Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hoboskins posted:

I would like a ramming upgrade give my ship a Giant armoured prow that I can use to run into people. Is there some secret to aiming torpedoes or is it just a matter of practice?

The 2 main things to keep in mind when firing torpedoes is the angle at which your torpedoes will be hitting your target from, and your target's likely course of action in the time it takes for torpedoes to travel.

You generally don't want to make torpedo runs on ships that are angled sharply towards or away from you. Its very easy for the torpedoes to be dodged (by simply angling straight at them and threading through a gap), and if the target makes a course change, even a slight one, the torps will miss by a mile.

Also, when selecting a target, don't launch immediately, watch the grey line and observe its changes, and what the target is doing. Are they sailing straight forward at full speed? Are they turning a little at times? Are they not at full throttle? These are all important to take into account, as a target who has just fired and is now taking return fire is likely to start turning, while a ship that just finished a turn is likely not at full speed, and will shortly ramp up to full speed (and if you fired at the grey line, would sail right past your torps).

Grey line shooting is fine and all, but you need to recognize when the grey line is going to get you hits, and when it fails, and you need to manually adjust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

The 2 main things to keep in mind when firing torpedoes is the angle at which your torpedoes will be hitting your target from, and your target's likely course of action in the time it takes for torpedoes to travel.

You generally don't want to make torpedo runs on ships that are angled sharply towards or away from you. Its very easy for the torpedoes to be dodged (by simply angling straight at them and threading through a gap), and if the target makes a course change, even a slight one, the torps will miss by a mile.

Also, when selecting a target, don't launch immediately, watch the grey line and observe its changes, and what the target is doing. Are they sailing straight forward at full speed? Are they turning a little at times? Are they not at full throttle? These are all important to take into account, as a target who has just fired and is now taking return fire is likely to start turning, while a ship that just finished a turn is likely not at full speed, and will shortly ramp up to full speed (and if you fired at the grey line, would sail right past your torps).

Grey line shooting is fine and all, but you need to recognize when the grey line is going to get you hits, and when it fails, and you need to manually adjust.

I would highly recommend listening to this guy. Played a few times with him and holy poo poo does he know what he's doing.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Dear wargamming. Fix your poo poo. Carrier balance is hosed, you loving know it.

I don't recommend playing the Independence in Ranked battle. When you get matches against a Ryujo that is fighter fit and you are not, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Especially when there's 3 cleveland on the other side. Its just a waste of time.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'd love to know how fighter on fighter interaction works at a more technical level. :confused:

I'm driving my Indy, I have the Grumman F3Fs, Air Groups Mod 1 and 2, the Captain has Expert Rear Gunner, Torpedo Expertise, Dogfighting Expert, and is less than 17k off of Aircraft Servicing Expert. What has happened several times recently is that my fighters (1st set launched from match start) and another Indy's fighters tangle, and all of a sudden POOF my planes are blown away like I had parked them on top of a 3 Cleveland division, while the enemy loses 1 or 2 planes tops. This has happened over open water and on top of an island, with no enemy ships nearby and my planes at full health. I've been running the 1/1/1 config so getting my fighter reserve wasted early on is really a pain in the rear end.

Does direction or altitude play any sort of part in this ? I try to avoid attacking enemy fighters head on, due to the possibility of them getting strafed. Is the damage output of fighters directional or some sort of AA style circular aura ? I'd love to know.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It's a mix of RNG and damage over time iirc.
So literally the worst.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Been playing this about a week. Will play it another week. Mostly co-op. Then I'm done. Seems the best way to play it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

God drat it lost the game by 964-968 :argh: I swear RNGesus is loving with me this morning. Got only 3 citadels against 4 cruisers with 50 hits.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really wonder how WG managed to come up with yet an other mechanic that is neither fun to play nor fun to play against. Maybe removing CVs until they know what to do with them isn't the worst idea.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Tahirovic posted:

I really wonder how WG managed to come up with yet an other mechanic that is neither fun to play nor fun to play against. Maybe removing CVs until they know what to do with them isn't the worst idea.

Since the nerf to IJN CVs I don't really have a problem with them any more. At least now you always get equal numbers per match rather than just one side getting them which was terrible. After playing a lot of games over the last two weeks I'd say that there's only been maybe 3 or 4 where a CV has decided the outcome. My only complaint with them now is the fact that I can see CVs in low tier games where I have zero AA to shoot back.

