Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Not Logged In is an ongoing issue unfortunately! Hopefully people aren't actually getting logged out anymore though, and closing the app (swiping it away) and reopening it should be enough to get it working immediately instead of waiting for a minute. Unless the forum is having problems, not much you can do about that

Nope, i get periods of up to two hours where Awful has me 'not logged in'. I'll log in, and then be unable to refresh anything before being dumped back to the Login screen.

And "Loading Failed" on almost every single page load. But thats just normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm not getting an error that says I'm not connect in the Awful app but when I tried the Something app it loads fine (gen. 1 nexus 7)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the last day or two, the app has felt really slow. I'm seeing the spinning loading indicator a lot longer than I used to. For instance, it took over 20 seconds to load this thread on my wifi, which is showing at least 40 Mbps using the speedtest app. I've tried rebooting my phone which didn't fix anything. I'm going to try clearing the app data and then I'll report back, but I thought maybe someone would know what's going on anyway?

Edit: it seems maybe a little better? However, I tried to load the Stupid/Small Questions thread and got all white instead if any content. Still had the top and bottom bars, though. Thus thread loaded fine.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 25, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hooah posted:

For the last day or two, the app has felt really slow. I'm seeing the spinning loading indicator a lot longer than I used to. For instance, it took over 20 seconds to load this thread on my wifi, which is showing at least 40 Mbps using the speedtest app. I've tried rebooting my phone which didn't fix anything. I'm going to try clearing the app data and then I'll report back, but I thought maybe someone would know what's going on anyway?

Edit: it seems maybe a little better? However, I tried to load the Stupid/Small Questions thread and got all white instead if any content. Still had the top and bottom bars, though. Thus thread loaded fine.

The forum is running super slow at the moment; I am seeing long loading times regardless of device or connection.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Midjack posted:

The forum is running super slow at the moment; I am seeing long loading times regardless of device or connection.

They replaced the servers with empty cereal boxes. Cost cutting measures, you see. They also replaced the admins with finger puppets.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah things are definitely faster this morning. I didn't browse on a computer much, so I guess I didn't notice the overall slowness.

Now, however, I'm plagued by the "not logged in" error every few threads :(. It was a nice fee months without that!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
For anyone who gets the Not Logged In error, do you also have Something installed?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I don't know what the hell is going on with awful, but it's using an insane amount of data. It's using around 150-250mb per DAY, and absolutely destroying my data plan. I've already gone over my limit and being hit with charges, and it's still going.

What the hell is going on with it? I only browse a few threads on my phone, and none of them are image heavy. Awful constantly says "loading failed!", could that be causing it?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

They replaced the servers with empty cereal boxes. Cost cutting measures, you see. They also replaced the admins with finger puppets.

There was some talk of insane GG redditors trying to "archive" the entire site while the paywall was down.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

There was some talk of insane GG redditors trying to "archive" the entire site while the paywall was down.

It wasn't talk, they think we're some organisation center for anti-GG and most of /r/KotakuInAction was "archiving" our content.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is that still going on...? I thought Sarkeesian made her movie, then cashed out. Are people still arguing about who slept with who?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is that still going on...? I thought Sarkeesian made her movie, then cashed out. Are people still arguing about who slept with who?

yep

something something ethics something something misandry

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

anthonypants posted:

For anyone who gets the Not Logged In error, do you also have Something installed?

I don't either. It only seems to pop up after going through half dozen pages and/or threads, or if I try to post.

Using a Nexus 6 (rooted, straight from Google)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You're dealing with extremely pathetic shut in gamers who are desperately clutching at any straw to view as a perceived slight. This helps them justify their myriad failures in life as somebody else's fault.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

notZaar posted:

You're dealing with extremely pathetic shut in gamers who are desperately clutching at any straw to view as a perceived slight. This helps them justify their myriad failures in life as somebody else's fault.
Those extremely pathetic shut-in gamers now includes Derek Smart, and I only wish I could make something like that up

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
can any of you assholes shut up about gamergate for two seconds

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lazlow posted:

I don't either. It only seems to pop up after going through half dozen pages and/or threads, or if I try to post.

Using a Nexus 6 (rooted, straight from Google)

Awful and Something are completely separate apps, they won't conflict with each other. The error's appearing because the forums are (at some point) throwing out a 'not logged in' response, I don't think there's anything a user can do to janitor it until the underlying cause is fixed

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I was just having a hell of a time using the app. I'd get logged out while a thread was loading. I could reply in the stupid/small questions thread, but got the logged out error trying to reply to the gifs thread.

Also, I backed up my settings, but the file was greyed out when I tried to restore the settings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Awful and Something are completely separate apps, they won't conflict with each other. The error's appearing because the forums are (at some point) throwing out a 'not logged in' response, I don't think there's anything a user can do to janitor it until the underlying cause is fixed

For what it's worth, I've never seen that error in Something.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When I get the not logged in error a couple times it happens in something too.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

If you get the "You are logged out" or whatever message, try closing the app (swiping Awful away on the app switcher) and reopening the app. For some reason the app sometimes doesn't send the login cookie with the request (and I guess the current forum situation isn't helping)

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth, I've never seen that error in Something.
The "burn it all down and start from scratch" approach Gaze used when creating Something is probably the way to go, especially wrt network stuff. Sooner or later Awful has to be completely re-written. I don't think we're very far from that point, the only really problem is :effort:

Speaking of which:
New development thread! I'm sure this one won't get archived (because that's currently broken :v:)

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I keep getting logged out. I've tried to reinstall but it didn't help

Oh other people have it too.

