Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
My first apartment out of college was like this. I didn't have any issues, but I was extremely low-key. Landlord laws tend to be different in these situations because they are living on the premises, so they aren't subject to as many equal housing laws. My landlady at my place denied a woman with two kids because it was on a busy street and she thought the apartment was too small, whereas I don't think you can do that at larger properties.

Edited: make sure you read the lease because what I meant by landlord laws are different is that they might be able to evict you a lot easier than in a traditional property management situation.

Marius Pontmercy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I once almost moved in to that situation, but then it turned out it was illegal to sublet in their neighborhood so they wanted me to sign a co-sign lease for the entire house (they were renting it, as well) with them, a person I had met a single time.

So be careful, but it could be a great experience too.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I think it depends on the landlord. I lived on the first floor of a building owned by a couple of UU hippies and they were awesome. Super sweet and brought us treats sometimes if they had leftovers. Once we had a loud party that ran late and they told us later that they didn't say anything because "You never have people over that late and we wanted you to have fun."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Best recommendation to take care of ants? I've been noticing a stray one here and there in my kitchen. Nothing crazy, but I want to take care of it ASAP.

I've already obsessively cleaned every surface and make sure to continue to do so.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
You can buy little ant bait things that look about half the thickness of a can of chewing tobacco, I personally would recommend those.

What kind of ants are they? Fire, carpenter, black? Depending on the type of ant, I think other baits might be an option.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Black ants I believe. (Little black fellers)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

RCarr posted:

Best recommendation to take care of ants? I've been noticing a stray one here and there in my kitchen. Nothing crazy, but I want to take care of it ASAP.

I've already obsessively cleaned every surface and make sure to continue to do so.

Terro baits do the trick if you're patient. You leave them where the ants are, the ants swarm the baits, bring the poison back to the nests, and die a day or two later. Other ants follow their lead, as ants do. I've found it takes up to two weeks to get rid of the whole colony.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I used a combination of those little ant traps in various places in my kitchen, and then spraying the outside of my house with an ant repellent barrier, and that took care of the problem.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The Terro stuff is really the only thing that really works. I avoid putting anything outside the house, I find it just upsets the balance of nature and draws more ants.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What should I pay attention to when buying used bed off another person? I have some general ideas I'd ask the seller - when bought, original price, why selling, how long used, how long in storage, storage conditions, notable defects - but I've never done this before.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

What should I pay attention to when buying used bed off another person? I have some general ideas I'd ask the seller - when bought, original price, why selling, how long used, how long in storage, storage conditions, notable defects - but I've never done this before.
If you're somewhere that has any presence of bedbugs whatsoever, you shouldn't buy any used furniture at all, unless it's from a trusted friend, and I wouldn't even buy a used bed from a trusted friend.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I'm confused. A closet in my apartment had a hole that a mouse came through. I put a brick over it and sent in a request to the building's company that it be sealed, then yesterday I got a notice saying to empty my pantry and vanity for an exterminator. I did that, came back today, and they don't appear to have done anything. The hole is still there. I guess a couple of my shelves were left open? What exactly did they do?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

If you're somewhere that has any presence of bedbugs whatsoever, you shouldn't buy any used furniture at all, unless it's from a trusted friend, and I wouldn't even buy a used bed from a trusted friend.
Hmmph, good point. I've never encountered them back home, but this place - not sure. I'll see what the owner says about storage conditions and consult with locals about it. Thanks!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

kalstrams posted:

Hmmph, good point. I've never encountered them back home, but this place - not sure. I'll see what the owner says about storage conditions and consult with locals about it. Thanks!
When I say "somewhere," I'm referring to, like, your county. If you're living in a significant U.S. or Canadian city, you probably want to take a pass on used furniture altogether.

The eggs can survive for up to a year. If you decide to go through with it anyhow, I strongly suggest a metal frame, and getting a mattress cover that's bed-bug proof (I have one of these), and putting it on before you bring it into your house.

It sounds paranoid, but bedbugs suck, and getting rid of them will probably cost you about as much as getting a new bed.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Speaking as someone who has had bedbugs.

Do everything you can to not get them. I'd not wish them on Hitler or Donald Trump.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Do everything you can to not get them. I'd not wish them on Hitler or Donald Trump.
You can tell people who have had them because when they start talking about bringing things into their home, they sound like George C. Scott talking about precious bodily fluids.

"Yeah, so I steam-clean all of my deliveries, and my bed and box spring are sealed in liquid-proof covers."

