Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rex is a step up from Sally IMO, in that it can move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

sticklefifer posted:

Going through the games chronologically, it's weird that they previously build all these mega-badass huge Metal Gears and all this advanced tech, and then you get to the MSX games and the TX-55 and the Metal Gear D seem like a major step down. Even REX seems pretty primitive now. Though I'm sure they'll retcon the poo poo out of that if they remake MG1 and MG2SS.

I think you can do a decent job of arguing the disappearance of some of the MGSV technology by the time of the Solid Snake games.

When it comes to TX-55, D and REX vs. ZEKE and Sehalanthropus, there's probably certain things to take into account. ZEKE and Sehalanthropus were made by Huey, not just a genius in his own right but one with significant backing and help--and even then, he apparently couldn't solve a lot of Sehalanthropus' engineering problems.

Later we have TX-55 and D, made by Dr. Madnar. Who's probably really good, but isn't actually building on ZEKE and Sehalanthropus, who were both lost; at best, he'd have what Big Boss himself gleaned, but Big Boss isn't a smart person in general, let alone with robotics. Later still we've got REX, built by Otacon and possibly directed in a similar way as Madnar by Liquid Snake's partial knowledge of Sehalanthropus. REX is built to a different purpose though, and built to completion, so while it may look more primitive as a battle weapon it's better at tis actual job.

I can't explain the downgrade from the iDroid. That poo poo's crazy no matter how you cut it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

I think you can do a decent job of arguing the disappearance of some of the MGSV technology by the time of the Solid Snake games.

When it comes to TX-55, D and REX vs. ZEKE and Sehalanthropus, there's probably certain things to take into account. ZEKE and Sehalanthropus were made by Huey, not just a genius in his own right but one with significant backing and help--and even then, he apparently couldn't solve a lot of Sehalanthropus' engineering problems.

Later we have TX-55 and D, made by Dr. Madnar. Who's probably really good, but isn't actually building on ZEKE and Sehalanthropus, who were both lost; at best, he'd have what Big Boss himself gleaned, but Big Boss isn't a smart person in general, let alone with robotics. Later still we've got REX, built by Otacon and possibly directed in a similar way as Madnar by Liquid Snake's partial knowledge of Sehalanthropus. REX is built to a different purpose though, and built to completion, so while it may look more primitive as a battle weapon it's better at tis actual job.

I can't explain the downgrade from the iDroid. That poo poo's crazy no matter how you cut it.

Wasn't there something in there about the Patriots censoring some of the out-of-place tech between MGSV and the modern-day games? And yeah, Rex isn't really a giant fighting robot. It's designed to waddle around rough terrain and lob a nuclear shell half a world away as a surrogate for a ICBM's first stage.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rex was so well built that even severely battle damaged it still took out another Metal Gear that was designed entirely to destroy Rex.

Though I guess the pilot might have had something to do with that as well.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't there something in there about the Patriots censoring some of the out-of-place tech between MGSV and the modern-day games? And yeah, Rex isn't really a giant fighting robot. It's designed to waddle around rough terrain and lob a nuclear shell half a world away as a surrogate for a ICBM's first stage.

You're thinking of the shagohod at the end there. Rex, between the targeting computer and the railgun, was meant to be basically firing nukes like bullets instead of rockets with detectable fuel use.

E: also wasn't Rex made by Solidus behind the Patriots' back?

Sad lions has a new favorite as of 10:08 on Sep 25, 2015

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Patriots suppressing technology is a thing. It's the reason why technology got so crazy in the like five years between MGS4 and Rising, everything the Patriots were suppressing got out after their destruction and now Raiden-stye-cyborgs are fairly commonplace in PMCs.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Late little thing from Witcher 3 - the facial animations are amazing. There's a scene where Geralt can get completely hammered with his friends and he has the silliest, drunkest little smile on his face the whole time :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chard posted:

Then iDroid is an incredibly powerful and important gaming interface, and 100% in line with the cassette-based technology of 1984 Afghanistan.

Actually you have it in Ground Zeroes so it is from the 70s. Also the "Phantom Cigar" is an e-cig.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The reason Snake barely talks is because all he can think and talk about is vaping.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Actually you have it in Ground Zeroes so it is from the 70s. Also the "Phantom Cigar" is an e-cig.

That he 'lights' with the edge of the iDroid holodisplay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Alteisen posted:

Rex was so well built that even severely battle damaged it still took out another Metal Gear that was designed entirely to destroy Rex.

Hal actually made the Rex weaker than it should be, what with the broken radome forcing an exposed cockpit deal. But then again he also secretly installed a street fighting program so it could karate kick fools.
And Sahalanthropus (big spoilers) Can't actually move on its own, it's manipulated and moved by psycho mantis

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, I don't really like the psychic kid in MGS5. "The psychic kid did it" is basically just MGS version of "A wizard did it".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, I don't really like the psychic kid in MGS5. "The psychic kid did it" is basically just MGS version of "A wizard did it".

or "Parasites did it" or "Nanomachines did it" or "Naomi did it".

