Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eimi posted:

Yeah it was, and it was all because GW made Orc players fight on the same side as Chaos. They collectively said gently caress that, hosed over everyone, and GW grudgingly let them sucker punch the Everchosen. Of course in End Times(which destroyed WFB) it's all about the Everchosen punching Grimgor in the dick forever as revenge for that. The writers /love/ Chaos.

And now Age of Sigmar is somehow worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

Yup. They're the only super tall buff manly men in ridiculous armor after all.

Yeah that's very fair. It seems to be a very bare bones experience. Stuff just barely works and a lot of the fun parts of the WAR experience aren't in at all. Public quests are non functional. Collision barely works. Etc.

warbosses are super tall buff men in ridiculous armor, two outta three ain't bad

chaos always seemed really dumb to me, but not in the good way that orks are dumb

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

wdarkk posted:

Age of Sigmar is rather miraculous in its awfulness. I have no explanation for it other than some complicated Producers esque scheme to get GW to go bankrupt.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Eimi posted:

Yeah it was, and it was all because GW made Orc players fight on the same side as Chaos. They collectively said gently caress that, hosed over everyone, and GW grudgingly let them sucker punch the Everchosen. Of course in End Times(which destroyed WFB) it's all about the Everchosen punching Grimgor in the dick forever as revenge for that. The writers /love/ Chaos.

"Sir, our fans love Grimgor! They love how it ended and how the orcs were, well.. orcs! What should we do, sir, to capitalize on this?"
"RETCON IT, WILLIAMS! THE BALLS OF REALITY MUST TOUCH AND GRIMGOR MUST PAY!"
"W.. what?"

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

So you'd prefer your PVP to be gear, or some progression metric based thing vs. everyone being on an equal playing field? Interesting :q:

I'd view it as a necessary evil if the game is focused on persistent characters which increase in power through gameplay. If you remove that progression you're left with an entirely different kind of game.

I can appreciate that you prefer pvp where all parties are equal in power, but power progression is the entire hook of the MMO genre, and people find it compelling.

The problem can be mitigated if pvp is asymmetric in ways other than character progression - e.g. not necessarily having equal numbers on both sides. That seems a better way of solving the problem in power progression games, rather than simply saying "power progression games shouldn't exist / shouldn't have pvp".

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

wdarkk posted:

I mean the lizardmen did kill Be'lakor by throwing rocks at him. That's pretty great.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I hope you're all psyched to make beautiful Aurin in five days.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Wtf happened to Warhammer Fantasy, I was talking to a guildie on WoW and he said Slaanesh was dead now and there are only 3 chaos gods now because GW wants to appeal more to kids. Is this true?

Pesterchum posted:

:gonk:...................:q:

I never played Wildstar, did the game have any redeeming values outside of player housing? Loud annoying Nostalgia wannabe baby makes it sound like it had so much "potential"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x3R0yCo228

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 25, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

why is his fedora floppy

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Wtf happened to Warhammer Fantasy, I was talking to a guildie on WoW and he said Slaanesh was dead now and there are only 3 chaos gods now because GW wants to appeal more to kids. Is this true?

:gonk:...................:q:

I never played Wildstar, did the game have any redeeming values outside of player housing? Loud annoying Nostalgia wannabe baby makes it sound like it had so much "potential"
GW literally blew up warhammer fantasy. I dunno about appealing more to kids but they're certainly focusing more on appealing more to their space marine loving fan boys so rip that setting.

Housing is the one thing WS didn't utterly gently caress up.

It had potential, but blew it all by making every poor decision imaginable.

I can't wait to never leave my housing plot and its pre-order rocket house of shame. I can also finally open all those remaining boom boxes and probably get a ton of rep flasks. :smith:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Somewhere along the way Games Workshop murdered anyone in the company that knows how to make a game and now all they know how to do is make wannabe saturday morning cartoon fantasies with one army in their line up being the hero of every episode. Every other army in their games that isn't the GW favorite just gets ignored. In 40k I think Dark Eldar went almost a decade, 8 or 9 years, without an update while space marines get one every six months or so. It is not unusual for other army books to be referencing rules that are two editions out of date and GW just doesn't even care enough to spend 30 seconds putting something up on a website about it because if you're not playing their chosen army you're just supposed to be fodder for them.

edit: Also their remaining fanbase is a battered house wife about this and will argue it with all the venom and pettiness they can muster on the internet. That's how I got this avatar.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Pesterchum posted:

Now I want to see more examples of character creation slider abuse. Didn't realize that you could distort faces that much.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dolphin Fetus posted:

There are a lot of goons playing a lot of MMO's far shittier than Wildstar. Wildstar gets singled out for special hate because the dev team is full of the grogiest of grognard man babies.

I enjoyed the core gameplay or at least did once I found a class I liked, housing was outstanding and dungeons were fun. The problem is 99.99% of the playerbase never saw anything past that first dungeon they tried because poo poo was hilariously overtuned.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

hit button posted:

I'd view it as a necessary evil if the game is focused on persistent characters which increase in power through gameplay. If you remove that progression you're left with an entirely different kind of game.

I can appreciate that you prefer pvp where all parties are equal in power, but power progression is the entire hook of the MMO genre, and people find it compelling.

The problem can be mitigated if pvp is asymmetric in ways other than character progression - e.g. not necessarily having equal numbers on both sides. That seems a better way of solving the problem in power progression games, rather than simply saying "power progression games shouldn't exist / shouldn't have pvp".

that different kind of game is objectively better in every way

people who find pvp progression compelling are gibbering troglodytes who probably find the sight of their drool on the floor compelling

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Everything has "potential". Just look at every goddamn OP for a new MMO in this subforum.

Potential is not a good measure of whether a game will become a sack of poo poo.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

poo poo I hate to say I agree with just about everything a yelling youtube man says.. but yeah

If you want a real well thought out reason why wildstar sucks so bad watch this video.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
They've made the game better recently, and the F2P relaunch looks to double down on that, but it's still not worth paying a cent for. As a F2P game, though? It's not the worst.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

"If you still talk fondly about Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King... Well, Nexus is waiting for you"

:nallears:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Pesterchum posted:

I'll download this game just for the chance of 20 goons with hosed up faces following random people and yelling "Save yourself! Uninstall this game!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SumYungGui posted:

Somewhere along the way Games Workshop murdered anyone in the company that knows how to make a game and now all they know how to do is make wannabe saturday morning cartoon fantasies with one army in their line up being the hero of every episode. Every other army in their games that isn't the GW favorite just gets ignored. In 40k I think Dark Eldar went almost a decade, 8 or 9 years, without an update while space marines get one every six months or so. It is not unusual for other army books to be referencing rules that are two editions out of date and GW just doesn't even care enough to spend 30 seconds putting something up on a website about it because if you're not playing their chosen army you're just supposed to be fodder for them.

edit: Also their remaining fanbase is a battered house wife about this and will argue it with all the venom and pettiness they can muster on the internet. That's how I got this avatar.

They shifted their focus to selling plastic to fourteen year old boys years ago, and there's always a fresh supply of them for the churn. People who have actually been playing for five years, let alone ten or more, are sales already made even when rules or sculpt changes mandate new purchases.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Verranicus posted:

They've made the game better recently, and the F2P relaunch looks to double down on that, but it's still not worth paying a cent for. As a F2P game, though? It's not the worst.

Putting sprinkles on a turd sandwich doesn't suddenly make it worth eating.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
hot tip if anyone talking about an mmo uses the phrase "has good potential" then run away because that means it's a poo poo sandwich that in their fantasies gets the Dream Patch that makes it the best game ever

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

They shifted their focus to selling plastic to fourteen year old boys years ago, and there's always a fresh supply of them for the churn. People who have actually been playing for five years, let alone ten or more, are sales already made even when rules or sculpt changes mandate new purchases.

Was "years ago" when they founded the company?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Comrayn posted:

Are you implying that his hobby is actually for children?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Gildiss posted:

Man children, maybe.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Bieeardo posted:

Sure, but then they doubled the price of the models so now in order to get 5 Stormfront Stormwaffen Sturmtroopers its like 50$.(That look like fat c3p0s) But yeah for a more indepth look at the insanity that is GW, I'll link you to our Fantasy thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411068&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=469#post447167507 That should be about where it transitioned from rumors to the full reveal in all its horror.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 25, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Comrayn posted:

Well, way back when they did publish a fair number of related games, licensed a few without sabotaging themselves, and hadn't yet flown up the rear end of their tumorous fluff. These days? gently caress. They internally consider Dawn of War and other PC games competition, and when people clamored for a Space Hulk re-release, they made a tiny production run out of lovely materials. Since then, they've canceled official tournaments and poo poo, too. Something's definitely changed over the course of a generation.