When we got them, my vote was to burn the house down. I'm not convinced that would have been inappropriate.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
My brother just got his lease for a new place and asked me to look it over, and it looks sketchy as hell. I'm not an expert on these things, but if anyone would be able to look it over for common gotchas, and would be willing to check it out via pm/email, I'd much appreciate it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Toshimo posted:

My brother just got his lease for a new place and asked me to look it over, and it looks sketchy as hell. I'm not an expert on these things, but if anyone would be able to look it over for common gotchas, and would be willing to check it out via pm/email, I'd much appreciate it.

I'm not a legal expert but I've always been great at revising leases, especially when it comes to clauses designed to gently caress over the renter. I've never rented an apartment with a lease that didn't have a bunch of amendments written by me.

I'd be happy to glance at it tonight or tomorrow. Send to brettfrangella AT gmail.com

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

You can tell people who have had them because when they start talking about bringing things into their home, they sound like George C. Scott talking about precious bodily fluids.

"Yeah, so I steam-clean all of my deliveries, and my bed and box spring are sealed in liquid-proof covers."

When we got them, my vote was to burn the house down. I'm not convinced that would have been inappropriate.

No loving kidding. There's definitely a level of trauma present that you just don't understand until you've had them.

I had itchy PTSD for months/years afterwards. Dislike.

Was dreaming of finding a breed of spider that would eradicate them and letting the fuckers loose.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

When I say "somewhere," I'm referring to, like, your county. If you're living in a significant U.S. or Canadian city, you probably want to take a pass on used furniture altogether.

The eggs can survive for up to a year. If you decide to go through with it anyhow, I strongly suggest a metal frame, and getting a mattress cover that's bed-bug proof (I have one of these), and putting it on before you bring it into your house.

It sounds paranoid, but bedbugs suck, and getting rid of them will probably cost you about as much as getting a new bed.
Yeah, by 'home' I meant the country I come from, and by 'this place' a different country I live in now. Turns out, here in Sweden bed bugs are not unheard of, so I'm going through all the reserve options beforehand, and if none works then I'll look into a used metal frame and a mattress with cover.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

No loving kidding. There's definitely a level of trauma present that you just don't understand until you've had them.

I had itchy PTSD for months/years afterwards. Dislike.

Was dreaming of finding a breed of spider that would eradicate them and letting the fuckers loose.
I read wikipedia about them and it sounded really nasty. :( I'm surprised I lived in rural Latvia for two decades without having an idea about them.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I had bedbugs twice in six months. When we found them the second time (they were coming down the pipes from the third floor and through a hole in the wall that the la flies hadn't fixed because it was "small") I called them that night to terminate the lease. They let us out 8 months early with no complaints. I will sleep in an air mattress for the rest of my life before I'd have the possibility of getting a contaminated mattress.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
The thread title really should be changed to "Read your lease closely before signing & get everything in writing." Leases are long, in small font, and boring, but its a contract between you and your landlord for a significant amount of money usually for at least six months. Read every single word and get everything in writing.

kalstrams posted:

What should I pay attention to when buying used bed off another person?
My personal policy on mattresses is the same as used sofas: never, never, never, never, never, never. It is not worth the potential hassle to save a couple bucks unless a) you literally cannot save enough money to buy one over 2-3 paychecks, or all three of these things: b) it is a super good deal, c) it can be 'sterilized' before it even comes close to your car or house, and d) the total cost after everything still makes it a super good deal.

Toshimo posted:

Why not just redact the identifying information and post it here? There are a couple landlords who actively post in the thread. :)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ladyweapon posted:

Why not just redact the identifying information and post it here? There are a couple landlords who actively post in the thread. :)

I don't have a good method for redacting a PDF where I'm at. :shobon:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm moving from LA to Sacramento very soon and I could use a quick sanity check to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious. This isn't my first apartment move-out but it is the first time I'm moving out alone, and first time as the sole name on the lease; before now I always just co-habitated.

Here's my checklist, am I forgetting anything?

• Electric - turnoff date scheduled
  • Internet - turnoff date scheduled, drop off modem on my way out of town
  • Gas - turnoff date scheduled
  • DMV/government - need to file change of address forms
  • Update magazine subscription
  • Landlord walkthrough - scheduled for morning of last day
  • Final cleaning - ongoing but nearly complete
  • Packing - mostly done, I don't have a lot of things in genereal

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
If you're moving into your permanent place as soon as you get into Sacramento, make sure you have all your utilities already set up and scheduled to start. They usually schedule a few days out and don't service on weekends. Also if you're moving to a place that has extensive street parking, you can call and get no parking signs for your moving van/car for your moving day.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Where do I find large rugs (like 9 x 12) that aren't either really expensive or really ugly/boring?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have had good luck at Home Depot / Lowe's. Ikea has some but they are very Ikea-looking. I don't understand how it works, but rugs are either very expensive or very ugly.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm gonna recommend you at least see what your local Big Lots has. Sometimes you can find awesome stuff there.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Can pretty much answer craigslist for any cheap anything, but I just snagged a 8x10 pottery barn looking rug off craigslist for $50 because the lady was moving into a new apartment that was already carpeted. It's super generic floral off white/ light brown type colors, but I just needed something to go cover the floor in my bedroom. Couldn't handle my dog waking me up everytime he moved with his nails click clacking on the floor. Bonus, the rug was even rubber backed so it doesn't slide around all over the place.

