Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

You probably should have calmed down the instant the letters "verge" appeared in your url bar because it's a near certainty that any story under that umbrella has some glaring factual error in it.
I didn't read The Verge much but I always used to assume for some reason that they were pretty spot on and reliable. Now that I've read some of their articles re: iOS ad blockers, I guess I can strike them off my list of trusted websites whose opinions I can give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
They've been progressively getting worse since Topolsky left and Nilay took over.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
He doesn't go by @reckless for nothing. Did you even see his studded leather bracelet? The man's a real maverick.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The verge is literally poop smeared on a page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

The verge is literally poop smeared on a page.

:ohdear:

Will visiting their website give me a disease?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

:ohdear:

Will visiting their website give me a disease?

Yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's not a joke, the entire business model of Vox Media is to be very very good at tracking their users and selling the data. There were proposals to allow users to opt out of the tracking data, the whole "do not track" option, but the entire advertising industry decided not to honor that so frankly this is karma.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I pity the fools who don't purify. It's the fastest and the best out there.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Shifting away from poop and bad websites, the app store is featuring the Netflix app with "Subscribe now on your iPhone" featured. Is this some kind of change in Apple's policy or has Netflix just bit the bullet and will give Apple a cut of subs made via the app?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Shifting away from poop and bad websites, the app store is featuring the Netflix app with "Subscribe now on your iPhone" featured. Is this some kind of change in Apple's policy or has Netflix just bit the bullet and will give Apple a cut of subs made via the app?

Purely a guess, but I'd guess it was part of Netflix's demands in Apple TV negotiations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Can anyone with a 6s or 6s+ confirm that this "App Switcher via 3D Touch" trick works in the released version of iOS9?
http://www.iphonetricks.org/iphone-6s-app-switcher-3d-touch-trick/

I've gotten conflicting reports. I don't use an iPhone myself at the moment, though have a bunch at work for testing. The biggest barrier to me switching back is having to press the home button 2000+ times a day to switch apps, so this could be big things for me if it's nice and quick.

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm legit angry that the pink iPhone is now a lovely "rose gold" and not the fantastic clicky plastic pink of the 5c. I completely understand the reasons for not doing this, and that the 5c was really about pushing people to the 5s, but they totally ruled. It'll never happen but if Apple added a plastic case option to their flagship phone it would really make my day.

Ha, just buy one of the many cases that are almost identical to the 5c. I consider iPhones, especially the 6 to be unuseable without a case, as they're just so slippy. I'm not sure apple seriously expect people to use them without a case either to be honest.

If you listen to podcasts and like nerdy ones, go dig up the old "Naked robotic core" episode of Hypercritical, which discusses this concept.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

wooger posted:

Can anyone with a 6s or 6s+ confirm that this "App Switcher via 3D Touch" trick works in the released version of iOS9?
http://www.iphonetricks.org/iphone-6s-app-switcher-3d-touch-trick/

I've gotten conflicting reports. I don't use an iPhone myself at the moment, though have a bunch at work for testing. The biggest barrier to me switching back is having to press the home button 2000+ times a day to switch apps, so this could be big things for me if it's nice and quick.
Yeah, it works, and it's a nice feature. Just goes back to the previous app but still pretty handy.

How could you be getting conflicting reports?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm pretty curious to see how people find the sensitivity in 3D Touch, like are they accidentally triggering it when they don't want to and vice versa.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

So far the major learning curve is when you want to long press to delete or move an app around. But once you get past that it makes sense, the haptic feedback makes it pretty intuitive.

It's really quite useful for sorting through emails.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kenny Logins posted:

Yeah, it works, and it's a nice feature. Just goes back to the previous app but still pretty handy.

How could you be getting conflicting reports?

I think I confused it with other posts talking about the 'two finger drag' for text cursor movement. That was present in the betas on iPhone apparently, but was removed in the GM.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What good uses are you guys getting out of Launcher?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

chaosbreather posted:

I pity the fools who don't purify. It's the fastest and the best out there.

