Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
ITC and most tournaments have ruled that you can't jink if you're not targeted.

Makes sense if you don't see it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If you want to go down the rabbit hole of realism, it's not unreasonable to conclude that having a plasma cannon (or whatever) fired in your direction would provoke evasive action away from the blast, even if you're not the aiming point.

But the real reason I came in this thread was to share this helpful reminder from eBay:

I'm happy to report that I have carefully considered it and concluded that: its gay

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

This is kind of my rationale for it, it also adds a bit more strategy to game where jinking can really make certain models a nightmare to put down. This is no more silly than with bikes and FMCs who can jink and then still assault you, which is kind of silly since they have just spent all their time trying to avoid being shot.

SRM posted:

These bikes are baller. I really dig your darker, moodier Ultras in contrast to my dayglo ones. That sergeant is pretty badass looking, but with the gold helmet I'd assume he's a company champion or something.

Yeah, after painting so many models with a lighter shade I finally was swayed by the way they are painted in the Ultramarines painting guide. They just look more "serious" about their job. Of course this leaves a lot of work to do, with some models likely to never be repainted, but since I am going to rebase my entire army it gives me some incentive to do some more customizing. For example I plan on putting the small number transfer for squad markings on knee pads, and I will likely remove the banners from my first sergeants, because they honestly look like poo poo.

The guy is actually just meant to be customizable. I magnetized the left arm and head, so he can be a "Champion, Sergeant, Special Weapon dude" or whatever else is available to bikes. I hadn't really even had the intention of making him a Champion, I just had picked up the Ultramarine customization kit, and really wanted to paint one of those nifty helmets. Also, a Company Champion can't take a powerfist anyway, but I plan on magnetizing a couple heads of my next batch of Suzerain Invictus, so they can me "Chapter Champions" if needed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uroboros posted:

This is kind of my rationale for it, it also adds a bit more strategy to game where jinking can really make certain models a nightmare to put down. This is no more silly than with bikes and FMCs who can jink and then still assault you, which is kind of silly since they have just spent all their time trying to avoid being shot.

Yeah, after painting so many models with a lighter shade I finally was swayed by the way they are painted in the Ultramarines painting guide. They just look more "serious" about their job. Of course this leaves a lot of work to do, with some models likely to never be repainted, but since I am going to rebase my entire army it gives me some incentive to do some more customizing. For example I plan on putting the small number transfer for squad markings on knee pads, and I will likely remove the banners from my first sergeants, because they honestly look like poo poo.

The guy is actually just meant to be customizable. I magnetized the left arm and head, so he can be a "Champion, Sergeant, Special Weapon dude" or whatever else is available to bikes. I hadn't really even had the intention of making him a Champion, I just had picked up the Ultramarine customization kit, and really wanted to paint one of those nifty helmets. Also, a Company Champion can't take a powerfist anyway, but I plan on magnetizing a couple heads of my next batch of Suzerain Invictus, so they can me "Chapter Champions" if needed.

My favorite rule :wtf: thing is where FMCs can gain a cover save without jinking just because they have a toe in the terrain (ruins).

I always stare across a table with the "you rear end in a top hat" look everytime it happens.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Boon posted:

My favorite rule :wtf: thing is where FMCs can gain a cover save without jinking just because they have a toe in the terrain (ruins).

I always stare across a table with the "you rear end in a top hat" look everytime it happens.

The guy at my local gamestore actually makes people treat MCs as walkers/vehicles when it comes to cover saves at tournaments, because in his words "that's bullshit".

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Boon posted:

I don't quite understand how this "make sense." Its not like units yell out who they are aiming at before they shoot to inform them they getting shot and should prepare for it. The Jink rule to me is one which describes how you units react to coming under fire, are they being as evasive as possible to avoid being hit at the expense of not being able to aim well, then they are jinking. That being said the rules are an abstraction and don't need to make "sense" to a context of real war. Why I think the rules as written are strange is that it seems strange to give the shooter a benefit against a unit they aren't aiming at over one they are.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I have carefully considered it and concluded that: I'm gay

Same

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks guys. I've been painting some Ultramarines for a buddy and playing Dark Crusade and got the urge to play the actual miniature 40K again, thanks for reminding me not to. Seriously, what the gently caress was I thinking?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I don't quite understand how this "make sense." Its not like units yell out who they are aiming at before they shoot to inform them they getting shot and should prepare for it. The Jink rule to me is one which describes how you units react to coming under fire, are they being as evasive as possible to avoid being hit at the expense of not being able to aim well, then they are jinking. That being said the rules are an abstraction and don't need to make "sense" to a context of real war. Why I think the rules as written are strange is that it seems strange to give the shooter a benefit against a unit they aren't aiming at over one they are.

I think of it in the context of a fire control radar. You know when you're being hit by one of those because it's a loving huge amount of RF energy being directed at you. It's also a very focused beam.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

But the real reason I came in this thread was to share this helpful reminder from eBay:

I'm happy to report that I have carefully considered it and concluded that: its gay

Funny, I sent this to Hixson a few days ago:

His response was a link to gotse

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So you don't think its weird that the rules make it harder for plasma cannons to hit bikes they are aiming at than ones they are not aiming at?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So you don't think its weird that the rules make it harder for plasma cannons to hit bikes they are aiming at than ones they are not aiming at?

All sorts of weird things happen in the game. Dems da rules.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Yea I wouldn't argue with someone if they wanted to play strict rules as written, but it confuses me to hear that this rule makes sense to people.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Pyronic posted:

I'm just getting into the wangz, got a TFA core set and the Slave-1, but I wanna build Scum and my LGS can't get Most Wanted in stock :(

They will probably have a few boxes of Age of Sigmar instead though.

I picked up my copy of the TFA starter today, and there was only 1 left on the shelf.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, having not played since 5th edition;

If I were to get back in, with the new psyker phase, is it worth using an inquisitor for my IG? I'm not sure how much difference a single level 1 psyker would make. I like the servo skulls though, and was going to bring one for those if I start playing again.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Inquisitors own for Guard, especially Coteaz, who is a neat way to get a level 2 Psyker for your dudes. Getting the 4+ invulnerable save power is loving nanners.

BULBASAUR posted:

His response was a link to gotse

goatse is old news now, you gotta send him the flat rear end.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My thought was to just stick an ordo malleus inquisitor into a full combined platoon of 50 guardsmen, giving them all Stubborn and rolling Divination, and taking a load of servo skulls. My current inquisitor is in terminator armor, but that's just because I have a terminator librarian model. Wouldn't be difficult to just get a different model and save the 40 points. Or find the points to give him a psycannon, since that seems like it'd be pretty legit fire support to go with the 5 autocannons. Though with prescience, maybe I should give them missile launchers or lascannons and give the autocannons to my heavy weapon squads.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 25, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The FMCs in ruins thing makes sense because they're moving fast and can quickly weave in behind the ruins or whatever when they need to.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Ordo Hereticus inquisitors can give a blob BS10 against all units with a psyker. Kind of a fun trick.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Destroyer Lord Necranis of the Sekhmethah dynasty is ready to gently caress poo poo up.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So, do any of you guys know where I could get some Epic scale warhound titans?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ZachAttack posted:

This thread is now an x-wing thread.

You mean this thread!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Christ I've just spent about 10 hours fully magnetizing 10 Justaerin Terminators a couple Contemptors, and 10 Reavers and building a shitload of special characters. My back is broken and so am I. On the positive side I only lost one of the topknots!

panascope fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

chutche2 posted:

So, do any of you guys know where I could get some Epic scale warhound titans?

How big would that be?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

6mm

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

boom boom boom posted:

How big would that be?

They're about two inches tall.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

My thought was to just stick an ordo malleus inquisitor into a full combined platoon of 50 guardsmen, giving them all Stubborn and rolling Divination, and taking a load of servo skulls. My current inquisitor is in terminator armor, but that's just because I have a terminator librarian model. Wouldn't be difficult to just get a different model and save the 40 points. Or find the points to give him a psycannon, since that seems like it'd be pretty legit fire support to go with the 5 autocannons. Though with prescience, maybe I should give them missile launchers or lascannons and give the autocannons to my heavy weapon squads.

I wouldn't recommend heavy weapon squads at all, they're just ridiculously expensive guardsmen. Go with autocannons in the big mess of guys and make sure you take a priest too: Zealot is way better than stubborn.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

I wouldn't recommend heavy weapon squads at all, they're just ridiculously expensive guardsmen. Go with autocannons in the big mess of guys and make sure you take a priest too: Zealot is way better than stubborn.

Doesn't Zealot stop them from shooting heavy weapons, and mean they can't go to ground?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Nah, just gives them fearless and crusader now. They cant go to ground though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Oh, right. The heavy weapons thing was in the 4e codex. I mainly played with that one, only played with the 5e one for a bit before I stopped.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

But doesn't it require a very specific sequence of random things to happen first? It's not easier overall, just at that specific step.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
In my case there were three different bike units next to each other, and a Leman Russ was shooting at them with a battle cannon. The large blast template could target one unit of bikes and have models from another unit under the plate. In the game before that it was some Riptide weapon that brought up this issue.

It is common enough to have units closes enough that they could both be under a template. All you need to have is a decent number of bikes, jetbikes, or skimmers for this to come up.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So after doing my reaserch, I'm considering slowly over the next few month going the whole hog and making a War Convocation. This is what I was thinking of:

+++ War Convocation (1850pts) +++

++ Cult Mechanicus: Codex (2015) (Adeptus Mechanicus War Convocation) ++

++ Imperial Knights: Codex (2015) (Imperial Knights part) (425pts) ++

+ Lord of War (425pts) +

War Convocation Knight Crusader (425pts) [Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Thermal Cannon]

++ Skitarii: Codex (2015) (Skitarii part) (700pts) ++

+ Formation (700pts) +

War Convocation Battle Maniple (700pts)
··Onager Dunecrawlers (90pts) [Broad spectrum data-tether, Emanatus force field, Searchlight]
····Onager Dunecrawler (90pts) [Cognis heavy stubber, Cognis manipulator, Mindscanner probe, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, Smoke launchers]
··Sicarian Infiltrators (185pts) [Sicarian Battle Armour, 4x Sicarian Infiltrator (140pts), Stubcarbines and Power Swords]
····Infiltrator Princeps (45pts) [Conversion field, Phosphoenix]
··Sicarian Ruststalkers (160pts) [Sicarian Battle Armour, 4x Sicarian Ruststalker (120pts), Transonic razor, Chordclaw, and Mindscrambler Grenades]
····Ruststalker Princeps (40pts) [Conversion field]
··Skitarii Rangers (120pts) [Galvanic rifle, Omnispex, 9x Skitarii Ranger (99pts), Skitarii war plate, 3x Transuranic arquebus]
····Ranger Alpha (21pts) [Conversion field, Galvanic rifle, Skitarii war plate, The Skull of Elder Nikola]
··Skitarii Vanguard (100pts) [Omnispex, 3x Plasma caliver, Radium carbine, 9x Skitarii Vanguard (81pts), Skitarii war plate]
····Vanguard Alpha (19pts) [Conversion field, Pater Radium, Radium carbine, Skitarii war plate]
··Sydonian Dragoons (45pts) [Broad spectrum data-tether, Searchlight]
····Sydonian Dragoon (45pts) [Phosphor serpenta, Taser lance]

++ Cult Mechanicus: Codex (2015) (Cult Mechanicus part) (725pts) ++

+ HQ (105pts) +

War Convocation Tech-Priest Dominus (105pts) [Artificer armour, Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land, Digital weapons, Erradication ray, Macrostubber, Mechadendrite harness, Power axe, Refractor field, Scryerskull]

+ Troops (330pts) +

War Convocation Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]
··Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Heavy grav-cannon, Phosphor blaster]

War Convocation Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]
··Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Phosphor blaster, Plasma culverin]

+ Heavy Support (290pts) +

War Convocation Kastelan Robot Maniple (290pts)
··Cybernetica Datasmith (50pts) [Anzion’s Pseudogenetor, Artificer armour, Conversion field, Dataspike, Digital weapons, Gamma pistol, Infoslave Skull, Power fist]
··Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
··Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]

I know for some, the Arquebus's on the Rangers are ech, but I really like the model and thing it would work well for the army. I went fully heavy weapons on the Crusader for extra anti-vehicle and wide range support and loaded the Dune Crawler for bear. If I had 10 extra points I could go from dragoon to Ironstriker though.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hmm, hmm, yes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

chutche2 posted:

Doesn't Zealot stop them from shooting heavy weapons, and mean they can't go to ground?

Going to ground is for loving cowards.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
edit: I'm retarded!

Got a game in with my Dimachaeron finally, will try to add pictures later.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So after doing my reaserch, I'm considering slowly over the next few month going the whole hog and making a War Convocation. This is what I was thinking of:

Translate that battlescribe vomit, it's impossible to read.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hmm, hmm, yes.

What does that even mean? Did he put it up for sale again, or is it just ebay being dumb? "Hey this auction was canceled, OR WAS IT? Wanna check?"

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Translate that battlescribe vomit, it's impossible to read.

Ah crap, sorry about that, I posed at like 2 in the morning, here's the cleaned up version:

War Convocation (1850pts)

Points by group:

Imperial Knights (425pts)
Skitarii (700pts)
AdMech (725pts)

Knight Oathsworn Unit (425 Points)

Knight Crusader (425pts)
Gear: [Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Thermal Cannon]

Skitarii Battle Maniple (700pts)

1x Onager Dunecrawler (90pts)-
Gear: [Broad spectrum data-tether, Emanatus force field, Searchlight]
Weapons: [Cognis heavy stubber, Cognis manipulator, Mindscanner probe, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, Smoke launchers]

Sicarian Infiltrators (185pts)-
4x Sicarian Infiltrator (140pts) [Sicarian Battle Armour, Stubcarbines and Power Swords]
1X Infiltrator Princeps (45pts) [Conversion field, Phosphoenix]

Sicarian Ruststalkers (160pts)-
4x Sicarian Ruststalker (120pts)[Sicarian Battle Armour, Transonic razor, Chordclaw, and Mindscrambler Grenades]
1x Ruststalker Princeps (40pts) [Conversion field]

Skitarii Ranger Squad (120pts)-
9x Skitarii Ranger (99pts) [Galvanic rifle, Omnispex,, Skitarii war plate, 3x Transuranic arquebus]
1x Ranger Alpha (21pts) [Conversion field, Galvanic rifle, Skitarii war plate, The Skull of Elder Nikola]

Skitarii Vanguard squad: (100pts)-

9x Skitarii Vanguard (81pts)- [Omnispex, 3x Plasma caliver, Radium carbine, Skitarii war plate]
1x Vanguard Alpha-Vanguard Alpha (19pts) [Conversion field, Pater Radium, Radium carbine, Skitarii war plate]

1x Sydonian Dragoons (45pts)
Gear: [Broad spectrum data-tether, Searchlight]
Weapons [Phosphor serpenta, Taser lance]

Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation (725 Points)

HQ (105pts)

1x Tech-Priest Dominus (105pts)
Gear: [Artificer armour, Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land, Digital weapons, Erradication ray, Macrostubber, Mechadendrite harness, Power axe, Refractor field, Scryerskull]

Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]

Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Heavy grav-cannon, Phosphor blaster]

Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]

Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Phosphor blaster, Plasma culverin]

Kastelan Robot Maniple (290pts)

Cybernetica Datasmith (50pts) [Anzion’s Pseudogenetor, Artificer armour, Conversion field, Dataspike, Digital weapons, Gamma pistol, Infoslave Skull, Power fist]
Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]

I know for some, the Arquebus's on the Rangers are ech, but I really like the model and thing it would work well for the army. I went fully heavy weapons on the Crusader for extra anti-vehicle and wide range support and loaded the Dune Crawler for bear. If I had 10 extra points I could go from dragoon to Ironstriker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulfucker posted:

edit: I'm retarded!

Got a game in with my Dimachaeron finally, will try to add pictures later.

I've only had one game with my Dimachaeron, but it almost went through half a necron army. I can't wait to paint it up.

• Locked thread