Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I honestly didn't play Napoleon much and I might be turned off by FOTS but I feel that melee-oriented combat is more fun to play than guns.

You can do melee-oriented really well in FoTS though, provided terrain doesn't screw you over. Guns need LoS to fire so if you hide behind a hill with all your swords/spears you can charge the guns just as they crest, before they can fire, and win in melee. Archers are also great in FoTS since they can fire up into forts and out-range everything but maybe the light-infantry variants the AI rarely uses. All of the cav is good too. The only real issues are the traditional buildings slowing down your tech progress--somewhat minor--and very late in the game when the gun units get better at smacking you with rifles.

Napoleon used a similar strategy and called it "reverse hill defense" only instead of bunches of samurai waiting on the other side he had cannons and guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Rome 2 is boring and lifeless, and its strategic map is obtuse and mostly irrelevant.

Despite this, I still bought attila but I am not that excited by it.

What is it about the strategic campaign that is so droll? IDGI. The battles are ok, not the greatest but still.... and Rome 1 was fantastic... I might have a matching number of hours there as I do in S2(1200+; I hate you Steam).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Decus posted:

You can do melee-oriented really well in FoTS though, provided terrain doesn't screw you over. Guns need LoS to fire so if you hide behind a hill with all your swords/spears you can charge the guns just as they crest, before they can fire, and win in melee. Archers are also great in FoTS since they can fire up into forts and out-range everything but maybe the light-infantry variants the AI rarely uses. All of the cav is good too. The only real issues are the traditional buildings slowing down your tech progress--somewhat minor--and very late in the game when the gun units get better at smacking you with rifles.

Napoleon used a similar strategy and called it "reverse hill defense" only instead of bunches of samurai waiting on the other side he had cannons and guns.

Oh yeah and I did it a few times, its neat and fun. What I meant was that playing a gun army in FOTS is mostly about making the AI march into the kill zone of your armstrong guns and then murdering them with kneel fire before they even get close. Napoleon/Empire battles would obviously be less one-sided affairs.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Empire: bring more big guns, murder them with shrapnel shot and fire by rank. Still fun. And best naval battles in any TW.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

DiHK posted:

Despite this, I still bought attila but I am not that excited by it.

What is it about the strategic campaign that is so droll? IDGI. The battles are ok, not the greatest but still.... and Rome 1 was fantastic... I might have a matching number of hours there as I do in S2(1200+; I hate you Steam).

I dunno if my feelings are universal, but for me it's really just all the little bits of fluff they trimmed out- the lack of meaningful resources and trade nodes, and the agents being all homogeneous and boring now. They gave me something to plan and build around where there would be tangible rewards at the end- getting gold accuracy arrows etc had a very noticeable effect on how your archers shoot, the agent skills were way more differentiated, stuff like that. I actually way prefer the building management aspect in the new games but the fact that growth has an eventual cap so I can't just strive to make gigantic super cities kind of kills that too. Even in Rome 1/ Medieval 2 silly poo poo like being able to manually place watchtowers and forts gave me a real sense I'd personally crafted my empire rather than just slapped buildings in predefined slots and stuff.

Shogun 2's map is also way better. Choke points to plan around, few boring open plains, only one front on the sea in most places so you didn't have to constantly worry about naval invasions from every direction.

Playing as a horde in Attila actually tickles the same itch I got from the old games though and I don't really know why.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I mostly just want the strategic map to be a place where I build dudes and move them on a risk-like board. Screw movement cost and all that nonsense, clarity should be key. Its the battles that matter, not the strategic layer. gently caress agents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did Rome 2 ever bring back the procedurally generated battle maps from Rome 1 and Medieval 2 that were based on where you fought on the Campaign Map? I really missed those in Empire where you would get a thousand fields and one lovely town, or how Shogun 2 just had a handful of maps that threw a rocky hill on one deployment zone or the other, and then the AI would always rush for it regardless of whether they were attacking or defending.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mostly just want the strategic map to be a place where I build dudes and move them on a risk-like board. Screw movement cost and all that nonsense, clarity should be key. Its the battles that matter, not the strategic layer. gently caress agents.