Purify is by Chris Aljoudi, the current maintainer of uBlock.

Despite Raymond Hill's feud with him (Hill is the maintainer of uBlock Origin and the dispute is mostly a philosophical thing, not a practical one) he still recommends uBlock for users of OS X Safari.

Assuming any measurable amount of the same quality of work made it into Purify it's a no-brainer.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What good uses are you guys getting out of Launcher?

I've been pretty happy with using it to launch my most common apps. Now that there are back links to apps I don't have to use my home button as much to go between my top apps

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Purify is by Chris Aljoudi, the current maintainer of uBlock.

Despite Raymond Hill's feud with him (Hill is the maintainer of uBlock Origin and the dispute is mostly a philosophical thing, not a practical one) he still recommends uBlock for users of OS X Safari.

Assuming any measurable amount of the same quality of work made it into Purify it's a no-brainer.

These apps are all basically identical other than the block lists used and the options they give you. The content blocker API does all the work.

I like Safari Blocker the best in that regard as its open about using easylist & (optionally) easyprivacy, has a bunch of other options, plus its open source with code on github.

It does need to add a Safari extension to "open with blocking off", ala Peace, but it works well. I also have crystal

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Purify blocks DuckDuckGo for some reason, but it's definitely got pedigree and the potential to be the best.

I actually also really like BlockBear -- done by the guys who do TunnelBear -- despite it not really getting any attention.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

wooger posted:

It does need to add a Safari extension to "open with blocking off", ala Peace, but it works well. I also have crystal
If you long-press the refresh button in Safari you can reload the page with content blockers disabled.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

If you long-press the refresh button in Safari you can reload the page with content blockers disabled.

Holy poo poo. And request the desktop site. Mind blown.

E: I'm just gonna spend the next 20 minutes long and force pressing every button I can find.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Purify is loving dumb. Blocks Facebook logins (and subsequently breaks any site that you can login using Facebook, like Fatsecret, Feedly, etc.) Blocks links from Slickdeals (probably because there's referral/tracking info in them), even blocks legit sites like Staples that I do business on regularly.

Also, 1Blocker has a "block trackers" setting that breaks Ebay and Paypal.

Like, I get that Facebook, Ebay, and Paypal are shitlord sites run by assholes. But they're also sites that LOTS of people use, and this kind of breakage should not have passed notice for the people curating the block lists.

Finally, the free Safari Blocker's lists work amazingly and haven't broken any site I regularly use yet. I did notice though that it doesn't seem to whitelist sites correctly yet. For example, if you download shutup.css and enable it, Reddit comments get broken, and whitelisting Reddit doesn't stop the comments from breaking. I'm sure the dev will fix it, however.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bobfather posted:

Purify is loving dumb. Blocks Facebook logins (and subsequently breaks any site that you can login using Facebook, like Fatsecret, Feedly, etc.) Blocks links from Slickdeals (probably because there's referral/tracking info in them), even blocks legit sites like Staples that I do business on regularly.

Like, I get that Facebook, Ebay, and Paypal are shitlord sites run by assholes. But they're also sites that LOTS of people use, and this kind of breakage should not have passed notice for the people curating the block lists.

Finally, the free Safari Blocker's lists work amazingly and haven't broken any site I regularly use yet. I did notice though that it doesn't seem to whitelist sites correctly yet. For example, if you download shutup.css and enable it, Reddit comments get broken, and whitelisting Reddit doesn't stop the comments from breaking. I'm sure the dev will fix it, however.

Most people use those company's associated apps. If it's a problem for you, just whitelist it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bobfather posted:

Reddit comments get broken

Feature.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm using Crystal and Vivio, one of the two is blocking Bing searches for me for some odd reason.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most people use those company's associated apps. If it's a problem for you, just whitelist it.

Whitelisting Facebook then allows all of the ads and trackers that you'd want to block in the first place. And the Facebook app collects insane amounts of data, right down to your location when you're browsing, swipes you make and duration of time you looked at each post. Seems like a pretty reasonable request to allow logins to Facebook, yet block some or most of the ads and tracking that happens to you.

tuyop posted:

Feature.

Normally I'd agree, but pissing all over a site that's 98% garbage and overlooking the 2% that's not is beside the point. Reddit has really good subreddits like r/jailbreak and r/churning that are pretty useful on a regular basis.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bobfather posted:

Whitelisting Facebook then allows all of the ads and trackers that you'd want to block in the first place. And the Facebook app collects insane amounts of data, right down to your location when you're browsing, swipes you make and duration of time you looked at each post. Seems like a pretty reasonable request to allow logins to Facebook, yet block some or most of the ads and tracking that happens to you.

Normally I'd agree, but pissing all over a site that's 98% garbage and overlooking the 2% that's not is beside the point. Reddit has really good subreddits like r/jailbreak and r/churning that are pretty useful on a regular basis.

Then stop using Facebook and use alternate logins for sites that use it . I don't know what else to tell you and your paranoia.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bobfather posted:

Woe to the ones who have blocked this person's Slickdeals.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bobfather posted:

Use one of them mobile apps? Isn't reddit one of those where everyone hates the desktop site even on desktop?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

Use one of them mobile apps? Isn't reddit one of those where everyone hates the desktop site even on desktop?

Reddit on desktop isn’t bad for the 4 subreddits I read regularly. I use an app to browse it on my iPhone, but on iPad it’s perfectly fine to browse the site.

I tweeted the dev of Safari Blocker to let them know the whitelisting isn’t working. We’ll see if it’s a bug or not.

Finally, to everyone who is recommending just use the app, there are good reasons not to use the app on some cases. For example, the Facebook website (mobile and full) let’s me send messages. The app requires me to download messenger.

I’d rather just use the website. But overzealous content blocked are messing that all up.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Just goes back to the previous app but still pretty handy.
You can use it to go back to any app. I just did.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Soooo...price and performance and all what's the recommended IOS 9 ad blocker then?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Soooo...price and performance and all what's the recommended IOS 9 ad blocker then?

I recommend 1Blocker. Other people are recommending other apps for bad reasons.

Edit: My reasons are: it's free unless you want detailed customization, it can be customized if you want to pay and it's the fastest of the popular blockers.

Other reasons see, to break down to: its made buy a guy who made something else I like and I like his politics, which is dumb.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 27, 2015

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

tuyop posted:

I recommend 1Blocker. Other people are recommending other apps for bad reasons.

Edit: My reasons are: it's free unless you want detailed customization, it can be customized if you want to pay and it's the fastest of the popular blockers.

Other reasons see, to break down to: its made buy a guy who made something else I like and I like his politics, which is dumb.

I'm using it now and it is indeed faster than purify and crystal. But IIRC you only get 5,000 or 7,000 blocks for free, and that's when you have to pay for it. Maybe that also brings you customization. Or maybe I'm misremembering, or it's changed since a couple of days ago.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dexter6 posted:

You can use it to go back to any app. I just did.
Uhh hey yeah you can! Nice.

Takes a steady hand but this 3D Touch thing has potential.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My only complaint (and it's a minor one) is that things that requires a long-press like holding an app to delete expect a light touch, and if you press hard enough to activate 3D Touch, it won't do the light touch action. Which is obvious, but still annoying.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Kenny Logins posted:

He doesn't go by @reckless for nothing. Did you even see his studded leather bracelet? The man's a real maverick.

"I felt ridiculous wearing the Milanese Loop, so I didn't." - Nilay Patel

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PFlats posted:

"I felt ridiculous wearing the Milanese Loop, so I didn't." - Nilay Patel
Update:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Please tag NSFW pictures :barf: