Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I will say I vastly prefer to be handled this way when I call vendors.

We sit in the same 4 person room so it feels like an absurdity. They also mess it up every time because of delays in the voip system setting up the conference. The caller ends up hearing "-wse on the line, are you still there? Ok go ahead mewse"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

We sit in the same 4 person room so it feels like an absurdity. They also mess it up every time because of delays in the voip system setting up the conference. The caller ends up hearing "-wse on the line, are you still there? Ok go ahead mewse"

Oh, yeah, if the hold times aren't "From 15 minutes until the heat death of the universe" it's stupid.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Protip:

If you are hosting a teleconference for 90+ attendees, don't choose a service that announces when each individual caller enters or leaves the teleconference.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

A must have for every Outlook user.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I really want someone to look at my email, I mark it as low importance.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

evol262 posted:

In addition to what the previous posters said, you also have no idea what that's gonna do from a system level, the files are completely uncontrolled (by a package manager), there's no way to uninstall it, it almost certainly just rams whatever dependencies in through pip/gem/etc instead of checking whether they're there from debs/RPMs, etc.

It's 2015. FPM exists. Even if you don't wanna maintain a RPM/Deb spec and a copr/ppa, there's not a good reason not to have real packages.

It's plain lazy in a million ways, and bad practice.

You've completely missed my point so many times. I don't know if you're being purposefully obtuse, have terrible reading comprehension, or just dislike a username on a forum so much that you can't respond in any real way, and I don't care. I'm literally expression my opinion.

The comment about spergs was about the users on this forum being unable to have an actual conversation about anything based on opinions. Your ridiculous "reduce everything said to some kind of absolute statement that I can disprove so we can go back to throwaway comments about how much memory we have or how much larchesandrew's job sucks" is kind of a symptom of that.

There are a bunch of people on these forums who work at interesting places and have had interesting careers. But any attempt to actually, I dunno, talk about poo poo in the general threads gets shut down.

Yes and no. I'm not gonna quote myself, but I also install debugging tools on problem servers, then kill it (if it's not a customer server), but that's not the point.

Ok, so this is kind of it.

My opinion is an opinion.

I'm gonna make an analogy here based on an assumption. You don''t need to respond and tell me "no, I didn't use IrvanView, you're the one who's :spergin:!"

Remember when you started getting into computers 10 years ago, and somebody you know built their own, so you built yours? Then you'd see all these screenshots with Rainlendar and you had to have it? And IrfanView was so much better. And Explorer++ was an obvious comfort tool? And... (add 10 other things)

Then every time your hard drive died (because it was 2005, and that happened more often then), you installed less? Or maybe you started working professionally before that happened, and you stopped doing much because you were gonna be on who knows how many servers or you didn't have permissions? So you probably got used to the defaults, and they're not as bad as you thought they were. Like, they're good enough to get everything done. And you're probably as productive as you were when you still had all that poo poo installed, because you have more experience know and you know more hotkeys, or whatever? So now you just install the actual tools you need (process explorer, whatever) to debug problems instead of explorer++, even though explorer++ was/is a quick install with no downside?

It's pretty much that. Running a single command that takes 15 seconds isn't the end of the world. It's just that, in the same way you don't do stuff to your Windows servers, and that's probably carried over to your windows workstation, the more time I spent on various Linux/UNIX servers, the more I got used to the defaults, and now I hardly install anything on my workstation. Obviously there are development tools and stuff I need for my job, but I look at stuff like gently caress and I think: is this that much better than "sudo !!" or "Ctrl+d Alt+b Alt+d ..." (for git or other stuff)?

Most of the time I say "no". Sometimes I say yes. ipython is indispensible, and I get away without it (painfully) on real servers. I totally get wanting convenience stuff to make it nicer. I just wonder at the people who "need" ohmyzsh/gently caress/prelude/whatever that's basically the equivalent to "needing" Explorer++ or LiteStep.