Also was there a buff to exp for shooting planes down? I had a pretty average game the other day where I got maybe 30k ship damage in my Cleveland but shot down 28 planes and I came out as top exp with something like 1700 base.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Depends on what you shot with Cleveland. Apparently xp reward is based on % of damage done to your target (not raw damage), so if you were doing 30k damage to destroyers then you get more xp from that then doing 30k damage to cruisers or battleships.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Question for anyone who has played Izumo.

I am about 20k away from finishing the Amagi and have around 150k free XP saved up. Both hulls (mandatory) on Izumo cost around 100k XP. The range and speed (optional) cost around 23k each.

Once I unlock the Izumo, would I be better to:

Spend 146k to research all the upgrades (both Hulls, Range and Speed) then play through the 249k needed to get Yamato.
Spend 100k roughly to research only the hulls and play through 200k roughly with no speed or range upgrade.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

Dear wargamming. Fix your poo poo. Carrier balance is hosed, you loving know it.

I don't recommend playing the Independence in Ranked battle. When you get matches against a Ryujo that is fighter fit and you are not, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Especially when there's 3 cleveland on the other side. Its just a waste of time.

Or you can not play CVs, like god intended. I hope WG makes a queue just for CVs so all they fight is each other while the rest of us have fun playing without them.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I actually think a good idea for carrier balance would be to allow CV's to change their flight control systems on the fly (assuming they have been researched & bought pre-game). So if all of your planes are on deck/hanger, you can change from eg Bogue 1/1/0 to 2/0/1 and then launch. This would make a really interesting chess mechanic IMO, and also allow dual CV's to better co-ordinate their airgroups. Also if all your torp bombers get shot down but you have a glut of fighters remaining, you can re-adjust your role for the remainder of the battle.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
That would have no real change most of the time, but you would see the really good CV players completely crush matches even harder than they do now.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Some changes I would like to see with CV that shooting down planes gives more xp as that would encourage more fighter loadouts and AA screening and more punishing of losing a squad at higher tiers. At lower tiers you can quickly run out of planes but at higher tiers you are almost thankful for losing a squad in a run since they don't have to fly back first and you can just launch one of your million backup planes. Other than that honestly after the MM change it already got much better at least in my experience. No more lone carrier games and IJN strike layouts made it much more fun for everyone. I mean most of us here post games with multiple ships killed and 100k+ damage games and it makes the idea that carrier automatically win the game kind of hilarious.

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 25, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The arming distance for TB still needs a fix as well, I know it's hard to pull those drops and only skilled CV players manage them, but gently caress that bullshit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tahirovic posted:

The arming distance for TB still needs a fix as well, I know it's hard to pull those drops and only skilled CV players manage them, but gently caress that bullshit.

If by skilled you mean hold down alt and left click closer to the ship :p

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
It's approximately 0.5 km so if they drop too close then you can just turn into them for virtually no damage, but experienced CV players usually drop at about 0.8~1 km and there's nothing you can do against those.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Before I waste exp, leveling the Ranger, should I just keep the default plane arrangement 1-1-1?

I know DB's get stronger at this tier, but they aren't stronger than 6 torpedoes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Aesis posted:

It's approximately 0.5 km so if they drop too close then you can just turn into them for virtually no damage, but experienced CV players usually drop at about 0.8~1 km and there's nothing you can do against those.

It compares especially unfavorable with the gunnery, where you can lead your target perfectly and still just dump a salvo around a target because of RNG. CVs play an entirely skill-based game while other players play with the slot machine.

Also make carriers unable to launch unless they are running at full speed, if only to get the idiots on my team to not sit in spawn and whine that no one stayed behind to protect them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I just played my tier 6 USN Independence CV against its IJN equivalent, the Ryujo. He was able to have twelve fighters, four torpedo bombers and four dive bombers out at a time, and he just walked all over my 6/6/6 arrangement - as you might expect. This seems fair to a degree - he chose the heaviest fighter arrangement he could choose, so he should be able to defeat the standard loadout of the USN carrier.

The trouble is, I can't match his number of fighters without going to 12/0/6 - no torpedo bombers at all - so all I can do is suck it up and accept that I'm going to take a pasting every time I see a carrier with that guy's loadout, or be no use to my team at all beyond neutering the enemy carrier, and even that's a 50-50 thing since all I can do is equal his fighter loadout, not exceed it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Gort posted:

I just played my tier 6 USN Independence CV against its IJN equivalent, the Ryujo. He was able to have twelve fighters, four torpedo bombers and four dive bombers out at a time, and he just walked all over my 6/6/6 arrangement - as you might expect. This seems fair to a degree - he chose the heaviest fighter arrangement he could choose, so he should be able to defeat the standard loadout of the USN carrier.

The trouble is, I can't match his number of fighters without going to 12/0/6 - no torpedo bombers at all - so all I can do is suck it up and accept that I'm going to take a pasting every time I see a carrier with that guy's loadout, or be no use to my team at all beyond neutering the enemy carrier, and even that's a 50-50 thing since all I can do is equal his fighter loadout, not exceed it.

This is only unfair because torp bombers are broken as gently caress while dive bombers are not. The solution is to balance torp bombers, not to allow carriers to more equally spam torp bombers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The problem is a US torpedo squadron has twice the destructive capacity of a Japanese torpedo squadron due to the massive gaps between Japanese torpedoes, so if you swapped the bombers for torp bombers in that arrangement on the independence, the Independence would have superior fighters and superior single strike capability, the only advantage the Ryujo would have is split fire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is a US torpedo squadron has twice the destructive capacity of a Japanese torpedo squadron due to the massive gaps between Japanese torpedoes, so if you swapped the bombers for torp bombers in that arrangement on the independence, the Independence would have superior fighters and superior single strike capability, the only advantage the Ryujo would have is split fire.

Where are you getting superior fighters from? Both carriers would have twelve fighters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I thought they had more going for them than just 1 extra dps, nevermind

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Gort posted:

Where are you getting superior fighters from? Both carriers would have twelve fighters.

Look at the actual stats of the individual fighters, although in this case its basically nothing

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Russian Destroyer stats are out. I guess it's time to decide if I want to use my Murmansk's captain for the DD line or save him for battleships.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
It seems like the trend of the russian DDs is short range, rapid firing torpedoes. They mentioned 3 torpedo salvoes a minute on one ship, which is a 20 second reload time! I suspect they will play similarly to US DDs, except with a heavier focus on getting near point blank and spamming torpedoes all over a choke point or near hostile BBs. They'll be very scary boats to chase after, or find around a corner, I suspect. As for their artillery and survivability, we'll need real numbers before I can say anything on them. If they're between IJN and US DD levels, that'd be neat. WG keeps hyping them up as "brawlers", so hopefully they've got more HP than the US DDs to back that statement up.

That trailer was pretty :ussr:, though. INCOMING RUSSIAN BIAS

PS: The T1 Russian DD doesn't have torpedoes. Heh.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Check the icons, that's a cruiser.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Tahirovic posted:

Here's how to fight CV's as a BB. Pay attention to your minimap If you see planes anywhere within a 6km radius that you think are coming towards you, start turning towards them. If for some reason, you only see them when they are close and about to drop their load, turn towards them and drop your speed. Most will go harmlessy in front of you.

The trick against CV's is simply awareness. Mediocre CV players will not be able to do anything. Average Cv players(like me) will be able to hit you with afew torpedoes. Great CV players well.. you're hosed.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Gort posted:

Wargamming should add an option to change the loadout at the loading screen. You see what carrier you are facing, get to choose which loadout you prefer. I think this would really help.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Check the icons, that's a cruiser.

Ah, indeed it is. I'll probably free xp past it anyways. T1 games are full of sorrow and broken dreams.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dalael posted:

Wargamming should add an option to change the loadout at the loading screen. You see what carrier you are facing, get to choose which loadout you prefer. I think this would really help.

What they should do is let aircraft change their armament on the deck, letting dive bombers switch between HE and AP bombs, and let torpedo bombers switch between a lower speed, lower damage torpedo that can be manually dropped, and a high speed, higher damage torpedo that can only be autodropped, simulating the difference between early war and late war aerial torpedoes. If functionally possible, anyway.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

What they should do is let aircraft change their armament on the deck, letting dive bombers switch between HE and AP bombs, and let torpedo bombers switch between a lower speed, lower damage torpedo that can be manually dropped, and a high speed, higher damage torpedo that can only be autodropped, simulating the difference between early war and late war aerial torpedoes. If functionally possible, anyway.