I mostly agree concerning agents. I'm playing Medieval 2 right now (because it's the only TW that runs nicely on my laptop, for some reason even Rome 1 runs really poorly on the map screen) and dealing with diplomats, princesses, merchants, priests, spies, and assassins is the worst.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I liked that a lot in M2, but it could lead to some funky stuff in rough places like scotland, where I had to fast forward through an hour of single file infantry running away along these terrible paths. Napoleon seems to have ironed that out a lot but the maps were a lot more boring last I played (as Brits fighting mostly in Northern France). S2's maps were lame and predictable but not quite boring.

Koramei posted:

I dunno if my feelings are universal...

Not exactly but that helped me put my finger on some of the suckiness. Characters across the board are not engaging at all, even with 4 turns a year the skills were not truly exciting. Polotics had way to much effort put into it, and I suspect it will be a cycle or two before politics are good and and characters are interesting again. Attila seems to handle it a bit better with the governors but I'm only 30 or so turns into my first game there so I can't really say.

The this or that limit on city buildings is fine for early game but I agree that capping growth creates an arbitrary system of limits that you can overcome but only at great tedium. I like the idea of provinces but I'm still not sure about the execution. I do miss being able to build significant defenses on the map, the encampment doesn't do it for me.

The limited modding really fucks it all up for me, especially with the campaign map. SEGA needs to back the gently caress off of that poo poo.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

dogstile posted:

I like the revolver general, because I can just park them in any siege battle on the second wall

Okay, yeah, it is true that a unit which is at a disadvantage in a field engagement can in fact be quite effective when absolutely every single tactical factor is set up to play to their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

With regard to agents, I feel like Shogun 2 got agents fairly correct in that there are some which you're going to park in armies and forget about, some you're going to park in cities and forget about, and some which spend their time either attached to or scouting ahead of your armies. M2 was certainly peak agent silliness, and while Rome 2 kept the S2 model of hard-limited agents most of which are good at buffing/debuffing things and all of which can be used as scouts in a pinch, the sheer number of nations especially at the start of the game means it's not very far behind at all.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the way agents are (supposed to be anyway) handled in the Warhammer game; actually showing up on the tactical map with usable abilities could be pretty loving neat.

e: also, having captured a town with Gunsmith capacity, I'm turning out Yugekitai units with 93 base accuracy, looking forward to ruining some general's entire day with a single four-unit volley.

And I have a geisha named Kamatari, makes me chuckle every time she levels up.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Agents in S2 were fine except after realm divide where every clan in japan would spam them at you constantly and it got annoying as hell

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
S2's problem was less agent design like M2 and more near-dead armies being able to burn your poo poo as they retreated. If they're burning my poo poo during the march? That's fine/acceptable and decent design to try to draw players out of their forts. But on the way out/while they're near-dead? Petty. As. gently caress.

If somebody were able to make a mod that removed petty AI behavior from both S2 and FotS I'd consider them perfect games since at this point it's about the only thing that annoys me about them outside of online play not letting you mop-up. Which, really, is only annoying because it leads directly to your money/resources burning more often than single player.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I dunno, if I was on the run I'd probably try to burn as much enemy poo poo as possible, too.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gimnbo posted:

I dunno, if I was on the run I'd probably try to burn as much enemy poo poo as possible, too.
Where's Jeddite when you need him?

The stances and map features like ambushes are dumb because the computer only ever fucks them up (both in Shogun 2 and in Rome 2). The Shogun 2 army whack a mole is tedious because you have to defeat a stack several times to make them go away / stop raiding, and the whole time they are ruining your province and hiding in woods. It's really pointless.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Napoleon campaign is best campaign :colbert:

Rakthar posted:

Where's Jeddite when you need him?

The stances and map features like ambushes are dumb because the computer only ever fucks them up (both in Shogun 2 and in Rome 2). The Shogun 2 army whack a mole is tedious because you have to defeat a stack several times to make them go away / stop raiding, and the whole time they are ruining your province and hiding in woods. It's really pointless.

Skating around the oceans to catch fleets on double-time is the worst thing to happen to naval combat.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Napoleon campaign is best campaign :colbert:

Skating around the oceans to catch fleets on double-time is the worst thing to happen to naval combat.

Naval stuff was always a gigantic pain in the rear end. loving pirates in Empire, loving British in Napoleon.