I wonder, out loud, because I recognize that I am not the only person on Earth, and my opinions aren't universal. I wonder, out loud, because there are a lot of other talented people on this forum, and maybe one of them will chime in about whether they got used to defaults after a while and stopped feeling the "need" for other stuff.

I kept posting to reiterate that point instead of saying "you're right, regulated industries aren't the same as startups!" Because that's loving obvious. And it wasn't what I was getting at at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

Do other people with a decade of experience feel like they "need" stuff to make them feel comfortable on default installs?

dude straight up coming to the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread to start a fight

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was helping someone figure out where some missing emails went, so I was at her desk with her. While skimming through her inbox, I found two older emails from me and my coworker that were marked unread, both crucially important to using services for her job. They were the only two unread emails in her inbox.

I just assume that people outside the IT dept aren't going to read what I send them anyways.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

dude straight up coming to the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread to start a fight

That post was probably the worst possible way to prove that you're not the :spergin: in the argument.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was helping someone figure out where some missing emails went, so I was at her desk with her. While skimming through her inbox, I found two older emails from me and my coworker that were marked unread, both crucially important to using services for her job. They were the only two unread emails in her inbox.

I just assume that people outside the IT dept aren't going to read what I send them anyways.

Man, I'd almost be tempted to mark someone's mail unread like that intentionally if I knew they were going to be looking at my inbox.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

They also might have been marked unread purposefully so that she could find them quickly for reference.... maybe... hopefully? Obviously the easy thing would be to move them to an appropriately named folder.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MF_James posted:

They also might have been marked unread purposefully so that she could find them quickly for reference.... maybe... hopefully? Obviously the easy thing would be to move them to an appropriately named folder.

I have done that before, I get an email that's really important and I am just not mentally prepared to handle it at the time so I mark it unread.

Nowadays I just use the little flag button.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

spog posted:

Protip:

If you are hosting a teleconference for 90+ attendees, don't choose a service that announces when each individual caller enters or leaves the teleconference.

Things that piss me off,

Leaving the chat in enabled during a conference call.

I joined one earlier discussing a few pressing issues, we went over one, came up with a solution. Some people didn't like the result but upper-management chimed in, told them sorry but that's life and we need to move on to the next problem.

We start going over something else but a few people start talking in the group chat how the solution sucks and hijack the entire meeting.

Everyone is getting pissed, we re-review the same issue, come up with the exact same unsatisfactorily solution, an hour meeting turns into 2 1/2 hours and we don't get to discuss anything else.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

well gently caress you learn something new every day

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Rhymenoserous posted:

My Zones guy was also a Matt. The obvious answer is to kill all Matts.

Did he sound like a fratboy motherfucker you want to reach through the phone and punch him in his goddamn sandals?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Inspector_666 posted:

That post was probably the worst possible way to prove that you're not the :spergin: in the argument.

Never, ever what I'm trying to do.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
not really technical but my coworker clips his fingernails at his desk like two times a week

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

spog posted:

I feel that this is a company where the boss puts cameras in the bathrooms and doesn't understand why it might be an issue.

It's a heck of a story, thanks for sharing.

The company was only a handful of people. The floor bathroom was down the hall but one time he tried to have a urinal installed in our office so we could just pee there.

Another anecdote. We all had a company cell phone. At the time I was really poor so I just used the company phone as my only phone, which wasn't a big deal. I had an old Blackberry, and I wanted an iPhone. I asked the boss if I could get an iPhone since my line was up for renewal in a few weeks. He told me no, he didn't want to spend the money on iPhones. A couple days later I went away on a trip and when I came back, everyone had iPhones. He renewed everyone's contracts and bought the other four people iPhones, except me. I called ATT and found out he had renewed my line too, and he had just given my iPhone to his kid.

