Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

If Bakugou finds out that Midoriya basically "cheated" and jumped the line to first place with All-Might's quirk he's going to end up blowing up half of Japan.

How in the world would it be cheating, when quirks are something you're 100% born with in the first place? Quirks have always been luck of the draw.

Also, I smiled as I reached the end of this chapter; this is going to be incredibly entertaining, and I hope they show how some of the other teachers (like Present Mic) fight with their quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, Tsuyu ended up placing rather high among the various grades; I knew Bakugou would be up there (he was a big fish in a small pond in every regard back at their old school, and was shown to know how to read from a really young age in their flashbacks), but not first. One more way he has to deal with not always being the best.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Going to put the classes grades in order just so it's easier to tell.

20th Denki Kaminari
19th Mina Ashido
18th ??
17th Hanta Sero
16th Tooru Hagakure
15th Eijirou Kirishima
14th Fumikage Tokoyami (he has surprisingly poor grades.)
13th Ochako Uraraka (Also surprisingly poor grades.)
12th Rikidou Satou
11th Kouji Kouda
10th ??
9th Minoru Mineta (surprisingly good grades)
8th Mashirao Ojiro
7th Kyouka Jiro
6th Tsuyu Asui
5th Shouto Todoroki
4th Izuku Midoriya (congrats on our protagonist for his good grades.)
3rd Katsuki Bakugou (Appears to actually be good at school work despite his temper and jock behavior.)
2nd Tenya Iida
1st Momo Yaoyorozu

We did not get the ranks for Mezou Shouji (Tentacole) and Yuuga Aoyama (Can't Stop Twinkling) I will assume however that Shouji is 10th and Aoyama is 18th.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

How in the world would it be cheating, when quirks are something you're 100% born with in the first place? Quirks have always been luck of the draw.

You just answered your own question.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
When will Can't Stop Twinkling undergo serious abdominal training to be able to fire his laser for minutes at a time

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DoubleDonut posted:

When will Can't Stop Twinkling undergo serious abdominal training to be able to fire his laser for minutes at a time
You'd think his support gear would be a weird focusing iris hooked into a fiberoptic gun so he could just shoot that thing anywhere without having to aim his stomach at it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going to put the classes grades in order just so it's easier to tell.

20th Denki Kaminari
19th Mina Ashido
18th ??
17th Hanta Sero
16th Tooru Hagakure
15th Eijirou Kirishima
14th Fumikage Tokoyami (he has surprisingly poor grades.)
13th Ochako Uraraka (Also surprisingly poor grades.)
12th Rikidou Satou
11th Kouji Kouda
10th ??
9th Minoru Mineta (surprisingly good grades)
8th Mashirao Ojiro
7th Kyouka Jiro
6th Tsuyu Asui
5th Shouto Todoroki
4th Izuku Midoriya (congrats on our protagonist for his good grades.)
3rd Katsuki Bakugou (Appears to actually be good at school work despite his temper and jock behavior.)
2nd Tenya Iida
1st Momo Yaoyorozu

We did not get the ranks for Mezou Shouji (Tentacole) and Yuuga Aoyama (Can't Stop Twinkling) I will assume however that Shouji is 10th and Aoyama is 18th.

Tokoyami's a bit surprising at first, but as he said, they've been so busy with hero stuff, so it makes sense that things slipped out of focus for some of them.

Fabricated posted:

You'd think his support gear would be a weird focusing iris hooked into a fiberoptic gun so he could just shoot that thing anywhere without having to aim his stomach at it

He is demonstrably not that bright (I agree that he's probably the one at 18th, grade-wise) and more concerned with his appearance than effectiveness/practicality. One of the other students who makes gear teaming up with him could in theory be great for him... Or it could end with them quitting when they can't deal with him any longer.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DoubleDonut posted:

They'd mistranslated that page the first time.
The actual downside to his power is that overuse gives him the runs. No way to fix that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

They'd mistranslated that page the first time.
The actual downside to his power is that overuse gives him the runs. No way to fix that.

A good low fiber/high fat diet should help. Just shitloads of dairy and meat with just barely enough vegetables to keep him healthy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You just answered your own question.

Isn't that more like the opposite of cheating, then?

Regarding tummy laser guy, do we know how strong the laser is? Like, will it burn a hole through a person? Because if so that doesn't sound very useful for being a hero.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding tummy laser guy, do we know how strong the laser is? Like, will it burn a hole through a person? Because if so that doesn't sound very useful for being a hero.

It's probably a laser in the same way that Cyclops shoots lasers out of his eyes. I.E. it's only a laser when it's convenient.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Right - it's a concussion beam, as evidenced by the fact that he can use the recoil from it for propulsion.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Kid got a quirk late in life in a way that should not exist aka cheated at inheriting it. A quirk, mind you, that is the most powerful one second to it's origin in the world. Not only did he get superpowers when he shouldn't have, he also got the best one. It's why All-Might doesn't want anybody going public about it since he'll fall out of public favour when they find out he isn't a "real" or "natural" hero.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Roland Jones posted:

Tokoyami's a bit surprising at first, but as he said, they've been so busy with hero stuff, so it makes sense that things slipped out of focus for some of them.
I dunno, I think there'd be some value in having a character like Fumikage who's perhaps wise and even-keeled but not exactly booksmart, if that makes sense.

