Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

MrDoDo posted:

I suppose it could be tax for the entire price of the phone. I just assumed each payment would be taxed. I don't have a problem paying it, it just would have been nice to have that disclosed upfront I guess.

Taking your first payment now should make it easier to upgrade in the future though right? Otherwise you'd have to wait til October for an upgrade unless I'm mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Taking your first payment now should make it easier to upgrade in the future though right? Otherwise you'd have to wait til October for an upgrade unless I'm mistaken.

Ya I'm dumb. Crunching the numbers its exactly sales tax + first month, which is I think how NEXT does it. The monthly payment is just on my ATT bill for NEXT so I assumed I paid sales tax on that. Well I guess just a fair warning to others expecting to go and plunk down a simple first months payment only.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MrDoDo posted:

I suppose it could be tax for the entire price of the phone. I just assumed each payment would be taxed. I don't have a problem paying it, it just would have been nice to have that disclosed upfront I guess.

You're taxed up front. Im doing AT&T Next and my card was charged 91 dollars through Apple.

[edit] Secret ProTip: Your first AT&T bill may also have a 36 dollar activation fee on it. (This is *arguably* removable if you call them and get lucky.)

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is the Apple Store the only place to buy an unlocked phone? Also doesn't Amex have some sort of extended warranty if you purchase a phone with their card or am I making that up?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MrDoDo posted:

Ya I'm dumb. Crunching the numbers its exactly sales tax + first month, which is I think how NEXT does it. The monthly payment is just on my ATT bill for NEXT so I assumed I paid sales tax on that. Well I guess just a fair warning to others expecting to go and plunk down a simple first months payment only.

Maybe you should move to a state with no sales tax :smug:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got my 6S Plus earlier today. 3D Touch is pretty sweet; I can't wait for more apps to enable it. It's nice in Apple Music to preview the For You playlists rather than going on and backing out. Less motions, quicker to navigate. I like it. Camera too is a nice little upgrade from my 6.

Took what felt like forever to sync my Apple Watch to it though :v:.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
GOOD LORD TOUCH ID IS SO FAST NOW

I can't get used to it yet .. wow it's fast.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh okay yeah 3D Touch works way better now that I'm doing it right.

It's increasing pressure after an initial press, not a matter of "JAM YOUR THUMB IN THE SCREEN AS HARD AS POSSIBLE".

Dunno how I missed that.

Wait hold on a loving second--you can multitask and get back to the screen with 3D Touch and activate Siri with your voice. What with the "Touch ID built into the screen" patent... Are the home button'a days numbered?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 25, 2015

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

For anyone who has a reservation at an Apple Store: even though I had a 1pm reservation, I'm still waiting in a pretty substantial line going outside and around the corner of the store I'm at in NYC.

YMMV

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Etrips posted:

Is the Apple Store the only place to buy an unlocked phone? Also doesn't Amex have some sort of extended warranty if you purchase a phone with their card or am I making that up?

I'll find out for sure in an hour but a random Apple Store employee told me last night that they wouldn't let you leave unless you activate a voice and data plan. When I said I specifically bought the unlocked he still said I'd have to go through t-mobile set up (TMobile is the unlocked phone). I don't understand why buying unlocked Apple phones always has to be such a hassle.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Went from a 5 to 6S so Touch ID is loving awesome. I use 1Password so my iCloud/Apple password is just a string of random characters so I always hated having been asking to enter my password again cause I'd have to open 1P and copy and paste.

Speaking of which maybe I'm slow but holy poo poo I never knew about the 1P extension (or extensions in general I guess). This is blowing my mind.

The size and keyboard are gonna take some getting use to. It's just not really comfortable holding it with one hand like I did the 5, and typing one handed is extra hard.

Not a fan of this new app switching AT ALL. It's like the lovely cover view in iTunes that Steve kept showing off like its so cool but no it's loving awful.

Whoa it's also not correcting loving to ducking. Not sure if that's an iOS 8 to iOS 9 thing but it's kinda neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

For anyone who has a reservation at an Apple Store: even though I had a 1pm reservation, I'm still waiting in a pretty substantial line going outside and around the corner of the store I'm at in NYC.

YMMV

I had a line too, but it was short enough that I was still out of there by the end of my reservation window.

Talonus
Jun 17, 2006

MrDoDo posted:

Whoever was walking you through the process at the Apple store should've laid that out for you. Mine specifically warned me that would be occurring.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

mAlfunkti0n posted:

GOOD LORD TOUCH ID IS SO FAST NOW

I can't get used to it yet .. wow it's fast.

Seriously. I couldn't believe how much faster it is. It's like it happens before you're able to think about it happening.

Drastic Actions posted:

Got my 6S Plus earlier today. 3D Touch is pretty sweet;

I was really on the fence about how well this would be, but I'll be damned. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use. Can't wait to see how other apps take advantage of it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

All these reports of credit cards being denied for the Upgrade Plan has me worried.. I'm really hoping my process is quick and I can get on the road back home instead of wasting my time standing around all night empty handed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All these reports of credit cards being denied for the Upgrade Plan has me worried.. I'm really hoping my process is quick and I can get on the road back home instead of wasting my time standing around all night empty handed.

It's just a credit check, isn't it? If you have bad credit, a lender might tell you to piss off. That's how the world works.

If you a have fair credit rating there's nothing to worry about.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Logically sure, but that's not what a lot of folks are reporting. I'm not worried about the credit portion, it just seems like there are some problems popping up for a lot of people for no reason.

If the store wasn't 1.5 hours away it wouldn't really bother me.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So literally nobody is at work with me today so I'm thinking of packing up early; what're the odds the Apple store folks tell me to piss off if I'm ~5 hours early for my appointment? The store is a mile away from work but 15 away from home..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If there's any kind of line, they'll tell you to piss off to the back of the line. Anyone with a current appointment will get in ahead of you.

Otherwise I assume they'll let you in if no one else is waiting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jiffynuts posted:

Seriously. I couldn't believe how much faster it is. It's like it happens before you're able to think about it happening.

I was really on the fence about how well this would be, but I'll be damned. It's pretty intuitive and easy to use. Can't wait to see how other apps take advantage of it.

Being able to 3D Touch a post to quote/edit in Awful would be pretty freaking great

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I turn off the "Nearby" and "News" thing on the screen that I get to by swiping left on the home screen?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Oh okay yeah 3D Touch works way better now that I'm doing it right.

It's increasing pressure after an initial press, not a matter of "JAM YOUR THUMB IN THE SCREEN AS HARD AS POSSIBLE".

Dunno how I missed that.

Wait hold on a loving second--you can multitask and get back to the screen with 3D Touch and activate Siri with your voice. What with the "Touch ID built into the screen" patent... Are the home button'a days numbered?

Apple Patents are worthless. They mean nothing.

I remember several years ago Apple patenting a Cinema Display with tiny cameras between each pixel so that the entire screen was a facetime camera.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do I turn off the "Nearby" and "News" thing on the screen that I get to by swiping left on the home screen?

Settings > General > Spotlight Search and tap the toggle switch to turn off Siri Suggestions to remove all of it. Otherwise toggling "Spotlight Suggestions" will remove News. Nothing will remove Nearby though? Even when you don't have location on lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GenericGirlName posted:

Settings > General > Spotlight Search and tap the toggle switch to turn off Siri Suggestions to remove all of it. Otherwise toggling "Spotlight Suggestions" will remove News. Nothing will remove Nearby though? Even when you don't have location on lol

I like how Siri will even search apps that could not possibly produce results. Calculator? Uh okay guys.

I mean it just throws every app on the phone in there and I assume lets the app deal with it, but filtering obvious duds would have been nice.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

xzzy posted:

I like how Siri will even search apps that could not possibly produce results. Calculator? Uh okay guys.

I mean it just throws every app on the phone in there and I assume lets the app deal with it, but filtering obvious duds would have been nice.

I agree. I wanted to go in there and delete unnecessary stuff but hell if I'm going to prune all the puzzle games just so I can stop it wasting time to search twitter. I'll just turn it all off!~

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GenericGirlName posted:

That kinds works. Got rid of news but I like that it shows suggested friends and recent apps. But I don't want the nearby stuff cause it's useless to me.

Edit: "Bing Web Results" :lol:

Edit2: I found out that turning off Maps will remove the Nearby stuff!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 25, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So far I think 3D Touch is really great. Cool feature, especially with the haptic feedback that makes it feel like you're really clicking a button.

However I feel like the apps that utilize it are obviously limited and sometimes it seems pretty useless in-app. I can't think of a scenario where I'd need to "peak" into an iMessage conversation. Mail makes more sense since peaking into an email leaves it marked as unread. The little submenus on the homepage are awesome though and I feel like once this is fully implemented into a variety of apps it will be awesome.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mahoning posted:

So far I think 3D Touch is really great. Cool feature, especially with the haptic feedback that makes it feel like you're really clicking a button.