I asked him what happened, and he told me that he knew I was unhappy with this job, he figured he didn't want to invest in me, and that unless i started acting happier he'd continue to limit further investment in training and other perks. It was a really weird conversation, especially since I had just come back from working over the weekend for 48 hours at an out of town client.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

deep impact on vhs posted:

well gently caress you learn something new every day

How? HOW? Not to get all :spergin: but that was like, one of the first shortcuts I learned way back in the day.

not really technical but my coworker clips his fingernails at his desk like two times a week

gently caress that guy, I hope he clips his aorta.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The company was only a handful of people. The floor bathroom was down the hall but one time he tried to have a urinal installed in our office so we could just pee there.

Another anecdote. We all had a company cell phone. At the time I was really poor so I just used the company phone as my only phone, which wasn't a big deal. I had an old Blackberry, and I wanted an iPhone. I asked the boss if I could get an iPhone since my line was up for renewal in a few weeks. He told me no, he didn't want to spend the money on iPhones. A couple days later I went away on a trip and when I came back, everyone had iPhones. He renewed everyone's contracts and bought the other four people iPhones, except me. I called ATT and found out he had renewed my line too, and he had just given my iPhone to his kid.

I asked him what happened, and he told me that he knew I was unhappy with this job, he figured he didn't want to invest in me, and that unless i started acting happier he'd continue to limit further investment in training and other perks. It was a really weird conversation, especially since I had just come back from working over the weekend for 48 hours at an out of town client.

Are you some kind of bad job magnet, or did you just have one, super rear end in a top hat for a boss that kept spawning story after story?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Do that at home gently caress. Unless it's an emergency. And by emergency I mean you dropped something heavy on your hand and your bleeding, the nail is hanging and causing pain.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

gently caress that guy, I hope he clips his aorta.

How are you clipping fingernails?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just do what everyone else does and clip your nails while driving or on the bus.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Skandranon posted:

Are you some kind of bad job magnet, or did you just have one, super rear end in a top hat for a boss that kept spawning story after story?

It just one boss. I was there for six years and it was no end of stories. I quit for a different job, the one that gave me the promotion and then say "whoops" but i was only at that job for a year, and I only took it to escape the previous job. I've had a good job since then, and still continue to have it and love it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

captkirk posted:

How are you clipping fingernails?

At home like a regular human being?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's me, I'm the monster that clips my finger nails in his cube. I will accept any punishment deemed appropriate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's the way that a lot of employers seem to think they will resolve issues where their staff are unhappy in the role.

I guess having their employees walk is technically a resolution, but still.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

At home like a regular human being?

I'm just not sure how one could end up clipping your aorta.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thanks Ants posted:

That's the way that a lot of employers seem to think they will resolve issues where their staff are unhappy in the role.

I guess having their employees walk is technically a resolution, but still.

Yeah, it was really a weird conversation. I've always been very good at my job, and I didn't really go around pissing and moaning. I just had a new baby and I was really having a rough time from not sleeping and working so much. I have no idea why he was like that.

My direct manager at that job was a nut too. I'd travel maybe one or two times a month to a client site, and he'd refuse to pay for a car to the airport. He tell me to just have my wife drive me. Yes, I'll have my pregnant wife/wife with new baby/wife with one year old wake up at 4am to drive me to JFK airport (even though I live closer to Newark because the flight from JFK was $50 cheaper), and then drive back the next morning at 8am to pick me when I return the following day to be back at work the next morning.

I got into a huge fight about it, just get me a stupid car.

No, just have your wife drive you.

No, man, how about your wife gets up at 4am and drives me, atleast she doesn't have a new born baby we have to pack in to the car and drive in the middle of winter.

Another time I had to move data centers. Our hand truck had broken, so I asked if I can buy a new one. I had broken a few of them, since they buy the cheapest ones, and they can't hand the weight of a couple servers. I had left maybe three or four at clients too in the seven years I worked there. Typically because I'd work over the entire weekend, and after 40 hours of straight rack building and cabling I'd forget a couple thinks behind, like $25 hand trucks, and the boss was so pissed he refused to buy a new one. So I had to move about 20 1u servers and a pile of switches and routers out of the tenth floor in a data center in downtown Newark into my car, drive them to Pennsylvania and install them in our new DC overnight, carrying them one at a time by hand...

I bought a stupid hand truck myself and just kept it.

I quit maybe four months later.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

So I had to move about 20 1u servers and a pile of switches and routers out of the tenth floor in a data center in downtown Newark into my car, drive them to Pennsylvania and install them in our new DC overnight, carrying them one at a time by hand...

When the one at my previous job went missing I used a chair instead. I put the servers on top of an office chair and just wheeled the drat thing outside. I wasn't about to carry a ton of heavy equipment to my car drive it 8 miles then unload it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I used a wheelchair for that once. We had to move in a couple SANs, handtruck at the site was missing, and there was a wheelchair in the server room.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

When the one at my previous job went missing I used a chair instead. I put the servers on top of an office chair and just wheeled the drat thing outside. I wasn't about to carry a ton of heavy equipment to my car drive it 8 miles then unload it.

The data center didn't have any rolling office chairs, I considered that, but give I had to roll in and out of two different elevators and across several changes in floor elevation, I really didn't want to take changes. I bought one of those flat furniture dolly's, stacked it all up, tied it with rope and wrangled it to my car. I still have the dolly and use it all the time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I used a wheelchair for that once. We had to move in a couple SANs, handtruck at the site was missing, and there was a wheelchair in the server room.

Well sell 'fat people walmart scooters' and have one with a big basket on it, works great for moving PC's

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god they're making me take the basic courses we give to all new hires.

THEY ARE TELLING ME HOW TO FILL OUT THE TO: and CC: FIELDS IN MY EMAIL

WHAT THE gently caress!!!???

Edit: There's some good stuff in here, like one slide that's basically "dont' just CC someone's boss for no reason, you'll look like a dick"

But then there's poo poo like HERE IS HOW TO USE THE CC FIELD

THIS THING IS TWENTY MINUTES LONG HELP

EDIT: Oh god the person recording this has 12k items in her deleted items folder and just said she sometimes stores things there she might want to get back later. THIS IS GOING OUT TO THE WHOLE COMPANY HAHAHAHAHA

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 25, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

Edit: There's some good stuff in here, like one slide that's basically "dont' just CC someone's boss for no reason, you'll look like a dick"

Wait, you are telling me not to CC my boss, and their boss, who then CC's their bosses, who CC the directors, until eventually you are on an email thread that includes the entire universe?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ConfusedUs posted:

EDIT: Oh god the person recording this has 12k items in her deleted items folder and just said she sometimes stores things there she might want to get back later. THIS IS GOING OUT TO THE WHOLE COMPANY HAHAHAHAHA

This is where your users are getting awful ideas.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ConfusedUs posted:

"Accidentally" lose her mailbox. Restore everything but the delete mail. You didn't need that anyways, that's why it was marked as deleted right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's twenty minutes of my life I can't get back. At least there wasn't some stupid quiz at the end.

One more gem popped up near the end:

With regards to using clear subject lines:
This (refers to spam message about a gym membership) has a clear concise subject! I know I can ignore it because I already have a gym membership, and I don't even live in Maine!

But this email from my boss, with the subject "Something awesome happened", did not have a clear subject. I had to open it before I realized I never had to read it at all. If my boss had listened to this training, he would feel ashamed.

I don't know if she's taking the piss or if she's just in IDGAF mode, but this is amazing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

With regards to using clear subject lines:
This (refers to spam message about a gym membership) has a clear concise subject! I know I can ignore it because I already have a gym membership, and I don't even live in Maine!

But this email from my boss, with the subject "Something awesome happened", did not have a clear subject. I had to open it before I realized I never had to read it at all. If my boss had listened to this training, he would feel ashamed.

If I make a lovely subject line then my email will be read. :downs:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HardDisk posted:

If I make a lovely subject line then my email will be read. :downs:

"One easy trick to make the internet faster (IT hates this!)"

"Are you being promoted?"