This may be just an outsider's perspective, but test scores seem to count for a lot in Japan, so having a character who's smart and capable but tests poorly could be an interesting angle to pursue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kid got a quirk late in life in a way that should not exist aka cheated at inheriting it. A quirk, mind you, that is the most powerful one second to it's origin in the world. Not only did he get superpowers when he shouldn't have, he also got the best one. It's why All-Might doesn't want anybody going public about it since he'll fall out of public favour when they find out he isn't a "real" or "natural" hero.

I mean, yeah, people might think that it's cheating, but it still makes zero sense. When you say "when he shouldn't have" the use of "shouldn't" there makes no sense. A person being born with a quirk isn't randomly more deserving of it than a person who is given the quirk (especially when you take into account that aspects of quirks can be hereditary, so parents are often giving their quirks to their children, in a sense.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, yeah, people might think that it's cheating, but it still makes zero sense. When you say "when he shouldn't have" the use of "shouldn't" there makes no sense. A person being born with a quirk isn't randomly more deserving of it than a person who is given the quirk (especially when you take into account that aspects of quirks can be hereditary, so parents are often giving their quirks to their children, in a sense.

How does it not make sense? Every single quirk exists through getting it passed on through genetics. Deku got his powers through something other than genetics, bypassing the requirement everyone else has to adhere to on the whims of All-Might. He got a shortcut/cheat to superpowers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's also cheating I guess in the sense that there are people like Bakugou who don't take kindly to folks rising above their predetermined station in life.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I dunno, I think there'd be some value in having a character like Fumikage who's perhaps wise and even-keeled but not exactly booksmart, if that makes sense.

This may be just an outsider's perspective, but test scores seem to count for a lot in Japan, so having a character who's smart and capable but tests poorly could be an interesting angle to pursue.

It looks like Yaoyorozu is being set up as sort of the inverse of that. She's book smart and on paper should be a great candidate, but can't really perform outside of that environment and appears to be taking that confidence hit. Getting repeatedly owned by Mineta probably doesn't help matters either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's also the fact that her on-the-job training amounted to being a celebrity product spokesperson while her peers were off actually fighting crime.

She's smart, she's athletic, and she's got a great quirk. With the right kind of training she could seriously be somebody. She's a girl though, which means she's subject to different social pressures and expectations than her male classmates. It'll be interesting to see if Kohei goes anywhere with this.

For the record, I don't think MHA is going to turn out to be some stealth treatise on Japanese social ills or anything, but I'd be surprised if some commentary didn't leak in anyway.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Oh, I agree here too; just because he's seemed collected and competent so far doesn't necessarily make him book smart or anything, and that's a neat way to go with things.

Bad Seafood posted:

There's also the fact that her on-the-job training amounted to being a celebrity product spokesperson while her peers were off actually fighting crime.

She's smart, she's athletic, and she's got a great quirk. With the right kind of training she could seriously be somebody. She's a girl though, which means she's subject to different social pressures and expectations than her male classmates. It'll be interesting to see if Kohei goes anywhere with this.

For the record, I don't think MHA is going to turn out to be some stealth treatise on Japanese social ills or anything, but I'd be surprised if some commentary didn't leak in anyway.

Well, given that the other big new Shonen Jump series, Assassination Classroom, is pretty much entirely a "stealth" treatise on how hosed up the educational system there is and stuff, I wouldn't be too surprised if it occasionally got vocal about things.

But, yeah, Yaoyorozu seems to be having a rough time despite being top-of-the-class academically and being one of the two who got in on... Not scholarships, but, something like that, the other one being Todoroki. She's definitely got a lot going for her, hopefully she's able to put it to use and doesn't let herself get down. She's pretty neat from what we've seen so far.

...For a different character on this subject, I just realized, Tsuyu's actually pretty impressive in the opposite way. Early on, she was placing pretty low in all the tests and stuff, and despite a clever strategy only made it so far in the big event thing. Despite that, she was great in the incident at USJ, in her on-the-job straining she went and captured a stowaway on her own, and she's one of the highest-scoring kids in her class academically. Despite a rather low-key quirk compared to what her classmates have and not having anything special background-wise or anything we know about, she's been performing pretty well in the various practical and real-world things she's had to face. Tsuyu is great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Well, given that the other big new Shonen Jump series, Assassination Classroom, is pretty much entirely a "stealth" treatise on how hosed up the educational system there is and stuff, I wouldn't be too surprised if it occasionally got vocal about things.
Yeah.

Also, while not a comic, Phoenix Wright is pretty transparently a critique of the Japanese justice system.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi just kinda hits common sense stuff off and on because he's weird like that.

Most writers wouldn't have given some gravitas to the idea that the hero system is kinda broken in a lot of ways, or that yuuei's entrance exams exclude people with really useful quirks.

Momo being dejected at her high flying hero fantasy amounting to her being essentially a part time idol girl because being a hero might not be enough to pay the bills is something a lot of mangaka would probably have not done or made more of a joke.

If you want to see a more generic version of this manga read ratman; it's kinda charming in ways but it kinda made me appreciate this series more when it came out.

The jackies own however and I'd kill for a cameo from them.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 26, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Momo being dejected at her high flying hero fantasy amounting to her being essentially a part time idol girl because being a hero might not be enough to pay the bills is something a lot of mangaka would probably have not done or made more of a joke.

Funny enough while Kendou was apprehensive about the appearing on TV thing Momo was cool with it at first before it actually happened and she saw herself on TV. I am glad she points out that she can't help people out with field experience stuff because she did not get any.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jintor
May 19, 2014

so is the test to defeat the teachers or just to hold their own for a while? I'm guessing the latter. I might have missed something though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What was Kendou's quirk again? Or do we not know yet?

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
From what we've seen, we know that it at least includes making her arms and hands huge.

Beyond that, no clue. It could be that she can just enlarge her limbs, it could be more widespread alteration of her arms, and that's just easy extensions of what we've seen.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jintor posted:

so is the test to defeat the teachers or just to hold their own for a while? I'm guessing the latter. I might have missed something though.
My guess is they'll be judged on how they "Deal" with the situation.

They could probably ultimately lose but still pass depending on their performances.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi just kinda hits common sense stuff off and on because he's weird like that.

Most writers wouldn't have given some gravitas to the idea that the hero system is kinda broken in a lot of ways, or that yuuei's entrance exams exclude people with really useful quirks.

I think it's just what naturally happens when you try to ape another country/culture's media and apply it to your own culture. You see tonnes of it when they import and translate existing series aka Japanese Spiderman getting a giant mech or the Xmen cartoon getting loving awesome openings remade for them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

My guess is they'll be judged on how they "Deal" with the situation.

They could probably ultimately lose but still pass depending on their performances.

I doubt Deku and Bakugou are expected to actually defeat All Might, among other things. Yaoyorozu and Todoroki versus Aizawa's a pretty tough match for those two too; they're both the kind of people Aizawa shuts down hard. There's almost no way he's going to let Todoroki make a lot of use of his power, so their best bet is probably having Yaoyorozu kit them out when she can and/or making things to distract Aizawa long enough for Todoroki to act.

Also, I noticed something. There are twenty students in the class, so paired up that makes for ten groups. I counted the number of teachers we can see there, and I'm pretty sure it's exactly ten, counting the principal. One group is going to be facing off with the mouse-dog-bear.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

That was funny. But I found how much her tune changed to be funnier.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Roland Jones posted:

I doubt Deku and Bakugou are expected to actually defeat All Might, among other things. Yaoyorozu and Todoroki versus Aizawa's a pretty tough match for those two too; they're both the kind of people Aizawa shuts down hard. There's almost no way he's going to let Todoroki make a lot of use of his power, so their best bet is probably having Yaoyorozu kit them out when she can and/or making things to distract Aizawa long enough for Todoroki to act.

Also, I noticed something. There are twenty students in the class, so paired up that makes for ten groups. I counted the number of teachers we can see there, and I'm pretty sure it's exactly ten, counting the principal. One group is going to be facing off with the mouse-dog-bear.

I think for Yaoyorozu, it boils down to "do her creations stop working when her quirk does". Because if she can find a window where she's not being looked at, (break LoS, have Todoroki demand his attention instead, hell, Todoroki has any of a million ways where he could interfere with Aizawa's sight from mist to snow to prismatic ice blocks with a high level of refraction) there's nothing really stopping her from making something that she can keep using once she's being looked at again. I think she made an M134 a generic looking cannon in an earlier chapter? Maybe? That's going to be quite potent.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 26, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

While it's clear Deku and Bakugou are the clear focus here, I'd like to see everyone take a crack at their teachers.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, any bets of the pairings for the other students and which teacher they are going to face?

Ochako is probably going to face err, you know, spacesuit dude, forgot the name,
You know who Mineta is going to face (and get his rear end kicked by) but I wonder who will be the poor teammate that will have to endure the ordeal.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I 100% honestly hope it's Bakugou who scores whatever win condition they have to meet against All Might.

Though it just occurred to me that it might end up being the case that All Might's power unexpectedly cuts out just before Bakugou lands the winning hit and he accidentally kills All Might. That would be one hell of a blow to Bakugou.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm almost wondering if this isn't a "Honeypot" scheme designed to put Bakugou's bad behavior on display in front of the entire faculty.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm almost wondering if this isn't a "Honeypot" scheme designed to put Bakugou's bad behavior on display in front of the entire faculty.

Why bother? He already had to been straitjacketed in front of the entire world at the sports festival when he won

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that seems too hard a swerve

e: in response to chumbler's post

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
There is probably some objective beyond simple violence, like rescuing a hostage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Seems like a really convenient time to have Bakugou witness All Might go twerp form and/or find out some of the secret.

Or he could get shown up by Midoriya again.