Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Dr Tran posted:

I saw some site saying the price was high because it comes with a Continuum set up and a qi charger.

You can get a new brand new 32GB Unlocked iPhone 5s for $499, so I hope that Continuum and a QI charger are worth $236 to you. And before you tell me that isn't the latest iPhone, remember that new Windows 10 Mobile devices aren't just competing with the latest Apple & Android offerings, they're competing with ALL other Apple & Android offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

katkillad2 posted:

I have literally been subscribed since the beginning, this might be the straw that broke the camels back and I move on to android phones. Between how they handled the Xbox One and now this, it's like they don't want my money.

I cancelled my music pass last month before I found the Groove app. I couldn't listen to any of my music the other day when it finally cut off, and then it occurred to me how they're holding my entertainment ransom. I listen to, like, the same six or seven albums over and over and I've paid ten times the price of the albums in subscription fees.

I'm just downloading my poo poo from Amazon from now on.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Latest 10 build after a factory reset is pretty usable on my 925. Lots of fit-and-finish stuff still needing work though, and the lock screen is still really strangely slow.

Also desperately missing separated notifications for my different email accounts. Having them all share the outlook icon, notification noise, and action center heading is a ridiculously bad idea.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I cancelled my music pass last month before I found the Groove app. I couldn't listen to any of my music the other day when it finally cut off, and then it occurred to me how they're holding my entertainment ransom. I listen to, like, the same six or seven albums over and over and I've paid ten times the price of the albums in subscription fees.

I'm just downloading my poo poo from Amazon from now on.

Hahah, whaaat? Why would you subscribe to a streaming service for years (?) and listen to 6 or 7 albums?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

katkillad2 posted:

I have literally been subscribed since the beginning, this might be the straw that broke the camels back and I move on to android phones. Between how they handled the Xbox One and now this, it's like they don't want my money.

They've done a good job of turning around the Xbone, but not so much with the music service post Zune. :(

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

You can get a new brand new 32GB Unlocked iPhone 5s for $499, so I hope that Continuum and a QI charger are worth $236 to you. And before you tell me that isn't the latest iPhone, remember that new Windows 10 Mobile devices aren't just competing with the latest Apple & Android offerings, they're competing with ALL other Apple & Android offerings.

Don't underestimate the price difference between the US and Europe though, I wouldn't read a whole lot into those prices.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I tried to get my phone (640 XL, with an SD card in there) on WM10, but the update keeps failing with error code 0x80070002. The Internet has been unhelpful in regards to actually fixing the error, so instead I tried to cancel it and went so far as to remove myself from the Windows Insider program, but my phone keeps queuing the update anyway and trying to install it again and again, failing every time, and while it's doing that the phone is laggy and unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas how I can either fix the error or stop my phone from trying the update over and over?

Maneki Neko posted:

They've done a good job of turning around the Xbone, but not so much with the music service post Zune. :(

What have they done with the Xbone? I still have a Wii U and that's it so I don't know anything personally, but there's still an Xbone mock thread for some reason and people in general seem way more into the PS4.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Zarfol posted:

Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

That includes the 20% VAT so the final prices would be around 588 and 668. I'd expect US pricing to be around 550 and 650 off contract. Still high but somewhat reasonable if it includes a bundled Qi charger and continuum dock (rumored value of bundles is $200).

I get why they are doing this if this is true. They are trying to harp on continuum as the differentiation point. Similar to bundling Kinect with xbox to make people aware of that technology and drive up adoption.
Unfortunately that strategy worked miserably for xbox and I suspect might not work super well here.

Personally I think they'd be better off just selling it for $200 cheaper. 400 and 500 would be extremely compelling prices particularly compared to the Moto X.

That said, this is all conjecture based on an unreliable leak. Those websites not infrequently put up completely made up prices that a higher than what it will end up being for pre-orders.

I wouldn't loose hope yet but be prepared to loose hope on October 6th...

(although i'm enough of a sucker that i'll probably get the 950Xl on release day as long as its cheaper than iPhone 6s+ or galaxy note 5. Sticking with this sinking ship till it hits bottom I guess)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

So I tried to get my phone (640 XL, with an SD card in there) on WM10, but the update keeps failing with error code 0x80070002. The Internet has been unhelpful in regards to actually fixing the error, so instead I tried to cancel it and went so far as to remove myself from the Windows Insider program, but my phone keeps queuing the update anyway and trying to install it again and again, failing every time, and while it's doing that the phone is laggy and unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas how I can either fix the error or stop my phone from trying the update over and over?

What have they done with the Xbone? I still have a Wii U and that's it so I don't know anything personally, but there's still an Xbone mock thread for some reason and people in general seem way more into the PS4.

If you hard reset the phone it will have to be re-enrolled to update. Other than that I don't know off the top of my head on the updating. Normally most of the time it won't update due to lack of space, or it just being an rear end and needing a reboot.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

loquacius posted:

Eh, games subforum these days is not a good representation of reality, the Xbone threads are more circlejerks than anything.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Pretty happy with Windows 10 on my 640. Only issues I've had is pinning the people tile makes the start screen take 20-30 minutes to load randomly and every time after a restart. Plus Groove won't download anything. But no deal breakers.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Personally I think they'd be better off just selling it for $200 cheaper. 400 and 500 would be extremely compelling prices particularly compared to the Moto X.

Yeah, I think that would make far more sense. Let the really enthusiastic supporters buy the dock and charger, let people who just want a phone get the phone. Like you said, though, we'll see what ends up happening.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
I've been running latest build on my daily driver 930 and apart from some battery life issues it's usable.

Battery life issues seem to relate with background tasks, but if you disable background jobs for Store and Edge battery life is reasonable, bit not quite as good as with 8.1.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

ljw1004 posted:

PS. The guy on the background-audio team asked me "why are you using XAudio for audio playback – background or otherwise. Is there some functionality that isn’t offered by the MediaPlayer API that they want to use XAudio for?"

If any of you background-audio-playing folks want me to pass any answers back to him, let me know. Or if you'd like to be put in email contact with him, PM me.

Well, MediaPlayer isn't gapless, that I know of. And it doesn't support Apple Lossless, FLAC, WavPack, Ogg Opus, or a host of other formats not baked into the firmware. Like obscure sequenced formats (MIDI, modules), emulated sequenced formats, (console formats). Probably a lot of obscure poo poo, but still, if you want a player for it, don't you have to write your own and use XAudio?

Our project is doing its own decoding for this, including handling gapless tags for MP3 and MP4 AAC. And because Windows Phone 8 and apparently 10 don't like leaving a background app running if it isn't using MediaPlayer, we play a silence.wav on loop any time we're also playing audio through XAudio, just to keep the background app awake.

Oh, and for another note to the Windows Store submission documents. The part where it says that Insider email addresses allowed to install your app should be separated with semicolons should probably be in bold letters at the very top of the form or documentation. So far, our first build submitted and accepted at the store can be installed by nobody because the authorized email list is line-delimited, not semicolon-delimited.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I can't wait until they announce the phones then say they will be available Q2 2016.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I can't wait until they announce the phones then say they will be available Q2 2016.

Jeez, stop being so unrealistic... They new Lumia 550 will be available in Q2016. The 900s series "soon" after.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Jeez, stop being so unrealistic... They new Lumia 550 will be available in Q2016. The 900s series "soon" after.

The "affordable flagship" with poo poo specs for $400!!

Is sideloading android apps on Windows 10 going to actually be a thing or is just a proof of concept for the betas?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RVProfootballer posted:

Hahah, whaaat? Why would you subscribe to a streaming service for years (?) and listen to 6 or 7 albums?

:shrug:

I asked myself the same thing when I realized I was doing it.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Counter question: Why buy albums when you subscribe to a streaming service? It's quite an easy hole to fall into. I know I did. Back catalogue of Static-X at $10 per month 4 lyfe.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

Zarfol posted:

Is sideloading android apps on Windows 10 going to actually be a thing or is just a proof of concept for the betas?

AFAIK it was only for developers to encourage them to port their stuff over from Android and help debug. It was never meant for us filthy consumers.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 25, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whelp, I've had fun the past couple of years, but the courier just delivered my 6S plus, so I guess it's goodbye.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Funkface posted:

Counter question: Why buy albums when you subscribe to a streaming service? It's quite an easy hole to fall into. I know I did. Back catalogue of Static-X at $10 per month 4 lyfe.