Gimnbo posted:

Agreed. Also, when I run away from a fight, I like to phase through enemy armies and sack their cities.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

loving British in Napoleon.

If the Royal Navy weren't a goddamn pain in the arse then Napoleon failed to some extent.

I do kind of hate how the Pirates bloom into massive assholes unchecked in Empire though. THEY HAVE ONE drat ISLAND.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

LonsomeSon posted:

Okay, yeah, it is true that a unit which is at a disadvantage in a field engagement can in fact be quite effective when absolutely every single tactical factor is set up to play to their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Well, if you're going to be so sarcastic, I also like them because if you keep them in reserve you can exploit flanks by running them behind enemies and getting 24 shots into the back of a unit and retreating before they know what hit them. I'm always weary about sending the Katana guys as spears are always close by, the the revolver general is fantastic for making a unit rout in just the right way. Sure they're not great on their own, but I have an army. Why is any unit fighting alone?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Agents in S2 were fine except after realm divide where every clan in japan would spam them at you constantly and it got annoying as hell

Yeah but that's really just a sub-issue of realm divide being a lovely mechanic.

I mean I get why it exists - because by the time you trigger it you're big enough that everyone else SHOULD be ganging up on you in order to provide any sort of challenge. It's just that rather than combining their forces to actually pose a significant threat, they end up just coming at you from everywhere at once and so it ends up being about swatting down a bunch of mini-raids with a few troops on cleanup duty while you take the rest of the territory one province at a time with your main army.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

loving British in Napoleon.

but i am the british in napoleon :confused:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Back To 99 posted:

but i am the british in napoleon :confused:

Yeah it's pretty sweet when every other navy is your bitch.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

If the Royal Navy weren't a goddamn pain in the arse then Napoleon failed to some extent.

I do kind of hate how the Pirates bloom into massive assholes unchecked in Empire though. THEY HAVE ONE drat ISLAND.

not as much as the Maratha Confederacy, who if I forget exist for the first 100 turns are steamrolling through Russia and more than likely attacking my holdings in the Caribbean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah the insane Maratha blob is one of the bigger problems of late game ETW. India really needed to be balanced/have a few more factions.

Watching them utterly steamroll Russia still is hilarious though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Naval stuff was always a gigantic pain in the rear end... loving British

Literally stuff Napoleon would have said if he posted on SA :v:

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah the insane Maratha blob is one of the bigger problems of late game ETW. India really needed to be balanced/have a few more factions.

I remember the one real long campaign I did in Empire where as Prussia I had managed to conquer most of continental Europe and when the Marathas declared war I was like "whatever nerds you far as gently caress away I don't care." Except a while later I had big rear end Maratha fleets showing up and invading like what the fuckk :prepop:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 26, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SeanBeansShako posted:

On the flip side of the coin, it's pretty great to play as Russia and live out Victorian Russia's wet dreams about conquering India by means of Afghanistan. The best part is that European countries tend not to care as much because it's all so far away!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
One of the best campaigns I ever played in any total war game was with Empire's IS mod where I played as the Persians

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Rights Of Man as the Ottomans with the accurate uniforms module. I don't need no bayonets to tame North Africa or Eastern Europe.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SeanBeansShako posted:

are they like vanilla Medieval 2 where if you don't pay attention Poland or Hungary conquer all of eastern Europe?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

are they like vanilla Medieval 2 where if you don't pay attention Poland or Hungary conquer all of eastern Europe?

Basically it's like this: The Marathas start to the south of India, while the Mughals start to the north. There are no other factions in India, and only a few OPMs in Central Asia. The Marathas are stronger than the Mughals, and India is pretty rich.

So yeah, if you're not paying attention it's not unheard of for a horde of Indians to swarm into Europe by way of Persia.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tomn posted:

On the flip side of the coin, it's pretty great to play as Russia and live out Victorian Russia's wet dreams about conquering India by means of Afghanistan. The best part is that European countries tend not to care as much because it's all so far away!

Unfortunately, if you want to fight against Europeans you have to conquer all of the Ottoman Empire, then all of Persia and India. You have to deal with Sweden early on, but they don't have that many provinces to conquer. Meanwhile, your friend Poland becomes uber-powerful and controls all of Europe except for Paris and Britain.