"The 7 things you could be doing to improve your performance in the workplace (but probably aren't)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evol262 posted:

Remember when you started getting into computers 10 years ago, and somebody you know built their own, so you built yours? Then you'd see all these screenshots with Rainlendar and you had to have it? And IrfanView was so much better. And Explorer++ was an obvious comfort tool? And... (add 10 other things)

Then every time your hard drive died (because it was 2005, and that happened more often then), you installed less? Or maybe you started working professionally before that happened, and you stopped doing much because you were gonna be on who knows how many servers or you didn't have permissions? So you probably got used to the defaults, and they're not as bad as you thought they were. Like, they're good enough to get everything done. And you're probably as productive as you were when you still had all that poo poo installed, because you have more experience know and you know more hotkeys, or whatever? So now you just install the actual tools you need (process explorer, whatever) to debug problems instead of explorer++, even though explorer++ was/is a quick install with no downside?

It's pretty much that. Running a single command that takes 15 seconds isn't the end of the world. It's just that, in the same way you don't do stuff to your Windows servers, and that's probably carried over to your windows workstation, the more time I spent on various Linux/UNIX servers, the more I got used to the defaults, and now I hardly install anything on my workstation. Obviously there are development tools and stuff I need for my job, but I look at stuff like gently caress and I think: is this that much better than "sudo !!" or "Ctrl+d Alt+b Alt+d ..." (for git or other stuff)?

Most of the time I say "no". Sometimes I say yes. ipython is indispensible, and I get away without it (painfully) on real servers. I totally get wanting convenience stuff to make it nicer. I just wonder at the people who "need" ohmyzsh/gently caress/prelude/whatever that's basically the equivalent to "needing" Explorer++ or LiteStep.

I wonder, out loud, because I recognize that I am not the only person on Earth, and my opinions aren't universal. I wonder, out loud, because there are a lot of other talented people on this forum, and maybe one of them will chime in about whether they got used to defaults after a while and stopped feeling the "need" for other stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

Do other people with a decade of experience feel like they "need" stuff to make them feel comfortable on default installs?

So I'm going to help Barry out here (I've forgotten why but I think your name is Barry?) even though that one time I mentioned KVM you told me I had no loving clue what I was talking about and made me feel all :smith:. (Never mind the part where you were probably correct that has no bearing here).

I absolutely 100% agree with you on this, especially on the personal side of things. I used to rice out my computer. Total Commander or whatever the Explorer replacement was, all the keyboard shortcuts, Launchy, every single app that would improve my efficiency blah blah.

Then yeah, as I reinstalled for the 20th time, or upgraded, or installed on another machine because now I had multiple machines, it became less and less important to take the time to install these things, and I discovered that well I really could get along without them.

There's still a couple I sort of insist on - basically 7-Zip and Notepad++. But these days I'll just click over to Ninite, select Chrome/Putty/7-Zip/Notepad++ and maybe Classic Shell, and that's it. And that's on the desktop side - Windows server-side except for maybe Notepad++ I pretty much don't touch it.

Hell, when I was young I used to create subfolders for categories of apps in Program Files. Program Files\Communications, Program Files\Media, Program Files\Utility, etc. etc. - then I became not 12 anymore and realized who the gently caress had time for that (and why the gently caress would it matter - I'm not exploring through Program Files often trying to get to things. Even mild OCD's a hell of a thing).

So yeah, while I wouldn't necessarily go as hardcore against people doing that as you seem to, I absolutely don't find it efficient in the long run, because I'm not about to install it on every server I manage and if it's not on every server I can't depend on it being there. I've added some things (like Notepad++) to server VM templates, but that's the extent that I go, because getting away from the defaults ultimately makes things less consistent, and consistency is the shining goal at the end of every goddamn IT worker's dream.

So no, I don't feel like I "need" things to be comfortable with the defaults. Other than Server 2012 RTM. gently caress that noise and its defaults. (Server 2008 too for that matter, you can loving cancel/allow my balls).