Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

bartolimu posted:

Your lunch sounds better than my lunch. (Homemade Thai eggplant and tofu curry with brown rice.)

what kind of paste and was the paste homemade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
sincere q i love cooking veg-friendly curries

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm havin whitebeans and rice with some grilled kielbasa.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
There are whole other subforums solely dedicated to poo poo posting I don't see why we have to tolerate it here.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

pile of brown posted:

There are whole other subforums solely dedicated to poo poo posting I don't see why we have to tolerate it here.

you dont but its cool if you're not elitist assholes when strangers come bearing the gift of jokes

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
aggression fuels the shitpost engine choo choo

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

pile of brown posted:

Which subforums are dedicated to shitposting?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Desetr Eagle posted:

Which subforums are dedicated to shitposting?

any where tablespoon measurements are used with reckless gay abandon

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Moridin920 posted:

the mods should maybe institute a rule where if you say 'X can't cook' you have to then cook something and post a picture of it for judgement within 24 hours or get probated for a few days.

thats a really good idea. Anyone who's being an elitist rear end in a top hat has to PROVE that they are elite like a toxx

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
also you should always have to refer to the OP as "chef"

"hth Chef"
"Yes Chef"
"gas thread ban Chef"

etc

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

les fleurs du mall posted:

what kind of paste and was the paste homemade?

No paste, I have the spices so I make the curry myself on the fly. In descending order of amount, though I don't measure anything nowadays: coriander, turmeric, mustard seed, nigella, fenugreek, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, clove. Mustard seed goes in the pan with some oil until it starts popping. Then add nigella, wait a minute, drop in minced garlic and onion. Grind other spices into powder, add to pan. Cook until highly aromatic and the onion goes translucent. Add eggplant and tofu. Water or broth to cover, maybe a dash of white wine, lid partially, simmer 20 minutes or until oil starts to break. Finish with a bit of yogurt if you like after taking it off the heat.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
That gentleman(woman?) that was being elitist is probably a very skilled chef too and could impart a lot of knowledge but I have to admit his 'style' of posting makes it difficult to want to read what he writes.

This is a truly sad thing imo. A person I feel can help a lot of people but can't really get out of his own way. I hope you take this criticism in the form it is intended and end up living up to the potential I think you have.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

also you should always have to refer to the OP as "chef"

"hth Chef"
"Yes Chef"
"gas thread ban Chef"

etc

I get that you're trying to be funny, but Chef isn't a title you just throw around. People dedicate years of their lives to be called "chef". I haven't earned that title, and I'd rather people didn't throw it around like it means nothing. People that have earned that title deserve your respect, not some lovely condescending joke.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
Also is curry a spice or a food

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sincere q i love cooking veg-friendly curries

Go find a Sri Lankan restaurant and get the vegetarian thali. You get like 6-10 curries, chutneys, flatbreads, and rice. The sweet string bean dish is amazing.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I get that you're trying to be funny, but Chef isn't a title you just throw around. People dedicate years of their lives to be called "chef". I haven't earned that title, and I'd rather people didn't throw it around like it means nothing. People that have earned that title deserve your respect, not some lovely condescending joke.

Dude... this is kind of what me and that other poster are taking about :/

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

That Works posted:

GWS gets a bad rap for being insular and elitist sometimes and I disagreed with that because I've been a novice at food yet posted here for a long time and gotten a lot out of it.

But you... you're being an elitist jerk.
Ive browsed GWS on and off before specifically for baking tips and found it very helpful but never felt comfortable asking questions specifically because of people like Chef De Cuisinart, posters who are vitriolic and scornful and antagonistic and basically act like the kitchen chef celebrities on those weird cooking shows.

I get the impression from the massable chips on their shoulders that posters like that are the ones who yearn to be professionals in culinary arts but never quite had the skills or acumen or drive to pursue it, and try to compensate for this in volume of discussion and derision of tone, and while it's unfortunate for them it's still good reason to take it out on strangers and bizzarely incongruent with what people would expect from the spirit of a cooking subforum on a humor website.

But thanks anyway GWS for the good tips and threads you guys have some great ideas and now i make great pancakes :j:

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Why the gently caress is it part of your username if you haven't even earned the title?

bartolimu posted:

though I don't measure anything nowadays

This is extremely hosed up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alright I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't feel comfortable calling myself a chef since I never actually made it that far.

But dude it's the internet. Why are you so mad? I know a lot of chefs can get pissed easy but relax the only one really being hurt here is your blood pressure and poo poo. If you really are a head chef somewhere then great but calm down for your own sake.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

whoflungpoop posted:

posters like that are the ones who yearn to be professionals in culinary arts but never quite had the skills or acumen or drive to pursue it,

You could have probably expressed this more politely but pretty much nailed it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Libelous Slander posted:

Why the gently caress is it part of your username if you haven't even earned the title?

I'm not an exec chef, I'm a sous. Also, portmanteau of Chef De Cuisine and Cuisinart, it's funny. It's a joke. Haha.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not an exec chef, I'm a sous. Also, portmanteau of Chef De Cuisine and Cuisinart, it's funny. It's a joke. Haha.