I don't buy albums, because I do subscribe to a streaming service. However, if I only listened to 6-7 albums for years, I could do the simple arithmetic that 7 x $10-15 is much cheaper than 12 x $10 x n years :)

I do get that starting out, it might not be obvious. But I would think after the second or third month, I'd look at my recent music and be like, hmm, it makes a lot more sense to just buy these albums than keep paying every month!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 25, 2015

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lumia+950

:tipshat:

I wonder if these are based off of renderings, or if the phones are actually arriving sooner than later. Seems odd to have those for sale if the phones don't ship till 2016.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Anybody able to get custom ringtones onto Windows 10? I copied them into the Ringtones folder but they aren't appearing anywhere in the UI where I can customize the sounds. File explorer shows them on the phone & and they play fine, but not able to actually use them anywhere.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tivac posted:

Anybody able to get custom ringtones onto Windows 10? I copied them into the Ringtones folder but they aren't appearing anywhere in the UI where I can customize the sounds. File explorer shows them on the phone & and they play fine, but not able to actually use them anywhere.

I don't use Windows Phone anymore but I think you had to have them less than 30 seconds long and have the genre type set as ringtone, if I remember correctly.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Tivac posted:

I can't get them to show up either. Even with the apps that say they're for Windows 10 ringtones.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't use Windows Phone anymore but I think you had to have them less than 30 seconds long and have the genre type set as ringtone, if I remember correctly.

They're my ringtones from 8.1, so they already meet all those criteria.

.Tim posted:

I can't get them to show up either. Even with the apps that say they're for Windows 10 ringtones.

Probably just a bug in this build then, thanks!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Stubb Dogg posted:

I've been running latest build on my daily driver 930 and apart from some battery life issues it's usable.
Not so much here. Even the homescreen starts triggering resume screens not long after a reboot. Spotify's background task's getting killed more often than I'd like, if I do anything in Edge. Annoying as gently caress.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not so much here. Even the homescreen starts triggering resume screens not long after a reboot. Spotify's background task's getting killed more often than I'd like, if I do anything in Edge. Annoying as gently caress.

Is "Resuming..." still an issue? That's literally a trigger word for me after owning a 521.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I upgraded to as 640 after dropping my 635. It is night and day as far as resuming and loading is concerned on the latest Windows 10. Edge still gobbles memory like a hooker and closes. This app does too, but there is more RAM for it to play around in.

Lock screen is much better, and haven't had a start screen loading glitch yet.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.windowscentral.com/new-microsoft-lumia-950-and-lumia-950-xl-slides

The 950 will have Qi charging after all. :toot: Between that, the fact that the 950xl has the Snapdragon 810 (which is supposed to run hot if the Android thread is any indication :v:) and terrible volume button placement, I think the 950 is my next phone.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The 950 will have Qi charging after all. :toot:
That's great news! Wireless charging is the poo poo.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

You may remember me asking a few weeks back if it was worth getting the 640 over the 735: Well, I never got one because ~rl~ affected my available cash, but I can now afford to start a new contract and finally get off my goddamn 520 - is it worth getting one of the new W10 phones when they come out, or should I try and snap something like a 735 up cheap when the new ones come out and make the old ones cheaper? I'm leaning to the 735 over the 640 because of the better screen and personal design preference (I have small hands so anything bigger than the 5" of the 640 is really not an option).

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 640 is $79 at Walmart for ATT/Cricket, and t mob I think. Screen is fine? It is a little big sometimes trying to reach with one hand.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The 640 is cheap enough that I was able to buy one off-contract without feeling too bad about myself, but it'll probably get even cheaper if you wait until the new phones get announced. It is ridiculously large, though -- biggest phone I've ever had. I actually like it, but if your hands are small enough that it's a factor in phone choice maybe make sure it isn't too big first.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I can understand that someone finds the 640XL big, but the 640 is 5" and has the same size as my 925 (4.5") since it has better screen to body ratio.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I can understand that someone finds the 640XL big, but the 640 is 5" and has the same size as my 925 (4.5") since it has better screen to body ratio.

(ok yeah I forgot there was a non-XL version of the 640 :downs:)

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Partycat posted:

The 640 is $79 at Walmart for ATT/Cricket, and t mob I think. Screen is fine? It is a little big sometimes trying to reach with one hand.

Oh, I was referring to the fact that afai am aware, 640 has IPS whilst 735 has OLED screen (afai am aware because Nokia, Microsoft, and my carrier's website massively disagree over the phone's specs...)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't know what type it is, I never have bothered to look. It is miles ahead of the 635's screen in terms of brightness, clarity, and it has Glance.

It looks fine to me, though I don't know what your application is.

E: Based on appearance while using glance it is not oled.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So I finally managed to get the upgrade to work by moving basically all my apps to my SD card. Now I'm on WP10 but my SD card apparently got corrupted in the process. Welp v:v:v

e: nvm, I picked my phone up again and apparently it decided the card is fine now and can run apps off it and everything. Makes sense???

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 27, 2015