Besides that, I actually got a pretty cool tribal wool type rug from amazon. i think it was 5'x8' for ~$100. Also, I believe the seller was 1-800-get-a-rug or something.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Does anyone have experience using Comcast's Movers Edge? I currently only have TV through them, but will be moving from Atlanta to Portland, OR soon. I'll need to add Internet to my package in Portland. Does Movers Edge still let me do self-install? I'm hoping to use my own modem and setting things up on my own time rather than waiting around for a comcast tech.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Xandu posted:

Where do I find large rugs (like 9 x 12) that aren't either really expensive or really ugly/boring?

I've been considering something from Overstock.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My issue is that I have a tiny car so I can't really transport anything I buy, but Overstock does free shipping which helps out. Anybody happen to have gone through them before?

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Fluue posted:

Does anyone have experience using Comcast's Movers Edge? I currently only have TV through them, but will be moving from Atlanta to Portland, OR soon. I'll need to add Internet to my package in Portland. Does Movers Edge still let me do self-install? I'm hoping to use my own modem and setting things up on my own time rather than waiting around for a comcast tech.

My boyfriend started the process so I'm not sure what he used, but we hit some snags moving our service from Tallahassee to Portland. The rep told us we could transfer our account and everything would carry over, but that wasn't the case. After several hours on the phone with another rep after we got to Portland, I learned that you can't transfer accounts between divisions. They call it a transfer, but they essentially kill your old account and set up a new one, so you get a different account number and any other authorized users and special settings have to be redone on the new account. Also, each division doesn't have access to the other divisions' accounts, so if there's any issues, you have to talk to each division individually.

Oh and we were able to set up the stuff ourselves, but we've always been able to do that easily since all we do is internet and we own the modem.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

extravadanza posted:

Can pretty much answer craigslist for any cheap anything, but I just snagged a 8x10 pottery barn looking rug off craigslist for $50 because the lady was moving into a new apartment that was already carpeted.

Personally, I have a policy to never get anything cloth/upholstered from craigslist.

Who knows WHAT was going on with it before you got it. Bedbugs, sex stains, smoking, etc...

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

My boyfriend started the process so I'm not sure what he used, but we hit some snags moving our service from Tallahassee to Portland. The rep told us we could transfer our account and everything would carry over, but that wasn't the case. After several hours on the phone with another rep after we got to Portland, I learned that you can't transfer accounts between divisions. They call it a transfer, but they essentially kill your old account and set up a new one, so you get a different account number and any other authorized users and special settings have to be redone on the new account. Also, each division doesn't have access to the other divisions' accounts, so if there's any issues, you have to talk to each division individually.

Oh and we were able to set up the stuff ourselves, but we've always been able to do that easily since all we do is internet and we own the modem.

Makes sense. Looks like I have a call with Comcast to cancel my TV service before I move, then. At least I think it'll make me eligible for "new customer" promos...

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I moved from Oakland to Alameda and they had to close my old account and give me a new account number. I thought it was weird but I got new customer pricing at the new location and didn't have any alerts or anything setup.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I think the bigger question here is, why would you willingly stay with Comcast? I move a lot and have experienced a plethora of different cable companies and Comcast is far and away the worst possible cable provider.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Teeter posted:

I've been considering something from Overstock.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My issue is that I have a tiny car so I can't really transport anything I buy, but Overstock does free shipping which helps out. Anybody happen to have gone through them before?

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I ended up going with Rugsusa.com. The list prices are absurd, but everything is like 70% off.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I think the bigger question here is, why would you willingly stay with Comcast? I move a lot and have experienced a plethora of different cable companies and Comcast is far and away the worst possible cable provider.

Conversely, they're the ones I had the fewest problems with

KoB
May 1, 2009

Teeter posted:

I cant help you with rugs but any furniture Ive ordered from Overstock has either been broken or were missing pieces.

Luckily they dont ask for the broken one back so when they ship out a replacement thats also broken/missing you can usually find the parts for one whole unit in the end.

Maybe rugs are okay but I wont order from Overstock anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Comcast is the only high speed option in Portland. Runner up is Centurylink if you care more about price than speed; I get a neck-breaking 7mbps for $30/mo. You can get it for $20/mo (I bought at the perfectly wrong time) and speed depends on neighborhood. Comcast wanted something like $62 for 25mbps.