Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nodoze posted:

This is gorgeous

Thanks! Spent a week in Kaanapali for our honeymoon last year. Can't wait to go back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/PqRSZEY.gifv

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

corn in the fridge posted:

Ive thought about doing a thread before but tbh i dont think there's enough content for an entire thread. We don't do a lot of heritage stuff so having both that V8 and DB6 I posted show up in a week was pretty surprising for me even. Maybe at some point I'll make a thread but in the meantime I'm happy to answer anyone's questions about working on aston martins in here or whatever

So in typical high end fashion - I assume the power train itself is rock solid - its the bullshit that surrounds them is the pain - is that pretty accurate statement with Aston's and pretty much any other high end car?

I know its like that in BMW and Mercedes, the engines are solid as poo poo, its all the other crap that explodes.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Too much torque steering bruh, can't handle

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress the point of mass archiving threads is?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Can someone explain to me what the gently caress the point of mass archiving threads is?
It's important for the Internet Batmen to have clues while they're trying catch the Bad Guys.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

lotta really good cuck jokes in newGBS, wouldn't want those to disappear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

You can point out things with no surrounding context whatsoever while squawking "THERE! THERE! HE SAID JEHOVAH!" in order to confront people who did... stuff, under the mistaken impression they really give a poo poo that someone found something they wrote on a largely sarcasm-based forum several years ago.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

reddit is basically trash, but then there are subs like https://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop that are funny.

edit:
:siren: NEW ROADKILL :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRh5KIVO3CM

loving awesome. Am I a bad person for thinking the new Charger tail-lights actually look good on the General Mayhem?

Also lol @ the General Maintenance. Oh, Mopar :allears:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I finally got around to playing Mad Max last night. So far, so good.. But I have serious reservations about some of the character choices, mostly Smeag Chumbucket.. I get that the engine is basically a re-purposed Arkham Asylum/Shadow of Mordor engine and I really like that since those were solid games, which means the fighting in Mad Max is pretty great, but Chumbucket gets on my nerves. Also, the secondary objectives feel like they were added after everything was done.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BrokenKnucklez posted:

So in typical high end fashion - I assume the power train itself is rock solid - its the bullshit that surrounds them is the pain - is that pretty accurate statement with Aston's and pretty much any other high end car?

I know its like that in BMW and Mercedes, the engines are solid as poo poo, its all the other crap that explodes.

Yeah I'd say that's fairly accurate. Most of the cars are pretty low mileage so I suppose the powertrains arent tested much out in the field but we've got one customer with over 140k miles on his early DB9 and the factory have repeatedly asked to buy it back to do a teardown assessment but he says he just gonna keep driving it until it dies :3:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

reddit is basically trash, but then there are subs like https://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop that are funny.

edit:
:siren: NEW ROADKILL :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRh5KIVO3CM

Are... are those nitrous solenoids under the scoop? :stonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are... are those nitrous solenoids under the scoop? :stonk:

Yes, watch the video. There's a 250 shot on it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
God, what a good episode. I love the digs at GMG, that show is not my cup-o-tea.

hahaha "is your dog dumb fat and lazy?!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A gas tanker and another semi tumbled off i-285 onto Georgia 400.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Yeah I'd say that's fairly accurate. Most of the cars are pretty low mileage so I suppose the powertrains arent tested much out in the field but we've got one customer with over 140k miles on his early DB9 and the factory have repeatedly asked to buy it back to do a teardown assessment but he says he just gonna keep driving it until it dies :3:

I would like to see a black stone oil sample on it.

How has it been otherwise?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

A gas tanker and another semi tumbled off i-285 onto Georgia 400.

I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I would like to see a black stone oil sample on it.

How has it been otherwise?

Otherwise? It's pretty much had it all. Radiators and the gearbox oil cooler pipes are wear items on the early 9's. It's had the aerial conversion for the poor radio reception that the early cars suffered from. Window regs and door modules like to pack up so I'm pretty sure it's had them done as well. The dudes not afraid to spend money on it so it generally gets whatever it needs.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

StormDrain posted:

Perhaps you're going from Billings to Great Falls though. Also go ahead and go to Lewistown for a Hot-n-tot at the Dash Inn. It's like a cinnamon soda.

I did say "otherwise interesting places" :downsrim:

I've actually been to the Dash Inn, but I don't like cinnamon drinks. Good fries, though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My Alienware M17x R4 finally took a poo poo. It has the record for longest-lasting laptop I've had at almost 3 full years. It's still under warranty with Dell, but I hate dealing with Dell.

I had them send me a replacement vid card last month, it didn't fix the random reboot / memory errors I was getting, but I was somewhat functional. They sent me the empty cardboard box so I could send it to their depot, but I said I'd hold on until it was fully dead.

Well, it died with a nice flash last night. I got it packed up and ready to go back to them today... only to have them tell me that the empty cardboard box "had expired" and they need to overnight me a new empty cardboard box so I can send it to their depot. So, instead of them getting the laptop back on Monday, it's going to be Wednesday or Thursday. :fuckoff:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I don't know if my personal computer is a fluke but it's a Dell Studio 17 and it's been going strong for 5 years now. I don't have a battery for it since the old one hosed up, and the internal power wire has melted twice, but otherwise it's been great outside of warranty. Inside warranty it went through 2 mobos and 3 HDDs in its first year.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I love how within the first minute they're drifting the General Maintenance around gravel roads :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

I don't know if my personal computer is a fluke but it's a Dell Studio 17 and it's been going strong for 5 years now. I don't have a battery for it since the old one hosed up, and the internal power wire has melted twice, but otherwise it's been great outside of warranty. Inside warranty it went through 2 mobos and 3 HDDs in its first year.

2 years with my M6800, still love it and have next day warranty till 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

2 years with my M6800, still love it and have next day warranty till 2017

The Thinkpad x61 I use when I need a laptop at work is almost 8 years old and going strong.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've had a Dell laptop since 2007 that still runs. The only things I've replaced are the battery and I put a ssd in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Thinkpad x61 I use when I need a laptop at work is almost 8 years old and going strong.

I have an 2 old Precisions, still use as IDE platforms.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I have a Dell D820 a former employer was going to throw out because it was "broken". I scavenged it because I wanted the sweet backpack carrying case. It just had a bad battery, and there was a brand new extended battery in the bag. I installed Ubuntu so I could piddle around with Linux.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Otherwise? It's pretty much had it all. Radiators and the gearbox oil cooler pipes are wear items on the early 9's. It's had the aerial conversion for the poor radio reception that the early cars suffered from. Window regs and door modules like to pack up so I'm pretty sure it's had them done as well. The dudes not afraid to spend money on it so it generally gets whatever it needs.

Sounds like owning any other euro car - BMW, Merc etc.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Edit

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

A one word post? That's a 1 day probation, surely.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I feel like there's something to read between the lines of your post, corn. Is anything the matter? Care to share? We're here to help :sun:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

I feel like there's something to read between the lines of your post, corn. Is anything the matter? Care to share? We're here to help :sun:

the long con

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm just wondering when corn started using punctuation and capitalization. I feel like my world view just shattered :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's because he likes us and wants to contribute in a positive manner to AI, obviously. Keep the Aston Martins coming, bro!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

It's because he likes us and wants to contribute in a positive manner to AI, obviously. Keep the Aston Martins coming, bro!

Every contribution to AI is a positive one. Just like every cop is a corrupt one and every guest wants a plus one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Every contribution to AI is a positive one. Just like every cop is a corrupt one and every guest wants a plus one.

AI needs a Nice! button

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

T1g4h posted:

I'm just wondering when corn started using punctuation and capitalization. I feel like my world view just shattered :(

I only phone post so the auto capitalising and punctuation means I'm actually getting lazier

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sigma X posted:

the long corn

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cage posted:

the long quorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
All I know - or care - about this GamerGate bullshit is that both sides are absolute loving morons. It's one of these rare times both sides who give a gently caress are completely wrong and thence the worst examples of mouthbreathing retards are working it. Frankly roll up everyone from Sarrisken, Quinn, 4chan, Reddit to SJW's, Bronies, Gamers masturbating to Quiet and MRA's, put them on an island and nuke the whole loving lot of them from orbit. It's just a shitshow of utter stupid.

The thing that is amazing is that yes, gaming journalism really does need a huge toilet flush as it is so filled with repulsive stupid and corruption. Yes, there is a serious problem with sexism in gaming. But holy crap this whole GamerGate is just on a new level of loving stupid and the major actors are genuinely foul and obnoxious oxygen theives.

And it just keeps loving going. Not one of these idiots seems to realise that it's literally a slapfight over something that in the end has exactly zero importance in the realworld but yet here we go another round GamerGaters vs SJW's FIGHT!! Maybe the whole lot of them should step outside and play with a football. Or ride a bike. Or..... literally do anything other than mouthbreathe over a computer. SA's tagline of the Internet Makes You Stupid has never been truer with that bunch of cretins.

Now....... gently caress that poo poo I have a kitty on my shoulder and I cant reach for my phone to take a picture. Dont want to disturb sleeping kitty.

• Locked thread