones do look pretty great. Unfortunately they started making the bodies out of dentolium so the first time you bump anything you get a nasty silver scratch.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm having zero issues using the app switch feature with my 6's silicone case on my 6s. You just need to be deliberate with the press and it's working 100% of the time for me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

It might seem really crazy but the best solution to unwanted apps is to delete them.
"Starting fresh" isn't really thing on iOS; I've not done this since the 3G release day and my 6 is identical in performance to any other.

I might have to 'start fresh'. Over my past two phones, Siri simply doesn't work. My microphone works - calls work, recordings work, video audio works - but when I activate Siri, she hears silence. After a second or two it pops up a list of suggested things I could say. Siri simply does not work on my phone, despite all the hardware working.

I might have to 'start fresh' if this carries on to the new phone. But I've read lots of people on various Apple forums having issues that were solved just by starting from a clean slate.

My install's been from the 3G too ... I guess some config files over time got messed up and they get carried over.

tl;dr: Siri won't listen to me.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

Siri won't listen to me.

You need to listen to her too, dude. You gotta work at these things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With iOS9, when I double click the home button to navigate in between apps, I really don't like the new "deck of cards" look. Is there any way to modify that back to just small screenshots of open apps, like it was previously?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's 2015 and people are still using screen protectors? Jfc that's gross

I have a blue blocker screen to help sleep at night (it works)

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
I knew there had to be some catch. I just did the Apple iPhone upgrade program, and received an email from Citizens One Bank with the terms of my "loan" stating that the first payment will be $134.63 and THEN all subsequent payments will drop to my normal $40.75. Anyone else get something like this? The Apple store employee conveniently did not inform me of this essential down payment.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

MrDoDo posted:

I knew there had to be some catch. I just did the Apple iPhone upgrade program, and received an email from Citizens One Bank with the terms of my "loan" stating that the first payment will be $134.63 and THEN all subsequent payments will drop to my normal $40.75. Anyone else get something like this? The Apple store employee conveniently did not inform me of this essential down payment.

Is that not tax + first months payment?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

The Midniter posted:

With iOS9, when I double click the home button to navigate in between apps, I really don't like the new "deck of cards" look. Is there any way to modify that back to just small screenshots of open apps, like it was previously?

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Is that not tax + first months payment?

I suppose it could be tax for the entire price of the phone. I just assumed each payment would be taxed. I don't have a problem paying it, it just would have been nice to have that disclosed upfront I guess.