Hmmmmm calling yourself 'chef' if you're a sous is questionable lol.... I got offered a sous position (ended up taking an office job instead) but I wouldn't call myself chef.

If you're going to get super heated about the subject on top of that then just wow man.

e: I guess it depends though I've worked in larger places where the sous basically ran all the services and I called her 'chef.' Still though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Libelous Slander posted:

This is extremely hosed up.
Eh, home cooking isn't industrial. If I wanted the exact same result every time, I'd measure. I do measure for baking and candy making because poo poo can really gently caress up otherwise. I measure for new recipes so I can get an idea of how the proportions are supposed to work. Then I play with it and see where it takes me. It's more fun; doing everything by the tablespoon gets really boring, or really dramatic depending on your audience.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of chefs/cooks don't measure especially on recipes they have made many times.

I wasn't exactly measuring the BBQ sauce every time I made it. If you can't taste it and tell that it's right after making it a few times then lol. Obviously that doesn't apply if you're doing 300 covers but gently caress working those kitchens anyway. lol again if all you've done is work in hotels or country clubs.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Hmmmmm calling yourself 'chef' if you're a sous is questionable lol.... I got offered a sous position (ended up taking an office job instead) but I wouldn't call myself chef.

If you're going to get super heated about the subject on top of that then just wow man.

I still run one of the kitchens, and my name's on the menu.

I get it though, I'm a dick. It comes with the territory, everything needs to be short and to the point. There's not a lot of time in a kitchen to be polite and make sure nobody gets upset because the people in the dining room don't care.

e: seriously, you couldn't have left my avatar alone? dicks.

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

There's not a lot of time in a kitchen to be polite and make sure nobody gets upset because the people in the dining room don't care.

GWS is not a kitchen. It is a place to communicate with other people.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

bartolimu posted:

No paste, I have the spices so I make the curry myself on the fly. In descending order of amount, though I don't measure anything nowadays: coriander, turmeric, mustard seed, nigella, fenugreek, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, clove. Mustard seed goes in the pan with some oil until it starts popping. Then add nigella, wait a minute, drop in minced garlic and onion. Grind other spices into powder, add to pan. Cook until highly aromatic and the onion goes translucent. Add eggplant and tofu. Water or broth to cover, maybe a dash of white wine, lid partially, simmer 20 minutes or until oil starts to break. Finish with a bit of yogurt if you like after taking it off the heat.

lol thats a great recipe but it makes me laugh cause it reminds me of being a poor student. We would wait til the end of the academic year and go to the halls of residence, emptying the kitchens there of all leftover condiments and spices, non-perishables and basically anything the students left behind. This is actually how i learnt about tumeric, nigella, fenugreek and cumin
which is why your recipe reminded me of it.

Personally, I always add yoghurt to curries. Not to take off the heat, but because of the rich and creamy consistency it gives to curry - which i hate when runny.

im going to convert this into a visual recipe for the visual learners here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I still run one of the kitchens, and my name's on the menu.

I get it though, I'm a dick. It comes with the territory, everything needs to be short and to the point. There's not a lot of time in a kitchen to be polite and make sure nobody gets upset because the people in the dining room don't care.

e: seriously, you couldn't have left my avatar alone? dicks.

No I get that. And idk if you saw my edit but I had a sous I called chef because she ran the kitchen while the exec ran the second back kitchen so yeah alright. It varies.

But there's a difference between short and to the point and getting mad and flustered. I hate when expos start freaking out and getting flustered because they are falling behind or something. It just runs that much less smoothly.

But either way this isn't a kitchen and we aren't running a service.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 25, 2015

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Sorry Chef :P

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

GWS spoons elitists: a little more Thomas Keller and a little less Gordon Ramsay.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I want to like Nigella but eh

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

fyodor posted:

GWS spoons elitists: a little more Thomas Keller and a little less Gordon Ramsay.

The irony being Thomas Keller is worse to work for.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
This steak tastes like it was prepped by someone using a tablespoon...

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp

I've heard that Gordon Ramsay is actually a really nice person IRL and when not being intentionally ridiculous for the cameras

E: Just saw that title, was calling the man a friend of the family human being really justified?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

I think Dr David Thorpe should tear up his medical license NOW.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Gordon Ramsey in his British shows looks like a cool dude to work for.

Not his fault the producers on the American shows told him to crank up the pissed off yelling to 11.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
it takes a lot of hard work, training and discipline to make a rag tag bundle of scrubs into a Platoon and i find that subforum name highly offensive

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cites?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol thats a great recipe but it makes me laugh cause it reminds me of being a poor student. We would wait til the end of the academic year and go to the halls of residence, emptying the kitchens there of all leftover condiments and spices, non-perishables and basically anything the students left behind. This is actually how i learnt about tumeric, nigella, fenugreek and cumin
which is why your recipe reminded me of it.

Personally, I always add yoghurt to curries. Not to take off the heat, but because of the rich and creamy consistency it gives to curry - which i hate when runny.

im going to convert this into a visual recipe for the visual learners here

are the boobs required because honestly im not super interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Personally, I can't believe that with all the hard work in modern medicine and charitable raising of awareness that we have the AUDACITY to call our banlist the "Leper's colony." it basically undoes HUNDREDS OF YEARS of hard work by caring people.