However I feel like the apps that utilize it are obviously limited and sometimes it seems pretty useless in-app. I can think of a scenario where I'd need to "peak" into an iMessage conversation. Mail makes more sense since peaking into an email leaves it marked as unread. The little submenus on the homepage are awesome though and I feel like once this is fully implemented into a variety of apps it will be awesome.

I think the touchpad mode when hard pressing the keyboard is gonna be a good thing. It mostly works in Awful app already but I couldn't get it to select text. Once that's working my comedy while phone posting will be amazing.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'll find out for sure in an hour but a random Apple Store employee told me last night that they wouldn't let you leave unless you activate a voice and data plan. When I said I specifically bought the unlocked he still said I'd have to go through t-mobile set up (TMobile is the unlocked phone). I don't understand why buying unlocked Apple phones always has to be such a hassle.

Do let me know. I do not want to send the wife out only to get turned away.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm surprised that the DND mode hasn't been updated to be more fine tuned. Like during the week I don't wanna be bothered from 11pm to 6am but on the weekend I'd like to have more like 2am to 9am or something like that. I remember the last time I used the scheduled DND mode I kept missing calls and texts from people asking me where I was sitting at the bar or whatever.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FCKGW posted:

Apple Patents are worthless. They mean nothing.

I remember several years ago Apple patenting a Cinema Display with tiny cameras between each pixel so that the entire screen was a facetime camera.

That has to be the strangest thing I've heard in a long time

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anyone else having weird zooming issues with Wallet?

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
No hope for the upgrade program if you're a prepaid T-mobile customer. I was told I would have to either switch plans or pay for the phone up front. They will have to take my beloved Dork Plan out of my rotting putrid fingers because I barely use my talk minutes and am surrounded by wifi. Terrible deal for me that will end up costing way too much in the long run to justify going with Apple Upgrade. I'm not paying at $20 more for something I don't really use just to get the phone NOWNOWNOW so I'm going with my original plan of action: save up to buy myself a shiny new Christmas present up front.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Selenite posted:

No hope for the upgrade program if you're a prepaid T-mobile customer. I was told I would have to either switch plans or pay for the phone up front. They will have to take my beloved Dork Plan out of my rotting putrid fingers because I barely use my talk minutes and am surrounded by wifi. Terrible deal for me that will end up costing way too much in the long run to justify going with Apple Upgrade. I'm not paying at $20 more for something I don't really use just to get the phone NOWNOWNOW so I'm going with my original plan of action: save up to buy myself a shiny new Christmas present up front.

Thankfully my contract with verizon ended so I plan on buying the phone on the upgrade plan, activating on Verizon and then jumping ship to the prepaid plan.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I was in an out of my AT&T store in Los Angeles in 10 minutes with a Rose Gold 6S. Downgrading from the plus because I really dislike carrying a computer monitor in my pocket.

As long as you aren't after a Rose Gold S+; everything seems to be easy as hell to get this year.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011

Thankfully my contract with verizon ended so I plan on buying the phone on the upgrade plan, activating on Verizon and then jumping ship to the prepaid plan.

Great that it works out for you. I'll either bide my time or get more info on the Jump! on Demand lease.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nerdrum posted:

As long as you aren't after a Rose Gold S+; everything seems to be easy as hell to get this year.

It was pretty great to walk into the Apple store and see row after row of iPhones organized like dominos on the back counter.

Just by eyeing them as I went past, the white phone seems to be the least popular because they had at least a hundred of them sitting out, compared to smaller numbers of the other shades.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So when I'm riding anyway to start GPS purely through Siri without having to hit the confirmation button on the route? I've tried things like "star navigation" etc

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I had a fun time with my icloud account somehow being linked to an ancient email address which really really gummed up my backup restore. Now that it's settled, I am finally getting to use the phone. I guess I have gigantic hands because I can use the 6s+ with one hand with no problem. I can't imagine going to a midget phone again.

Also force touch makes no loving sense to me. How much force does it take to activate?

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

unlawfulsoup posted:

I had a fun time with my icloud account somehow being linked to an ancient email address which really really gummed up my backup restore. Now that it's settled, I am finally getting to use the phone. I guess I have gigantic hands because I can use the 6s+ with one hand with no problem. I can't imagine going to a midget phone again.

Also force touch makes no loving sense to me. How much force does it take to activate?

I'm the same way. I thought going from the 6 to the plus would be a big difference but it's not.

And I agree, does take some getting used to with 3D Touch