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
There are a lot of posts about TPP so it may have already been posted but when you get the opportunity, steal one of the patrol trucks without the owner of it noticing. You get a pretty good radio conversation.

Spoilered for people who want to try it themselves:
Soldier: CP this is Zoya 1, my vehicle is missing. Please advise, over.

CP: Zoya 1, this is CP. There is no request for your vehicle, someone must have needed it. Finish your patrol on foot, out.

At this point you hear the soldier yell: SON OF A BITCH!

Also my emblem:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Alteisen posted:

Calaveron posted:

Hal actually made the Rex weaker than it should be, what with the broken radome forcing an exposed cockpit deal. But then again he also secretly installed a street fighting program so it could karate kick fools.
And Sahalanthropus (big spoilers) Can't actually move on its own, it's manipulated and moved by psycho mantis

Between these two I came up with my own theory: Zeke and Sahalanthropus look scary, but aren't nearly as durable as their successors. I'm not sure about Sahalanthropus, but Zeke you could take down with any weapon, fired at any part of the machine, with some areas being a bit easier to damage than others. Compare to the TX-55, which you could only destroy by basically inputting a 16 digit binary password in C4 on its feet, it wasn't armed nearly as well, but it would have been a terror to fight. Metal Gear D... I've got nothing. Rex was not something you could disable with conventional methods, it required blinding it to force the pilot to open the cockpit, then taking out the pilot. At no point do you actually do enough damage to disable it in a conventional way.

Basically, the Gears in Big Boss's time were advanced with a lot more firepower but comparatively they had paper for armor. The Gears that Solid Snake fought though were really drat tough, even if they sacrificed a few secondary weapons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sticklefifer posted:

Going through the games chronologically, it's weird that they previously build all these mega-badass huge Metal Gears and all this advanced tech, and then you get to the MSX games and the TX-55 and the Metal Gear D seem like a major step down. Even REX seems pretty primitive now. Though I'm sure they'll retcon the poo poo out of that if they remake MG1 and MG2SS.

Rex doesn't seem that primitive. The biggest difference is that it doesn't have actual arms, but it doesn't need them, and that it's not completely humanoid which it again doesn't need, and it actually worked. Going from MGSV to MG is a weird jump though for sure, I really wish they'd do a remake of MG with the fox engine and maybe not completely redesign the original Metal Gear but spiff it up a bit so it fits better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey guys? I'm playing this game called Shadow of Mordor, and oh man! It's got some cool stuff in it!

(look I've had a big backlog that I've needed to get through alright).

It's nice finally seeing all these things people were talking about months ago.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If we're talking about why Big Boss's metal gears before the MSX games are more advanced than REX, you gotta remember that ZEKE and Sahelanthropus both had essentially an unlimited budget, whereas REX was a low key DARPA black project, so they didn't have as much to work with, I don't think.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The new Dwarf Fortress version is shaping up nicely.

(Your adventurer is probably crying because you made him to kill all those children)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Even REX seems pretty primitive now.

I will loving fight you

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Do you have to advance to a certain point to be able to color in the words? Mine is just the outline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, the section for each word has 4 boxes.

The word itself, position
Outline, Body

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
"Wow", I thought, "Ground Zeroes really is taking the tone of this series in a serious dark new direction!"

And then I played the bonus missions. Never mind.

"Huh, guess that's nothing special" when you point the special flashlight at the Revengeance logo made me laugh way harder than it should have.

e: v I'm kind of glad to hear that, Phantom Pain's downloading right now. It's been a long couple of weeks of Metal Gear but I'm finally there. :dance:

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Sep 25, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

"Wow", I thought, "Ground Zeroes really is taking the tone of this series in a serious dark new direction!"
As much as I like MGSV, I have to say, it really doesn't follow up on that. At least not for the first 60 hours or so after the prologue.

e: the prologue is one of my favourite things in games. It's amazingly well done and super trippy. The Man Who Sold The World is the perfect song for it as well.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 25, 2015

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

To be fair, the RAY units were designed to counter the lovely Chinese/Russian/whoever REX knockoffs. The unique prototype's performance exceeds the mass-produced versions, just like in Otacon's Japanese animes.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zweihander01 posted:

To be fair, the RAY units were designed to counter the lovely Chinese/Russian/whoever REX knockoffs. The unique prototype's performance exceeds the mass-produced versions, just like in Otacon's Japanese animes.

REX is like the Gundam that can chop up all the Zetas that came after it, or some other anime analogue. Still love that Otacon programmed in a detailed "roar" function, because lord knows how important that was to it's intended function.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To retroactively justify why RAY has roar in Revengeance.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

ChaosArgate posted:

REX was a low key DARPA black project, so they didn't have as much to work with, I don't think.