Gildiss posted:

I just find GW and its history a fascinating rubberneck, you couldn't pay me to play it. Teen me blew his savings on Magic, RPGs, and R/C parts, and I'm still kicking myself over the Magic cards.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The best example of Games Workshop being terminally stuck up their own rear end is the (former) CEO's 2013 statement where he proclaimed victory over Pokemon, dismissed video games as something for "other people" to make, and declared that fantasy miniatures are a fundamental cultural phenomenon.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

I'd say the watershed where GW stopped being hobbyists and started becoming capitalist exploiters of the nerd class was late 1987, when they began excluding other companies games from their retail outlets, and their inhouse publication went from general RPG/tabletop stuff to being a glossy advert for overpriced warmans. Everything since then was just a continuation of the general trend.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hit button posted:

Power progression in PVP is bad, end of story. Like you mentioned, having an alternative progression stream is great, but please don't gently caress over balance because babies want numbers to go up. Go play PVE for that :clint:

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Power progression in PVP is bad, end of story.
If you mean "I do not like this thing", that's a totally valid and understandable point of view.

If you mean "This type of game which many people enjoy is inherently objectively bad" then I can't take that seriously.

Asymmetry can be an interesting factor in competitive games, and power progression games are a natural way of exploring those possibilities.

PVP between perfectly balanced parties is cool and good, but I don't see why you'd advocate for it in games where the motivation loop is based on power progression. There are plenty of pvp games which do not depend on power progression to provide that kind of experience. Why make the PVP element of an MMO into an entirely separate progression-less MOBA-like experience, when you can just play MOBAs instead?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Well he was correct on one point, Games Workshop's biggest enemy is indeed themselves.

Seriously if people are interested in amazing trainwrecks you should check out the Games Workshop Deathpool Thread, 600+ pages of bad decisions, baffling management, and derision.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Power progression in PVP is bad, end of story. Like you mentioned, having an alternative progression stream is great, but please don't gently caress over balance because babies want numbers to go up. Go play PVE for that :clint:

I've played smite with you, I know you don't believe this entirely

hit button posted:

I'd say the watershed where GW stopped being hobbyists and started becoming capitalist exploiters of the nerd class was late 1987, when they began excluding other companies games from their retail outlets, and their inhouse publication went from general RPG/tabletop stuff to being a glossy advert for overpriced warmans. Everything since then was just a continuation of the general trend.

One time some friends and I were really bored and stuck in this mall for another hour or two while we were waiting for someone's flight, and we thought "hey let's just buy some lovely magic card pack and play some magic while we wait" but the only open game shop was a games workshop store. The look on their faces when we all walked in and loudly asked if they had any magic cards was loving priceless.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pierson posted:

Well he was correct on one point, Games Workshop's biggest enemy is indeed themselves.

Seriously if people are interested in amazing trainwrecks you should check out the Games Workshop Deathpool Thread, 600+ pages of bad decisions, baffling management, and derision.

All Hellthreads eventually link together into one giant Rat King of mockery.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

hit button posted:

If you mean "I do not like this thing", that's a totally valid and understandable point of view.

If you mean "This type of game which many people enjoy is inherently objectively bad" then I can't take that seriously.

Asymmetry can be an interesting factor in competitive games, and power progression games are a natural way of exploring those possibilities.

PVP between perfectly balanced parties is cool and good, but I don't see why you'd advocate for it in games where the motivation loop is based on power progression. There are plenty of pvp games which do not depend on power progression to provide that kind of experience. Why make the PVP element of an MMO into an entirely separate progression-less MOBA-like experience, when you can just play MOBAs instead?

This came off as absolutely sincere until you recommended playing a MOBA. Nice try.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The funny thing is, mobas have progression inside every game, and it just makes things worse. Oh you died? Now your enemy has more levels and gold than you, enjoy losing for the rest of the game. I hope your flavour of moba has a give up button.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Truga posted:

The funny thing is, mobas have progression inside every game, and it just makes things worse. Oh you died? Now your enemy has more levels and gold than you, enjoy losing for the rest of the game. I hope your flavour of moba has a give up button.

Holy lmao this post

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

jjac posted:

This came off as absolutely sincere until you recommended playing a MOBA. Nice try.

I've never actually played a MOBA :ohdear:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SarutosZero posted:

Putting sprinkles on a turd sandwich doesn't suddenly make it worth eating.

It's really not as bad as people are making it out to be, but it's still bad. I'd say it's worth playing as a free game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Truga posted:

I don't like losing a competitive game make it more equal please.

• Locked thread