Also your colonial line infantry is better than your domestic line infantry because CA loves to put in racial advantages. Black people and Russians get a bigger charge bonus because they don't understand technology.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

dogstile posted:

Well, if you're going to be so sarcastic, I also like them because if you keep them in reserve you can exploit flanks by running them behind enemies and getting 24 shots into the back of a unit and retreating before they know what hit them. I'm always weary about sending the Katana guys as spears are always close by, the the revolver general is fantastic for making a unit rout in just the right way. Sure they're not great on their own, but I have an army. Why is any unit fighting alone?

Okay, okay, I thought you were being extremely sarcastic, replying to my point about using Yari Ki to hunt tiny general units which can be obliterated within seconds of the charge connecting by citing an instance which stacks absolutely every factor in favor of a small unit with mediocre range and incredible rate of fire. Apparently you were in earnest, so chill.

Also, India was one of my very favorite things about Empire. Playing the Dutch and pouring every scrap of cash you can spare into using Ceylon as a springboard to faceroll Maratha and the Mughals could lead to some hilarious results, including having enough resources to push the British back into their American territories. Pretty sure my most-fun Empire campaign wins all revolved around painting two continents orange.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pycckuu posted:

Also your colonial line infantry is better than your domestic line infantry because CA loves to put in racial advantages. Black people and Russians get a bigger charge bonus because they don't understand technology.

irl the Russians loved the bayonet charge

LonsomeSon posted:

Okay, okay, I thought you were being extremely sarcastic, replying to my point about using Yari Ki to hunt tiny general units which can be obliterated within seconds of the charge connecting by citing an instance which stacks absolutely every factor in favor of a small unit with mediocre range and incredible rate of fire. Apparently you were in earnest, so chill.

What is this butthurt bullshit? Just hide your general better and don't get them charged by cavalry.

Gobblecoque posted:

Literally stuff Napoleon would have said if he posted on SA :v:

The French can eventually fight the British on equal terms, but the other factions can't built ships bigger than 74-gunners. The only way to fight the British is to stack-rush Nelson's fleet and try to autoresolve for captured ships.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pycckuu posted:

I'm trying to imagine a Total War game without racial or cultural advantages. It would probably be worse than your posts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jfood posted:

I'm trying to imagine a Total War game without racial or cultural advantages. It would probably be worse than your posts.

:eyepop:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What is this butthurt bullshit? Just hide your general better and don't get them charged by cavalry.

...what?

I was discussing using my own Ki to hunt enemy general units, and how I don't feel like 18 dudes with revolvers is an upgrade over 45 dudes with swords, in the scenario where I'm mousetrapping enemy general units.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

...what?

I was discussing using my own Ki to hunt enemy general units, and how I don't feel like 18 dudes with revolvers is an upgrade over 45 dudes with swords, in the scenario where I'm mousetrapping enemy general units.

The AI is bad at protecting its general in every gunpowder TW game. But what about dogstile's response to that post made you so angry?

Revolver generals are okay, but I don't like to fool around with my generals in FotS. In my first campaign, my daimyo got artillery sniped 10 minutes into a siege.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The AI is bad at protecting its general in every gunpowder TW game. But what about dogstile's response to that post made you so angry?

LonsomeSon posted:

Okay, okay, I thought you [dogstile] were being extremely sarcastic, replying to my point about using Yari Ki to hunt tiny general units which can be obliterated within seconds of the charge connecting by citing an instance which stacks absolutely every factor in favor of a small unit with mediocre range and incredible rate of fire.

There appears to be something about the text of my posts which makes them difficult to read? Unless answering (mistakenly perceived) sarcasm with sarcasm is no longer socially acceptable here I really don't see what the problem is here.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the last page has been way too agressive for a megathread about total war games.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
These 11 guys have seen some poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Pycckuu posted:

Hahaha. More like Africans and Slavs are peak physical specimens in things like strength and speed. USA and USSR collectively dominated every event at the Olympics for 50 years straight which cracks me up thinking about trying to enjoy the event as any other poo poo-tier nation in the world during the Cold War. Trust me if you had a horde of slavs charging at you in just about any concievable scenario you would probably think OMG RUN! instead of "how uncivilized."