Black project?

You're that ninja.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Smelly posted:

There are a lot of posts about TPP so it may have already been posted but when you get the opportunity, steal one of the patrol trucks without the owner of it noticing. You get a pretty good radio conversation.

CP: Zoya 1, this is CP. There is no request for your vehicle, someone must have needed it. Finish your patrol on foot, out.

Also my emblem:

i had a patrol park their truck at the wrong spot in a base and radio in saying it was missing, while i was sitting in the back waiting for them to come back to it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Captain Novolin posted:

i had a patrol park their truck at the wrong spot in a base and radio in saying it was missing, while i was sitting in the back waiting for them to come back to it.

The trucks seem to bug out more than anything else.

https://youtu.be/SfDCMZ86Dd8

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Smelly posted:

Also my emblem:

Try being suspicious with the cardboard box in a a low-moderate alert area sometime. It's a ride from start to finish.

Soldier: CP, this is Dimitri 4! I saw a cardboard box move! Over!
CP: Dimitri 4, this is CP. Knock it off. Over.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

REX is like the Gundam that can chop up all the Zetas that came after it, or some other anime analogue. Still love that Otacon programmed in a detailed "roar" function, because lord knows how important that was to it's intended function.

If you were building a giant, nuclear equipped walking tank wouldn't YOU make it roar?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Xoidanor posted:

I absolutely adore how almost everyone here has settled in for what I can only call "barbie-pink" as the color of their helicopter. :allears:

It's either that or the dazzle camo.

Dazzle4eva

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Morpheus posted:

Hey guys? I'm playing this game called Shadow of Mordor, and oh man! It's got some cool stuff in it!

(look I've had a big backlog that I've needed to get through alright).

It's nice finally seeing all these things people were talking about months ago.

What up, behind-the-times buddy? I picked it up myself the other day for the 360, and while the load times and ugly low-rez textures and crappy FPS hurt the game severely, it's fun and quirky enough for me to ignore all those downsides. I grow genuinely attached to some of the orc captains, even to the point to when they show up I just let them kill me.

Oh, Zugrug the Swift, your hideous burlap-sacked countenance is like a glorious ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. :allears:

Spalec posted:

If you were building a giant, nuclear equipped walking tank wouldn't YOU make it roar?

"Yes" is the only answer is to this question, unless you count "gently caress yes" and "why the gently caress wouldn't I?" as valid responses.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Yes" is the only answer is to this question, unless you count "gently caress yes" and "why the gently caress wouldn't I?" as valid responses.

Well, my answer is 'why settle?' Put some fuckoff big speakers in there, and you can play whatever you want. Ride of the Valkyries. Blue Oyster Cult. Tiny Tim, if you're feeling silly. :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, there's a mission in MGSV where you have to disable the communication system on one of the outposts. The way they work means you can blow the whole thing up in free-roam and then accept the mission. Halfway through the briefing Ocelot interrupts Miller telling him it's already destroyed. Miller sounds so disappointed that somebody has stolen his thunder. It goes straight to the mission complete screen and he is so annoyed that he doesn't say anything and you don't even get a rank for the mission.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In regards to the lack of an iDroid, or any other fancy personal tech, in subsequent MG games; This is easily explained by FOXHOUND's strict weapons OSP protocol. FOXHOUND does not allow their infiltrators to bring anything into a mission except the clothes on their backs so there is no chance of something being left behind that can be traced back to FOXHOUND. So Solid Snake would not have been allowed an iDroid during his missions, the S3 plan would not have allowed it in MGS2 because of this, and by the time of MGS4 there's crazier poo poo floating around than a silly holo-phone.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
And in the original Metal Gear, he found that HAM radio in the sewer! It all makes sense now! :monocle:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

McDragon posted:

Oh, there's a mission in MGSV where you have to disable the communication system on one of the outposts. The way they work means you can blow the whole thing up in free-roam and then accept the mission. Halfway through the briefing Ocelot interrupts Miller telling him it's already destroyed. Miller sounds so disappointed that somebody has stolen his thunder. It goes straight to the mission complete screen and he is so annoyed that he doesn't say anything and you don't even get a rank for the mission.

Just as a warning, this apparently makes you unable to get things that require you to S-rank every mission since the - rank is higher than an S but doesn't count as a rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Screaming Idiot posted:

What up, behind-the-times buddy? I picked it up myself the other day for the 360, and while the load times and ugly low-rez textures and crappy FPS hurt the game severely, it's fun and quirky enough for me to ignore all those downsides. I grow genuinely attached to some of the orc captains, even to the point to when they show up I just let them kill me.

Oh, Zugrug the Swift, your hideous burlap-sacked countenance is like a glorious ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. :allears:

If for any reason either of you haven't played the Arkham series, Shadows of Mordor is the same combat system. Go play Arkham City.