I can't check cause, well I'm getting logged out.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Slightly off topic, but since Awful use crashlytics, I figured it'd be worth an ask. Is there a way for non-devs to find and open crashlytics files?

A.. Friend.. Has constant issues with Tinder crashing and wants to troubleshoot it themselves,since Tinder support is basically the worst thing ever.

.. Says my friend.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ryanbruce posted:

Slightly off topic, but since Awful use crashlytics, I figured it'd be worth an ask. Is there a way for non-devs to find and open crashlytics files?

A.. Friend.. Has constant issues with Tinder crashing and wants to troubleshoot it themselves,since Tinder support is basically the worst thing ever.

.. Says my friend.

Fun fact: Goons are about the last people who care about whatever you're into. At least, goons from gray forums that still deserve to be gray. Claimed by BYOB/FYAD forums, maybe you're right to worry.

Just submit the report. Or, if you're really that worried about it, see if you can use web sites instead of apps for services whose apps break other apps; HTML5 is pretty slick these days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

.. Says my friend.

Your friend's phone is trying to save your friend from horrible STDs.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Fun fact: Goons are about the last people who care about whatever you're into. At least, goons from gray forums that still deserve to be gray. Claimed by BYOB/FYAD forums, maybe you're right to worry.

Just submit the report. Or, if you're really that worried about it, see if you can use web sites instead of apps for services whose apps break other apps; HTML5 is pretty slick these days.

Oh, I don't care if goons see my Crashlytics, I want to open Tinder's reports to see what's causing the crash in Tinder; I'm trying to get better at reading crash reports, etc.

fake edit: Er.. My "friend"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pretty sure their development team would have to give you access, which is probably a no!

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

baka kaba posted:

Pretty sure their development team would have to give you access, which is probably a no!

Ah drat. I was hoping they'd live on my local filesystem somewhere.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ryanbruce posted:

Ah drat. I was hoping they'd live on my local filesystem somewhere.

Well I mean, if you're interested in crash reports you could always install Logcat from the developer tools, or maybe some other viewer to look at the device logs. (I've always had it as part of the full developer tools so I don't know the details about downloading it separately)

Apps tend to log a bunch of information and errors, and if they actually crash you'll get a stack trace saying 'crash caused by this type of Exception' (the type of error that made the whole thing fall over) and then the chain of instructions that led to hitting it. That's probably not a lot of use to you, but that's mostly what Crashlytics uploads to a central server, so the devs can debug crashes on remote devices. So really if you want to poke into this, you just want to look at your device logs for that app

I mean it can be useful - I was deicing a freezer the other day and I had my phone flashlight going, a bit longer than I probably should, and then it went off. Tapping the icon didn't work, it said flashlight on for a second and then went off again. It was a bit warm so I left it to cool, but still nothing - I thought maybe the bulb had burned out, which would suck

Anyhoo I looked at the device logs when I had it plugged in and I saw a bunch of errors about the camera device being unavailable, and sure enough that wouldn't work, so I rebooted and it was all fine. So you can sometimes get useful info in there about things, y'know?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm rooted, so I can use OS monitor. It lets you filter your logcat by ProcessID which is pretty handy; just a bit tedious to do from my mobile.

I guess I'll just have to keep clearing logcat until I can get the app to crash. Snapchat crashes pretty drat often too, but their beta bug report/feedback system is pretty shite (flooded by idiots asking about filters and follow-backs)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Can't you filter by app name, like com.tinder or whatever? The log's a pain even with a half decent logging tool, plus the process ID will change when it crashes. You really want to filter by name, and ideally by level (like only Error level, maybe Warn, so everything lower that's spamming the log will be ignored)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I mean it can be useful - I was deicing a freezer the other day and I had my phone flashlight going, a bit longer than I probably should, and then it went off. Tapping the icon didn't work, it said flashlight on for a second and then went off again. It was a bit warm so I left it to cool, but still nothing - I thought maybe the bulb had burned out, which would suck

Anyhoo I looked at the device logs when I had it plugged in and I saw a bunch of errors about the camera device being unavailable, and sure enough that wouldn't work, so I rebooted and it was all fine. So you can sometimes get useful info in there about things, y'know?

This sounds a lot like the camera_daemon issue on the Nexus 5.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that's what I thought - never had it happen with the camera (and I thought they fixed it) but welp

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Wish I'd caught a screenshot. I had a thread with -2 new posts. Any simple explanation? Some weirdness with how the unread count is calculated when a post is marked as last read or something? Just curious :)

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

I accidentally chose 'always open in browser' after clicking on an imgur-hosted image and I do not see an easy way to undo that decision, short of uninstalling/reinstalling. Am I missing something obvious somewhere? I don't see anything relevant in the images settings page.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Settings -> Posts -> Always open links

Unless you did something that is just related to pics then idk

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I've gotten a few force-closes just now, at so-far random I guess? It might be memory related; one was in the space flight thread looking at a bunch of large photos, but another was just scrolling the bookmark list.

10-03 08:05:44.075 W/PackageManager(2217): Package com.ferg.awfulapp desires unavailable shared library com.sec.android.app.multiwindow; ignoring!

That's the only thing error-like logcat has.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
My login isn't taking right now. Is something down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's working for me :shrug: