Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't like losing a competitive game make it more equal please.

drat, yo. Just because we bagged on your catgirl waifu game doesn't mean you have to anger troll. It's cool, man. We get it. FF14 is a gift. Feel free to tell me why I should sit through hours of an old expansion's story so that I can play with my friends in a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
How long before we see goons who have been making GBS threads on this game all year end up reinstalling when FTP hits?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

What?

This conversation was about PVP and the person I replied to was talking about MOBAs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't like losing a competitive game make it more equal please.

It's not really a whine about losing. It's more that falling behind in a MOBA is the start of a negative feedback loop -- you die, you fall behind, you die more easily now, you fall behind even more -- that can quickly predetermine whether or not you'll even be contributing meaningfully by the end of the match.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

YoshiOfYellow posted:

What?

This conversation was about PVP and the person I replied to was talking about MOBAs.

Hyperbolic screeching.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The Chairman posted:

It's not really a whine about losing. It's more that falling behind in a MOBA is the start of a negative feedback loop -- you die, you fall behind, you die more easily now, you fall behind even more -- that can quickly predetermine whether or not you'll even be contributing meaningfully by the end of the match.

In good MOBAs (yes, I realise a lot of people think that's an oxymoron) it's nowhere near as simple as that. Regardless, it's a desperately stupid comparison - it's more like a MOBA where your enemy mid is level 10 at the start of each game because he's paid more money / spent 500 hours on the game while you're still starting out.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The community of Wildstar is still hilariously bad. All the people who swore up and down that the game would never go F2P have either stopped posting on the forums or try to pretend they never said that. Some dude got called out for retroactively going back and deleting all of his old posts to the contrary.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Chairman posted:

It's this. In good games, you have the same effectiveness in a fight on minute 1 and minute 15. It keeps the game fun. In a MOBA, this is almost never true. More than half the time it's either stomp or get stomped by the time you're 10 minutes in, because someone got 2 kills in a row early on and can then freely farm your team as long as he doesn't gently caress up and has competent team mates.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Truga posted:

It's this. In good games, you have the same effectiveness in a fight on minute 1 and minute 15. It keeps the game fun. In a MOBA, this is almost never true. More than half the time it's either stomp or get stomped by the time you're 10 minutes in, because someone got 2 kills in a row early on and can then freely farm your team as long as he doesn't gently caress up and has competent team mates.

Just want to point out that big swings in momentum are a core aspect of mobas, and gaining an advantage is only half of the battle. Maintaining it without losing your lead through being too passive or too aggressive is a real thing that balances that aspect of the game out. Like, this problem is why the bounty system exists, and why team fights later on can make such an impact, and why most of your power is actually coming out of the map rather than kills.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I posted this in the Archage thread but it fits in here too. FFXIV goons lmao

Someone sent me these quotes and i thought this thread would appreciate it

KaneTW posted:

Sorry, if you can't appreciate a cute foxgirl hitting things with a weapon 3 times her size your opinion is garbo.

KaneTW posted:

Dunno, some of the lewder outfits are still pretty cute. Devilicious is probably the best outfit in Tera period.

KaneTW posted:

What? No. Elin aren't even close to how children look, jesus christ.

KaneTW posted:

Mentally they're adults, and as above they don't look like children. Not sure where you get that children part from.

as a reminder this is what they look like

goons never stop giving lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
You're doing the right thing, Hy_C.

Edit: whoops, wrong name !

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
hey

this is the wildstar thread

where we post wildstar things

like this, Carbine's stunning new ad campaign

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So I've been getting emails about the F2P launch lately.

Their grand relaunch is at ... 12... am... on a Tuesday night... I guess that way when only 3 people actually show up for the grand re-opening they don't have to give out many prizes*, also they won't suffer the servers lagging and crashing at launch either... I guess.

*Boom boxes aren't really a prize, and that's likely what they'll give out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Chairman posted:

hey

The palpable desperation is amazing.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Kittens. Bacon. Craft beer. WildStar. All things the internet loves. What's that? Only WildStar doesn't belong? Oh. Well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hit button posted:

If you mean "I do not like this thing", that's a totally valid and understandable point of view.

If you mean "This type of game which many people enjoy is inherently objectively bad" then I can't take that seriously.

Asymmetry can be an interesting factor in competitive games, and power progression games are a natural way of exploring those possibilities.

PVP between perfectly balanced parties is cool and good, but I don't see why you'd advocate for it in games where the motivation loop is based on power progression. There are plenty of pvp games which do not depend on power progression to provide that kind of experience. Why make the PVP element of an MMO into an entirely separate progression-less MOBA-like experience, when you can just play MOBAs instead?

Your argument is flawed for simple reason. Time. The power progression in a MOBA happens over the course of a match and not weeks/months. I'm okay with that. What I'm not OK with is when someone's gear, or power progression allows them to arbitrarily win (this tends to happen in a lot of MMOs). The only thing that time spent should do is make you a better player.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I've played smite with you, I know you don't believe this entirely

Yeah MOBAs are a different beast though. The gear in that are more akin to Perks, or Talent trees , or what not.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Just want to point out that big swings in momentum are a core aspect of mobas, and gaining an advantage is only half of the battle. Maintaining it without losing your lead through being too passive or too aggressive is a real thing that balances that aspect of the game out. Like, this problem is why the bounty system exists, and why team fights later on can make such an impact, and why most of your power is actually coming out of the map rather than kills.

Or you can be a complete bad and still win, like we did :q:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Hy_C posted:

Let's not turn the thread into helldump.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

The Chairman posted:

hey

Ok

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm gonna play Wildstar when it goes F2P, also I think FFXIV is legit the best MMO on the market right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man I hope the old wildstar threads dont go into archive because drat are there some horrible opinions in there going back to posts from 2+ years ago is a trip

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Man I hope the old wildstar threads dont go into archive because drat are there some horrible opinions in there going back to posts from 2+ years ago is a trip

I was foolish enough to believe that things would somehow magically be fixed in the transition from beta to live instead of the reality: bugs getting compacted as one train wreck plowed into another with each major content drop. :shepface:

The goons who try to act like they never believed in it and were making GBS threads on it from the start should indeed be laughed at.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I mean thats part of it yes, but like before most people actually got to play it. Like mid 2013 and poo poo

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

biznatchio posted:

Let's not turn the thread into helldump.
God knows we'd hate for the Wildstar thread to be bad.
Please name them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Anoia posted:

I was foolish enough to believe that things would somehow magically be fixed in the transition from beta to live instead of the reality: bugs getting compacted as one train wreck plowed into another with each major content drop. :shepface:

The goons who try to act like they never believed in it and were making GBS threads on it from the start should indeed be laughed at.

What if you hated it from the start because of the art style? :v: I never thought the game would be bad until I saw their raid video and thought anyone who wanted to play that had to be insane.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hy_C posted:

Did you post this into the eve thread I hope? They are the ones that created patient zero.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Eimi posted:

What if you hated it from the start because of the art style? :v: I never thought the game would be bad until I saw their raid video and thought anyone who wanted to play that had to be insane.

But have you SEEN warplots?

(Still can't believe they were so lacking in self awareness they left that up for as long as they did)

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Holyshoot posted:

Did you post this into the eve thread I hope? They are the ones that created patient zero.

Look at it this way, the more times he posts it the more times you get to be indignant about people bringing it up. It's a win-win.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Asimo posted:

Please name them.

Dota2 is a good moba. And the idea that a couple of early kills make it a foregone conclusion is just hilariously wrong.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Anoia posted:

I will fully admit that I too assumed that a lot of the issues were going to be fixed in the deadtime between beta and launch. I wasn't expecting them to turn around and make things even worse.

Anoia posted:

To be fair, a lot of the goons here were making GBS threads on it from the start. The only problem is that a lot of the early criticism was retarded as hell.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Look at it this way, the more times he posts it the more times you get to be indignant about people bringing it up. It's a win-win.

:golfclap:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot climbs up a mountain of the dead broken bodies of pedophiles and their defenders. from it's summit he takes a long look at his surroundings before nestling himself between the bodies of bfm and tokai. he lets out a contented sigh and says confidently, "this is the hill i want to die on"

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
although i have to wonder if this is really that simple, or is it the work of some perverse rage that people would dare sully the nature of the ffxiv thread by pointing out that one of its most prominent posters is a monster

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Threads always evolve into either shitheaps or hugboxes. Sometimes both. No exceptions.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velthice posted:

although i have to wonder if this is really that simple, or is it the work of some perverse rage that people would dare sully the nature of the ffxiv thread by pointing out that one of its most prominent posters is a monster

this is my favourite post

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Velthice posted:

Holyshoot climbs up a mountain of the dead broken bodies of pedophiles and their defenders. from it's summit he takes a long look at his surroundings before nestling himself between the bodies of bfm and tokai. he lets out a contented sigh and says confidently, "this is the hill i want to die on"

lmao

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

KaneTW posted:

this is my favourite post

so confirm or deny, it's ok to gently caress children and for children to be sexualized if they're actually 1000 year old nature spirits and totally act like adults or whatever

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velthice posted:

so confirm or deny, it's ok to gently caress children and for children to be sexualized if they're actually 1000 year old nature spirits and totally act like adults or whatever

it's absolutely not OK to gently caress children irl but as long it's not real do whatever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KaneTW posted:

it's absolutely not OK to gently caress children irl but as long it's not real do whatever you want

• Locked thread