It might make the game a bit too complicated for pubbies and average joes tho. More advanced players might like it. But I'm sure there would be a way to implement something like this.

It would suck if you load a certaint type of bomb for a specific target, fly to it and it dies just before you reach it, forcing you to come back and reload the right bomb for your new target.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dalael posted:

It would suck if you load a certaint type of bomb for a specific target, fly to it and it dies just before you reach it, forcing you to come back and reload the right bomb for your new target.

:clint: Welcome to Midway

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

Here's how to fight CV's as a BB. Pay attention to your minimap If you see planes anywhere within a 6km radius that you think are coming towards you, start turning towards them. If for some reason, you only see them when they are close and about to drop their load, turn towards them and drop your speed. Most will go harmlessy in front of you.

The trick against CV's is simply awareness. Mediocre CV players will not be able to do anything. Average Cv players(like me) will be able to hit you with afew torpedoes. Great CV players well.. you're hosed.

BlubBlahBlahBlub, I've heard this "just turn into them" and what not bullshit things enough, if you make a single mistake you're hosed against a mediocre player, against a great CV player you don't need to bother at all and that needs changing. An increase in arming distance is needed.

Also while playing I found something annoying, I killed two CVs and couldn't get to their loving BB escorts because their squadrons stayed in the loving air for the rest of the game spotting me, how about the loving planes run out of fuel and die the instant the CV dies?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

BlubBlahBlahBlub, I've heard this "just turn into them" and what not bullshit things enough, if you make a single mistake you're hosed against a mediocre player, against a great CV player you don't need to bother at all and that needs changing. An increase in arming distance is needed.

Also while playing I found something annoying, I killed two CVs and couldn't get to their loving BB escorts because their squadrons stayed in the loving air for the rest of the game spotting me, how about the loving planes run out of fuel and die the instant the CV dies?

Yeah, all it takes is more than one TB squadron and you're hosed sideways. Even turning into them, you're then committed to paying most of your attention to where the TBs are at and course correcting instead of actually killing enemies since most BBs lack the AA to discourage a CV from just waiting for you to make a mistake. They just fly outside your AA range and magically heal back up and come in for another pass.

CVs actively make the game less fun.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I like being the AA escort cruiser :shobon:

It does seem that whichever bb I attach myself to never has planes come after it, though. :(

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Devorum posted:

Yeah, all it takes is more than one TB squadron and you're hosed sideways. Even turning into them, you're then committed to paying most of your attention to where the TBs are at and course correcting instead of actually killing enemies since most BBs lack the AA to discourage a CV from just waiting for you to make a mistake. They just fly outside your AA range and magically heal back up and come in for another pass.

CVs actively make the game less fun.

I play all ships and I'm a rather mediocre player at that. BB's are probably my worst and yet I have no issues with carriers. You can actively try to avoid TB and still keep shooting. Its not wargamming's fault if most people just want to go in a straight line at max speed without having to do a single course correction. I rarely ever get hit by more than 1 torpedoes. And when I do get hit by a full broadside, it is always because I wasn't paying enough attention and saw the plane coming too late.

Currently my highest BB is only Tier 6, so it may be different at higher tier. Although in beta, I had a tier 8 and still didn't think carriers were that much of a problem.

In my opinion, at medium tiers, DD's are the ones to be feared when in a BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

jownzy posted:

Before I waste exp, leveling the Ranger, should I just keep the default plane arrangement 1-1-1?

I know DB's get stronger at this tier, but they aren't stronger than 6 torpedoes.

The problem you're going to run into is called the Hiryu
The Hiryu gets a 2/2/2 loadout because, well, Wargaming hates the Ranger.

Your single fighter then dies to his two and he proceeds to gently caress you up in the air for the rest of the game while still having more than enough torps and DB's to gently caress surface ships.
So... pick your poison

3DB's and 1 TB and spend your games running from fighters
2 Fighters and 2 DB's and have little effect upon the surface fight.